NFLPA enters negotiations with Commissioner Goodell Collective Bargaining Agreement | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLPA enters negotiations with Commissioner Goodell Collective Bargaining Agreement

We'll see how this plays out with CJ2k in the next few months. It's crazy to think that Tenn has any issue with paying the man he is pretty much there whole offense.

I think if any player has a right to buck for a new contract right now, it's Chris Johnson. Running backs have arguably the shortest window of any player to get paid. Miami is already showing that 29 is the new 30, in that regard. I hate hearing all this crap about how dastardly it is for Chris Johnson to not be honoring the contract he signed. Teams don't honor contracts. They cut people. There are positive and negative consequences as a result of that action, cutting a player. Chris Johnson is doing his thing, and there are positive and negative consequences from that action. So that just leaves the fans out there deciding to hate on one side for doing their thing, and not on the other side for doing their thing. I think the fans ought to stay pretty neutral on it.

i would start getting ready for a work stoppage...that's my read on it at least...the pessimist in me when it comes to these kind of things...

in austin spitlers recent interview i saw he said that at the rookie symposium the nfl was telling the players to save their money (likely work stoppage)

i hope it doesn't happen...figures we'd be ready to contend on a yearly basis when this is likely to go down...

The madness I want to see stopped would be this:

Player: The owners make a ton of money and I want my share. I suffer for the game of football during my relatively short career, so make me a rich man. I deserve to be.

Owner: The players salaries are driving up the cost of doing business. I had to raise prices for tix, parking, and food/drinks to compensate for this never-ending escalating expense. I even invented a B.S. concept to bring in even more revenue called a P.S.L. Gotta give me credit for that. If need be, I'll event another.

Fan: Appreciate you taking me into account. Guess I'm screwed no matter how your CBA comes out. Thanks.

Thing is, since the owners won't even open the books, nobody knows if the owners really do need to increase ticket prices or if they're just squeezing the fans because of inelastic demand.

Thing is, since the owners won't even open the books, nobody knows if the owners really do need to increase ticket prices or if they're just squeezing the fans because of inelastic demand.

That's fair; I support transparency here. I just don't expect it to be a smoking gun. Financial gurus can make any given money situation look however they like, and both sides have plenty of them.

I have heard the players would concede to a rookie salary cap if the contracts were limited to a max 3 year tenor.
I wonder what kind of other concessions they would look to try and insert since this is one of their biggest bargaining chips:
- more guaranteed contracts
- arbitration possibilities
- retiree benefits

this will be an interesting negotiation to track

This is something that strikes me as a possible solution. It's one thing that baseball has that ensures younger players are paid even before FA, but with the NFL it would have to be compacted to working within a shorter timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom