Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser)

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just some notes from Saban's post game presser.

He's pissed....but he's exercising remarkable self-restraint. He's spoken with a lot of sports psychiatrists about our situation and they all say the same thing you have to stay positive, correct mistakes in a positive way, continue showing them how to do what they need to do...and the thing you don't want to do is get negative and get extremely angry.

The reporters asked is he angry at the players and he said if he thought getting angry was the best thing for this football team he'd jump up on the mic stand and create a bloopers hi-light reel for everyone. But he's spoken with those psychiatrists and they've made it clear what he needs to do.

He pointed out that Randy should have caught the ball that got returned for 6 points.

Also said that a lot of these tipped balls are because guys try and body catch the ball. Chambers last week and McMichael this week were examples.

Said they played a lot of Cover 2 and Quarters, split safety stuff to where they found a lot more success to the middle guys than to the outside guys...partially explains why Chambers didn't get involved. The other thing was he got open a few times and got behind the defense and we just missed the throw period. Kind of "so there you have it"

Said he's not concerned about Randy himself just concerned that they continue to put him into position to have success, and that he actually made a couple of great plays today just didn't see the consistency they would like. He said that's the story of the season everyone takes their 1 and 2 turns at negative plays and the cumulative effect is overwhelming.

Game plan was not to throw the ball 60 times that is for certain. Game plan was to go some 2 minute on them to try and speed things up. They went "red ball" in the first half but really didn't see the kind of tempo or urgency they wanted. Then in the second half when they would have liked to run the ball, they go up on us 13-10 and then 20-10 and continued putting us in catch-up mode and there you have us going constant 2-minute passing.

Said the weird unsportsmanlike on Zach was because he called "Move!" a little before the snap which is the term that means the D needs to stem the rush on the FG attempt, we've called it exactly like that all year long and its at the discretion of the ref to decide if it is an attempt to get them to false start and they've called it one way all year and all the sudden they called it another way.

Pointed out we had two people in the area that failed to make a play on the ball on Donald Driver's TD. Jason Allen was one of them, although Saban never mentioned him. The way it was explained to Saban, Driver did not catch the ball on the way down but he caught it once he hit the ground and the ball never touched the ground.

Doesn't have a clue what happened on the long TD run...said he saw a picture of it but the picture was pretty inconclusive. Said we were in eight man front...should have had all gaps covered. Seemed to suggest mostly that the safety playing middle field should have been able to squeeze the runner for a 10 yard gain but that there's no way he should have been able to break out of contain.

Then just before the end he was answering a question about team mentality and I believe Harvey Greene tried to end the PC by asking anymore questions...and all the sudden Saban added in "And you've got to have prime time players to do it."

A reporter bit on the remark and said "Do you feel you have enough prime time players to do it?"

And he answered "If they play like they are capable of, I do. Some of them aren't playing. One of them is playing up in Canada. And there's one that's hurt right now that were brought in to be guys that make a significant difference."

Then he continued to talk about how we could have won each game we played so far this year...we had playmakers in position to make plays.

"When you consistently give up points off turnovers...Turnovers have been absolutely killers."

Finished the press conference by losing his cool when a reporter asked how is it that a runningback can outrun an entire secondary for 70 yards. Saban started to talk technically about the responsibilities and said he hasn't had a chance to really dissect it and then it seemed the press were fishing for him to criticize a player and he refused to. He said that really pisses him off, the press can criticize him all they want and they can even criticize his players but *he* will never criticize his players...publicly. He'll tell them what they did wrong when they have team meetings but he's not there to criticize them.

Pretty much ended it quickly after that.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/dolphins/demand/061022_postgame.rm&proto=rtsp

William of Ockham would be rolling over in his grave if he ever listened to Saban's press conferences.

Saban is an idiot. He does not know how to coach at the professional level. Any analyst with any amount of sense has said that nearly all of personnel decisions were risky and to date next to none of them have paid off. Saban's now the proud owner of a 10-13 record as a head coach.

Yes, in theory, ALL plays can be blamed on the players. Saban can say that this particular individual should have covered this part of the field when the fact remains that that particular individual simply may not have the talent. You can't fault the #8 hitter for striking out on a triple-digit fastball because that's simply not what he's supposed to do. We have guys on the defense who aren't supposed to be anything special - "role players" as they are called by people who can't understand that they aren't talented - and they aren't really getting it done. We have an offense coached by somebody who fashions himself an autistic savant and all that talent is horribly misutilized. Then we sit here and wonder why the offense can't get anything done. Why they aren't catching the ball or clicking or what have you.

