NFL realignment options | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL realignment options

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
The big argument for keeping the Dolphins and the Cowboys in the East is "rivalry" but the real reason is "television markets." The teams in the East get the primetime games because they're popular teams with national support, and they get national support because they're often in the primetime slots.

AFC SOUTH:
MIAMI
ATLANTA
TAMPA
JAX'VILLE

AFC NORTH:
PITSBURGH
BALTIMORE
CINCINATI
CLEVELAND

AFC EAST:
NEW YORK JETS
BUFFALO
NEW ENGLAND
INDIANAPOLIS

Colts and Dolphins flip divisions. With the Dolphins heading south- and this makes far more geographic sense- but I thought we should retain the old divisions as much as possible. The Colts used to be in the east and their rivalry with the Patriots is certainly a welcome addition.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/5/8/...aiders-2010-draft-report-on-te-rob-gronkowski

Don't change what isn't broken. This goes into the "another stupid idea column". I sincerely hope that Roger Goodell doesn't see it.

I feel dirty for clicking a "Pats Pulpit" link.

... Did get a chuckle out of the "League listens to science when it doesn't interfere with their vendetta" crap concerning the tainted Mexican meat part of the article. :lol: They're such a bunch of whiny bitches.

I'd leave it as is. At the end of the day, the Dolphins have established rivalries with the Pats, Bills, and Jets that's heated, traditional, and fun. I'm not sure you see that level of heat everywhere. For example, do Tennessee and Jacksonville really care about each other that way? So, Miami is lucky to be in a passionate, heated division.

Furthermore, which teams are good at any given time can be very fickle. Indianapolis has been exploiting a pathetic division for many years. But that may be ending soon, as Jax is emerging big time and even Tennessee has a nice looking quarterback. NE is not going to be strong forever and is probably in about the 8th inning of their run. Itty bitty Janine Garofolo and the erratic NC State 3rd rounder do not exactly inspire confidence in their future. I'm not sure Belichick has the guts to coach past Brady's run so you could see Josh McDaniels in there.

It'd be ironic if Miami gets tired of being beaten to a pulp by NE just in time for the balance to shift to other teams like Jax and Tenn.

But, for arguments sake, imagine we do actually re-align, for no good purpose. First of all, I wouldn't have a free for all with switching conferences. That would be confusing and unnecessary. I mean, Seattle swapped but it's not needed.

So, here is what I'd do if it were deemed necessary.

East
Pats, Jets, Bills, Ravens

North
Browns, Steelers, Indianapolis, Bengals.

South
Houston, Jax, Tenn, Mia

West
Raiders, Chargers, Broncs, KC

NFC East
Washington, Giants, Eagles, Panthers

North
Bears, Lions, Pack, Minn

South
Atl, TB, NO, Dallas

West
Sea, Rams, 49ers, Cards

The one team that jumps out as odd would be KC in the west but there just aren't enough western teams.

I'm done with us playing in the snow. With all sentimental and rivalry stuff to the side, your proposed realignment location wise makes a lot of sense.

The Rams moving back to LA helps the NFC in terms of Geographic purity. For giggles, you could flip Dallas & Carolina.

Fixing the AFC is easy.... Indy to the North, BMore to the East, & Miami to the South.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

My computer is similarly disgusted. Hope there are no infectious diseases or viruses.

Check for Spyware & make sure there is enough air being circulated.

Don't change what isn't broken. This goes into the "another stupid idea column". I sincerely hope that Roger Goodell doesn't see it.

Except it actually is somewhat broken. You've got growing attendance issues across the sport with rising ticket prices, stadiums that are too big, and a better home experience. It doesn't make much sense anymore for such a regional team like Miami playing in a division with three teams all the way up in the northeast and one of those teams having run virtually unopposed in that division for 15 years now.

There are other reasons for doing this, but the NFL has needed to address this for some time now.

Just for FUN - OPINION ONLY! I know this will NEVER Happen

AFC
EAST: Patriots, Jets, Bills, Giants
SOUTH: Dolphins, Bucs, Jags, Falcons
WEST: Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers
NORTH: Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Colts

NFC
EAST: Panthers, Redskins, Ravens, Eagles
SOUTH: Titans, Saints, Cowboys, Texans
WEST: Seahowks, 49ers, Cardinals, Rams
NORTH: Vikings, Lions, Packers, Bears

Kept rivalries as much as possible, with mixing it up a bit to create new ones. (e.g. Cowboys & Texans playing twice a year, etc.) Minimizing the number of teams that change conferences. for those that believe that conference is sacrosanct, nobody seems to be complaining now that the Seahawks are in the NFC. :ponder:

Again, this will NEVER be the alignment as the NFL want to move a team to England, Mexico, maybe Canada

I think we're closer to getting rid of the division format all together and just going with an AFC and NFC. Top records in each conference make the playoffs and seeded solely on records. If New England has the top record in the AFC and Miami has the second Miami should be the number two seed. No more allowing an 8-8 team into the playoffs at the expense of a team with a better record. What would be fun and simple would be to expand each conference to 17 teams and then have the Dolphins play a 16 game schedule facing each of the other AFC teams once. We wouldn't get to see some of the good inter-conference match ups, but each AFC team would have a balanced schedule with the others. All the match ups would be based on a two year cycle, i.e. the Dolphins play the Patriots on the road one year and at home the next.

LOL, no offense but if you honestly think the commissioner of the NFL would be reading a post like this from this newsgroup… Sufficient to say you have nothing to worry about!

I'd leave it as is. At the end of the day, the Dolphins have established rivalries with the Pats, Bills, and Jets that's heated, traditional, and fun. I'm not sure you see that level of heat everywhere. For example, do Tennessee and Jacksonville really care about each other that way? So, Miami is lucky to be in a passionate, heated division.

Furthermore, which teams are good at any given time can be very fickle. Indianapolis has been exploiting a pathetic division for many years. But that may be ending soon, as Jax is emerging big time and even Tennessee has a nice looking quarterback. NE is not going to be strong forever and is probably in about the 8th inning of their run. Itty bitty Janine Garofolo and the erratic NC State 3rd rounder do not exactly inspire confidence in their future. I'm not sure Belichick has the guts to coach past Brady's run so you could see Josh McDaniels in there.

It'd be ironic if Miami gets tired of being beaten to a pulp by NE just in time for the balance to shift to other teams like Jax and Tenn.

But, for arguments sake, imagine we do actually re-align, for no good purpose. First of all, I wouldn't have a free for all with switching conferences. That would be confusing and unnecessary. I mean, Seattle swapped but it's not needed.

So, here is what I'd do if it were deemed necessary.

East
Pats, Jets, Bills, Ravens

North
Browns, Steelers, Indianapolis, Bengals.

South
Houston, Jax, Tenn, Mia

West
Raiders, Chargers, Broncs, KC

NFC East
Washington, Giants, Eagles, Panthers

North
Bears, Lions, Pack, Minn

South
Atl, TB, NO, Dallas

West
Sea, Rams, 49ers, Cards

The one team that jumps out as odd would be KC in the west but there just aren't enough western teams.
Geographically & keeping the NFC and the AFC intact this makes the most sense

Devils Advocate for not mixing up conferences:

Having teams like the Dolphins and Bills play each other allows for the potential of home team advantages - the Bills playing the Dolphins in the cold and the Fins having the heat home advantage when a cold weather team comes in. If everyone from same climate plays each other then there are much less "home field advantages".

Back
Top Bottom