Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser)

1334 said:
I loved Jim Bates! Agree with you there! Disagree that Saban is not the answer. I think he'll make some changes and turn things around. Was he supposed to do it in 2 years??? I'm not sure. It may take 2 more years. Dolphin fans, including myself, are impatient after 33 or whatever years. I think Saban will turn it around if he has the time.

It's been a long time since we looked like this with all the talent we have. 2004 had most of the team running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but a lot of the talent was simply not here. Last year and this year had a lot of guys with talent and look where they are.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Dolphins to succeed. I'm simply not surprised that Saban isn't getting it done.

Thanks for the info CK....man I tell you what this is the part I like the most:

"A reporter bit on the remark and said "Do you feel you have enough prime time players to do it?"

And he answered "If they play like they are capable of, I do. Some of them aren't playing. One of them is playing up in Canada. And there's one that's hurt right now that were brought in to be guys that make a significant difference."

That made me fell alot better about still having Ricky next year...after Ricky's failed drug test came out of Denver I always wondered if Saban was trying to trade him...sounds like he really misses Ricky.
Another thing that made me fell better it sounds like he still has faith in CPEP.

flintsilver7 said:
William of Ockham would be rolling over in his grave if he ever listened to Saban's press conferences.

Saban is an idiot. He does not know how to coach at the professional level. Any analyst with any amount of sense has said that nearly all of personnel decisions were risky and to date next to none of them have paid off. Saban's now the proud owner of a 10-13 record as a head coach.

Yes, in theory, ALL plays can be blamed on the players. Saban can say that this particular individual should have covered this part of the field when the fact remains that that particular individual simply may not have the talent. You can't fault the #8 hitter for striking out on a triple-digit fastball because that's simply not what he's supposed to do. We have guys on the defense who aren't supposed to be anything special - "role players" as they are called by people who can't understand that they aren't talented - and they aren't really getting it done. We have an offense coached by somebody who fashions himself an autistic savant and all that talent is horribly misutilized. Then we sit here and wonder why the offense can't get anything done. Why they aren't catching the ball or clicking or what have you.

We need a new coach.

Yes indeed.

flintsilver7 said:
I've been saying since last year that Saban is not the answer.

That statement in itself completely sums up the lunacy of your argument and viewpoint.

You had already decided that a coach in his very first year was going to be a failure.

It's not like he's a first year coach taking over a stocked team either despite your relentless claims of how great Wannstedt "built" a "good" team.

This first year coach faced and still faces the job of almost completely rebuilding the offense. Starting with 2 of the most important playmaking and leadership positions on the field, QB and RB. I won't even get into the long list of positions needing to be filled on the Defensive side of the ball.

Saying you knew Saban was a bust his first year removes any bit of credibility in your posts.

Your posts on this issue are a joke.

Trekbiz said:
That statement in itself completely sums up the lunacy of your argument and viewpoint.

You had already decided that a coach in his very first year was going to be a failure.

It's not like he's a first year coach taking over a stocked team either despite your relentless claims of how great Wannstedt "built" a "good" team.

This first year coach faced and still faces the job of completely rebuilding the offense. Starting with 2 of the most important playmaking and leadership positions on the field, QB and RB.

Both your obsession with me and your ridiculous obsession with Saban are quite tiring. It's also no credit to you that you continually change what you think I said.

This "first year coach," by the way, was given the #2 pick in the draft with a fairly well-stocked RB draft class. It is hard to say "I have no options at running back." He got a good running back. The problem is he hired a moron to run the offense.

FinaciousOne said:
I don't know of any psychiatrists who've won Super Bowls.
I wonder what his shrink crew would say about Lombardi and Shula.
Maybe we need more "Kumbaya" sessions.

“Losing is a disease, as contagious as the bubonic
plague. Infecting one but affecting all.â€Â

http://www.spookytoms.com/TR-WallyCox.JPG

And whatever the sports shrink told him to do, its not working. Maybe he should throw a fit. Whats he afraid of, they'll come out and lose to the Bears off the bye week? Wow...like that could happen.

