NFLDraftScout.com 2017 Senior Bowl: Reddick shows off athleticism | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLDraftScout.com 2017 Senior Bowl: Reddick shows off athleticism

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Temple linebacker Haason Reddick (6-foot-1 1/2, 237 pounds) is trying to show that he belongs in the former of the two categories with his performance this week in Mobile.
At Temple this past season, Reddick was primarily used as an edge player, standing up or rushing with his hand in the ground as a defensive end. He would occasionally stand up as an off-ball linebacker, but mostly as a spy, limiting the opportunities for scouts to evaluate him in coverage.
During Wednesday's practice, Reddick was used on rushing, blitzing and off-ball linebacker drills, showing his wide range of abilities. As a rusher, blockers had a tough time slowing him down due to his initial burst and flexibility to dip around the edge. He got the best of Pittsburgh offensive tackle Adam Bisnowaty on a quick inside move that left the Pitt blocker helpless to counter. During pass pro drills for the running backs, Reddick blitzed from different angles and made several of the backs attempting to slow him down look silly.
The telling test this week for Reddick is his ability to hold up in coverage drills. It is obvious he is still feeling the position out as an inside linebacker, taking things slow as he figures out where his eyes need to be. When asked to cover running backs out of the backfield, Reddick was a tad wild with his lower body, but even though he gave up initial spacing, his athleticism allowed him to recover in flash, knocking the ball away.
Some teams will view Reddick as an edge rusher while others will look for him to make the full transition to inside linebacker. But regardless, he has shown this week that his athleticism allows him to be a quick study with new responsibilities.
Temple has produced only one NFL player drafted in the top 50 over the past two decades (Muhammad Wilkerson, 30th overall to Jets in 2011), but Reddick is on his way to being the second.

[h=3]More observations from Wednesday's North practice:[/h]

• The tight end group on the South squad receives most of the attention, and rightfully so, with a roster that boasts O.J. Howard, Evan Engram and Gerald Everett. But Florida International's Jonnu Smith (6-foot-2 3/4, 245 pounds) deserves praise thrown his way for his performances this week during practice. He is an athletic route runner with a smooth release and sharp footwork in and out of his breaks to create room to work as a pass-catcher. Smith is guilty of allowing the ball into his body at times, but he also flashes the reliable hands to snatch away from his body. He doesn't have an ideal frame for the position, but has been better than expected as a blocker during drills. His draft arrow is pointing up.

• Several evaluators project Western Michigan's Taylor Moton (6-foot-5 3/8, 330 pounds) inside to guard, but he has held up well as an offensive tackle during practice. Moton started at right tackle his first two seasons in Kalamazoo before moving inside to guard as a junior and then back outside to right tackle as a senior so he is experienced in both spots. A move inside to a smaller area will not help mask some of his issues, but he is a wide, well-built mover who can anchor and use his raw power to dominate rushers once he engages. Entering the week, Moton was viewed by scouts as a top-100 prospect, and that shouldn't change based on his practices so far.

• Just like every football field he has played on since high school, Eastern Washington wide receiver Cooper Kupp (6-foot-1 1/2, 198 pounds) isn't the biggest or fastest player at Ladd Peebles Stadium this week. But that has never stopped him from producing before, and it certainly isn't stopping him during Senior Bowl practices. Kupp is routinely creating separation from cornerbacks with field leverage and route savvy, giving quarterbacks a window to deliver a catchable pass. The NCAA's all-division record holder in receiving yards (6,464), Kupp might be a better football player than athlete, but let's not overthink this: that isn't a bad thing.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ws-off-athleticism-during-wednesday-practice/

Both the temple kids had very good days today

Reddicks like a house of fire into the backfield

Draft him as a 34 wilb...that way you get all the athlete and run and chase he doesnt have to be as instinctual as the other ilb and he can stack and shed at the 2nd level and los having played de in college...plus you can rush him on oversets and make for a dynamite interior gap blitzer

Be the athlete run chase and cover backer wilb like a ryan shazier...and both were college des convert to 34 wilbs in the pros

like shazier the actual lb instincts off tbe los would be a work in progress...looks further along in actual space play with coverage than shazier did but im sure thats mostly athlete over anything else at this stage

That will be the pro comparison...best way to get an every down player out the gate too

Both the temple kids had very good days today

Reddicks like a house of fire into the backfield

Draft him as a 34 wilb...that way you get all the athlete and run and chase he doesnt have to be as instinctual as the other ilb and he can stack and shed at the 2nd level and los having played de in college...plus you can rush him on oversets and make for a dynamite interior gap blitzer

Be the athlete run chase and cover backer wilb like a ryan shazier...and both were college des convert to 34 wilbs in the pros

like shazier the actual lb instincts off tbe los would be a work in progress...looks further along in actual space play with coverage than shazier did but im sure thats mostly athlete over anything else at this stage

That will be the pro comparison...best way to get an every down player out the gate too

Shazier is faster and more explosive, but Reddick is more agile. He's a better pass rusher and more natural in man coverage. He pairs his agility with heavy hands, and he's relentless. He'll get sacks in the NFL. He may not be as heavy, but comparing him to Beasley, he's stronger, has bigger hands, and the same arm length. I think he'll post a better 3-cone, too. It may take him a season, but Reddick will be a significant threat off the edge in passing situations. I had Beasley as a top-5 player, so I'm not saying Reddick is on his level, but he has the strength to deal with OL - given his agility and punch. Shazier was a better SULB prospect. He made a ton of plays at OSU, and Reddick doesn't have that background. Shazier was also younger and coverted to LB in college.

