No extra 6th round pick from the Colts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No extra 6th round pick from the Colts

The odds of Ireland Drafting a better player than Vonte with this pick are not good. That alone makes this a dumb move.

So I guess Jeff Ireland lied to Vontae Davis at the conclusion of their meeting in Ireland's office, the segment shown on Hard Knocks:

"What did you get for me?'

"A couple of picks."

Vontae got three picks. You would think that could have been the trigger toward the bonus pick. Matches his career average. Anything along those lines. I'd try to include any number of variables to secure the extra pick, meeting the bar in one category, instead of doing it sloppy toward mere playing time. Granted, we don't know exactly how it was worded but Ireland doesn't strike me as overly clever or resourceful. He could have used the Colts' draft position on the 2nd round pick to trigger the 6th rounder. They probably wouldn't have foreseen something in the 20s as overly likely.

Bottom line, we already got screwed based on how well the Colts fared. Greyboy posted the breakdown of top 40 picks making the Pro Bowl compared to lower second round. Quite a gap. And now we don't even get the extra pick. Retreat to those threads after the trade and I guarantee the supporters of the trade were touting the likelihood of a high second round pick, and an additional pick. Now those aspects are gone but they still have to pretend it as a master stroke.

We should have traded for their logo. A dolphin could kind of fit in there, lounging inside the U, like on a cruise ship near the pool.

You sincerely think Vontae Davis played at a pro bowl level this year? The guy had 3 picks. Yes. Did you actually see those picks?

I can tell you right now that his week 17 interception was pure luck. He was out of position by a large margin, his man was wide open, but the pass was severely underthrown. Result? INT. I guess that's what you get.

Not to mention the obvious - He's now a free agent. A free agent who just picked up 2 garbage INTs with 1 admittedly great INT. Is that someone you really want to give a long term agreement to, especially when he's, as you pointed out for us, averaging about 3 INTs a season with a multitude of TD's given up?

I'm just stunned you genuinely think he's a pro bowl CB

Not to mention the obvious - He's now a free agent. A free agent who just picked up 2 garbage INTs with 1 admittedly great INT. Is that someone you really want to give a long term agreement to, especially when he's, as you pointed out for us, averaging about 3 INTs a season with a multitude of TD's given up?

I'm pretty sure he only becomes a free agent next year

So let me get this straight. Irelands strikes out on the 6th round pick and instead of holding him accountable we than shift the blame to vontae?? lol, never ceases to amaze me. Vontaes never been in the playoffs before, im expecting him to have a big game and show his real potential. He has a motivator overthere in indy, pagano. Never had it in miami and never got the chance under philbin. its coming.

So let me get this straight. Irelands strikes out on the 6th round pick and instead of holding him accountable we than shift the blame to vontae?? lol, never ceases to amaze me. Vontaes never been in the playoffs before, im expecting him to have a big game and show his real potential. He has a motivator overthere in indy, pagano. Never had it in miami and never got the chance under philbin. its coming.
The reason Ireland isn't getting the extra 6th is because with the exception of a game or two, Vonate pretty much sucked with the Colts this season.

The reason Ireland isn't getting the extra 6th is because with the exception of a game or two, Vonate pretty much sucked with the Colts this season.

Wasn't the condition of getting the pick based on playing time? Ireland gets credit for trading "an injury plagued" player and reading the tea leaves that Vontea would once again miss a large part of the season so shouldn't he have had the wherewithal to NOT make playing time a prerequisite to getting the conditional pick?

I believe most people on here are not upset that we traded Davis....it's more about the fact that we should not have drafted him in the first place. So we used a 1st round pick on him but got only a 2nd in return. The guy was truble off the field in college just like his brother and Ireland should have seen this. Believe me, out team's problems date back to before Ireland came to Miami. I have said this before. But he has not fix the problems since he's been here. He at last drafted a QB that most of us feel we can win games with but other than that his drafts have been pretty dull and his track record in free agency has not been nothing to write home about either.But, to make the 10% or so of the fan base that believe JI deserves another chance happy, Ross will keep him as the GM and will upset the other 90% of the fans. Just another amazing move by Ross.

Ozzy rules!!

Wasn't the condition of getting the pick based on playing time? Ireland gets credit for trading "an injury plagued" player and reading the tea leaves that Vontea would once again miss a large part of the season so shouldn't he have had the wherewithal to NOT make playing time a prerequisite to getting the conditional pick?

Oh dude, is pointless. They'll find a way to spin and twist things around so that nothing is ever Ireland's fault.

Ozzy rules!!

So let me get this straight. Irelands strikes out on the 6th round pick and instead of holding him accountable we than shift the blame to vontae?? lol, never ceases to amaze me.

what ceases to amaze me, is how people blame Ireland for a players injury... now unless he goes out onto the feild ala "last boyscout" and shoots these guys in the knee, how is it exactly his fault? To me that's not bad choice making, it's bad luck!

Nobody can say if who got the better part of deal just yet, as we haven't used the pick we recieved from the colts...

What sad lives some of you must lead to knock yourselves out for things that haven't happened yet. sheesh!

what ceases to amaze me, is how people blame Ireland for a players injury... now unless he goes out onto the feild ala "last boyscout" and shoots these guys in the knee, how is it exactly his fault? To me that's not bad choice making, it's bad luck!

Nobody can say if who got the better part of deal just yet, as we haven't used the pick we recieved from the colts...

What sad lives some of you must lead to knock yourselves out for things that haven't happened yet. sheesh!

Man, defending Ireland all the time could be a bad "Omen"......lol

Ozzy rules!!

You really are dense aren't you?

I suppose you were in the room while the deal was being made? did ever occure to you that maybe, JUST MAYBE, it was the Colts who put that condition into the trade deal and not Ireland? Sure Ireland would have to agree to the terms, and who knows how much of that was a deal breaker if it was the colts demands, but really what was the risk/reward anyways, a freaking 6th round pick!

So you hold ireland accountable, not vontae. He should have requested a guaranteed 6th rd pick, not conditional.

You really are dense aren't you?

did ever occure to you that maybe, JUST MAYBE, it was the Colts who put that condition into the trade deal and not Ireland?

:bobdole: Does it occur to you that Ireland is allowed to say "no"?

Awesome trade Ireland.....NOT

Ozzy rules!!

You realize with got a 2nd Rd pick for a lazy and injury-plagued player?! We are also going to be getting 1 or 2 Comp picks due to the loss of Davis and Marshall. We are loaded with picks.

Man, defending Ireland all the time could be a bad "Omen"......lol

Ozzy rules!!

clever boy...

I'm nuetral on Ireland, believe it or not... But to throw all the blame onto him for certain things isn't correct... Things aren't always Black and white like people want to believe. But I get it, for the folks who pick every oppurtunity to slam him, it helps them cope with a season that didn't live up to their personal expectations for the team... While there is nothing wrong with wanting your team to win, complaining about everything, changes nothing!

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

:bobdole: Does it occur to you that Ireland is allowed to say "no"?

you didn't even bother to read my entire post did you?

Back
Top Bottom