Official 76ers Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Clipse, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Figure I'd start a thread to discuss Philly.

Just got done watching the Toronto-Philly game. We sure can rebound, and Dalembert is a monster on the boards, blocked Bosh a few times as well. Hopefully we will just stop shooting 3's. 5-20 on 3 pointers, we better just stick to what we do best, driving and scoring in the paint. Both Iggy and Brand has mediocre games, so hopefully it was just 1st game jitters. Miller missed a few easy drive in layups as well. But we just had a horrible time shooting the ball. 29-84 shooting, thats 34.5%. No way we shoot that bad again this season, that was just horrible. We outrebounded 56-33 with 23 Offensive rebounds, so thats a good sign. Sammy had 17 and Brand had 13 rebounds. Also, not only do we need to stop shooting 3's, we need to stop letting other teams shoot them too. Raptors went 10-16 shooting 3's for 62.5%. I literally cringed everytime a Raptor shot a 3. Also, passing needs improvement, we only had 15 assists to Raptors 24 assists, and the big stat, 18 turnovers, 18! Raptors had only 10. For some reason, Philly just loved going inside, spinning and throwing an off the wall pass :shakeno:.

We have another homegame on Friday against the Knicks at 7:00, hopefully we will be able to redeem ourselves.

2. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame

Elton Brand should be a good fit for you guys...alot better than he was with the Clippers.

3. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I sure hope so. He didn't look so good in the home opener. But then again, the whole team had a poor shooting performance.

4. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

I don't get that starting lineup. Brand...great post player. Iggy....can't shoot. Miller...can't shoot. Dalembert...lucky to make a shot more than 2 ft from the basket. How can a post player help you if he doesn't have anyone around him that is a threat to hit the open jumper?

5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Iggy can hit mid range jumpers pretty well. Lou Williams who will be getting alot of playing time this year is a very good shooter. Miller can hit mid range jumpers when he wants to. Then there's Kareem Rush and Donyell Marshall, both very dangerous outside scorers. Only problem this team has is 3 point shooting, that certainly is our weak spot. With that being said, 3 pointers shouldn't be a part of our game plan. Our strengths consist of driving to the basket and working the post. Iggy, Miller, Young, and Lou Williams thrive off driving hard to the basket.

6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Now that's the kind of game I like to see. 29 point win over the Knicks. 24 point, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks for Elton Brand, good to see that. 20 Points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds for Miller. Outrebounded the Knicks by 18. 33 points off the bench between Green and Lou Williams. All this despite Iggy only getting 7 points. 0 lead changes, we took this game and kept it which is good. The best stat of the night? 2-5 3 pointers. I knew if we stopped shootign 3's we would win, we won with fast breaks and inside scoring, which is what we do best.

7. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

wow, up by 23 and we lose. Miller is the worst shooter in the league, no doubt. Time to start Lou Williams.

8. SpaceMountain16

SpaceMountain16 Disgruntled Donator

Eh, Andre Miller is better than Lou Williams

Last night was disappointing, but we'll be fine. This team still needs more time playing together, Brand doesn't have that "go to guy" feel yet. When he does, look out.

9. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I don't know. Andre Miller is a very underrated PG. Only problem is his jumper isn't scaring anybody.

10. Ferretsquig

Those are the strengths....only problem is that the two cannot coexist. What good are a bunch of guys who thrive off driving hard to the basket when you throw it in to Brand? What good is Brand if you can't space the floor around him?

11. d-day

d-day Administrator Administrator Finheaven VIP

Can't comment on the game... at work but the game was tivo'ed for my viewing pleasures tomorrow. For now this'll have to do... :d-day:

76ers 83, Heat 106

[​IMG]

12. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

I've never seen such ball insecurity ever. But judging by the way this season has gone, we will blow out the Magic tomorrow night, we're as inconsistent as well, umm, my beloved Dolphins :boohoo: Iguodala has been missing all year long. And I think it is now safe to say, Thaddeous Young is the best player on the team. Only his 2nd year and he's already a beast. And he had developed one hell of a jumper during the offseason. Iguodala could be gone if he keeps up his crazy, horrible, careless play any longer. We would be alot better with Lou Williams out there. Then we could spread it out a bit with Lou and Young both having a nice jumper. Miller is just not starting material anymore, I've never seen a point guard with as bad a jumper as Miller.

I do think we will get our act together eventually though, and will make the playoffs. I cannot believe I was buying into the hype of Philly being the 3rd best team in the East behind Boston and Cleveland. Top 8 no doubt we have the talent, but too inconsistent for top 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  13. SpaceMountain16

Andre Miller had another horrific game last night, i really don't know what is going on with him. I never really considered him to be such a scoring threat, and why he's taking 24 shots a game like last night is completely beyond me. But he's just not playing well in any aspect, he's turning the ball over (so is the rest of the team) and it's pretty clear the Sixers march to the beat of their PG. He's going to have to get right for this team to be a contender.

And he will.....

14. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I sure hope so. Alot of his shots are because of 1 thing. As soon as Brand gets the ball, they pull their PG to double team him, so then Brand dishes it out to Miller for the wide open jumper, which he cannot hit at all. He's a very good passer and drives to the basket very well, but his jumper is nothing to write home about. Sweet Lou can hit those open jumpers all day though . I don't know, I kind of find it a coincidence that when Miller is in the game, we do badly, but as soon as he is replaced, we start to pick it up. And I noticed another thing from last night's game, we play outstanding with a small lineup. We were doing very good last night with 1 big in, and then Lou, Iggy, Rush, and Young on the floor. I liked what I seen out of Royal Ivey as well, very good defender.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  15. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Looks like this team is finally coming together. Brand is still a beast. I was a little worried when we 1st got him, I was hoping it wouldn't turn into the Chris Webber nightmare, thank god it hasn't. Dalembert is owning the post. Thaddeus Young is a beast. He is just too good. Looks to be taking over Iggy's spot as the star on this team and becoming my favorite player. Iguodala has finally shown up. 3 double-doubles in the last 4 games. Andre Miller has finally started hitting those mid range jumpers. Willie Green will be in contention for the 6th man award this year. This guy is a stud off the bench. God I'm so happy to see Philly start playing like the team I thought they would be.

16. SpaceMountain16

We fired Mo Cheeks today, thank god.

50 wins here we come!

17. Ferretsquig

A GM constructs a fatally flawed team.....the team doesn't win. Who's to blame? The coach of course.

18. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

Yeah, Mo was the scapegoat, but something clearly had to be done and therefore I don't disagree with the move. Now Stefanski has no excuses. He brought Brand in and blew off the OBVIOUS NEED FOR A SHOOTER. This guy has put together a team where nobody can shoot the ball from the outside.

This isn't the only move the Sixers need to make if they want to contend this year. Maybe they could trade some of their young talent for a shooter like Redd.

As for Brand, the guy simply isn't healthy and the move looks terrible, ala Grant Hill and Orlando. Brand isn't himself physically and now he is losing confidence.

All us Sixer fans are disappointed and to me this year is basically done. We may eke into the playoffs, but then we'll get waxed. Hopefully next year Brand will be healthy and we'll have a guy who can actually shoot the ball from twenty feet out.

19. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sad to see Cheeks go but it needed to happen. Too much talent on this team to be playing this poorly. But as stated above, Sixers will not contend until somebody can hit some jump shots. Brand has been playing pretty good for the chances he's gotten. Kind of hard to do too much when Brand gets double teamed everytime he touches the ball due the inability to shoot the ball. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Lou Williams needs to start over Miller. Iggy needs to stay, and hopefully work on that jumper real hard in the offseason, if not, trade him for a dangerous shooter. Thad Young is the best player on the team imo. Speights is a beast and needs more Playing Time. Dalembert needs to be dealt somewhere else. I actually think theres still a little hope for this team this season. If not, well then at least we know what our problem is, we can't shoot the ball for **** outside of 10 feet.

20. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Wow. Not a bad debut for the new coach. Brand drops 27 points. Dalembert with 17 rebounds. Miller dishes 12 assists. Hopefully we can play complete games like this consistently. Not to mention Dalembert and Tony DiLeo have a very good relationship. I'm glad to hear this because Sammy has the potential to be one of the best Centers in the NBA and he's certainly one of my favorite players on the team.

21. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

i feel bad for mo he is a class guy but this team was horrible and the chemistry wasnt there, sorry mo i had heard flip saunders was intersted in job last week ...yuck

22. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

why doesnt rush play more he cna shot...sam does need to go u r right

23. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Hopefully he will get more playing time now. He is easily the best outside shooter on the the team. As for Dalembert, I might of over reacted on him. Dalembert has loads of talent, Cheeks wasn't able to bring it out of him, and I think DiLeo will. DiLeo and Sammy have a great relationship. Funny how in Tony's 1st game as coach, Sammy has a great game with 17 boards. Hopefully this coaching change is what will bring out Sam's full potential.

24. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Class act and one of the Sixers all time greats on the defensive side of the ball. Too bad it didnt work out though. He will make a great defensive assistant coach somewhere though.

25. SpaceMountain16

So you folks calling Mo Cheeks the scapegoat for Stefanski's mistakes actually think Mo Cheeks is a good coach? That's just silly.

