Off-Season Predictions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by J. David Wannyheimer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Well, since the season is over, I thought I'd post a thread where we can all spitball and make bold predictions about what we think is going to happen between now and training camp. Let's keep it Dolphins related, but I will also accept your playoff / Super Bowl predictions if you feel real confident in them. And hey, it's important to note that by making a prediction about what the Dolphins are going to do, you're not actually endorsing that course of action.

Also, a request: If you're going to tell people why their predictions are all wrong, please offer up some bold predictions of your own. Only fair, right?

I'll start with one that I've been thinking about for a while now, and feel pretty strongly about:

The Miami Dolphins are going to be major players in the upcoming Jimmy Graham Free Agent Sweepstakes.

My reasoning? Miami badly needs production from the position, and Mike Tannenbaum loves splash moves. This is seen as a weak draft class for TEs, and Graham is a big name, 'star power' player. And of course, it turns out that Jimmy Graham's agent is.. Jimmy Sexton. You may remember that Jimmy Sexton and Mike Tannenbaum have a very close relationship. Sexton represents Adam Gase, Laremy Tunsil, Ndamukong Suh, etc., and has in fact been snarkily accused of "running the Dolphins" by some media types.

Tell me why I'm an idiot below.

2. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Prediction: They will make a move that will leave fans scratching their heads going "Wha, Wha just ha, ha, happened?"

Trade Viper, gunn34, DKphin and 2 others like this.
  3. ForksPhin

ForksPhin Scout Team

I won’t say you’re wrong about Jimmy Graham. I’ll just say it’ll be great to have a center and TE who don’t practice all season.

My prediction is that we will still be screaming about the offensive line after the early free agency rush ends....meaning we won’t be signing anyone relevant.

4. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

I say we sign some used guards in the off-season thinking they will be successful and pass on an all-pro ready Nelson in the draft and take another DE and make us all pound kaopectate to stop the diarrhea

Trade Viper, DKphin and phinasota like this.
  5. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

I'd rather Sexton run the Dolphins than T-Bomb...

6. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Strongly agree about Graham.

My prediction is that our first round pick will again be someone who has potential but does not make an impact from day one.

J. David Wannyheimer likes this.
  7. Aqua Man

Aqua Man Scout Team

I’ll brake down my predictions by position group:

QB’s- Miami doesn’t make a splash move bringing in a QB via Free Agency or Trade. Instead, Tannehill returns to his starting spot, Miami lets Moore walk, they retain Fales, and then draft a QB fairly early (2nd or 3rd round).

RB’s- Obviously Drake returns with expectations of being “The Guy”, Miami resigns D. Williams, and then drafts a RB in the 3rd or 4th round.

WR’s- Landry is resigned, Miami tries to deal Parker.

TE’s- I don’t know if it will be Jimmy Graham, but Miami will either overpay for a FA Tightend, or give up too much in a trade as they try and find an actual playmaker at the position.

OL- James is cut, Miami pays a little more attention to the OL during Free Agency, but not enough to actually solve the O-Line problem. Middle-to-late draft picks are spent in another futile effort to fix the biggest problem area of our team.

DL- Wake gets his deal restructured, Suh gets restructured, Miami does some minor tinkering in the DL but for the most part stands pat.

LB- Miami drafts Smith from Georgia and rolls with an LB corps featuring McMillian, Alonso, and Smith, with Chase Allen mixed in. Timmons is cut.

CB- I actually like the potential of a young CB group that includes: Howard, Tankersly, and a healthy Tony Lippett. I think the Dolphins do too. They’ll be some minor moves made in FA/Draft to improve the depth, but nothing earth shattering.

Safety- The duo of Jones/McDonald get a full season together and murder 4 WR’s during the course of the season. Nate Allen probably returns for depth purposes, but again, nothing much goes on here except for some depth/special teams moves.

Kicker/Punter- Both return.

biggrouper, D0lphan72, Ray R and 5 others like this.
  8. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I don't know how to feel about that...

9. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I wouldn't invest any serious money in Jimmy Graham at this point. He's clearly a shell of his former self however that former self was a pretty high standard to be judged against. After going through this season with a once talented athletic TE who is also a shell of his former athletic self, I know I'd prefer someone 22 or 23 years old to grow into the offense with.

We will not be a factor in the early portion of free agency this year, which is how it should be. This off season should be about addition by subtraction.

Getting rid of Jermon Bushrod, Julius Thomas, Lawrence Timmons, Jay Cutler, Bobby McCain, Ted Larsen is a good starting point to becoming a more athletically talented roster.

And right there you have your draft needs, OG, TE, OLB, slot CB, backup QB and another OG. Sprinkle in a late round RB.

QB will not be one of our top 3 picks.

Cutthroat, Ray R and fin415 like this.
  10. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

First, I will not be shocked for anything the FO does. I believe is time for us to draft a TE in the first 3 rounds but that's how I've felt for 10 years now. This is indeed a weak class for TE's but we could still get a good one. Being a canes fan I like Graham but he's 31 so here we go again patching things here and there instead of fixing the foundation. I'd not do it

As far as the o-line, Gase is in love with his Center so I guess he'll be back and not even asked to take a pay cut. I'm not happy about that.
    I do believe they'll move on from James and have a competition with Smith, Sterup and Davis. If they feel either of the first two can start at RT then Davis starts at RG

I don't believe we'll draft o-line at all but they might bring a guard in free agency but nobody to get too exited about

Lots of people here like Smith and he's a good LB so would we take him at 11? My prediction is no and here's why. If you draft him at 11 then he MUST be a starter and his spot is the weak........if that's the case Gase has to bench Kiko with his fat contract. I don't care how much he makes, if Smith is better then HE should start but I just don't see Gase doing it. Gase, Grier and t-dumb would be admmiting they were wrong giving kiko that contract. Instead look for the team to target Baker if he's there at 73

So who do I think we take at 11 if we indeed pass on Smith? .......hard to tell at this point because we don't know what they'll do in free agency and that does matters.

I will predict that all 3 are way too proud to say they made mistakes with some of those contracts and will stay away from drafting anyone that would challenge any of the players they gave those bad deal to like for example....I doubt we go Safety or Smith or o-line.......if Landry stays then no WR and no RB with Drake in hand. I doubt they go QB thought I'd draft one if the right one was there......running out of options.......DE they would probably pick but will one worth taking be there? It doesn't matter because I believe they will go for need instead of value

Ozzy rules!!

Trade Viper likes this.
  11. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Well that doesn't leave much does it? Lol. You basically ruled out OL, QB, WR, RB, DE, LB, and S. We are set at DT, and CB is the only position on defense where we have good young players already. TE? No way... there's nobody even remotely worth the pick at #11. I honestly believe if Smith is there when we pick that they will take him. It just makes too much sense and he's Exactly what we need on defense.

12. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I also strongly believe they will go hard for Jimmy Graham. Not that I agree with it (only because of age/injuries), but Jimmy Graham.... Free agency.... Big money.... It just smells "Miami Dolphins"

This is the splash move they love to make.

Trade Viper likes this.
  13. hilslo

hilslo Scout Team

Bobby McCain surprised the hell out of me this year. I had my pitchfork out for him last offseason, but he proved me wrong and played really well this year (at least in my eyes).

14. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

They will not draft a QB in the first three rounds. Tannehill returns as the starter. Moore is dumped for another journeyman that can't play. Dolphin fans continue to crow about having the best backup QB (until he has to play).

They go LB (to start), DE (Wake's successor), WR (to replace Parker) with the picks that matter.

Landry is re-signed. Parker is moved. Not big players in the FA market.

This is the year they try to use some of the talent already on the roster. No more geriatric OL playing out of position.

