Offical Draft Darren Sproles Bandwagon

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Buddwalk, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Buddwalk

Buddwalk The Jukebox Hero

Im now starting the official draft darren sproles bandwagon...

Darren Sproles
    [​IMG]
    Official Bio
    College: Kansas St.
    Height: 5-5
    Position: Running Back
    Weight: 180
    Class: Senior
    40-Yard: 4.35

SCOUTING REPORT
    Strengths: Great speed...Very productive...Dynamic and very hard to tackle...Runs harder than you would think for a guy his size and shows a lot of toughness...Has great vision...Unbelievable balance...Very shifty...Gets lost because everyone else is so much bigger than he is...Good receiver...Has all the intangibles...Also a return man.

Weaknesses: Vastly undersized...Will never be able to cut it as a blocker...Has been durable during his college career, but they hit harder in the pros...Had a down senior season and was shut down in some games.

Notes: Classic case of a great college player who just doesn't project well to the pro level...Won't go nearly as high as his reputation would lead you to believe...A better player than Quentin Griffin, but probably a backup and change of pace back at best in the NFL.

heres a fact from the combine

*Some bench numbers from today, Carnell Williams put up 19, and Darren Sproles came in with 23.

Carnell outweighs little sproles by over 30 lbs. and is like 6 inches taller!

Heres a video of him so you guys take a look at what he can do http://www.darrensproles43.com/videos/sproles43.wmv

heres his official site so you can see more about him http://www.darrensproles43.com/intro.html

I'm getting a little sick and tired of people saying that small rbs cant be feature runningbacks in the nfl when thats very wrong....barry sanders, emmit smith, charlie garner ,and many many more were all feature backs!

Hes also a great punt returner! This guy would be one of the explosive players nick saban is talking about...He would be our brian westbrook!

Jump On!

2. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

He had a down year in a year many thought he'd be in New York for the Heisman. He's good for a Travis Minor type role but not every down.

He's always hurt & isn't a great "Running" back. One of the main reasons they lost the Super Bowl.

3. burton87

burton87 Favorite Dolphin = Bill Gramatica

Ha, with our Oline he'll be another Travis Minor....

If we can get him late 2nd day I'm all for it.

4. burton87

burton87 Favorite Dolphin = Bill Gramatica

Ha, Thanks becasue shorter people can bench more...

It's alot harder for the lengther to rep alot of weight.

5. Buddwalk

he did have a down senior year but come on brian westbrook was very unnoticed at villanova his whole career....and sproles actually is noticed hes proved to people time and time again how good he is...you must see it

6. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

if we knew we could rely on gordon to carry most of the load id love to have darren as a change of pace back, but with the unknown about gordon staying healthy we need to draft a back who can carry the load if needed

7. _dan24

_dan24 wha?

2 things...

1. WOW 5'5"!? I thought he was atleast 5'8"

2. He has short arms... I know its taking away from him... but it's true...

8. fishypete

fishypete FinHeaven Elite

Hey I like the kid...think what the Dolphins can do with the savings from just buying the uniforms for him.

9. Noodle Arm

Noodle Arm FinHeaven VIP

They're having a sale of Dolphin jersey's over at Kids R' Us

10. Buddwalk

haha nice man! I just watched a couple interviews on him...down to earth kid who just loves football, hes had games in college where hes taken over 30+ carries in the game so he can carry the load...believe me hes just as hard to take down as a carnell williams or a cedric benson is...its just at 5''5 and 180 lbs. its turning lots of people down. He showed at the senior bowl how good he can be against the top seniors and ran up and down the field on them with ease! Also i heard that in his junior year he torched the #1 defense in the country Oklahoma for 335 total yards of offense

11. lilcubanphinfan

lilcubanphinfan Batavia Bulldogs

he came in the combine at 5' 6

12. Cochise

Cochise Member

As someone who lives in the area and watches the Big 12.. I don't think he will ever be an every-down back.

He reminds me of Dante Hall, if any of you remember, he was a running back at Texas A&M and we drafted him as such. The general feeling before he broke out as a kick returner was that he was pretty mucha bust, though.

