Odrick's new agents aren't happy with Dolphins / Clay headed for franchise tag?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Daytona Fin, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

[tweet]502562431718400000[/tweet]
    [tweet]502562743246127105[/tweet]

2. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

Uggh. Contract talk two weeks before the season opener.

3. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

awesome. leave it to agents to stir **** when things seem rosy for once

4. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

STFU and perform! Maybe if you rock out like a stud, you will get extended before season's end but now is not the time to gripe.

5. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Not the time. Offseason is over. The agents can **** off. Back in your holes until March d-bags.

6. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

C'mon man

7. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Stupid agents.

8. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

**** Odrick...what he brings to the table is easily got in FA for less money...

9. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Haha...so the agents for Odrick wanted a new contract before his current contract ends...what's new? Agents are always complaining and threatening stuff...it's their job. If Clay performs like last year he won't see free agency and franchise tag won't be needed...he'll be taken care of.

10. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Odrick is the type of player who will look real good as a FA pickup but isn't a centerpiece player so he will probably want a lot more in a contract extension than he is worth to us.

11. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I would offer Odrick a Mitchell type deal if thats what he's looking for.

12. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

Rosy? In Miami, I'd like to see the list of all that is rosy!

13. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Just meant that there has been a lot of positivity coming from the team....chemistry seems good, no FO fiascos, camp has gone well, etc. There have not been many distractions aside from the PED suspensions.

14. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

The negativity started last year wasn't by the players either, initially.

It was martin's agent that started that whole train wreck, and poured accelerant all over the flames.

He leaked the EDITED transcript of that drunken, joking voicemail and leaked stories about Martin being beaten up which proved to be false

15. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

If Odrick was asking to be paid like Earl Mitchell, you throw that contract on the table and laugh after he signs the deal.

Lets put Mitchell's deal into perspective. Paul Soliai almost got as much guaranteed money as Mitchell got total. Mitchell's yearly average is over $1 million less than Richard Marshall's deal with us. Its $1 million more then Brandon Gibson, who many of us feel is underpaid, is making. Its $2 million less per season than what Soliai was handed when he played for us and what Randy Starks is currently making.
    Now, im not going to say Odrick is equal to Starks and Soliai, but hes close. And i believe now that he should be getting more snaps he will show himself to be equal to those players. And hes already better than Mitchell(and before people freak out, i liked the Mitchell signing, i felt it was a savvy way to replace Soliai). As well, Odrick has shown some interior pass rush ability, which is such a coveted skill set in today's NFL.

Granted, the way that tweet was worded doesnt necessarily mean they wanted Mitchell's deal, they just wanted that money allocated into a bigger deal for their client. In that case, their angst is misplaced. Refusing to sign a good player in Mitchell isnt the problem. Giving a big contract to a bad player, Phillip Wheeler, is. Odrick(or i guess his agents) should have no hard feelings towards his new lineman, he should have some scorn at the inept player(s) playing behind him.

16. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

"My guy isn't the highest paid, unproven player in the entire league. I'm not happy." lol, gtfo

17. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Eh, this is pretty tame. His agents basically just said "Hey, what about our guy?"

Which is pretty much what they should be saying as the people looking out for their guy's financial best interest.

18. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The thing about extensions is it should work out to be a win-win for both the team and the player, the problem with the defensive tackle position is the value of the position seems to be in decline, as far as money goes anyway. Starks got $5 per, Mitchell got $4 per and Soliai got $6 per. There is no way we're going to pay Odrick as much as or more than Starks got as a free agent and I don't see him accepting $4 mill a year (or less) so in this case it probably doesn't make much sense to take the gamble on an extension for either side.

As for Clay I hate the wait and see approach, there is a lot of value in having the right to extend your players and that value goes away if you need to wait and see. This would be a black mark on Hickey for me unless he's thinking franchise tag all the way. And I can't really think of anybody else worthy of using the tag on so its probably a shrewd move.

There's no rush to extend Pouncey. We already have him locked up beyond this season (if we want him) and he's simply not worth the kind of money centers go for these days. Only way I resign him is if in two years the going rate for centers comes down a lot and his maturity level goes up a lot. Otherwise its time to move on.

19. MrClean

MrClean The one and only

This is all based on tweets by some anonymous person who calls himself NFL Draft Bites? Who the hell is NFL Draft Bites and why is everyone reacting like since they tweeted this, it must be true?

20. MrClean

MrClean The one and only

Last year, he had the 2nd most DL snaps after only Wake, and in 2012, he led the team in DL snaps. You think he should be getting even more this year?

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

this is nothing to sweat right now...make them play it out...odricks agents aren't looking for mitchell money anyways...they're looking for more than that...these things will get done when the time comes provided the players earn it

i'm sure clay will bet on himself this year anyways rather than take a low ball extension and frankly we need to see another year of it anyways before we take that plunge

22. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

While Odrick is a good player, it doesn't warrant extending a contract before it's up.

23. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Odrick is totally replaceable. I like him, but I am not terribly worried about it at this point.

24. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Arggh anyone remember R.Jones? Freakin WAIT!

25. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I like Odrick but he's already got a contract and through his prominent role, the opportunity to prove that he merits a better one.

