Norwell Solves “Forever” Problem at Left Guard | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Norwell Solves “Forever” Problem at Left Guard

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Norwell is currently the starting Left Guard for the Carolina Panthers. He’s a 26 year old, 6’6″, 325 lb NFL First-Team All-Pro coming off a truly dominant 2017 season. Pro Football Focus (PFF) named him to their First-Team All-Pro Honors list. Here’s why:

• PFF Overall 2017 Grade: 88.7 (that’s ‘Elite’ territory, #3 among all OGs)
  • Among OGs (170+ pass-blocks), 2nd in pass-blocking efficiency at 98.3
  • 8th best run blocker among all OGs with a PFF grade of 83.4
  • The only OG in 2018 to not commit a single penalty (500+ snaps).
  • Moreover, there were Zero penalties committed in a total of 903 snaps.
  • In addition, he didn’t allow a single sack all season in 2017
  • Again, the only OG (200+ pass-blocks) to not allow even a single hit, one of only four OGs to achieve this feat since PFF started collecting data back in 2006
Norwell: zero penalties, zero hits, zero sacks allowed!
That’s nothing short of an unbelievable streak, especially for penalty ridden Phins fans. Since taking over the starting job last season, he has earned a reputation for proper technique, fundamentals, and the ability to execute play-in and play-out. Especially hard to believe of a player who wasn’t even drafted …yes, that’s right …he was a UDFA!

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-norwell-solves-forever-problem-left-guard/

He’s going to have a high price tag. It also underscores why I don’t believe it is prudent to draft a G at 11.
O linemen often take a couple of seasons to develop and gems can often be found beyond the 1st rd.
It’s rare for an UDFA to make such an impact, but guys like Evan Mathis and Mark Dixon were guys who came into the league relatively unknown as well.

He’s going to have a high price tag. It also underscores why I don’t believe it is prudent to draft a G at 11.
O linemen often take a couple of seasons to develop and gems can often be found beyond the 1st rd.
It’s rare for an UDFA to make such an impact, but guys like Evan Mathis and Mark Dixon were guys who came into the league relatively unknown as well.

I'd give him the Ju'Wuan James money.

I would do that in a heartbeat. However, if I recall last FA period, the top Guards were getting considerably more than what James’ 5th ur option amounts to.
I would love to go into the draft targeting defense, TE, RB and possibly QB if the value is there

Would you do it if it meant letting Ja'Wuan James walk and replacing him with a cheap option?

Are you in favor of the re-allocation of resources from right tackle to left guard, making sure you've got a Richie Incognito at left guard but risking a Tyson Clabo right tackle?

Or is it that you want to pay Ja'Wuan James $9 million and then on top of it buy a left guard for $9 million, while still allocating $8 million to Mike Pouncey, with #13 overall pick (plus $3 million) already allocated to Laremy Tunsil?

Would you do it if it meant letting Ja'Wuan James walk and replacing him with a cheap option?

Are you in favor of the re-allocation of resources from right tackle to left guard, making sure you've got a Richie Incognito at left guard but risking a Tyson Clabo right tackle?

Or is it that you want to pay Ja'Wuan James $9 million and then on top of it buy a left guard for $9 million, while still allocating $8 million to Mike Pouncey, with #13 overall pick (plus $3 million) already allocated to Laremy Tunsil?

Maybe Jesse Davis or Eric Smith at RT, depends on Davis if he's certainly an OG or can play RT just as well. Maybe draft a RT like Kolton Miller or Orkorafor, though I can see Miller at LT, very good feet and kickslide on him. Maybe draft for OG your guy Will Hernandez who looks awfully good, Billy Price if he slips to us in the 2nd rd. I'd still draft Quenton Nelson in the 1st rd, maybe sign Norwell and let RT play out. James is just not worth the $9 mil.

Absolutely. Like jim1 said, Davis or Smith at RT. I think Davis personally. imo he looked better at RT than RG, but im no expert. Smith was looking good in preseason, could be excellent depth or a starter in the future. Davis also got much more experience than any of the other young guys last season. Norwell would kick Larsen to RG where he is supposedly more comfortable. I think we should still draft someone, day 2 for G/C in the future and we might have a decent OL.

So then this is a combination of thinking that the Dolphins have uncovered a player that is much more valuable than his price tag (Jesse Davis) and being comfortable risking him being a Tyson Clabo so long as you've got that left guard position locked down?

I like the idea but what happens on the right side of the Line.No RG and a unknown RT.
Jesse Davis will be in the mix for one of those spots, probably guard. I could be talked into keeping James at the right price, however $9.3 million is definitely NOT the right price

I've seen enough of Jesse Davis that I think he is not going to be a "Heading into Retirement" Tyson Clabo situation.

I certainly would rather see them pay Norwell 9 mil/yr than pay Pouncey 8 mil. I have no confidence in Pouncey staying healthy for another full season or him playing at a high level even when he is on the field.

Jesse Davis played like a pro bowler. Where is this tyson stuff coming from

Back
Top Bottom