No FA TE Signing?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by rayfinkle5, May 10, 2007.

1. rayfinkle5

rayfinkle5 Starter

What are we doing? There are (or now were) some decent undrafted prospects at TE. And we signed none of them! Thought for sure Jonny Harline was a possibility. He happened to be a consistant target for our future signal caller. Again, what are we doing?

Since the Rams now have McMichael, I say we make a play for Klopfenstein!

2. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

As a CU alum I would love to see us acquire Klopfenstein :) .....maybe we are waiting for final cut downs after training camp to maybe get a TE later on? :confused:

3. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I personally think its a mistake but We shall see. There was a guy late in the 7th I wish we had taken and that was Clark Harris from Rutgers. Good receiver, probably never be great but a solid backup TE that can also longsnap thus using a position player to longsnap rather than just a plain long snapper.

4. DJRoss

DJRoss Starter

Is there any FA the Dolphins might trade for Harline...

He was picked up as a FA by the Colts.

5. GRYPHONK

GRYPHONK Pro Bowler

That's because Cam and Mueller believe that Martin is the future at TE for this team

6. rayfinkle5

rayfinkle5 Starter

I hate this answer because I can't see how they would think that. You don't hear them say too much about him so how sold on him can they be? Nearly everyone had us taking a TE in the draft. At the very least for depth alone. We don't draft one. Then you have guys like Harline (Colts) and Newton (Seahawks) go undrafted and you sign neither. All because Martin is the answer. I am sorry...I don't buy it. Something, hopefully, is up!

7. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

thats a pat answer on everything, but lets just imagine he will be the same player he has been for 7 seasons then what. We should have at least looked at another player, too many eggs in a very fragile basket. To believe a player that has been in the league 7 years is all of a sudden going to be a great starter is more based on feeling than fact.

8. afishfan13

afishfan13 Active Member

I thought Harline would be a possibility as well. He looked pretty decent to me from what I've seen. He's an athletic guy. Cam knows Peele well. He coached him in San Diego, and they handpicked Martin, so our top two spots are filled for any two te sets.

You have to think that either they liked what they saw in Massaqoi and Radar OR we might not keep very many TE. You have to assume that we are going to be running a ton of 3 wr sets anyways, in order to get Ginn on the field. There really aren't any TEs out there that are better players than Marty Booker, and Cam said he wants TEs that have speed. Blocking isn't as important. If that is the case why not just run 3 wrs? Collectively the TEs in the draft were pretty slow as well. Olson was the only one that ran well.

They are obviously pretty happy with what we are working with.

9. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

Cam wants an elite TE and he will get one next year.

When are you guys going to come to and wake up. It was bad year for obtaining TE talent. They did an excellent job obtaining Martin.

We will get our star TE next year in free agency or the first day of the draft.

None of these names being thrown around are worth anything, and as far as drafting second day players or signing undrafted rookies, what the hell for?
    We have 5 TE's on the roster and Rader has looked good and Peele is a decent backup.

10. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

our tight ends are completely fine

11. raul17

raul17 Member

John Denney has played DE

12. raul17

raul17 Member

Peelle was better than McMichael last season. McMichael dropped too many balls and was barely active in the offense. In otherwords, he was performing like a back-up and his salary was too expensive for a back-up. With the o-line very shaky, the TE will have to block more than running routes and Martin, Peelle, and company are talented enough to do that.

And wasn't McMichael involve in a domestic issue a few times last season?

13. romio

romio Seasoned Veteran

only a guess by lil ol me a fan ,,,,,word is jeremy schockey doesnt want to be a giant and he lives and trains in miami and wont show up or leave miami for giants pre camps?
    just a thought not a rumor

14. NathanHunt

NathanHunt Fluff Girls are underpaid.

Even if Martin is *believed* to be the future, I don't understand why we didn't sign a few UDFA's to come in a compete. They're FREE to try out for goodness sake! What's wrong with a little competition?

