O-Line May be the worst part of the team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Billk78, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

We need so much: secondary help. WRs, another pass rusher. But I have to say Im extremely disappointed in the offensive line. They got manhandled today. We couldnt run the ball all year (blame it on Bush if you want). But how many high picks have we spent on linemen? This is an area Sparano/Ireland really screwed us with. It could take a while to rebuild it.

If you believe Long can stay healthy and will be back we have him, Pouncey and Martin (hopefully he improves). For all we did to try to have a great line though, its a huge disappointment. We KNEW we sucked at WR. We knew secondary would need help. But o-line was supposed to be a strong point.

Lets hope it doesnt take several years to get fixed.

2. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

Garner stunk and Martin got bullrushed by a damn CB for a sack and then gave up a sack to an undrafted FA. It pisses me off that the Patriots find bums off the street who are better than the slobs that Ireland drafts.

3. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

yep

keep perspective on the new cb's/wr's. they dont know NE.

4. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Garner was absolutely disgusting out there today. A tackling dummy would have been more effective out there today.

5. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

O-line looked very slow and unathletic this year. Probably why we weren't able to execute a simple screen pass. It isn't the biggest problem but god they were abused today.

6. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Yep :-(

7. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Martin had a bad play here and there, but Garner made Marc Columbo look All-Pro today. The OL just got overpowered today,

8. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Had to be the worst offensive line performance I have ever seen from a Miami Dolphin team today.

9. finfanatic13

finfanatic13 Scout Team

May? There is no question here. They are horrid.

10. hab321

hab321 Well-Known Member

Maybe Sparano will get fired and we can pick him up to coach the o-line. The between him and Philpin we'll have the best coached o-line in the league :sarcon:

11. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

my gawd, im so embarrased at the patheticness that this gm has put together on our o-line, i just dont see how irelands job is safe??? someone, please explain it to me.

12. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Pass rush needs help

13. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

.....And that is the why Miami can't afford to lose Long, even if they can't afford to re-sign him at that ridiculous amount his agent will probably ask for.

14. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Bro we need improvement not status quo.

15. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Its all about Long's health. When healthy he is an all pro but who knows if he will ever be healthy again. I really struggle with this one.

16. attahualpa

attahualpa Member

I'm surprised Tannehill made it through the end of the season. The oline does him no favors.

17. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

One other idea about Long and the OL. What about Long moving to RT and keeping Martin at LT? Would this have any impact in Long's health plus stabilize the OL?

18. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

I can see our number 1 pick being OG Chance Warmack, fits Ireland's history of 1st rounders.

19. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

The pass rush was on the Miami coaches too, especially Sherman. He SUCKS as a playcaller. Period. I thought the same thing at Texas A&M with his offenses. He's so predictable it allows the defense to jump all those short routes and allow the DLine time to get to the QB. Many of the sacks today were coverage sacks. The coaches also needed to help Garner more by putting Fasano over there to chip. They could do that with TEs or RBs on both sides and then slide those guys out into the flats. Bush wasn't used much in the pass game which is a HUGE mistake. The one time he was, he was WIDE open but Tannehill missed him.

We needed to run the ball more to keep the defense honest and allow for play-action. I realize we weren't averaging much per run early on, but you still have to stick with it. We don't have the OLine to become passing predictable.

20. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The oline really was exposed for the first time with Jake Long not there. We need Big Jake to return to form and move Martin (hopefully much stronger after an off season in the weight room) back to RT. Pouncey is great and Incog got probowl recognition. Not sure why he's so unpopular on this site. Bring in 2 new guards and let them battle it out in camp and see who beats out Jerry or Incog. If an elite guard is there I might use a #2 or #3 to upgrade. The op is so right and Garner was awful. Tanny almost got killed and had no time at all to make a play. If your rookie QB has no time to throw, no push in the rungame and average to mediocre recievers to throw to and it's December and you're playing the Pats at home you get results like we saw today. Absolute crap. Much to fix and it was hard to watc

21. tay0365

You really believe the offensive line minus Long is better? I understand letting him go because of his crazy demands for his new contract, but unless it's proven he will never be the same because of injury, an O-line without Long will not be as good, and will only give Miami yet another position they need to find talent at.

22. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I honestly don't think the O-Line minus long is worse, or at least, it's not twelve million dollars per year worse. Bring in a right tackle to play across from Martin and use the $7 million in savings to pay Greg Jennings.

23. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

seriously… after 5yrs, and more cash spent on that crew than by any other team in the league during that time… great GM'ing there Jazzy Jeff… good job son

24. tay0365

But that is the problem, get red of Long, and now you need to either keep Martin (Who needs to almost live in the weight room if he ever want's to survive at L-tackle in the NFL) at LT, and find a reliable R-tackle (Easier said then done.....Columbo), or Move Martin back to the right and get a stronger more exp L-tackle (Tougher in the draft or more expensive through FA).

I do not want Miami to pay Long even close to what he wants, but trust me, we lose Long, Miami will be weaker, and will have to add another position to it's already big grocery list.

25. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Martin needs to hit the weights and go beast mode over the offseason. Clean bulk.

26. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Can Jake stay healthy and earn that 10-15 million a year to protect Ryan? If not maybe it is time for the team to move in another direction. It is a real tough question that will have to be addressed in the near future bro.

27. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Someone with a clue! Our OL is ****...

28. eddie4fins

eddie4fins Pro Bowler

they did not give Tanny a chance alll day long, disgraceful!

29. Wannstedt Sux

Wannstedt Sux Fireland

This is what happens when you put bums like John Jerry and Jonathan Martin on a line together. They get crushed. Our line should be built like New England's. Thats how you build a line. Of course I wouldn't expect Jeff Ireland to know that.

30. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

I don't know what's worse: watching Tannehill get destroyed in fewer than 3 seconds, or watching Brady chill out with a picnic lunch and all day to throw in the pocket.

31. goonies

goonies A True Fan

We r in luck boys, this years draft is ol heavy. This upcoming draft is the yr to add quality ol . Not popular but damn good yr for ol. Martin got bullrushed by a freaking corner, I think Shula would of cut him on the spot.

32. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Its his first year yo, he needs time.

33. fakespike

fakespike Starter

After watching today's game, I would no longer go psychotic if we draft an OT with our #12 pick, as long as we've already landed one of the prized FA WRs. If Matthews or Joeckel slip, snatch them. Those guys dominated Alabama. I hate to do it, but we have to protect RT. I think we will have better luck finding an oxplosive playmaking receiver through free agency; clearly Ireland cannot find a FA lineman to save his life.

34. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I agree with those two points in particular. We needed to line up in the I formation and find 15-18 rushes in the first half, even if the yardage was minimal. That's the only way the offensive line wasn't going to crumble in the second half.

The way we played it, it was like we were determined to get Tannehill hammered in the second half.

Reggie Bush was actually targeted on at least two throws. The first one was over the middle and was deflected away at the last second. Then Tannehill missed the deep throw when Reggie had maneuvered wide open.

That was a particularly nervous moment for the Reggie haters. You've got to laugh at how pathetic they are. They know damn well that one huge play ruins their flailing arguments. Minus the big plays they can happily claim that Reggie dances on every play, even last week when we ran hard on virtually every touch. Imagine their horror when Reggie popped wide open today. Luckily Tannehill overthrew it. And that's hysterical in itself. They can close their eyes to that play and insist Tannehill had nothing available all day, and that he played a fine game. They'll assign zero points to the roster, not Tannehill. If he'd hit that throw then Reggie has four touchdowns over the final two games, including a highlight play that was certain to make Sportscenter all night. Runaway tantrums. :lol:

35. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

If he addresses the wide receiver position aggressively in free agency and also in the 2nd round of the draft (possibly even trying to trade up), I could live with taking a tackle at #12. But what in Jeff's history would lead anyone to believe that's what he will do?

36. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

You are correct, but in the right system. Long is not athletic enough for a WCO that incorporates a zone blocking scheme. I have no doubt Long will get healthy and go somewhere that his style fits and do well. He actually did ok in pass protection this season, but was horrid in run blocking and can get outside for screens and stratch plays. I like Big Jake, hell I even own a jersy of his, but he doesn't fit what they want to do in Miami.

37. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Any Michigan fans out there? I'm pretty sure Michigan ran the zone blocking scheme when Jake was there.

38. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Normally I would strongly disagree but given the lack of playmakers in this draft I would sign off on drafting an OT in the first.

39. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Nice job by Ireland building this o line. At least he didn't spend a lot of money and high draft picks on it. If he did, we wouldn't have all those playmakers we have. Can't wait to see what gems he gets us this offseason.