I can see Sproles as an explosive returner and someone who could have a role in an NFL offense, but... the guy is a midget.

13. Buddwalk

a midget who can flat out run! hes also very hard to bring down once he gets rolling

14. DonShula84

DonShula84 Sporty Don

This guy definitely wouldnt solve our problem at RB. A team that already has there featured back and is looking for a change of pace guy or a 3rd down back should take a chance on him, but not us. If you think this guy can carry the ball 30X's a game if need be you are mistaken imo.

15. Cochise

Cochise Member

Hey, I hope he has success in the NFL. I'm rooting for him. But, when you think about the NFL, he's going to run against 11 guys who were in the upper echelon of the people he would have faced in college.

I can see him being a great return man, someone you put in to catch the ball or move in motion out to the slot to catch passes, that kind of thing. But, 20 carries a game in the NFL?

He'll come in the middle rounds probably, someone will pick him and he'll get his chance. He does seem like a down to earth kid who feeds off people doubting him.

16. Buddwalk

you guys say he cant take the carries obviously you havnt watched any of the video clips...take a look and see for your self the guys a beast

17. ns_dolfan

ns_dolfan Scout Team

was this thread created to get a laugh???

18. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

........... hey as long as he doesn't steal too many carries from Vernand Morency, I'm ok with it. Hahah

19. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

The kid has a heart and has been told throughout his career that he is too small, and guess what?? he has made believers out of everyone. I payed close attention to him in the senior bowl and IMO he ran better than any back out there. So I say: Why not give this guy a chance? True, his senior season his production was down but that was because his suporting cast was inferior to previous years and oposing DC's were game planning to stop him. If the Dolphins go with a QB with their 1sr rd pick I say why not Sproles in the later rounds?

20. pigskinguy

pigskinguy FinHeaven VIP

I think you are going to be on this bandwagon all by yourself. With all the quality backs in the draft, why on God's Green Earth would you want to draft 5'5 175 pound guy who will NEVER be more than a 3rd down/change of pace guy, AT BEST. It just doesn't make sense.

21. inFINSible

inFINSible Don't believe everything you think.

Didn't we have Darren Sproles in camp last year?? Except he was from Iowa last year, wasn't he?

22. Boston_Dolphins

Boston_Dolphins Member

He looks real good in that video. Probably would make a good change of pace back. But that is what they said about John Avery.

23. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Nice addition if the fins can get him in the 3rd round or later.

24. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=66936

I'm onboard!!

I think it's funny the comparison's which people are making......Travis Minor, Fred Russell.....none of these player's were as dangerous in college as Sproles.

The only fair comparison that I can come up with is Dante Hall.....he has that type of ability..........and ask yourself: If the Chiefs had to make that pick again, would they?? Hell yeah they would........and all the teams who passed on him would be looking to get him to. HE IS A PLAYMAKER! What was it that Saban said he wanted again??

Is he an every-down NFL back? Of course not. But his ability as a returner and instant spark on offense is more than worth a high fourth round pick. If he is there for our first pick on day 2 then we should take him.

25. ItalianDolFan

ItalianDolFan Banned Hammered

Darren Sproles is amazing. Im joining the bandwagon. I know for sure Miami wont sign him, at least early. But i saw the video and he is amazing! He is only 5'5, and so am i, lol.....i used to be a runningback too but im white...and ive never seen a white guy run well....well except for Luke Staley of BYU. But id love to see Darren Sproles be taken soon. If Miami drafts Alex Smith, by the time the 3rd round comes around, i think Darren will still be available, then Miami can make a shot.

And no, Travis Minor isnt like Darren Sproles. Travis is much taller too

26. phinfan13/34

phinfan13/34 2nd base going on 3rd

God it feels good to have so many options!! I'm diggin this guy right now, great highlight reel!

27. inFINSible

inFINSible Don't believe everything you think.

Since I made the Russell comparison I'd like to address this post.

I agree that there's an outside chance (waaaay outside, IMO) that this little guy could transfer his skills to the pros but, that's left for team's with more draft picks to find out.