15. trate121hb

trate121hb Go Heat!

i think we'll wait and see with cuts but i know cam is very high on martin.....the uy just needs to stay healthy

16. Lee2000

Lee2000 FinHeaven VIP

Receiving skills are strongly desired in TEs in Cameron's

offense. Mass. and Rader both are known more for their receiving skills than their blocking. Now Peele is known more for his blocking, and was with San Diego, so it may be that their is a desire to get both (receiver or blocker). But it is obvious Cameron liked what he had. It was a weak draft for TEs.

Lee2000 ps. a guy like Sutton at 6-6 could be used much like Cameron would use a receiving te.

17. rayfinkle5

rayfinkle5 Starter

I could not agree less with you. We "did an excellent job obtaining Martin"? Based on what? We have all seen the guys 7 year career numbers. What is excellent about any part of them? And being a backup to Franks doesn't count for anything. In fact, I am tired of seeing people write that because I am not thrilled with Bubba either. Doubt there was a large market for Martin so please don't write that any more.

Secondly, you don't think other positions will present themselves to be an issue this year? You don't think someone will underachieve or get injured at a more important position? You already have us with a TE in day one of the draft next year. Doubt the Dolphins are working that hard on determining which TE we will take on day one in next years draft. Also, why wait? Thats right, you already said this was a bad year for obtaining TE talent. Dude, there are only a few elite TE's. Give me a year when the market was flooded with elite TE's either in the draft or free agency.

FA's, you say the aren't worth anything, I say they don't cost anything. So why not bring someone in and take a closer look? Many other teams have. Scratch that! Many other teams with better TE's have! Here I will save you some time:

Anthony Pudewell - Nevada - Jaguars
    Braden Jones - Southern Illinois - Vikings
    Chad Upshaw - Buffalo - Panthers
    Cody Boyd - Washington State - Steelers
    Dan Murray - Connecticut - Jaguars
    Daniel Coats - BYU - Bengals
    Jake Nordin - Northern Illinois - Patriots
    Joe Newton - Oregon State - Seahawks
    Johnny Harline - BYU - Colts
    Jon Hamlett - North Carolina - Falcons
    Julius McClellan - North Carolina Central - Panthers
    Kendrick Ballantyne - Northeastern - Ravens
    Luke Smith-Anderson - Idaho - Texans
    Matt Farbotko - Harvard - Colts
    Michael Mathews - Georgia Tech - Giants
    Marcus Freeman - Ravens
    Rodney Hannah - Houston - Cowboys
    Rudy Sylvan - Ohio - Lions
    Steve Buches - Pittsburgh - Rams
    Zach Herold - Nebraska Omaha - 49ers

All of these teams are stronger at TE than the mighty fish. Guess these teams found some "worth" in some of these names you claimed aren't "worth anything". So why bring in a FA?

Antonio Gates!

18. Silverphin

Silverphin Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

Am I the only one who thinks we should bring back Lorenzo Diamond?

19. bwb8605

bwb8605 Scout Team

I really think Cam may use one of the many FBs on our roster as a TE, similar to a Chris Cooley for Washington. Otherwise, we're going to cut a lot of players. Teams usually don't even 2 FBs, and yet we signed an FA and drafted one. I think one of them will be a utility guy. And if it doesn't work out this year, then they'll draft a TE in the 2nd round next year

20. Dolfan81

Dolfan81 Pro Bowler

becuz we alreadi have 5 TEs competeing, we dnt want 2 many or it my turn out likew r WRs did last year. they had no idea who 2 keep

21. diehardfin

diehardfin All pro

cam is not a big tight end guy. In san diego he ran neal a lot more than a second tight end and he will do that again. only in this last season did he utilize the TE more with manumaleuna but he still prefers the FB

22. chillyphins

chillyphins Starter

Im still bitter about letting Ben Patrick slip by with one of our 6th round picks!

23. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

This was a very weak draft class for TEs.
    There are no quality TEs availible, so they signed whom they thought was their best option.

You can not address all your needs in one offseason. Be patient, Martin may very well be a good TE, he may not, we will see.

24. MiamiDolphins34

MiamiDolphins34 A True Fan

Me too,passing on a TE like him for a fb:err:

25. NawlinsBucFan

NawlinsBucFan Well-Known Member

WOW! Doesn't anyone on this board call people out for making flat out WRONG, completely inaccurate, total non-sense posts anymore?

Peele= 16 catches, 116 yards
    McMichael= 62 catches, 640 yards.

On what planet, in what universe is does that equate to Peele being better than McMichael?

Maybe you're just trying to be positive and defend your new coaches moves, but geez man, at least try to post something in the same zip code as factual.

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Bizzaro dolphin world. The same people act like MArtin is an upgrade even though he had barely that many catches in his career which has been 1 year longer tham Mcmichael.Peele is not very good at all.

27. DallasDolfan

DallasDolfan Well-Known Member

JT is going to be our 3rd down TE this year. I got this from a personal conversation with Cam and Randy.

28. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

David Martin will surprise is he stays healthy...That's a big if though because that's what's held him back thus far in his career.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well if he could not stay healthy for 7 years, odds are not good for this year either but hey maybe Yatil green will make a comeback.

30. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

Ya me too.:)

31. rayfinkle5

rayfinkle5 Starter

I know! When the draft ended and we had not selected a TE I thought they had a free agent signing up there sleeve. A TE that they loved, who they knew would not be drafted. So much for that theory!

32. jdang307

jdang307 FinHeaven VIP

Sure we call them out. You just beat us to it! Iwas going to say "check out McMike's stats and rankings but you got him taken care of. Imagine that, a Bucs fan pulling a "dolphin's" fan card on of our own players.

33. NawlinsBucFan

NawlinsBucFan Well-Known Member

Nice to see that someone around here as a grip on reality. If the Bucs signed a guy who never caught more than 27 passes in a year, then cut a guy who hadn't caught fewer than 40 passes since he was a rookie, I would not be happy about it.

But if there is one thing Cam is proving good at, it's spitting in the Dolfans' collective faces and telling you all that it's raining.

I'm simply amazed at the number of people who believe him.

If the Bucs didn't have so many problems, Id feel bad for you guys. :(

34. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

So he's the Kelly Campbell of TE's. How many times has he been injured?

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well we are not counting on kelly campbell to be our starter. I'm not sure really but thats the excuse I see when you look at the small amount he has done.

36. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

I see, he was a back up so I doubt he had alot of time to play to begin with.

37. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You just don't see many players magically become real good after 7 years in the league.

38. Finole

Finole FinHeaven VIP

I was very surprised we didn't sign Joe Newton, Jonny Harline, Daniel Coats, Matt Trannon, Dan Murray, Matt Herian, Julius McClellan, Anthony Pudewell, Rodney Hannah, Cody Boyd, Zach Herold, Chad Upshaw, or Rudy Sylvan.

Braden Jones has off-the-field issues, and Mueller and Cameron seem to be steering clear of guys with any "character" concerns.

I don't think Samuel Smith from FIU has signed with anybody. But there again, maybe there's a "character" issue because he was suspended for that brawl with the Canes.

I'd never heard of Jake Nordin, Jon Hamlett, Kendrick Ballantyne, Luke Smith, Matt Farbotko, Michael Mathews, Marcus Freeman, or Steve Buches before I read your post.

The only thing I can figure: We weren't able to sign any of the guys we liked. And didn't consider any of the other guys an upgrade over the TEs we already have on our roster.

39. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

Hey, maybe David Martin will have a pro bowl year.

:sidelol:

40. finnnhero

finnnhero Active Member

give JT a shot at TE!!!!!!!