**Official 2013 Draft Prospect Discussion Thread** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official 2013 Draft Prospect Discussion Thread**

OK how about the topic I have asked about for the last three years:

Safety?

I see Walters top five consist of Tony Jefferson, Tyrann Mathieu, T.J McDonald, Eric Reid and Matt Elam.

Is it me or does this class seem thin at Safety like last years class? I'd be nice if Miami realized what a pro bowl safety would do for this D.

I don't know if it's thin or what. I like Matt Elam a bunch. I think he'll surprise people with interceptions when he works on his hands a little better. He's got undisciplined hands and that gets him penalties as well as dropped interceptions, but there's an instinctive ball hawk hiding in him. I don't think there's any way to say T.J. McDonald is a BAD prospect, he's sudden and explosive, but you do need to see more from him. I like Kenny Vaccaro. I think Tyrann Mathieu probably does move to safety at the next level. Not all these guys will come out but that's not a bad start to the position.

Watched a lot of Werner last year and definitely like the guy. I'd be just fine with him. Also like Amerson a lot out of NC State (especially if they let Smith walk, and probably even if they don't). Do like a couple of the hyped up receivers like Keenan Allen. I like Marcus Lattimore too (if he bounces back from his injury), but probably wouldn't draft him unless the Dolphins were picking in the late teens - early twenties.

If you want the underrated guys then among my favorite seniors would be:

QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah (really I just have a thirst to see more of him)
RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas
WR Aaron Mellette, Elon
DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
DE Malliciah Goodman, Clemson
DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State
DT Cory Grissom, South Florida
LB Shayne Skov, Stanford
LB A.J. Klein, Iowa State
LB Jake Knott, Iowa State
LB Sam Barrington, South Florida
LB Kenny Tate, Maryland
CB Kayvon Webster, South Florida
CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois
SS Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse
FS Vaughn Telemaque, Miami (FL)

Kind of a sparing list at the moment, to tell you the truth.

I don't know if it's thin or what. I like Matt Elam a bunch. I think he'll surprise people with interceptions when he works on his hands a little better. He's got undisciplined hands and that gets him penalties as well as dropped interceptions, but there's an instinctive ball hawk hiding in him. I don't think there's any way to say T.J. McDonald is a BAD prospect, he's sudden and explosive, but you do need to see more from him. I like Kenny Vaccaro. I think Tyrann Mathieu probably does move to safety at the next level. Not all these guys will come out but that's not a bad start to the position.

When I looked at the list over at Walter the size concerned me with Tony Jefferson, Tyrann Mathieu and Matt Elam. Even if they bulk up (which they will) you cannot add height.

I got to watch a bit of McDonald last season and he impressed but my college football watching time was hammered by travel overseas. I haven't watch nearly the amount I would like. I hope it changes this season and as of now only my September looks bad. That being said he still needs a solid second season to back up last years performance in order to stay ahead of the LSU and Bama guys, you know Reid and Lester are going to get big time opportunities playing for those D's.

I'd say wide receiver, pass rusher and safety are the biggest needs and this is shaping up to be a nice draft for those positions. I'm really high on Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter at wide receiver. What are some of the better prospects there that make it to round 2? There seems to be a lot of pass rushers and I'll have to see more of these guys live to form opinions. I love the two linebackers on Stanford Chase Thomas and Shayne Skov. I think Miami needs to rebuild it's linebacking core as Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett and Cam Wake are all 30+. Jackson Jeffcoat is a pass rusher I like, but I need to see all the top rated guys. I'm excited to see Jonathan Banks at corner and Eric Reid at safety - two guys that are talked about as top 10 type prospects. I expect Miami to be picking top 10 this year and hopefully taking off in 2013 or 2014.

The underclassman declaring are always the aspect that makes or breaks the strength of a particular draft. This particular group of underclassman safeties will make for an exceptionally strong safety class if the top 3 or 4 declare eligible. Reid, Whitley, Jefferson, and Elam were all outstanding as sophomores. They're on an entirely different level physically than you typically see out of sophomore safeties... specifically Nickoe Whitley.