We need a new coach.

ckparrothead said:

He's pissed....but he's exercising remarkable self-restraint. He's spoken with a lot of sports psychiatrists about our situation and they all say the same thing you have to stay positive, correct mistakes in a positive way, continue showing them how to do what they need to do...and the thing you don't want to do is get negative and get extremely angry.

The reporters asked is he angry at the players and he said if he thought getting angry was the best thing for this football team he'd jump up on the mic stand and create a bloopers hi-light reel for everyone. But he's spoken with those psychiatrists and they've made it clear what he needs to do.

He pointed out that Randy should have caught the ball that got returned for 6 points.

Also said that a lot of these tipped balls are because guys try and body catch the ball. Chambers last week and McMichael this week were examples.

Said they played a lot of Cover 2 and Quarters, split safety stuff to where they found a lot more success to the middle guys than to the outside guys...partially explains why Chambers didn't get involved. The other thing was he got open a few times and got behind the defense and we just missed the throw period. Kind of "so there you have it"

Said he's not concerned about Randy himself just concerned that they continue to put him into position to have success, and that he actually made a couple of great plays today just didn't see the consistency they would like. He said that's the story of the season everyone takes their 1 and 2 turns at negative plays and the cumulative effect is overwhelming.

Game plan was not to throw the ball 60 times that is for certain. Game plan was to go some 2 minute on them to try and speed things up. They went "red ball" in the first half but really didn't see the kind of tempo or urgency they wanted. Then in the second half when they would have liked to run the ball, they go up on us 13-10 and then 20-10 and continued putting us in catch-up mode and there you have us going constant 2-minute passing.

Said the weird unsportsmanlike on Zach was because he called "Move!" a little before the snap which is the term that means the D needs to stem the rush on the FG attempt, we've called it exactly like that all year long and its at the discretion of the ref to decide if it is an attempt to get them to false start and they've called it one way all year and all the sudden they called it another way.

Pointed out we had two people in the area that failed to make a play on the ball on Donald Driver's TD. Jason Allen was one of them, although Saban never mentioned him. The way it was explained to Saban, Driver did not catch the ball on the way down but he caught it once he hit the ground and the ball never touched the ground.

Doesn't have a clue what happened on the long TD run...said he saw a picture of it but the picture was pretty inconclusive. Said we were in eight man front...should have had all gaps covered. Seemed to suggest mostly that the safety playing middle field should have been able to squeeze the runner for a 10 yard gain but that there's no way he should have been able to break out of contain.

Then just before the end he was answering a question about team mentality and I believe Harvey Greene tried to end the PC by asking anymore questions...and all the sudden Saban added in "And you've got to have prime time players to do it."

A reporter bit on the remark and said "Do you feel you have enough prime time players to do it?"

And he answered "If they play like they are capable of, I do. Some of them aren't playing. One of them is playing up in Canada. And there's one that's hurt right now that were brought in to be guys that make a significant difference."

Then he continued to talk about how we could have won each game we played so far this year...we had playmakers in position to make plays.

"When you consistently give up points off turnovers...Turnovers have been absolutely killers."

Finished the press conference by losing his cool when a reporter asked how is it that a runningback can outrun an entire secondary for 70 yards. Saban started to talk technically about the responsibilities and said he hasn't had a chance to really dissect it and then it seemed the press were fishing for him to criticize a player and he refused to. He said that really pisses him off, the press can criticize him all they want and they can even criticize his players but *he* will never criticize his players...publicly. He'll tell them what they did wrong when they have team meetings but he's not there to criticize them.

Pretty much ended it quickly after that.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/dolphins/demand/061022_postgame.rm&proto=rtsp

Sounds like the same song and dance we get every week...pretty standard. CK - do you think he's lost a little of the fire, or changed his philosophies from last year at all? We certainly don't seem to have the confidence we had during that 6 games streak...or is that just a mirage. Your thoughts?

he is a second year coach ...... give him two more years ....... if he keeps up coaching like wannstedt then give him the boot

alen1 said:
he is a second year coach ...... give him two more years ....... if he keeps up coaching like wannstedt then give him the boot

He's got a long, long, long ladder to climb to reach "Wannstedt" status. Wannstedt at least won we had talent on the team.

flintsilver7 said:
William of Ockham would be rolling over in his grave if he ever listened to Saban's press conferences.