Opening day offense - Tannehill, Drake, Landry, Stills, new WR, Thomas, Tunsil, Asiata, Pouncey, Larsen, Davis
    Opening day defense - Harris, Suh, Phillips, Branch, New LB, McMillan, Anthony, Howard, Tankersly, Jones, McDonald

Ray R likes this.
  15. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

No way Thomas comes back imo. I'm all aboard the Roquan Smith bandwagon, so if that happens our defense is automatically better but I can't see Anthony starting over Alanso.

16. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I predict we will be sitting with the pick to get a legit first round qb and will pass him over for a player that will amount to average. The qb we missed on will go on to be the second coming of Aaron Rodgers for another team.

17. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

this really pisses me off too. it seems like every damn year we pick a DE or OLB and we don't get eff all out of them. yet, every year ppl here wanna use another first round pick on the same damn positions

levv151 likes this.
  18. Danny

But you can't start both Smith and Kiko. Smith would have to start at weak side. Kiko can't play strong side. If you start both of them we'll get killed in the run game. Both are small and keep on mind that Harris and Wake are not good playing the run either. If you draft Smith then they have to bench Alonso and either start Anthony at strong or somebody else but it won't be Alonso

Ozzy rules!!

19. Danny

I'm just saying that's how I believe they're thinking. I'd take a QB if one worth taking is there. I'd take a WR if Landry leaves. I probably would take a DE depending on who's there. Hard to imagine them going Safety after the deal to Jones and TJM. Imo they messed up some of what they should do because of those bad deals

Ozzy rules!!

20. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

I think that they largely keep the roster intact and just go for a couple of Timmonsesque signings, aging veterans looking for one last payday.

Ray R likes this.
  21. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Active Member

My predictions:

1. Tannehill has his best year ever. Comeback Player-of-the-Year.
    2. Miami goes 9-7 in 2018, for #6th playoff seed.
    3. Jarvis Landry decides he wants the money more than remaining a Phin. Signs with the Bears 4 years/$62M.
    4. We take BPA in Round One: Roquan Smith, or one of the Notre Dame OG/OT lineman.
    5. Round 2: DE Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest.
    6. Draft best available in RD3: Tight End Troy Fumagalli (Wisconsin), OR Running Back Damien Harris, for the Alabama Drake and Harris Show.
    7. Draft a QB in RD4 or later: Luke Falk (Wash State), Logan Woodside (Toledo), Riley Ferguson of Memphis.
    8. Moore, Cutler and Fales are not on 2018 roster.

Ray R likes this.
  22. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Mike swings for Sherman, especially if he missed out on Graham.... just feels like something he would do- oh after the restructure of the Suh contract....lol

23. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0, Peach Bowl Champions Donator

If we're going for a TE I want Trey Burton.

24. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

This team has many needs.

There is not one single player that will put us over the top. If we can find a partner to trade down and get another 2nd or 3rd to improve our odds of finding smart quality players. We don't need that homerun, all or none, player. Having Tannehill back should give us 2-3 wins, and playing what appears to be a softer schedule should give us 1-2 more wins.

If we can fill these holes:

Fix the O-line; couple of mid-tier, healthy guards and one 2-4 round draft.
    Find the seam TE. Graham may be our best option.
    We need a DE or LB with the first choice, and follow that up with the other in the 2nd-4th
    Late round RB or pick up a free agent RB.
    Developmental FS to groom
    Bring in a punter for competition
    Find our backup QB in the draft and roll with him or Fales as the backup.

This is doable.

25. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Well I don't disagree with you, but what they should do and what they actually do can be two completely different things. Kiko couldn't cover a TE in a phone booth yet they had him matched up on them time and and time again.

Danny likes this.
  26. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

I'm right there with you brother...makes me puke...

27. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I want Derwin James. That’s my offseason wishlist.

Then put Reshad at WLB and upgrade 2 positions.

Both phases of defense instantly improve.