The guy is grasping at straws because hes out of answers...and week by week more people are coming to the conclusion that he just sucks.

But, hes not going anywhere. 10-1 he'll be the coach next year as well. And when we are out of the playoffs after next season, maybe something will get done so we can get this team winning again.

Saban is searching for excuses. Last week it was "Last year at this time we were 4 games under .500 also and we turned it around." This week it is that our best players aren't here to play. I am a Saban supporter and I think he will turn this thing around in the next couple of years. He says what he wants to say, and what he thinks the media and all of us want to hear. You all shouldn't read so much into what he is saying. It means nothing.

Trekbiz said:

This first year coach faced and still faces the job of almost completely rebuilding the offense. Starting with 2 of the most important playmaking and leadership positions on the field, QB and RB. I won't even get into the long list of positions needing to be filled on the Defensive side of the ball.

Saying you knew Saban was a bust his first year removes any bit of credibility in your posts.

No. Maybe he saw something telling that the rest of us didn't see. I swear to God in Heaven that after the Buffalo game, I didn't think this team would win two games the rest of the year. Veteran playes couldn't block, throw, tackle...and veteran players made stupid mistakes. Veterans aren't going to wake up tomorrow and suddenly be better. After a few games, they are what they are. And what we are (the very veteran football team of ours) is very bad.

1334 said:
Saban is searching for excuses. Last week it was "Last year at this time we were 4 games under .500 also and we turned it around." This week it is that our best players aren't here to play. I am a Saban supporter and I think he will turn this thing around in the next couple of years. He says what he wants to say, and what he thinks the media and all of us want to hear. You all shouldn't read so much into what he is saying. It means nothing.

Then his words are just like his coaching...meaningless. A homeless guy could coach this team to a 1-6 record.

TampaFinsFan01 said:
Then his words are just like his coaching...meaningless. A homeless guy could coach this team to a 1-6 record.

LOL!

I'm just imagining one of the homeless guys I see on a regular basis - drunk, stumbling, pushing shopping carts around with what looks like trash in them, on the the sideline wearing headphones and coaching the Dolphins.

finintheburgh said:
now my question is why do you think that he can become the long term answer.it seems that you didnt think to highly of him before.you pointed out many probs with him,so why change your mind?

My mind has not changed...at all. I've appreciated how good of a player Daunte Culpepper is probably since about 2003. He had some challenging years in 2001 and 2002 as the wheels began to really fall off the Vikings organization. 2001 was the worst year really.

What I was pointing out in that thread is the bifurcation that happens between perception and reality when a certain set of conditions present themselves. That's why I made the statement "even if it isn't true, that's the way it is going to look"

I was pointing out everything that really was the truth. There was and indeed still is the possibility that Daunte cannot achieve the success he enjoyed in 2003 & 2004 without having a good coordinator with a style that suits him, and a good receiver.

He doesn't have that coordinator here in Miami right now...or at least not yet. Scott Linehan really did a bit of a 180 in the second half of 2005 and I'm not going to discount the possibility that Mularkey does the same.

Anyway what I was predicting would happen in Minnesota is exactly what ended up happening. The perception became reality for them, to the point where Daunte's trade value went from sky high in 2004, to a 2nd rounder in 2005. The perception would be based on the coincidental correlations between the Minnesota offense and Randy Moss.

Well one thing I totally forgot before that was that Minnesota was already a good offense when Randy Moss got there. Denny Green usually led a good offense while there. They were #4 in offense in 1995, #11 in 1997, #7 in 1994, and #4 in 1992...all under Denny Green.

But if I could forget that, so too could many other people and that showed when everyone conveniently attributed all of Minnesota's offensive success to Randy Moss and then conveniently overlooked how Randy has hardly helped turn Oakland into an offensive juggernaut.

Also a thing I was inaccurate on was Daunte's contract. He didn't get new money added to it at all. They converted some of the roster and salary into guaranteed then promised that they'd review it again after the 2005 season. I was unaware of that..

