Nick Buoniconti's announcement (Warning: Heartbreaking video) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Buoniconti's announcement (Warning: Heartbreaking video)

endorPHINS72

Restore the greatness!
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score

The video I posted above moved me to tears. To see Nick Buoniconti, one of the most revered members of the Miami Dolphins alumni, reduced to a state like this is heartbreaking. I hear the pain and fear in his voice, but I also hear the will and strength that made him a HOF linebacker. I pray that he can keep his memories and mind for as long as he can, and that he and his family can share as much love together as possible.

Brain disorders like CTE very close to home for me. Over the summer, I resigned from my job and moved to my parents' hometown to become my father's caregiver. My father is 85 and suffers from Parkinson's and early stages of dementia. As recent as fifteen years ago, he was department chair and well-respected professor at the local university. He taught Communication Studies and authored several books. Now, he struggles to put basic sentences together and I have to help him with the most basic of tasks.

I know many of you out there have family and loved ones that have been affected by Parkinson's, dementia, Alzheimer's, CTE, and other brain disorders. My heart goes out to you and your loved ones. But for the younger FinHeaven members out there who have younger parents, please cherish them and listen to them when they tell their "boring" stories. Because one day, they not only might not remember the stories, but your name.

All my best to your dad. Sounds like he's had a great life and career. My father was also a college professor. You made the best choice to move back home and help.

I echo everything in your final paragraph, the terrific advice to others. And don't just listen to your parents' stories. Encourage them. Record them, even if surreptitiously. It will be treasured later. Ask questions. Grandparents also, if you are so fortunate.

I moved away from Las Vegas in 2008 when my mother caught MRSA in a rehab center. She died within weeks. I planned to return full time to Las Vegas but then my dad was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis exactly one month after mom died. That condition carries 2-5 years life expectancy and there is no cure. I am so glad I stayed with dad as his caregiver, even if it derailed many of my Las Vegas connections. Dad thanked me profusely for it. We had many great experiences in those 3 years and 9 months, although I wouldn't wish that condition on anyone.

In our family we have a tradition of making a video recording of a person late in life as they describe their experiences. I highly recommend it. The person dresses well and sits in a chair in an easily recognized family setting as questions are asked but mostly the person simply details their life and anything they want to express. With mom unfortunately it was maybe a year late. We still treasure that video but she was on a medication for a condition called tardive dyskinesia so she was tapping her foot incessantly and simply not as sharp as her life norm. With dad he was still in great shape. It was so tragic he caught the pulmonary fibrosis because mentally he never lost anything. I prepared the interview with dad. For some reason he was skeptical I would be fully prepared, that I would know what areas to explore from his younger years. Yes, that stung a little bit. More than a little bit. But everything went great. Dad perked up once he sensed that the conversation was covering all the topics he prioritized, that my sister and I were allowing him to talk while interjecting just enough questions. Dad told me later that the one thing he didn't want was a stupid exploration of, "What's your favorite this, and what's your favorite that."

With dad we have almost 5 hours of that interview tape, plus several hours of audio tapes I made during day to day experiences. For example, if he was arguing with a company on the phone I'd grab the tape recorder and turn it on for the duration. It may have been mostly mundane at the time but years after his death it's priceless to listen to my dad and how he handled something like that. Day to day experiences and not manufactured events. I'm glad I was so secretive and recorded one type of thing after another: Dinner table, driving in the car, watching sporting events together, you name it.

It’s a tough situation to deal with- my Mom is dealing with it as well- she was poisoned from a hip replacement and lost most of her memory. The worst part of it is I end up losing patience with her, thankfully my wife who normally isn’t the most patient person, is wonderful with her. She also pulls me aside and reminds me from time to time to be more patient.

Unfortunately it will come to many of us, football players or not. I do wonder though if more isn’t done (if that is even realistically possible) if CTE won’t be the end of the game as we know it.

I came back east after 22 years and a divorce in SoCal to be with my dad during his declining years after a few strokes, each of which took a little more out of his cognition, a little longer time to snap back from and being exploited by a care-giver. Towards the end, a few more killer strokes, a broken hip and ultimately aspiration got me to the point of deciding on hospice vs a likely feeding tube-sustained vegetative state. (the only time I really regretted being an only child). I was there late into the night when he finally slipped away, playing his favorite Engelbert Humperdinck songs on the cds I had burned for the occasion.

It was a tough couple of years and I had to de-prioritize other important people in my life, but when your parent needs you and there's only limited quality time left to spend with them, reminisce, and share how much you appreciate them, IMO, the decision is more than justified if other obligations don't stand in your way.

You are definitely doing the right thing and when over, will never look back in the rear view mirror with regret

It was a tough couple of years and I had to de-prioritize other important people in my life, but when your parent needs you and there's only limited quality time left to spend with them, reminisce, and share how much you appreciate them, IMO, the decision is more than justified if other obligations don't stand in your way.

You are definitely doing the right thing and when over, will never look back in the rear view mirror with regret

We all need to remember this. How many times were they there for us? When you become a parent yourself- its a lesson of life and all the sacrifices they made for you beforehand like you do for your kids.

This is heartbreaking.....

And I think the worst part is that he played his entire life and was never warned about what CTE is.

Nick was and still is a stand up guy. After his sons injury, he devoted his life to spinal research and helping others as well.
A great man and great player.
As his memory and life winds down, we should keep him and his family in our thoughts.
If anyone was unsure what number and name jersey to buy, I would suggest his.

Definitely sad. My heart goes out to Nick and his family. CTE is a part of this game but shame it happened to him. I still believe if he new about CTE he would've played anyway. It's a pretty low percentage on getting CTE playing football. Shame it happened to 2 Dolphins like Nick and Junior.

So sad. His decline has been rapid. That video his wife took of him by the pool struggling to put his shirt on wasn't long ago.

I think CTE is the end game. The worst part to me - and why I hate Goodell with such intensity - is instead of helping to find a solution (there may not be one), the NFL decided to go on a senseless crusade trying to convince people science is wrong (didn't learn anything from big tobacco apparently). It's hard to reconcile hundreds of millions on dollars being spent on a smear campaign over the course of a few decades instead of treatment for people who ended up dying terribly and horrified. And they're out there right now ... needing help ... and not getting it. There's no good reason why there isn't some beautiful facility out in the mountains somewhere for these guys to meet their ends with some dignity ... surrounded by friends. Goodell is a monster.

So sad. His decline has been rapid. That video his wife took of him by the pool struggling to put his shirt on wasn't long ago.

I think CTE is the end game. The worst part to me - and why I hate Goodell with such intensity - is instead of helping to find a solution (there may not be one), the NFL decided to go on a senseless crusade trying to convince people science is wrong (didn't learn anything from big tobacco apparently). It's hard to reconcile hundreds of millions on dollars being spent on a smear campaign over the course of a few decades instead of treatment for people who ended up dying terribly and horrified. And they're out there right now ... needing help ... and not getting it. There's no good reason why there isn't some beautiful facility out in the mountains somewhere for these guys to meet their ends with some dignity ... surrounded by friends. Goodell is a monster.
It's to low of a percentage to end the game. It's a low risk. Youre acting like 80% players have CTE. More like 5%

Back
Top Bottom