NFL Network: Miami Dolphins: Most underrated/overrated players of all-time

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

jason taylor belongs on the overrated list...if he's not somethings wrong

3. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Underrated: Sam Madison (belongs to be in ring of honor)
    Overrated: Ricky Williams

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

people hate hearing that about jason taylor but provided your old enough to remember every time there was a big moment in a season where we needed him to make a play against a high end team etc jason taylor went ghost...no where to be found

did most his damage against scrub competition...way overrated

nyjunc likes this.
  5. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

as far as underrated throughout the league its def Zach. the guy on the left is a tard, to say morris is overrated. he was just looking at the numbers, glad the other guy shut him up and actually explained the three headed monster we had

6. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Bob's in the HOF were he belongs. How could he be underrated ?

Mercury was what he was , the third part of a three headed monster who has never been rated more than that.

That's the best they could come up with ?

Joe Porter was overrated. Offendall was underrated.

On the Finsider show both O.J.McDuffie and Sam Madison mentioned Oronde Gadsden as most underrated. Good choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  7. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

wes welker overrated? they mentioned his receiving stats but he was great on special teams, sometimes it takes some special teams guys awhile to come into their own as a WR (ex Steve Smith)

8. 2230

2230 Well-Known Member

Merc was the perfect compliment to Csonka and not overrated at all. If longevity is the criteria maybe but he was an extremely dangerous outside threat and they don't do undefeated without him. His stats during the two year Super Bowl championship years were almost exactly that of what Adrian Peterson had this year. 1954 yards 5.8 yards/carry and 22 touchdowns.

9. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

I think you can say the exact same thing about Zac Thomas. I liked Zac but he got wiped out against the better teams in the league. He was overrated.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah maybe but that was more about imo the dline letting centers get to him at the 2nd level...kevin mawae center for the jets ate our lunch getting to zach every time we played em...

plus i specifically remember screaming at the tv when we needed to get a sack or a stop to get off the field "jason taylor make a damn play if you're all you're cracked up to be" and him never getting anything but owned...but you'd play some also ran and he'd have like 3 sacks in a game you won by like 20...never showed up when we really needed him to...

anyone remember zach stoning bettis i think it was in the hole and by stoning i mean contact and bettis is flat on his rear end??? i used to love that rolling ball of butcher knives...

that said the whole damn defense let us down every time we needed em those years...they always fell off towards the tail end of the schedule...too much reading their own press clippings...

11. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

:lol:

12. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Yup. 6th all time in total sacks. He must have recorded every single one against the Jaguars.

13. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Jake Freaking Wrong belongs top of that list! With the myth of the Elite Franchise Left Tackle!

14. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I'd say all those Post-Marino teams we had led by Jay Fiedler and a loaded defense could be considered overrated. It is true our defense always collapsed in big moments year after year, but by that same token we had ZERO offense to speak of during those years to support those defenses. We were overrated cause media always had us as Super Bowl favorites or a top 5 team every single season even though we'd always collapse. Our teams were overrated as a whole during that stretch.

15. 13mademeafan13

13mademeafan13 Scout Team

@1:05
    [video=youtube;zTQOPcJWC4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQOPcJWC4A[/video]

16. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I frequently hear people say stuff like "Griese got carried by a great team" and "Morrall quarterbacked most of the games in the 72 season."

Bob was a GREAT quarterback. I do think he is underrated both by Dolphins fans and NFL fans in general both because he never put up gaudy stats and because the next Hall of Fame QB we had after him did.

17. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

I don't believe Griese or Morris are overrated. As one of the analysts in the video mentioned, if you're going to put together a list of the best QBs of all time, Bob Griese probably won't be mentioned until the mid 30s or so. He was very cerebral and a great field general, but never put up huge gaudy stats. He just won.

And Mercury Morris was a very valuable part of the three headed monster known as Csonka/Kiick/Morris. Defenders would be so tired and beaten up from trying to take on Csonka and then Kiick, they were exhausted by the time they had to go chasing Morris.

My vote for most overrated Dolphin goes to Keith Sims. He benefited GREATLY playing next to Webb and never really stood out. You never really saw him get beat badly, but rarely did he just dominate his man.

18. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

It is sacrilege for a Dolphins fan to call Taylor overrated. SMH.

19. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I really hope that is sarcasm. I am with Hayden on this one. To say JT is overrated is sacrilege.

Never goto the Library without your shotgun.

20. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

Griese never had to carry the team on his shoulders. The team was a machine. The proof is that there was no dropoff when he was replaced by Morrall. That does't mean Griese wasn't a great quarterback. It means Morrall was good enough to execute the pass plays within a system that worked.

21. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

The zach hit I remember most was his rookie year where he demolished Shawn Jefferson. Trying to find a video.

22. CpuFan

CpuFan A True Fan

Dan Marino overrated. Never there when it counted most. Great player but definitely overrated.

23. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

The entire Dolphins' defense from the late 90s through early 2000s was overrated as a unit. They get talked up as if they were on par with the 2000 Ravens, but they never performed anywhere close to that level when it counted. Hell, the Dolphins' defenses from the early 90s had better playoff performances.

24. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Underrated: Tim Bowens, Tim Ruddy, Reggie Roby, Brock Marion, Ferrell Edmunds,

Overrated: Chris Chambers, Keith Jackson, Reggie Bush, Brian Cox, Joey Porter, Brandon Marshall, Bobby Humphrey

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah...you're screwed when the kiebler elf is signed to a long term contract as your starting qb...

26. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Tim Bowens is good underrated. If I'm not mistaken, he's the last Fin to win ROY.

CC I don't think was that overrated. Sure he only had 1 1,000 yard season with us but he got us 43 TDs with very little help. Hell he finished 3rd in the league in receiving TDs twice with his highest reception total being 82. I think people tend to sour on him because of the disappointing 2006 season (year after his Pro Bowl) and then we traded him during 2007. While he may never have developed into the elite WR we had wanted, he was far from overrated.

27. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

You are way off here. I know you think its cool to be in the minority opinion an all, but what you said isn't an opinion, its just flat our incorrect. Many of JT's plays came in the fourth quarter against guys like Brady. He was always on the sidelines rallying the D during the 4th quarters. With all the close games we encountered playing Wannyball, this guy sealed many games. Maybe you are remembering his play the last 2 years in the league, but during his prime there's no way you could apply what you said to his game. No way.

28. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Marino never had much help, he elevated average teams to AFC contenders most of his career.

Obviously not a great QB but he was underrated by dolphin fans. You guys lost in those years b/c the D always came up small in big spots.

29. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

when is the lst time Miami played a meaningful game against NE? making plays late when the team is out of it doesn't really mean much, where was he late at NE in 2002? where was he in any playoff game? The man known for sacking the QB doesn't have a signle postseason sack despite playing 8 postseason games.

Those highly rated Ds always came up small in big spots and he was one of the leaders, taylor put up impressive #s in his career but he was highly overrated as much of the production came at non critical times.

30. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

I always struggled with Jason Taylor as well. Amazing player who made big plays in not so big moments. It would drive me nuts that he was incapable of bullrushing. Imagine if he had always been used the way Saban used him in 2006 when he was NFL Defensive MVP as an OLB. Hope we take that little morsel of knowledge and apply it to Dion Jordan

31. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I am convinced you dont even watch games. It was only a few years ago that JT helped the Jets win by strip-sacking the ball from Brady in the 4th quarter when they were in the red zone to seal a game. I guess that wasnt a meaningful game...

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

don't try and speak for me first and foremost...i could care less about being cool with the minority opinion crap you are putting out there...taylor did nothing when we needed him most...hell his last few years both here and with the jets all he did was clean up other peoples pressures and get the credit...he was washed up when he left miami the first time...and yeah he got owned a plenty in big games...first ballot hall of famer is a joke...

i'll give you that wanny ball did no one any favors...but we resigned that asshat hc and his sorry qb fiedler like they were legit hcs and qbs and we paid for it...

33. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

First off I said MIAMI not the Jets and that game you refer to was in week 2 and the Jets were up by 14 pts w/ 4 mins left. Not exactly garbage time as NE still had a chance but not exactly a pressure point in the game yet. The bigger game was the Mon Night game in dec when both teams were 9-2 and battling for the 1 seed. he had 1 tackle in that game w/ the Jets down 38-3. In the playoff game at NE my lasting memory of him was getting run over by Gronk on a 3rd down where if Taylor tackled him it would have been short of the 1st down marker and NE would have had to punt.

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i remember that game...plenty of video of taylor getting up off the ground after getting owned and pounding the ground like it was everyone elses fault but his...when in fact had the guy made a few plays ie got to testeverde that game would have been over...especially when everyone and their mother knew the jets were gonna pass every damn down...

taylors way overrated around here...

35. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I was actually talking about the 45-3 NE win over us 2 years ago but yeah in that Mon Night miracle game he had a million opportunities in the 4th qtr to make a play and failed.

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

well you can't blame taylor for that one...your whole team got rolled...and taylor was washed up anyways...from a beat a nfl tackle off the edge aspect at least

37. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

What difference does it make what team he was playing for? Brady was in the red zone with over 4 minutes left, down by 2 scores, and JT strip sacks him.....thats not good enough to call it a clutch play? Ive seen Brady make 2 scores in less than 2 minutes. If you really believe that wasnt a clutch play, then you need to get over yourself.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

All time NFL forced fumble leader with 47, finished with 139.5 sacks, and 94 passes defended.....if that's what you call overrated, then wow

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

taylors stats are nice...no doubt...no argument either...but his impact in big games was not there...he padded his stats against bad teams and bad competition...my entire point...he was not as dependable as those stats would indicate in a big game...in fact he was dissappointing frankly...and it repeated itself over and over

it got to the point where i just expected him to no show...

39. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Doesnt cam wake already have more sacks than taylor did in like 5 full seasons?

Maybe this is nuts but as a pass rusher id quite happily take Wake over Taylor if given the choice.

40. hoops

hoops exited stage left

wake over taylor as a pure pass rusher is a no brainer...