They're both great athletes, and I can see a similar role for Reddick in base sets, but there are also some key differences.

Im not sure what you are projecting here is it de every down or strong side backer on early downs and sub edge?

Im seeing von miller im seeing beasley...beasley especially in college carried 34 wolb weight at clemson then bulked up

The hold up here is 237 unless you think that he can add good weight to that 6 foot 1 and a half frame and not lose anything...you may be right but im not sure i see the frame for it and hes getting extensive off the los lb looks

Im doubting hes gonna bulk up prior to the combine given hes gonna run and wants to run like the wind

Anyways to me the safest play is 34 wilb...although one of the best things he does is edge rush so im not ruling it out just seems unlikely to me...i dont think he can carry von miller weight on that frame

If teams do project what you seem to be saying he will go a lot higher than pick 22 like miller and beasley did

I think the difference here with a reddick relative to a von miller or vic beasley is they both were 6 foot 3 reddick is a full inch and a half shorter makes it harder to project weight gain on that frame and not scraping any athlete

Although if he comes to the combine 245 or north i guess we will know hes looking to be more edge rusher than true off the los lb

I'm saying WLB (ILB in 3-4, OLB in 4-3) on base downs with the ability to cover or rush off the edge in passing situations.

how many teams you know that take the base weakside lb in the sub and rush him on the edge?

most weakside backers play a off the los nickel lb also because they are the range and the space move athlete lbs in the system...

if you want him to rush in the sub I think you would project more strong in base that way you have the mike and wlb for the nickel/sub as actual lbs...it just doesnt seem to add up for me given I don't recall ever seeing it...a wlb on base downs that rushes on the edge in the nickel/sub

Last edited by a moderator:
how many teams you know that take the base weakside lb in the sub and rush him on the edge?

most weakside backers play a off the los nickel lb also because they are the range and the space move athlete lbs in the system...

if you want him to rush in the sub I think you would project more strong in base that way you have the mike and wlb for the nickel/sub as actual lbs...it just doesnt seem to add up for me given I don't recall ever seeing it...a wlb on base downs that rushes on the edge in the nickel/sub

His closest comp from a size/college-usage perspective (entering the NFL) is probably James Harrison. His hands (at times) remind me of Harrison's, but overall, I like a mini Von Miller comp best. You like Shazier. None are perfect. I would be tempted to try him at SLB, but I think he can play either. Silver noted in VP that some analysts are even thinking Mike (I noted K. Alexander and D. Jones as examples that support this argument). My overarching point is that he's a unique player with no perfect comp. Normally, that's a red flag (maybe I'm wrong, and it is), but his closest comps are all All Pro players. I think his team will want to take advantage of his ability to rush the passer - as well as his versatility and coverage ability, but I'd expect him to be rushing off the edge more often than not on 3rd and long.

Its the von miller and beasley stuff thats throwing me off here

So im just gonna use the von miller one specifically given you reference him as being a mini version

In miamis d specifically assuming miami were to draft him at 22 give me the run down of his usage base and nickel and sub

Cause miami and every team plays a ton in nickel and even the sub has primary off the los 2 lbs on the field so give it to me straight from usage aspect/role in each package

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the von miller and beasley stuff thats throwing me off here

So im just gonna use the von miller one specifically given you reference him as being a mini version

In miamis d specifically assuming miami were to draft him at 22 give me the run down of his usage base and nickel and sub

Cause miami and every team plays a ton in nickel and even the sub has 2 lbs on the field so give it to me straight from usage aspect/role in each package

In base, I would like him at either LB spot, but I would prefer him at WLB to start; in Nickel, again, I'd prefer to keep him at WLB, but I think he can play either; in Sub, I'd line him up at RE or LE, but you could use his versatility on zone blitzes.

If I remember correctly, Denver ran a lot of 4-3 Under with Miller, putting him on the line as a SLB. Miami runs more 4-3 Over, so even if he played SLB, it'd be off the line, and his stature shouldn't be a significant problem (given his strengths). I have no problem seeing Reddick at that spot, but his speed would shine at WLB.

His movement reminds me of Miller - his speed and bend, but just the way he moves in general. I'm not suggesting he's best suited for the same role on base downs. Of all his talents, his bend off the edge is the hardest to find, and if I were his DC, I would want to utilize it, so on passing downs, I would have him rushing the QB. Finding things he's good at won't be hard. As a hypothetical, if Miami drafted Reddick in the 1st and D. Fields in the 3rd or 4th, Miami would play Fields at SLB and Reddick at WLB on base downs. Either could rush the QB on passing downs. In some Nickel situations, Fields could kick down to DE. You'd have a lot of zone blitz options with that pair, too. Given Miami's holes at LB, getting a guy (Reddick) who can do everything isn't a bad start.