New agent is doing his job but also on another layer, trying to confirm to Odrick and potential signees that he can move up timelines and get his clients paid. It's that old adage: "if you don't ask, you don't get" so I can't fault him for trying, It's now time however for him to just STFU instead of leaking this crap in an attempt to build pull-through media momo and pressure. If he thinks that's gonna work or go over well with Dawn, he's mistaken and probably doing his client more harm than good.

26. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

sounds like everyone is just doing their job in this situation. let it play out.

27. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Way I read it, Odrick isn't looking for a contract similar to Mitchell. He's looking for Mitchell's money plus the money he's already making. Given his performance and production, he adjust his expectations or take a walk.

28. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I read last week that Miami had concerns on Clay's surgically repaired knee, which he re-injured, as well as being a one year wonder. Also that they were testing the waters on an Odrick extension. I think it was by Jackson but, may be wrong. I don't see the problem in the team looking into an Odrick deal at this time to make life easier next year, and maybe get a better deal. It could affect what they do with some of the carry over money this year.

29. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I think this is good. More pressure is on Odrick to perform at a higher level. 8-10 sacks would get him a nice contract. Odrick is a good guy.

30. So Be

So Be A True Fan

With a second VG year, a good deal for Clay would be in the $5-6M average range. In FA, a guy like Cook got $7M, and the franchise tag this year was also $7M.

With a good to VG year, Odrick can be looking for the same $5-6M. Not sure we can afford both along with Pouncey, depends on how others do this year.

31. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Those LB contracts could have this team cash poor in trying to resign some of these guys....all teams have these issues...it will be much worse once this teams has to pay Tannehill....especially after seeing Dalton contract.

32. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

bam

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

These are ridiculous tweets timing wise. Why would we be thinking about or having to franchise Charles Clay. He has had one good season and Odrick hell im not sure what we have offered.

34. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

its a toss up whether he could get more on another team, sounds like agent just wants to be paid. its fair but if odrick was on another team on a big payday expectations would be way higher. he's not a 3 down starter, not yet. he would get exposed starting for another team

35. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Im pretty sure Odrick would start on most NFL teams...

36. KnifeOfTheDead

KnifeOfTheDead Starter

Odrick is a rotational player. He's good and solid, but he's not a stud by any means.

He's expendable. And if he goes, I'm going to miss having him but he's very replaceable.

37. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Odrick looks so arrogant out there. What has he ever done to play with such attitude? He jaws at the opponent across from him and often completely takes a play off, like a boxer dropping his guard because he knows he'll nail you soon.

I'm not sure I'd miss him. He generally arrives with the second wave.

Clay is an interesting case. The comparison to Reshad Jones doesn't work. Clay has far more raw ability than Jones. But Clay is more of a rover than a true tight end. If Jimmy Graham is campaigning not be be classified as a tight end then the Dolphins should be whining about any salary issue that labels Charles Clay as a tight end. However, Clay made countless plays near the line of scrimmage at Tulsa in designs that were similar to what the Eagles do. I wouldn't be surprised if he's used more creatively beginning this season.

38. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

j-off-her-doll is right. Odrick wasn't looking for Earl Mitchell money. He wanted the money Earl Mitchell is being paid and not Earl Mitchell.

I'm not sure how many people realize that NFL teams budget things by position. It's not just a free for all where you'll pay two guys at the same position premium money and get the savings from elsewhere. Teams make certain positions priorities and others not, set a budget for the different positions and work within those budgets. That's what Odrick's agents meant by "allocate." They know there's less money in the DT pool now because Mitchell is here. What Odrick seems to be forgetting is that the only reason he might see an extension at all is that Cameron Wake is taking one for the room and getting paid way less than he deserves.

The Dolphins are taking a wait and see approach with Clay because he only did it for half a year. I approve. Let's see how well he does when he's the focus of defensive game plans. If he can still thrive, then he's a keeper, and we'll be happy to pay. It's not like we won't have money in the budget for him when the time comes. We might have the lowest average salary for tight ends in the entire league. Sims got a fourth rounder's contract so he's probably the highest paid guy, which is absurd.

39. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

they need to quit the guaranteed money stuff. A player gets a big payday and he stops performing. God knows any average Joe doesn't perform to 110%, 110% of the time he gets fired.

40. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Last year we paid Starks, Soliai, and Odrick a combined $18M on the cap. This year, Starks is $4M, Mitchell is $3.5M, and Odrick is $2.8M for $10M. Next year, Starks would get $6M and Mitchell $4.5M, with Odrick a FA and the team having options. If Starks goes, it cost $1M and we save $5M. If Mitchell goes, it costs 0, and we save $4.5M.

Odrick's deal would be cheap in year one and go up in year 2 but Starks contract will be expired at age 32. The Mitchell contract is a good deal. All his guaranteed money is gone after this year. He get's $4.5, $3.5, and $4.5M the following 3 years if he plays well but 0 if he goes.

Good options, based on play, and we will see how Johnson or Francis develop.

The agent saying that the team should have kept Mitchell's money for Odrick is asinine, *** a 10, *** a 11, and *** a 12.