Teams like us, with some holes to fill and few draft picks to fill them, have to be more responsible with their draft picks. That means we don't have the luxury of taking a shot at Sproles, not when we already have outstanding young talent at the position (PR/KR, you gotta admit he aint going to make it as a back) already.

It's too bad, and maybe if we could pick up a few more draft picks, it may become more feasible but, right now, for every one Darren Sproles that makes it, there are a hundred you never hear about again, and that's too heavy on the risk side of the scale.

28. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

He's WAY TOO TINY.

29. StickFigure

StickFigure The One The Only

Sproles is the Man

As a KState alum, I watched this kid for 4 years. He is spectacular. He IS an every down back. He will get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round and in a year he will be starting. He is very explosive and very strong, as he proved in the combine. We would be damn lucky to have him in a Fin uniform. The kid has been proving people wrong his entire career and will do the same in the NFL. I hope we get him.

30. Anthony3454

Anthony3454 Seasoned Veteran

Say no to Sproles. This reminds me of when we drafted Travis Minor. Wanny took him because he wanted a complement to Lamar Smith. Smith played horrible that year and we did have another back who could carry the load. Minor was to small to ever be a feature back. A few picks after we took Minor, the Bengals were much smarter and took a bigger back named Rudi Johnson. If we draft a RB make sure he is big enough to potentially be a feature back.

31. kbeath

kbeath Come on fellas in 07

I Am On The Wagon Baby!

People will be eating crow. I like stickfig. think this guy can be an everydown back. Why is everyone saying "too small" :confused: Barry was like 5'6" come on. It is an advantage he can find creases and be gone. No one must have watched him because he is solid. "He'll take a beating":confused: LISTEN CLOSELY! SMALLER BACKS TAKE LESS HITS AND STAY HEALTHIER!!!!! If you think i am lying look it up. Big backs take a damn beating while little backs arent as big a target. Sproles if given a shot will be dynamic and I will say it... He could very well be an EVERY DOWN BACK!!!!:D

32. DonShula84

DonShula84 Sporty Don

Sanders was 5-8 200 pounds Sproles is 5-6 180. The guy is just to small, I cant believe anyone jumped on this bandwagon. You'd rather have Sproles over Brown, Benson, Caddy, Arrington, Morency, Harris, Fason, Shelton or Barber just to name a few?

33. kbeath

kbeath Come on fellas in 07

It isnt that i dont want the others it is that I want Mike Williams and we dont have another pick til the third. Be honest Shula84 if Sproles was 5'8" 200 you would still say he was too small so why did you bother putting that on there. Just admit you dont know if he is too small. And what the hell is "too small?" Do you mean hell get injured or cant break a tackle or what? It shows ignorance when someone writes "too small" with no other reason!

34. dolfanrodney

dolfanrodney Finhead4life

Too friggen small. He will get killed in the NFL, especially behind our line if it is anything like last year.

35. FireWrongstedt

FireWrongstedt Banned Hammered

Why don't we just go re-sign Fred Russel too? Yeah, let's draft 4'4" Darren Sproles because he's fast. He'll be MUCH better than Benson or Brown, and be able to take the pounding. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Where do you guys get these ideas from?

36. Caddy24

Caddy24 What can Brown do For You?

Big running backs need a offensive line to open up the holes, small running backs need just little wedges and get bust through. Drafting a Big running back like Ronnie Brown is not smart, yeah maybe he can shed a tackle but he will not be able to break 2 or three. our offensive line is built for a playmaker, seeming they cant open a hole we would need sproles to create holes i think he would be a perfect fit with our line.

37. FireWrongstedt

FireWrongstedt Banned Hammered

:eek:

um....

:eek:

38. Noodle Arm

Noodle Arm FinHeaven VIP

I'd love to see Sproles make a block when Dwight Freeney is barreling after Feeley...that would be fun.

39. saves

saves FinHeaven VIP

I don't see how you can compare his size to Sanders or Smith. I mean, they were small in comparison to other, but 5'6 and not close to 200. I dunno.