Notre Dame Zach Martin @ # 19??

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Roman529, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Zack Martin sounds like a great fit for us. He can play the Tackle or Guard spot and he dominated at the Senior Bowl. We could use a high character guy like this. I know O-lineman are not sexy pics but we have to get Tanny some help. He is getting sacked way too much. We can also sign a free agent O-lineman and then go get a Tight End, RB and some defensive help.

[video=youtube;qq1CSNPYrZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1CSNPYrZo[/video]

[video=youtube;2pSMMQqOZ1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSMMQqOZ1Q[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  2. timothy1969

timothy1969 Active Member

3. Roman529

Wow, I just clicked on ESPN and both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper also have us drafting Zack Martin in today's mock draft. :brewskis:

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I love it. One of the safest picks in the draft and can help right away.

5. Roman529

One of my friend's who subscribes to ESPN Insider sent me this link from ESPN's James Walker on McShay's/Kiper's pick. I won't copy the whole thing so as not to violate any copyright stuff:

With the 2013 season officially in the books, it’s time to shift our focus to 2014. ESPN draft experts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both produced their post-Super Bowl mock drafts on Thursday.

Here is how they view the Miami Dolphins with the No. 19 overall pick:
    Kiper : Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
    McShay : Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/5273/kipermcshay-mock-draft-reax-dolphins

6. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

we should try to trade down a few spots then grab him. maybe add a late 2nd.

7. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I'd not mind having a guy like him on our team but a couple of things to consider. First, what we do in free agency. If we get a vet LT ten we could draft Martin and play him inside where we need help. However, if we get a LT and a guard in free agency, do we still go o-line at 19? I kow we're going to need at least 3 new starters up front but we have other holes too. Also, will he still be there at 19? And if he is, who else is still there at another position? This is why the FO will not know who they're drafting till they're on the clock. We can speculate but things go different than we expect on draft day. We don't know who'll drop down and that can change your plans. The FO will have a number of players targeted that they feel might be ther at 19. Also, they'll be stupid not to listen to trade offers. With so many holes and only 6 picks we might want to move down.

Ozzy rules!!

8. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Taking Martin in the 1st and ,I do not know how likely it is, Bryan Stork in the 3rd would help the OL immensely. That would give us Pouncey, Martin, and Stork that can all play multiple positions. Let them go through TC and see where the best fit. Stork at OG or OC, Pouncey at OG or OC, and Martin at OT or OG(preferably OT). I think I would go heavy on the OL in the draft, maybe even pick another late.

9. miami9954

miami9954 Rookie Finheaven VIP Donator

I have no probelm with Martin a 19,Tough ,athletic and smart.If Lewan is also there at 19 thats where it gets tough for me.To me Lewan has the prototypical body type for a tackle be it left or right.While I do see Martin as capable at tackle ,I see him as an idea fit for us at left guard.Really comes down to what we do in free agency.

10. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

Would rather sign proven guys in FA at LT and OG to start and draft OL for depth in rounds 3-7. Deep tackle draft. A lot of pundits at the Senior Bowl said that guys who were not there could be better than the guys who were there.

11. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Wouldn't be bad. He's a good player and he's versatile. Martin was very good at LT for ND and probably could play there and be at least decent in the NFL. He has the ability to be a top caliber guard which I think is where he'll settle in.

12. Daman379

Daman379 Rookie

Martin looks like he's maxed out. So we need to be smart about drafting him. 2-3rd round but not in the first for him! There will be a stud Linebacker or DT that will fall to us in the first!

13. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Plenty of good DT's later in the draft. Not that many tackles... Don't think twice and grab Martin if he's there.

14. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

What I don't get about the Zach Martin love is what sets him apart from the David Yankey's, Xavier Su'a Filo's and Joel Bitonio's of the draft? He looks solid with good feet, but is going to have to play guard (with the ability to maybe cover tackle as a backup). As a guard prospect, he doesn't really stand out from the other good prospects in the draft - all of who are slated to go later than Pick 19.

It's a reach, imo. I can guarantee that he won't be the "BPA" on many GMs' lists at 19. At Pick 30, I could definitely see him coming into the equation as a must-have.

15. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

can he pull at guard?

16. Bingit

Bingit Well-Known Member

Fans will find something to complain about no matter who we pick. If we pick Zach people will complain and say same old drafting style. Another lineman. If we draft a different position people will complain about the need for help on the line. It's a lose lose for Hickey.

17. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

No more O-lineman named Martin please! :lol:

18. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I wouldn't like it. On a mediocre roster your aim has to be higher than Zach Martin, particularly if the supposed new emphasis is best player available and not scrambling to fill a need.

With so many talented juniors coming out, it's hard for me to believe that at least 19 of them aren't better than a 23 year old narrow shouldered guy who is not ideally suited for the position he played in college.

I like Zach Martin. I'm certain he will be a good pro, probably from the outset if at guard. But that's not a visionary pick. It's a Steve Ross caliber pick, always reacting instead of several steps ahead of the opposition. The Dolphins might solidify on the offensive line with Zach Martin but that type of desperate choice allows other teams to swoop up superior talent at nearby slots and then find an offensive line gem later. For one thing, I'm unconvinced that Martin is markedly better than Brian Schwenke, who went in the fourth round last year.

Aaron Donald is a better player than Zach Martin. If we teamed a true penetrating disruptor like Donald with a mountain man like Soliai that would be the best interior combo we've had in 15 years.

19. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

He's rated to go top 15-20, top rated offensive guard in the draft, top 4 rated offensive tackle and can play on both sides. I'm fairly certain he would be the BPA with the 19th pick......

He's a very good pick. Needing a G/T is just a bonus.

I think the problem is that people just don't think offensive line is a valuable position. They look at flashy players and want that, but they just don't understand that without an offensive line those flashy players are irrelevant, and your Qb will be torn apart and possibly lose all confidence to play in the NFL. You need top rated guys that know how to fight in the trenches against good opposition, not undrafted free agent practice squad players...

20. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm with Fin and Awsi on this one. Nothing against Zach Martin, but if you can't find a solid guard in the later rounds, you don't have a chance anyway. We're not talking about a Greg Robinson kind of O-lineman who can clear out a side or do ridiculous things in space. We're talking about a guy who should be good, solid.

BTW, Jimmie Ward is starting to get love as a 1st RD pick. Rob Rang had him mocked to Denver at #31 - which makes sense, given what Earl Thomas did to their offense.

21. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Wow. I'm not sure that's great value, even though I think he's a quality player. He's a bit on the small side, but the Earl Thomas comparison is very good. I love to watch guys who read a play and, before their brain is finished processing the information, their body is already half way to the tackle. It's that mix of instinct and decisiveness that's the golden ingredient. Helps that he has the speed and athleticism to get there and lay the wood too.

On the guard/tackle discussion, I think what some of us are saying is we have enough solid players on this squad. Yes, we have to remodel the o-line, but we can't afford to stock the roster with decent year 1 starters who stay decent and nothing more. We need about 5 players who have much bigger upside than our average player standard, even if the bust risk is higher, even if the year 1 production isn't there. This is what I like about the Hickey hire. You can see in TBs drafts (whoever was at the helm) that they shot for the lights with certain players. I have to say I appreciated Ireland making a play for Jordan the way he did, whether it works out or not (and I suspect it will). It was the rest of his draft that was appalling.

22. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Combine will be big for Ward. He has to run in the low 4.5's (at worst) to be in the discussion for a 1st Rd pick. I think he's worth a 1st either way, but coming from the MAC and being on the smaller side, teams will want him to run well. Seattle is prioritizing Thomas over Sherman. If you have a FS who can excel in the single high, you can do so many things on D. For Miami, it'd mean allowing R. Jones to play down in the box, where he's MUCH better. Like I said, I think Ward is a 1st RD guy all the way and one of the most unique talents in the draft. If a team is looking to copy Seattle's defensive philosophy, Ward should be at the top of their wishlist. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go top-20.

And you're right about the decent 1 year starter thing. That philosophy is death to a franchise.

23. jimlerario

jimlerario Well-Known Member

What blocking scene did he run?,????????

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I'm not a fan of taking a G in the first, don't see the value. As posted on the main, I'm looking to take the best DT from Nix, Donald, etc.

25. Roman529

He played Left Tackle all four years at Notre Dame. Why do you call him a Guard? Just because some people project him as possibly going to the Guard spot doesn't make it so. :rolleyes2:

26. So Be

So Be A True Fan

IF he projected out to be a top LT, there is no way he would be available at #19. A decent LT is not a 1st round pick nor is any guard. JMO.

27. mahmacoat

mahmacoat Banned Hammered

I thought this was a deep OT class

28. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

There are a lot of NFL prospects but only a few guys that are considered sure things.

29. Roman529

Ok I see your point. I have seen Martin mocked to the NY Giants at around the 12th pick.....to around the mid-20's. I think he is better than Michigan's Lewan, and doesn't have the charachter issues. I also like him over Bama's Kouandijo...not sure I spelled his name right. The O-line is never going to be a "sexy pick," like a RB, TE or WR, but Tannehill could get seriously injured if he keeps taking hits.

Who do you want at #19???

30. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

If we take OL at 19, he is my pick.

31. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

It's deep compared to some other positions, but Defensive tackle is the deepest this year, imo.

32. Digital

Digital Starter

I like Zack Martin ... but as an NFL OT I think he will be solid, not spectacular. It is as an OG where I think he can become truly elite. His footwork, power, flexibility, hands, all the little things are right. The guy might be the next Logan Mankins. He is a great fit for a ZBS.

But, as an NFL OT, I think he lacks length. With short arms and narrow shoulders I don't really see the extension he would need to play LT, and would prefer to play RT. When you're lining up against long super-athletes like Aldon Smith (unbelievably long arms), JPP, and in our own division guys like Mario Williams and Chandler Jones, it is going to be very difficult to continually stonewall those guys when they always get leverage on you. Let's face it, the competition at the Senior Bowl isn't that stiff. Trent Murphy is a decent player, but he is subpar compared to most NFL starting RDE's and ROLB's. As a LT, I think ZM might be a bit overmatched despite his strength being working in space.

As an OG, his only issue may be power. Despite his good knee bend and leverage, he is more of a move guy than a powerhouse.

While I would welcome him and be happy to draft him at 19, if Taylor Lewan is also there I'd take Lewan 10 out of 10 times. He isn't as quick as Zack is, but those long levers really help in pass protection. But if the OT's are gone and we can get an elite LG like Martin, I'd be quite happy to have him.

33. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

Yeah, I wouldn't mind some experience on the o-line. Guys that would be around 3-5 years. A LT and 2 guards. Draft a RT in the 2nd that can become a starter and keep Clabo. Go best available player in the 1st. Ebron would be nice. I understand getting 3 quality FA linemen would be hard but we can't have anymore of that crap we had last year. Fill out the rest of the draft with needs.