In base, I would like him at either LB spot, but I would prefer him at WLB to start; in Nickel, again, I'd prefer to keep him at WLB, but I think he can play either; in Sub, I'd line him up at RE or LE, but you could use his versatility on zone blitzes.

If I remember correctly, Denver ran a lot of 4-3 Under with Miller, putting him on the line as a SLB. Miami runs more 4-3 Over, so even if he played SLB, it'd be off the line, and his stature shouldn't be a significant problem (given his strengths). I have no problem seeing Reddick at that spot, but his speed would shine at WLB.

His movement reminds me of Miller - his speed and bend, but just the way he moves in general. I'm not suggesting he's best suited for the same role on base downs. Of all his talents, his bend off the edge is the hardest to find, and if I were his DC, I would want to utilize it, so on passing downs, I would have him rushing the QB. Finding things he's good at won't be hard. As a hypothetical, if Miami drafted Reddick in the 1st and D. Fields in the 3rd or 4th, Miami would play Fields at SLB and Reddick at WLB on base downs. Either could rush the QB on passing downs. In some Nickel situations, Fields could kick down to DE. You'd have a lot of zone blitz options with that pair, too. Given Miami's holes at LB, getting a guy (Reddick) who can do everything isn't a bad start.

Thats solid analysis thanks...i think the thing i was getting at was if we used him in the sub like you envision and i dont necessarily disagree with it although i think hed be better suited to add some weight to do it it still leaves us with a nickel/sub nother lb next to kiko need

And i think miami would weigh that in terms of fit...again just my thoughts but if miami was able to add an edge sub like a melvin ingram who also plays strong in base reddick added as a starting wlb and nickel backer with some package edge play and gap blitz etc helps complete the front more minus a 2 down base de with run stuff abilities

Right now miami to my knowledge doesnt have a 4th rounder and its still up for debate if we will get a comp 3 although maybe we will but even if we do if we want reddick its pick 22 or forget it and given the lb stuff is more projection than tape and the frame isnt overly ideal i do believe he will come to us barring a 34 team taking him as a wilb

And i also think that while the off the los play will be a work in progress miami needs that level run chase and close athlete something serious...trying to get by with slugs and zero cod and range athletes at lb and in the nickel needs to end...teams murder our athleticism and range/close in the nickel more than anything which is why we give up 3rd and longs on repeat...separate from just shoddy safety play due to attrition more than anything else

Thanks for providing me with your vision

Thats solid analysis thanks...i think the thing i was getting at was if we used him in the sub like you envision and i dont necessarily disagree with it although i think hed be better suited to add some weight to do it it still leaves us with a nickel/sub nother lb next to kiko need

And i think miami would weigh that in terms of fit...again just my thoughts but if miami was able to add an edge sub like a melvin ingram who also plays strong in base reddick added as a starting wlb and nickel backer with some package edge play and gap blitz etc helps complete the front more minus a 2 down base de with run stuff abilities

Right now miami to my knowledge doesnt have a 4th rounder and its still up for debate if we will get a comp 3 although maybe we will but even if we do if we want reddick its pick 22 or forget it and given the lb stuff is more projection than tape and the frame isnt overly ideal i do believe he will come to us barring a 34 team taking him as a wilb

And i also think that while the off the los play will be a work in progress miami needs that level run chase and close athlete something serious...trying to get by with slugs and zero cod and range athletes at lb and in the nickel needs to end...teams murder our athleticism and range/close in the nickel more than anything which is why we give up 3rd and longs on repeat...separate from just shoddy safety play due to attrition more than anything else

Thanks for providing me with your vision

Thanks man. Agree on all points.

Shazier is faster and more explosive, but Reddick is more agile.

This is absolutely correct. I just posted a review of Reddick in another thread, before seeing this one.

Reddick can't be an inside linebacker, based on what I watched in Wednesday's practice. Poor instincts. He needs to be on the outside where diagnosing is less important and one on one situations are at forefront. Reddick is very quick in a short area so he can dodge blocks and also turn the edge. He'll win that last second burst to the quarterback based on that rare agility and attacking attitude.

I have to say I still don't understand how Temple lost the bowl game to Wake Forest. One of the strangest results in many years. They sleepwalked through the first half and dug a hole so deep they couldn't overcome it despite Wake Forest losing the starting quarterback for virtually all of the second half.

I finally watched Thursday's practice. Reddick was much better at inside linebacker than the day earlier. Primarily it was because they practiced pass plays on Thursday compared to mostly runs on Wednesday. Reddick's instincts currently are far better against the pass than the run from the inside, especially when he has direct coverage responsibility or someone enters his area cleanly. He struggles in run diagnosis particularly when there's any type of misdirection.

Reddick also looked decent from the inside in the early stages of the game. But I had to stop watching the game. Those uniforms were so ghastly I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't tell who anyone was and didn't care.

It's preposterous that Savage used wonderful basic white and red uniforms during practice and then switched to crap the 17-21 years olds would have picked for the game itself. I sense he spared his scouting buddies and once they were out of town he surrendered.

Back
Top Bottom