Saban is an idiot. He does not know how to coach at the professional level. Any analyst with any amount of sense has said that nearly all of personnel decisions were risky and to date next to none of them have paid off. Saban's now the proud owner of a 10-13 record as a head coach.

Yes, in theory, ALL plays can be blamed on the players. Saban can say that this particular individual should have covered this part of the field when the fact remains that that particular individual simply may not have the talent. You can't fault the #8 hitter for striking out on a triple-digit fastball because that's simply not what he's supposed to do. We have guys on the defense who aren't supposed to be anything special - "role players" as they are called by people who can't understand that they aren't talented - and they aren't really getting it done. We have an offense coached by somebody who fashions himself an autistic savant and all that talent is horribly misutilized. Then we sit here and wonder why the offense can't get anything done. Why they aren't catching the ball or clicking or what have you.

We need a new coach.
Yea, we need a new coach. OK. Let's see...maybe we can get Denny Green for cheap! Come on.

1334 said:
Yea, we need a new coach. OK. Let's see...maybe we can get Denny Green for cheap! Come on.

I don't have any answers other than Jim Bates, but I've been saying since last year that Saban is not the answer.

RoninFin4 said:
Sounds like the same song and dance we get every week...pretty standard. CK - do you think he's lost a little of the fire, or changed his philosophies from last year at all? We certainly don't seem to have the confidence we had during that 6 games streak...or is that just a mirage. Your thoughts?

I think that what is happening right now is pretty similar to what was happening last year when we went 3-7.

If you remember, last year I believe the Cleveland game was the first real game where we got absolutely drubbed. Everything else was a bunch of mistakes, penalties, etc that represented the difference in the game.

Saban isn't a bad coach because of what is happening right now but we are certainly not a good team because of what is happening right now.

I don't think we've found the right QB...I think that is obvious. I think Daunte will be that right QB but in his post-injury form his first four games back from the injury he wasn't really in the form that this team needed to get that spark going.

And Joey Harrington isn't what the team needs right now either. That much has become exceedingly obvious.

One thing that I take from the PC is basically a re-affirmation that Daunte is the long term answer to this coaching staff at QB. Saban considers Daunte and Ricky to be two of the prime time players on this team. I don't think it would be a stretch of the imagination to say that he considers the other guys to be Chambers, Ronnie, McMichael, Zach, JT, and maybe Kevin Carter.

It's a tough thing being where we are right now. So close and yet so far away. We haven't gotten absolutely thrashed by any team but we also haven't absolutely thrashed any other team. There doesn't seem to be a go-for-the-throat mentality on offense...and the D finds it hard to play in the second half like they did in the first half.

flintsilver7 said:
I don't have any answers other than Jim Bates, but I've been saying since last year that Saban is not the answer.
I loved Jim Bates! Agree with you there! Disagree that Saban is not the answer. I think he'll make some changes and turn things around. Was he supposed to do it in 2 years??? I'm not sure. It may take 2 more years. Dolphin fans, including myself, are impatient after 33 or whatever years. I think Saban will turn it around if he has the time.

ckparrothead said:

I don't know of any psychiatrists who've won Super Bowls.
I wonder what his shrink crew would say about Lombardi and Shula.
Maybe we need more "Kumbaya" sessions.

“Losing is a disease, as contagious as the bubonic
plague. Infecting one but affecting all.â€Â

clear.gif

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

Dolphins wide receiver Marcus Vick did not make the active roster for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers, but he has replaced Daunte Culpepper as the No. 3 emergency quarterback.

That means Vick, who was signed to the 53-man roster after spending the season's first six weeks on the practice squad, would only play if quarterbacks Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon were forced out of the game.

It also means Culpepper is not eligible to play under any circumstances, which marks the first time this season the Dolphins have gone with that scenario.

DoggPhin said:
BY JEFF DARLINGTON
jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

Dolphins wide receiver Marcus Vick did not make the active roster for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers, but he has replaced Daunte Culpepper as the No. 3 emergency quarterback.