That's what I was getting at...perception vs. reality. Daunte was NOT playing well in 2005...and was certainly not playing up to his salary. There were a myriad of reasons and I even said what it was...it was the offense. Probably a lot more about Scott being gone and about the horrible OL, ground game and WRs than about Randy Moss in particular not being there.

I think what we had here in Miami is a lot of perception vs. reality too. When did Daunte lose games? Right at the beginning of the season, when everyone was STILL under the impression that we were going to be a good team this year.

That made those losses from Daunte all the more unforgivable.

Once it became clear that we're not a good team from head to toe, Joey's performances have been much more forgivable, and indeed many people out there keep trying to pretend he's looked better than Daunte when the stark reality is that he has not.

The misnomer is that I'm excusing everything Daunte did while failing to excuse everything Joey did. This is just not the truth. I don't excuse anything either of them has done. However, the simple fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people out there that are giving Daunte less credit than he deserves, and giving Joey more credit than he deserves.

I made it clear that before this game I gave Joey a C grade for the year and Daunte also got a C. I think my expectation was that Daunte would have given me about a B grade in his four games, while I've never expected Joey to give me better than a C on anything, so if anything I'm much more disappointed in Daunte per se than Joey...because Joey has turned out to be just what I thought while Daunte turned out to be a little ways away from achieving what I thought he'd achieve.

I think a homeless guy would do worse. Although, I believe the homeless guy could use the money more than him.

His words are meaningless. I just think that most of the people around here like to take all of his words as meaningful. They are not. He's not going to tell us anything. I beleive his coaching will be more than meaningless.

This is absolutely the right coach, we are all frustrated and we are not used to this kinda play.

I seriously question the heart of some of our so called offensive playmakers, they lolly gagged towards the end of the game.

Its hard to watch this team simply cause I don't beleive we have been outplayed in most of our losing efforts.

I just think that we have to many new faces and are trying to build continuity in a quick time, and it can't be done.

Im listening to the press conference now sounds like he's willing to bench players that aren't willing to give it there all, good for him!

CP I appreciate your post as it gives clarity to this team, I'm upset that this season is heading in the direction that it is, but if it must it must, sometimes you need to have short term sacrifice for long term success, and if this season is over, I am confident that we will get it right eventually.

We might see a lot of player turnover in this offseason, which is unfortunate cause it might cause another lag in terms of having consitency.

Should this have happened last year, yes probably but as Saban states Ricky is a gamer, and right now we lack a game breaker offensively.

Do not run this coach out of town he's a darn good coach.

As for Jim Bates, sorry i don't buy it.

flintsilver7 said:
Both your obsession with me and your ridiculous obsession with Saban are quite tiring. It's also no credit to you that you continually change what you think I said..

I have no obsession with Saban. Truth is that I'm not completely in support of him or against him. There are some things that trouble me that I've seen and heard. There are also some things that I see that give me hope Saban will be just fine. It's still up in the air. I am just a smart enough guy to know that anyone calling a new coach taking over a team with a number of holes a bust after his first year is absurd.

As for an obsession with you.... :lol:
There you go again with this obsession stuff.
Are you lonely? Do you need to feel someone is "obsessed" with you? Fact is that you are always the one leading the charge in these threads about Saban being a bust. I'm clearly against this "well thought out viewpoint" and counter this argument. If that equates to someone being a personal stalker to you.... what ever blows your skirt up.

flintsilver7 said:
This "first year coach," by the way, was given the #2 pick in the draft with a fairly well-stocked RB draft class. It is hard to say "I have no options at running back." He got a good running back.

The point being is that he didn't have an option at RB when he took this team over nor did he have an option at QB nor did he have many options on the OL, etc.

That's the whole point. He had to and still has to fill a number of positions on this team. Building a team's core of youth back isn't something that can happen overnight.

I don't know if what I'm going to say is positive or negative but I hope Daunte Culpepper is the answer because I really get the impression that Joey Harrington is not.

Back
Top Bottom