NFL Lengthens Its Deal With Direct TV | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Lengthens Its Deal With Direct TV

Leodolphin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
unti 2014, bah...I have Dish Network and just can't see changing my whole system just for Sunday Ticket. Wish they would offer it to all sat and cable providers.

article:
If you're hoping that at some point you'll be able to get Sunday Ticket on your cable provider, think again. You're better off hoping that college football will comes to its senses and offer a playoff.

DirecTV and the NFL have worked out a deal to extend the satellite provider's exclusive contract through 2014, two years beyond the current deal. The NFL will get $1 billion a year from DirecTV under the new deal, a $300,000 bump from its current deal, which means football fans who have gotten used to paying an arm and a leg for Sunday Ticket now will have to get used to throwing in a kidney as well.

DirecTV is the only company that has ever had the rights to what's arguably the most valuable "speciality" sports product on TV. While its questionable how much money it makes on Sunday Ticket directly because of the huge check it cuts to the NFL, Sunday Ticket does give the satellite company a huge selling point in attracting customers like me, who can't imagine making it through football season with only three games to watch on a normal Sunday afternoon.

The deal does have something for those who can't get DirecTV. In the new deal, the NFL also has the right to eventually offer those fans the option of buying Sunday Ticket for their computer, although they will have to prove that they cannot get DirecTV at their house That likely won't start until 2012, and there's no word on pricing, but it might be worth planting trees now on the southwest part of your yard if you know that you're stuck with cable so you'll be ready when it does roll out.

There is good news for people who are stuck with cable--the Red Zone channel will eventually be offered for a fee to other television providers. While it won't show all of any other game, it jumps from game to game, allowing fans to watch the good parts of almost all of the early games at the same time. :boohoo:

Here is what I do. I usually keep DirecTV through the NFL season...I have the $34.99 package which includes the NFL Network. I don't have the NFL ticket, but my brother owns a sport's bar...he is a Bronco's fan though, so I go watch the games at another bar that shows every NFL game, then I watch the 2nd game at my brother's bar and he rarely charges me for anything. :up:
Once the NFL season is over I usually go back to Comcast. They always offer a cheap 6 month deal. You can also call DirecTV or Dish and threaten to go to the competition if they don't kick in 3 free months of Starz, HBO and their movie channels. I worked a lot of years in customer service and if you know how to talk and get to the right people on the phone you can get some nice freebies and comps thrown in. :d-day:

I have the best sports package you can get on Cable. But I also live less than a block from a sports bar. So I can see any game.

Great news. I made the switch to Direct TV and NFL Sunday Ticket prior to the 2003 season and it was the best move I could have made. Sunday Ticket is awesome and Direct TV itself is also great. We never lose signal and there is always something on.

Glad they extended the NFL deal. :up:

Back
Top Bottom