O-gun Cant Sit Out This Year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

O-gun Cant Sit Out This Year

KillerJosh373

Starter
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been talked about yet, but I just read that if O-Gun tries to sit out the first 6 games of the season that Miami can suspend him for 3 games after that. So he wouldnt play in the minimum amount of games to be an unrestricted FA next year. So basically either he's either playin the whole season for the minimum this year, we're re-signing him, or we're trading him. Is this old news, cause I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned at all. Heres a link http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1838837

"Fuzzy math" as George W. would say.

The Dolphins are obligated under NFL guidelines to notify Ogunleye I believe its 2 or 3 weeks prior to the first regular season game, about whether or not they plan to use the 3 game suspension.

So basically Ogunleye will know exactly when he needs to report to practice in order to accrue the season...and we can't keep him from signing the deal and coming to practice. If we withdraw the deal, he becomes an unrestricted free agent immediately.

Yeah old news bro. This has been discussed about a monthy ago. Ck is right. We have to notify O-gun of the suspension prior to the season, that just means O-gun reports three games earlier than originally thought and still accrues enough time to become a free agent.

I don't see why we'd do it unless we wanted him practicing for three weeks to get some chemistry back with teammates and get him into better game shape so that we get more bang for our buck out of those 6 games...cuz even if we use the suspension and make him come into practice 3 weeks early, no matter what we still have him for only 6 games.

It would be cool if we didn't have to notify Ogunleye about the suspension, then he would HAVE to come to practice around Week 9 or 10, because if he waited the full 10 games we could use the suspension and he would not accrue the season and that would be way too costly for him...so anyway he would come back to us with about 9 games left in the season...and then we could just up and not use the suspension so that we get him for the full 9 games. That would be cool. But, its not meant to be.

KillerJosh373 said:
I dont know if this has been talked about yet

I think everything that could have been talked about on this subject has been. :D

ckparrothead said:
I don't see why we'd do it unless we wanted him practicing for three weeks to get some chemistry back with teammates and get him into better game shape so that we get more bang for our buck out of those 6 games...cuz even if we use the suspension and make him come into practice 3 weeks early, no matter what we still have him for only 6 games.

It would be cool if we didn't have to notify Ogunleye about the suspension, then he would HAVE to come to practice around Week 9 or 10, because if he waited the full 10 games we could use the suspension and he would not accrue the season and that would be way too costly for him...so anyway he would come back to us with about 9 games left in the season...and then we could just up and not use the suspension so that we get him for the full 9 games. That would be cool. But, its not meant to be.

Is it a possibility that we could inform him of the suspension, get him to sign and report by week 7 and then lift the suspension so he plays?? Just a thought

couldnt we just de-activate him for the remainder of the season after he reports? that would be a real good way to spite him, IMO.

ABrownLamp said:
Wasn't there a similar situation with Duce Staley last year? What happned with that I forget?[/QUO

Duce was a professional about it and played the whole year. Probably was the best thing he could have done because he upped his own demand and got decent $$ from the Steelers. Does Ogun think he is still gonna get huge money if he shows that he will play these games because of his agent and plays only half a season? What if he doesn't perform when he does play and his stats suck? He's risking an awful lot here.

Back
Top Bottom