That means Vick, who was signed to the 53-man roster after spending the season's first six weeks on the practice squad, would only play if quarterbacks Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon were forced out of the game.

It also means Culpepper is not eligible to play under any circumstances, which marks the first time this season the Dolphins have gone with that scenario.

Hence Saban's explanation that after the week they spent of heavy rehab on his knee, his knee got really sore and his patellar tendon got inflamed and really he made the decision himself that his knee was in no condition to be able to play today under any circumstances, even emergency ones.

Nice try though. Saban just clearly pointed to Daunte as one of our prime time players, implying strongly that we miss him as a difference maker, and this comes in addition to numerous statements to the effect of a healthy Daunte is our long term starting quarterback.

But go on taking every opportunity to defend Joey and attack Daunte. It has quite literally become your only activity on this message board (with well over 70% of your posts discussing Joey Harrington). It is truly the *only* reason you are here, on this message board. Just like Joey Harrington's presence on the Lions roster was the *only* reason you hung around Lions message boards defending Joey constantly.

I think we have the right head coach, we just need a new OC, and I think instead of drafting Allen this year, we should have stuck with schulters and then draft LaRon Landry next year.

ckparrothead said:
I think that what is happening right now is pretty similar to what was happening last year when we went 3-7.

If you remember, last year I believe the Cleveland game was the first real game where we got absolutely drubbed. Everything else was a bunch of mistakes, penalties, etc that represented the difference in the game.

Saban isn't a bad coach because of what is happening right now but we are certainly not a good team because of what is happening right now.

I don't think we've found the right QB...I think that is obvious. I think Daunte will be that right QB but in his post-injury form his first four games back from the injury he wasn't really in the form that this team needed to get that spark going.

And Joey Harrington isn't what the team needs right now either. That much has become exceedingly obvious.

One thing that I take from the PC is basically a re-affirmation that Daunte is the long term answer to this coaching staff at QB. Saban considers Daunte and Ricky to be two of the prime time players on this team. I don't think it would be a stretch of the imagination to say that he considers the other guys to be Chambers, Ronnie, McMichael, Zach, JT, and maybe Kevin Carter.

It's a tough thing being where we are right now. So close and yet so far away. We haven't gotten absolutely thrashed by any team but we also haven't absolutely thrashed any other team. There doesn't seem to be a go-for-the-throat mentality on offense...and the D finds it hard to play in the second half like they did in the first half.

first let me say that im not bashing im just asking a question. let me give you props for your post about dc coming to miami last oct.
heres some of your quotes from that post

So, he threw a hissy-fit with the staff, threatened holdout, and forced them to beef up his contract so that he is paid commensurate with the top quarterbacks in the NFL. After all, the Vikings were talking him up so much about how he's the best, and they started stripping the offense under the guise of "building around Daunte" so why not?

Problem: The wheels are falling off on Daunte's game now that Scott Linehan isn't there anymore.

Now, Culpepper is VASTLY overpaid compared to the way he is playing, and until they clean house with the coaching staff this season there is really no hope in sight that things are going to get much better for Daunte.

There is a very REAL possibility that Daunte can never reach his potential again without a coordinator like Linehan, and a receiver like Moss. Even if that is not the case, there's a very real possibility that a lot of people begin thinking that way.
Think of it this way: Minnesota's "powerhouse" offense STARTED when Randy Moss was drafted, and ENDED when Randy Moss was traded, and has survived the likes of Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Gus Frerotte, Todd Bouman, and Daunte Culpepper at quarterback while still performing at a high level.

Just looking at the situation that way is a very sharp criticism to the money being paid to Daunte
I am not so sure that it was Moss' departure that makes him look this bad. It is the offense, clearly. It has him thinking too much, acting with a lot of hesitation, everything. Daunte playing in Miami right now would not be playing this badly

now my question is why do you think that he can become the long term answer.it seems that you didnt think to highly of him before.you pointed out many probs with him,so why change your mind?

Alex13 said:
I think we have the right head coach, we just need a new OC, and I think instead of drafting Allen this year, we should have stuck with schulters and then draft LaRon Landry next year.

I can honestly say that Renaldo Hill is head and shoulders better than Schulters was a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom