NFL Network- Dolphins Chris Hogan worth watching | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network- Dolphins Chris Hogan worth watching

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So I'm taking this opportunity to remind you of Chris Hogan, the pride of Ramapo High School in Franklin Lakes, N.J. Hogan, who is also known as "7/11," was a four-year starter and leading scorer at Penn State. Unfortunately for him -- at least, given his present situation -- the sport he starred in was lacrosse, not football.
That's not to say Hogan didn't play college football. He did -- as a fifth-year senior at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, N.J. If he didn't exactly establish himself as a lock to make the NFL, the two-way player did put up one of the greatest, oddest statistical lines in the history of the game. Of the 15 balls he caught during the 2010 season, three were touchdowns. Three were interceptions.

Professional football?
Why not?

"I didn't want to live with any regrets," Hogan told me Sunday afternoon.

During a pro day at Fordham, Hogan benched 225 pounds 28 times, which is not bad for a 6-foot-2, 220-pound guy. "I had a hell of a pro day," he said. "Right up there with the best in the country."
Still, his body of work was too skimpy for the scouting establishment. Hogan went undrafted and embarked on a typically anonymous and very high-risk career: He became a practice-squad player. While with the San Francisco 49ers, he rolled his ankle in a scrimmage. He got cut. He went home to Wyckoff, N.J., where he worked out and coached lacrosse. Then he signed with the New York Giants. He got cut again. Finally, during the last week of last season, he had a good workout with Miami.

"I don't have any doubt in my physical ability," he told me. "I'm trying to be a reliable guy, a guy coaches can trust."

I asked him if he's a receiver or a safety.

"A receiver," he said. "I'm a lot more comfortable running routes than backpedaling. I'm fast, physical, quick."
Hogan reportedly ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds. Even more importantly, he can get open. That's why Dolphins running back Reggie Bush famously christened him "7/11" -- as in, open 24 hours -- on last week's episode of "Hard Knocks." However, after Hogan caught just one ball in the team's preseason opener, Johnson was arrested and cut, and Hogan's story went dead. In other words: I'm not just a hard worker. I'm an athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-overload-dolphins-chris-hogan-worth-watching

Last edited by a moderator:
Hogan (apart from the 7/11 buzz) is a guy I would keep on the team. I hope to see him get at least 5 balls thrown to him from RT and 5 from MM against Atlanta. I want to see more.

I've yet to see a post about Rishard Matthews on here, or Jeff Fuller. Jesus Christ! Who are we gonna keep at WR? There's no differential between our #2WR and our #8WR

Hogan will make this team....if nothing else, for his special teams prowess. I think he will be a great assett to this team

I've yet to see a post about Rishard Matthews on here, or Jeff Fuller. Jesus Christ! Who are we gonna keep at WR? There's no differential between our #2WR and our #8WR

I want to keep all three- Fuller, Mathews and Hogan. All have something to offer. Hogan's strength is excellent, his speed is very good, his size is very good, the 7-11 storyline is good- but the thing that gets me excited is watching his explosion and quickness out of his breaks- outstanding. This is a guy who can win one on ones and can be a mismatch. A guy who can break free in the slot and is strong enough to break tackles for yac. He can be a weapon. I will be shocked if Hogan doesn't make the final 53.

I believe Chris Hogan has made the team. It would be more clear if he'd managed to catch that ball down the right sideline but the DB got away with a little bit by grabbing Hogan's left arm and not letting him go up for the ball with two hands.

Chris Hogan showed me what I needed to see with his special teams tackle and that catch where he broke a linebacker's grip and gained 17 yards from nothing. That's what you need to see. Bonus points were how he ran that nine route and made himself available to catch the ball, if not for the sneaky interference.

It's eerie how much Hogan reminds of Miles Austin. Same athleticism. Same strength. Just about the same path from UDFA to abnormally-large slot receiver. Differences of course being Miles was a kick returner and had more football experience, but the two even both came out of Monmouth.

If anyone else is a lax guy out there, you can tell from hard knocks his lacross background.

He chops his feet like he's goning to do a dodge, and the corners are not use to this approach. Its working well for him.

It's eerie how much Hogan reminds of Miles Austin. Same athleticism. Same strength. Just about the same path from UDFA to abnormally-large slot receiver. Differences of course being Miles was a kick returner and had more football experience, but the two even both came out of Monmouth.

Giddy.

I want to keep all three- Fuller, Mathews and Hogan. All have something to offer. Hogan's strength is excellent, his speed is very good, his size is very good, the 7-11 storyline is good- but the thing that gets me excited is watching his explosion and quickness of of his breaks- outstanding. This is a guy who can win one on ones and can be a mismatch. A guy who can break free in the slot and is strong enough to break tackles for yac. He can be a weapon. I will be shocked if Hogan doesn't make the final 53.

We maybe observing the same thing but using a different language to describe it.But for me his ability to "set-up" the defender is down right NASTY!!!! I wouldn't be surprise if his Lacrosse-playing has alot to do with that. A perfect and savage example is in the HK episode where he absolutely violates R.Jones and another CB(My mouth dropped!!). Honestly, I haven't seen something like that from one of our Wide-Outs since....well, Wes Welker! Not the overall quickness but the ability to throw defenders off-balance with sudden quickness, burst and most impressively I call "mental-games." It means he has the "rare" ability to shifting his body, balance and overall motion in an expected direction(From the Defenders point of view aka the "set-up") and then suddenly and completely shift "unnaturally" the other-way!!!! Like a "nasty" cross-over in BB.

Its really hard to describe, But when you see it your like ****KKKKKKKK

If anyone else is a lax guy out there, you can tell from hard knocks his lacross background.

He chops his feet like he's goning to do a dodge, and the corners are not use to this approach. Its working well for him.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that. It's a good angle the media seems pretty unprepared to cover.

Perhaps this is what I'm "trying" to describing in my post.....

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that. It's a good angle the media seems pretty unprepared to cover.

I'm not overly qualified as I've never played lacrosse, but I did call some lacrosse games in college, and the things I've seen/heard from experts is that lacrosse really helps football players with vision and balance. I know while Evan Royster was at Penn State they pointed out how (at least early in his college career) you absolutely had to wrap him up because he couldn't be knocked over due to the skills he learnt playing LAX (and he was a top 5 lacrosse recruit in the country). Royster also talked about how it helped with holding onto the ball because he became aware of everything going on around him and is able to anticipate more... which also helps prevent fumbling.

From the little I saw of Hogan, I do see the great balance that he got from LAX

I'm not overly qualified as I've never played lacrosse, but I did call some lacrosse games in college, and the things I've seen/heard from experts is that lacrosse really helps football players with vision and balance. I know while Evan Royster was at Penn State they pointed out how (at least early in his college career) you absolutely had to wrap him up because he couldn't be knocked over due to the skills he learnt playing LAX (and he was a top 5 lacrosse recruit in the country). Royster also talked about how it helped with holding onto the ball because he became aware of everything going on around him and is able to anticipate more... which also helps prevent fumbling.

From the little I saw of Hogan, I do see the great balance that he got from LAX

This really deserves an exploratory piece if Hogan makes the team. I'll try and see if I can convince Volin to line up some LAX guys to explore it.

Back
Top Bottom