Reid and Whitley are both explosive tacklers, but also fundamentally sound tacklers when they need to be. As I mentioned in my underclassman thread a few months ago when I started it, I don't think I've ever seen a more violent hitter than Nickoe Whitley at safety.... and I watched Kenny Easley and Ronnie Lott in college. Whitley's ability to explode into contact with precision exceeds anything I've seen. However, what makes Whitley and Reid both special young DB's is their combination of ball skills and range to compliment their ability to be explosive hitters. Their versatility to play either safety spot sets 'em apart.

Jefferson and Elam are more squatty safeties who overcome their lack of prototypical height for the position with instincts and football IQ. They both take proper angles to the ball and read their run/pass keys correctly instantly. Advanced fundamentally in their tackling to be so young.

Any one of these safeties declaring early is going to add tremendous talent and skill to the safety class in addition to their upside to keep getting even better. They'll help the Senior crop that's also strong at the top with Robert Lester. There's some kids mixed in with that Senior group that I feel like are a little overrated (T.J. McDonald) but it's offset by underrated prospects like Dexter McCoil.

It sets up to be a terrific draft for safeties, very strong. Again, the key though is the underclassman.

Very possible that there could be two Florida State defensive ends in 2013 that I end up liking more than Brandon Jenkins. It's not that Jenkins is a bad player, I just question his ability to finish plays at the next level.

Bjoern Werner is top dog there, followed by Timmy Jernigan who won't even be eligible next year, but after that I do like Cornellius Carradine. So raw, not doing the right things at all, inconsistent off the snap, gets off balance, but he looks straight from central casting for a DE and he actually moves like one, more pure athleticism and quick twitch than Bjoern Werner.

Tim Jernigan is going to be a 1st round pick in about 3 years although I think he'll be a 3-technique. Saban recruited him hard but we couldn't close it out as he chose to stay in his home state. He reminds me of Bryant Young when he came out of Notre Dame.

I tried to tell you Carradine might be the best DE Florida St. has in terms of upside. He'd be starting for Ohio St. right now had he been academically eligible. The sack he had against Morgan Moses vs. Virginia was probably the best example of what he looks like when he puts it all together. I don't think there's a defensive line coach in the league that wouldn't be drooling to work with what Carradine brings naturally.

I believe you did mention Carradine being better than Bjoern Werner before. I had never taken a look at him. I can see why you like him. But nonetheless I can't rate Carradine above Werner. Strictly speaking, Jarvis Moss has more quick twitch and athleticism than J.J. Watt, and he also looks like he's straight out of central DE casting. But you'd take J.J. Watt any day of the week, twice on Sundays. I'm pretty comfortable rating Werner ahead of Carradine...by a good bit of distance.

Yes Werner is certainly better than Carradine right now, that's why Jimbo starts him and has Carradine back up at both ends. My point is that Carradine might be the best NFL prospect of the 3 in terms of raw ability and upside. He has some natural ability that the other two just don't have.

Carradine can be as good as any of 'em after receiving the coaching was my point. It was simply an observation I had while watching FSU rotate defensive lineman.

Best game I saw Carradine put together was Florida...really, really impressive game for him. Either way, I really think you were right as far as putting Cornellius Carradine above Brandon Jenkins.

[video=youtube;09U3Mn3P6eU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=09U3Mn3P6eU[/video]

Yes i have a big man crush on the boy, hope we get a chance to pick him in 2013.......i know he's a big hitter but what else have you boy's got for me.

For a long time I've liked Shayne Skov above Te'o. This may be assuming a lot with respect to Skov's injury and how well he's coming back from it, but I still do.

For a long time I've liked Shayne Skov above Te'o. This may be assuming a lot with respect to Skov's injury and how well he's coming back from it, but I still do.

I had a look at some highlights of Skov, and we should take both.................:up:

Back
Top Bottom