Odrick's new agents aren't happy with Dolphins / Clay headed for franchise tag? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Odrick's new agents aren't happy with Dolphins / Clay headed for franchise tag?

"My guy isn't the highest paid, unproven player in the entire league. I'm not happy." lol, gtfo

Eh, this is pretty tame. His agents basically just said "Hey, what about our guy?"

Which is pretty much what they should be saying as the people looking out for their guy's financial best interest.

The thing about extensions is it should work out to be a win-win for both the team and the player, the problem with the defensive tackle position is the value of the position seems to be in decline, as far as money goes anyway. Starks got $5 per, Mitchell got $4 per and Soliai got $6 per. There is no way we're going to pay Odrick as much as or more than Starks got as a free agent and I don't see him accepting $4 mill a year (or less) so in this case it probably doesn't make much sense to take the gamble on an extension for either side.

As for Clay I hate the wait and see approach, there is a lot of value in having the right to extend your players and that value goes away if you need to wait and see. This would be a black mark on Hickey for me unless he's thinking franchise tag all the way. And I can't really think of anybody else worthy of using the tag on so its probably a shrewd move.

There's no rush to extend Pouncey. We already have him locked up beyond this season (if we want him) and he's simply not worth the kind of money centers go for these days. Only way I resign him is if in two years the going rate for centers comes down a lot and his maturity level goes up a lot. Otherwise its time to move on.

This is all based on tweets by some anonymous person who calls himself NFL Draft Bites? Who the hell is NFL Draft Bites and why is everyone reacting like since they tweeted this, it must be true?

If Odrick was asking to be paid like Earl Mitchell, you throw that contract on the table and laugh after he signs the deal.

Lets put Mitchell's deal into perspective. Paul Soliai almost got as much guaranteed money as Mitchell got total. Mitchell's yearly average is over $1 million less than Richard Marshall's deal with us. Its $1 million more then Brandon Gibson, who many of us feel is underpaid, is making. Its $2 million less per season than what Soliai was handed when he played for us and what Randy Starks is currently making.
Now, im not going to say Odrick is equal to Starks and Soliai, but hes close. And i believe now that he should be getting more snaps he will show himself to be equal to those players. And hes already better than Mitchell(and before people freak out, i liked the Mitchell signing, i felt it was a savvy way to replace Soliai). As well, Odrick has shown some interior pass rush ability, which is such a coveted skill set in today's NFL.

Granted, the way that tweet was worded doesnt necessarily mean they wanted Mitchell's deal, they just wanted that money allocated into a bigger deal for their client. In that case, their angst is misplaced. Refusing to sign a good player in Mitchell isnt the problem. Giving a big contract to a bad player, Phillip Wheeler, is. Odrick(or i guess his agents) should have no hard feelings towards his new lineman, he should have some scorn at the inept player(s) playing behind him.

Last year, he had the 2nd most DL snaps after only Wake, and in 2012, he led the team in DL snaps. You think he should be getting even more this year?

this is nothing to sweat right now...make them play it out...odricks agents aren't looking for mitchell money anyways...they're looking for more than that...these things will get done when the time comes provided the players earn it

i'm sure clay will bet on himself this year anyways rather than take a low ball extension and frankly we need to see another year of it anyways before we take that plunge

While Odrick is a good player, it doesn't warrant extending a contract before it's up.

Odrick is totally replaceable. I like him, but I am not terribly worried about it at this point.

I like Odrick but he's already got a contract and through his prominent role, the opportunity to prove that he merits a better one.

New agent is doing his job but also on another layer, trying to confirm to Odrick and potential signees that he can move up timelines and get his clients paid. It's that old adage: "if you don't ask, you don't get" so I can't fault him for trying, It's now time however for him to just STFU instead of leaking this crap in an attempt to build pull-through media momo and pressure. If he thinks that's gonna work or go over well with Dawn, he's mistaken and probably doing his client more harm than good.

sounds like everyone is just doing their job in this situation. let it play out.

Way I read it, Odrick isn't looking for a contract similar to Mitchell. He's looking for Mitchell's money plus the money he's already making. Given his performance and production, he adjust his expectations or take a walk.

I read last week that Miami had concerns on Clay's surgically repaired knee, which he re-injured, as well as being a one year wonder. Also that they were testing the waters on an Odrick extension. I think it was by Jackson but, may be wrong. I don't see the problem in the team looking into an Odrick deal at this time to make life easier next year, and maybe get a better deal. It could affect what they do with some of the carry over money this year.

I think this is good. More pressure is on Odrick to perform at a higher level. 8-10 sacks would get him a nice contract. Odrick is a good guy.

With a second VG year, a good deal for Clay would be in the $5-6M average range. In FA, a guy like Cook got $7M, and the franchise tag this year was also $7M.

With a good to VG year, Odrick can be looking for the same $5-6M. Not sure we can afford both along with Pouncey, depends on how others do this year.

Back
Top Bottom