NHL, XM Satellite Radio announce 10-year, $100 million deal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NHL, XM Satellite Radio announce 10-year, $100 million deal

NuttyFin

Gamer
Reaction score
NHL, XM Satellite Radio announce 10-year, $100 million deal

September 12, 2005
NEW YORK (Ticker) - Less than a month after signing a TV deal with Comcast, the NHL has inked a long-term radio contract.

On Monday, the NHL announced an exclusive 10-year, $100 million agreement with XM Satellite Radio. The network will become the league's exclusive satellite radio broadcast partner in 2007.

XM Satellite Radio, which has over 4.4 million subscribers, will begin broadcasting NHL games on opening night, October 5.

Last month, the league announced a multi-year pact with cable giant Comcast, which will televise at least 58 regular-season games on its Outdoor Life Network. XM Satellite Radio will cover over 1,000 games per season, including the All-Star Game, the Stanley Cup playoffs and the Stanley Cup Final.

"We're delighted to have XM as our newest satellite radio partner," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said. "At this exciting time in the league's history, a new partnership with XM allows us to offer hockey fans unprecedented NHL coverage on the nation's largest satellite radio service."

XM will create a dedicated NHL radio channel, which will be available in Canada through its partner Canadian Satellite Radio. CSR, which is funding a portion of the agreement, recently was approved by the Federal Cabinet as a licensed distributor of satellite radio in Canada.

"We are thrilled about the National Hockey League's decision to partner with XM Satellite Radio," XM president and CEO Hugh Panero said. "The clear winners of this partnership are the millions of hockey fans in the U.S. and in Canada who are incredibly passionate about their favorite NHL team and who will now be able to follow them regardless of where they call home."

XM is losing ground to Sirius.....The NHL package? I love hockey, but the majority of Americans didnt even know they went on strike for a year.

I'll stick w/ Sirius...NFL, NCAA ftbl and bbl, NASCAR next year, Stern in January and Margaritaville.......everything a growing boy needs :lol:

MoFinz said:
XM is losing ground to Sirius.....The NHL package? I love hockey, but the majority of Americans didnt even know they went on strike for a year.

I'll stick w/ Sirius...NFL, NCAA ftbl and bbl, NASCAR next year, Stern in January and Margaritaville.......everything a growing boy needs :lol:

losing ground to Sirius? are you kidding me?

Dudeman said:
losing ground to Sirius? are you kidding me?

Yeah...do you even follow the biz? I do, cuz i sell 'em Notice how XM dumped the ala carte plans? Its cuz the all for one price from sirius was eating into their base. Add in all the exclusive POPULAR programming and Sirius is quickly growing.
But you enjoy lame-o Opie and Anthony while the Stern fans are buying in anticipation and the NASCAR fans get into it for next year.
:D

MoFinz said:
Yeah...do you even follow the biz? I do, cuz i sell 'em Notice how XM dumped the ala carte plans? Its cuz the all for one price from sirius was eating into their base. Add in all the exclusive POPULAR programming and Sirius is quickly growing.
But you enjoy lame-o Opie and Anthony while the Stern fans are buying in anticipation and the NASCAR fans get into it for next year.
:D

:lol: , please........XM has over 3 mil more subscribers.....

oh yeah, Stern....he's great :rolleyes: ****hoo, hoo, hoo...I invented everything********

I'll take my O&A thank you very much. Much better to hear the 2 along with Norton and friends talk about things that guys talk about when they hang out, rather than sex EVERY SINGLE SHOW!

XM has the most coveted sport on its programming....baseball

everybody has off on a Sunday, but there's NO WAY to make it to all 162 games during a baseball season, and thats where XM comes in

but if you like Sirius, hey more power to you....thats your opinion, and thats fine...

but lets not even talk about the little doggie company's "portable" receiver in comparison to the MyFi

Slappy8800 said:
everyone has off on sunday? tell that to my boss...

Yeah, me too.

All i will say is....watch the stock and see which one goes where :lol:

Back
Top Bottom