NFL on radio! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL on radio!

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
When did Sirius become the satellite provider for the NFL?

If I'm assuming correct they will be airing all the upcoming games on radio.

Too bad I got a two year agreement with XM already. :cry:

NEW YORK – December 16, 2003 – The National Football League and SIRIUS Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) today announced a seven-year agreement for SIRIUS to broadcast all NFL games live nationwide, and for SIRIUS to become the Official Satellite Radio Partner of the National Football League, with exclusive rights to use the NFL “shield†logo and collective NFL team trademarks.

Beginning with the NFL’s 2004 season, SIRIUS will carry the entire regular season as well as select preseason contests and playoff games.

As part of the agreement, SIRIUS will create “The NFL Radio Network,†an around-the-clock exclusive stream of NFL content for SIRIUS subscribers. The radio channel will provide news, features, and a wide range of other programming highlighting the NFL and its teams. The NFL Radio Network on Sirius will also include programs from NFL Network, the first television network dedicated to the NFL which launched in November.

SIRIUS will offer all of the NFL programming at no additional cost to its subscribers.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said, “SIRIUS has a strong commitment to sports broadcasting. We look forward to the great new programming that will be available to NFL fans on Sirius. Our partnership with SIRIUS provides all fans nationwide with another way to stay in touch with their favorite teams.â€Â

“The NFL is the most powerful name in sports, and SIRIUS is elated to be working with this world-class organization,†said Joseph P. Clayton, President and CEO, SIRIUS. “For the first time ever, football fans will have the opportunity to hear radio play-by-play of their favorite NFL team – called by their favorite local announcers – no matter where they are in North America. This agreement represents a major enhancement to our superior programming lineup and it underscores our ongoing commitment to enrich the SIRIUS subscriber experience.â€Â

Scott Greenstein of The Greenstein Group, an entertainment industry consulting firm that brought SIRIUS and the NFL together, commented, “This is much more than a simple broadcast license. The NFL programming provides SIRIUS with compelling content that is unavailable anywhere else while allowing the teams to connect with their out-of-market fans across the country.â€Â

The agreement between the NFL and SIRIUS is subject to customary documentation, which is expected to be completed by January 31, 2004. Details are provided in an 8-K filed by Sirius.

A complete schedule of games will be available at www.sirius.com and www.nfl.com. SIRIUS radios for the car and home, starting at $149, are available at thousands of retailers nationwide. The monthly subscription fee is $12.95, or less with prepaid subscription plans.

thanks for that. i was considering ordering one of the two satelite radio pkgs..Sirius will be my choice. Knowing that I can listen to the game in my car every week is a big PLUS.

Yea, I knew some would be interested in it. We had discussions about the NFL on radio prior to last year. We talk about how it sucked NFL.com was charging now.

BTW

A little explaination for a part of the salary cap "bump up".

"In a landmark deal for satellite radio, Sirius Satellite Radio announced Tuesday a seven-year deal with the National Football League to broadcast all NFL games live on its 100-channel subscription radio service. To cinch the deal, Sirius ponied up $188 million cash and $32 million in stock to the NFL."

Why not watch the game, rather than listin to it?

Sirius Sat Radio is the Shizz Nizzle. :woot: I just put it in my car about 2 weeks ago, and expect to have it in my house soon as well. You can also listen to Sirius online if you are a subscriber, but I don't think they'll have the games online. (don't quote me though) As it stands now, you can only listen to the music stations online, nothing with commercials like ESPN Radio or other big name stations. If you can't find something to listen to on Sirius, you are way to picky and prolly just need to crawl back into your hole. :D Another cool thing is that most stations play the uncensored versions of the songs.

Back
Top Bottom