No extra 6th round pick from the Colts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No extra 6th round pick from the Colts

When Vontae is focused and playing the best of his ability, he can be a top corner. He just doesn't do that every day

That is the reason he's gone. He only played good when HE wanted to. Ability, potential.... Shoulda, woulda, coulda, didn't.

Honestly, Ireland did a good enough job squeezing out the 2nd rounder from that trade. Wasn't the first offer a 5th round pick and he worked it all the way up to a 2nd and conditional 6th? I feel like we were the winning side of this trade to be honest.

Not being a Homer but last years drafted looks like it yeilded us a Franchise QB and starting LT, along with a decent RB and pass rushing DE from the U...

Well, time will tell. I like Tanny and I like Miller. Martin has potential......Veron plays hard which I like but I'm not sure he'll ever be more than just solid. At least for what I've seen, he's not the pass rusher we need on the other side of Wake.I hope I'm wrong cause he does play hard.

Ozzy rules!!

And we did not get comp picks from losing better players in the past.

I would be surprised if we get one....

Yes, but we likely signed players who were given equal contracts and possibly started all season. I'm guessing you're just not understanding how compensatory selections work, moreso than disagreeing that we won't get a pick.

Marshall not playing much (starting/playing 4 games), while Langford started all 16 games. Marshall got a 3/16 while Langford got a 4/24.

It's very, very likely that Miami is getting at the VERY least a 6th round pick, possibly a 5th depending how they view playing time vs contract.

The Ireland hate is getting REAAAAAAAAL OLD!

we keep Jake Long who is injured - "Ireland is an idiot!"
Marshall gets injured - "Ireland is an idiot"
We trade away VD for a 2nd round pick who gets injured for the colts - "Ireland is an idiot"

I swear I hear less bitching and moaning in a pre-school class.

Yep, you can't blame Ireland for not realizing depth is important, it is his first year as gm afterall. Rookie gm-ing mistake, hopefully lesson learned.

Vontae has more INTs, almost as many tackles and PDs in 6 fewer games. If he's been a disappointment, what the hell is Sean Smith?

Vontae got off to a slow start and battled injuries as anyone would expect from a DB who changed teams after training camp. As he's learned the system and gotten into shape he's gotten much better throughout the year. He's going into the playoffs as defensive player of the week. It's a rare Colts fan who is regretting that trade now as they'll have a 5 year NFL starter turning 25 and making less than 2 mil starting for them next year.

So I guess Jeff Ireland lied to Vontae Davis at the conclusion of their meeting in Ireland's office, the segment shown on Hard Knocks:

"What did you get for me?'

"A couple of picks."

Vontae got three picks. You would think that could have been the trigger toward the bonus pick. Matches his career average. Anything along those lines. I'd try to include any number of variables to secure the extra pick, meeting the bar in one category, instead of doing it sloppy toward mere playing time. Granted, we don't know exactly how it was worded but Ireland doesn't strike me as overly clever or resourceful. He could have used the Colts' draft position on the 2nd round pick to trigger the 6th rounder. They probably wouldn't have foreseen something in the 20s as overly likely.

Bottom line, we already got screwed based on how well the Colts fared. Greyboy posted the breakdown of top 40 picks making the Pro Bowl compared to lower second round. Quite a gap. And now we don't even get the extra pick. Retreat to those threads after the trade and I guarantee the supporters of the trade were touting the likelihood of a high second round pick, and an additional pick. Now those aspects are gone but they still have to pretend it as a master stroke.

We should have traded for their logo. A dolphin could kind of fit in there, lounging inside the U, like on a cruise ship near the pool.

I saw Maiden in Tampa last year.....love them....my 2nd favorite band. You can guess who's number 1....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Sabbath/Ozzy of course!

Saw Maiden three times on their 08/09 tour.... including last show in Fort lauderdale.

Yep, you can't blame Ireland for not realizing depth is important, it is his first year as gm afterall. Rookie gm-ing mistake, hopefully lesson learned.

yeah, Philbin and Croyle probaly had ZERO say in the trade as well right? If you don't think it was a collective decession then you're really at of touch with reality...

NOBODY and I MEAN NOBODY, at the beginning of the year would have thought the Colts were gonna go from 2-14 to 11-5. Signing Marshall made VD expendible after his issues with hitting the bottle, a second round pick from the team that picked #1 over all the previous year looked to be a decent trade... Speaking in hindsight doesn't make you smart.

yeah, Philbin and Croyle probaly had ZERO say in the trade as well right? If you don't think it was a collective decession then you're really at of touch with reality...

NOBODY and I MEAN NOBODY, at the beginning of the year would have thought the Colts were gonna go from 2-14 to 11-5. Signing Marshall made VD expendible after his issues with hitting the bottle, a second round pick from the team that picked #1 over all the previous year looked to be a decent trade... Speaking in hindsight doesn't make you smart.

Lets not also forget that Marshall beat out Vontae in training camp by a large margin. Not sure why fans are blind to this fact.

Not to mention the.fact, nobody really gives a **** about a 6th round pick, except for when we get screwed out of one in this trade!

Ive never heard so many ppl bitch about a 6th round pick in all my years on finheaven.

Back
Top Bottom