HeyHoLet'sGo likes this.
  28. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Some thoughts:

QB: Tannehill, Fales and a rookie (not sure what round we draft him). Note: I wouldn’t be surprised if MM8 is resigned cheap. If that happens, Fales is a training camp casualty to rookie QB.

RB: Drake, D. Williams, bruiser-type rookie that we draft, S. Perry, random FA back.

TE: FA signing - Graham or Ebron; draft BP at the position, AJ Derby. Fasano, Thomas and Gray all gone. Not sure why we didn’t use Gray more.

WR: Landry resigned, Stills, Parker (doesn’t get traded / plays out his rookie contract), Grant, Carroo and either D. Morgan or one of the other PS guys we had this year. With all the needs we have I don’t see moving Parker and then backfilling.

OL: Tunsil, Larsen, Pouncey, Davis, Sterup, Young, Asiata and 2 new faces either via draft or FA. Bye Ju’an James and Bushrod.

K/P - Parkey and a new punter.

DL - Wake (not asked to restructure and not cut w 10.5 sacks), Harris, Fede, Suh, Phillips, Godchaux, Branch (stuck w him), Taylor and anorther rookie from rounds 1-3.

LB - MacMillan, Kiko (stuck w him), Allen, 2 rookies, Anthony, 1 FA. Timmons cut.

DB - R. Jones, McDonald, Allen, Lippett, Howard, Tankersly, McCain (resigned), Aikens, M Thomas, 1 rookie.

Record: 11-5.

29. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I wouldn't mind James as I think he'd be a better cover guy than Jones or Mcdonald, but there is a 0% chance they move Jones to LB.

30. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Also if I had that lineup I'm going with Smith at MLB, Mcmillian at SLB, and Kiko at WLB. Kiko comes off the field in nickel sets... idc how much he's getting paid, he's simply not a 3 down LB(I'd rather him be replaced completely, but it w9nt happen next yearl. I wish I wish we had a real FS who could actually cover because a nickel set of Mcmillian and Smith with Reshad Jones lurking around near the front 7 would be deadly imo. It's going to happen anyway with Jones no matter who we have at LB, but our deep middle will always be a problem until we actually get a safety that can cover. This season was such a disaster not having any Lb's or safeties who were worth a damn in coverage.

31. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

Prediction: while the media and much of FinsNation scream for a QB in first round of draft, the Dolphins brain trust (and I use that term loosely) chooses to go in another direction and not draft a QB

32. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

our defense will still be trash.

33. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

I predict that Miami will have another losing season. I agree with what Philbin said. Ryan Tannehill is not a franchise qb. He wanted Carr but got shutdown. RODGERS
    RYAN
    CARR

another losing season I cannot live with

34. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

31 year old TE who has had injuries? Lol

35. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

My recommendation: Try reading the post before responding.

36. Danny

I just don't know that Smith could hold up playing the run at 6'1 and 225 and then with Kiko next to him we're going to get run over by everyone. I still say if we draft Smith we have to bench kiko but that's just my opinion. Who the hell knows what the team will do

Ozzy rules!!

37. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

Miami will go after Leveon Bell faster than Graham. Gase has already said he prefers a dual back. As for TE, Miami signing 31 year olds are done. Lawrence Timmons will be cut

38. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Tannehill’s beag year ever and Miami only gets to 9-7? Hmmm

39. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Miami hasn’t fixed anything in years. There’s no one unit where you can say Miami is elite or even above average at. Mediocrity oozes throughout the roster. D line supposed to be a strength and it’s been overrated for years.

40. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I hear you, but i still think we'd be better off with that lineup than we were this year. Smith imo will be better than anyone we had on the field in 2017, Hopefully Mcmillian will be an upgrade also. The idea is Kiko = same, Smith and Mcmillian > Timmons and Allen. My fear is that we ignore the problems we had completely and get a thumper to play lb, then we're stuck watching Kiko get burned over and over and over again by TE's for another year... I'm already just about 100% sure they won't do anything at safety either, so the deep middle will continue to get abused. But hell maybe they'll surprise me...