I personally think Stefanski has done a solid job so far with this team. I know the team can't shoot, not from the perimeter, not even from the foul line. But at the same time they haven't a dominant low post player in years, and Elton Brand IS that when he's healthy. Unfortunately the Sixers are still tied up with Samuel Dalembert, who is absolutely horrible and immovable and will be making Sixer fans miserable for years to come. You can thank Billy King for that one.

This team needs to get back to it's strength, playing the fast break. Apparently Tony DiLeo knows how to emphasize that.

26. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I'm on the fence with Dalembert. Speights looks like the real deal, but Dalembert is an amzing rebounder/shotblocker. Hopefully DiLeo can bring out that full potential of him.

27. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

No. What is silly is you thinking Stefanski has done a good job despite no proof. What has he done? These are Billy King's players by and large.

What Stefanski has done is pay $80 million to Iggy, a guy who has proved nothing, and given $80 million to Brand who so far hasn't come close to living up to expectations, and I'm hoping the guy isn't damaged goods. He also brought in Kareem Rush and Ivey, guys who have sucked everywhere they have been and who are continuing to suck here. Oh, and his move to bring in Ratliff? Earth shattering.

The biggest thing this team needed was a shooter. Every Sixer fan knew that, and yet he basically ignored it.

When you dole out $160 million plus dollars as a GM, it would be nice to be at least close to .500.

So tell me, what has Stefanski done to show you he is doing a "solid job"?

28. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Brand will not be Chris Webber V2. I will guarantee that. Brand has looked really good at times this year. However I have to agree, 80 Million to Iggy is way too much for a guy who cant shoot the ball consistently. Can Iggy improve his shooting? Of course he can. Iggy has showed he can be a very good shooter, but he doesnt do it consistently. If he gets that jumper down, then I will thank Stefanski for it. As for Brand, I like him, and he will be great for us, but we should've went with Josh Smith. He fits this team much better.

29. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

to me, it seemed like the 6ers tried to be a half court team, but they don't have the pieces for that.

Sucks for Cheeks as I like the guy, he's just really bad at X's and O's. Great motivator, but horrible at plays. IMO he'd be best served as a college HC

30. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

the thing this team needs to do is get into the lottery again and hope for a good frontcourt player or great shooting guard....lou williams needs to start at point next yr. miller is a free agent maybe they can get a late 1st rd for him,

31. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Lou should definately start. Miller should be traded some time soon.

Lots of people to look at for the draft. Some of my favorites:

Stephen Curry, Guard, Davidson: Averaging 32 points a game, 7 assists, and 3 steals. I would literally **** myself if we got this kid. One of the best shooters in the draft. Good passer. Plays very good defense, hell, had 9 steals against Guilford, 9!, That's unheard of. At 6'3", he'd make a good Shooting Guard.

A.J. Abrams, Guard, Texas: Averaging 21 PPG, and shooting 47% from beyond the arc. This guy has an amazing jumper. Too bad he's only 5-11 though, so can't play at Shooting Guard.

Darren Collison, Guard, UCLA. Very, very good shooting touch. Averages 15 points a game, 5 assists. Shooting 54% from 3 and 96% on Free Throws. Only 6'0" so he'd have to play Point as well.

Lots of candidates to choose from, but if it's shooters you want, hard to find anybody better than these 3.

Another scenario to think about. Michael Redd isn't happy in Milwaukee. They need a Point and a Center. Perhaps we could work out a trade involving Miller and Dalembert? Very possible, and I'd welcome it with open arms. Redd is one of the best shooters in the NBA hands down.

32. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

A Redd trade would be great, and it makes sense for both teams at this point. As for Lou starting, don't discount Miller.

How about starting them both, with Williams at the 2 spot?

Finally, as for Brand getting hurt, what a total bust this signing looks like. Another Webber for 5 more years. You think it might have been better to sign Josh Smith for less? He would've fit right in with the up tempo style. How would you like to have him and Iggy on the wings during the break. But no, we go for the older, plodding guy who just tore an achilles.

Perhaps Brand can turn it around, if not this franchise is crippled for another half decade.

33. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Yes, we should've got Josh Smith. He fits our team much better. As for Brand, he will not be another Webber. Unfortunately, I don't think he will shine for us until next season. Unfortunatley, he will be out a month with a dislocated shoulder. On a positive note, Speights will get alot more playing time.

34. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

i would love redd, but not sure if they get him...bogut is there and i seriously doubt that they would take sam and his contract perhaps if we toke villanueva and his contract maybe....im no fan of villanueva but if they could land redd it would be a move in the right direction

35. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I would much rather keep Sammy. But to get Redd, they will definately want Sammy and will give us Villanueva. Not a big fan of him either, but you do what you got to do, to get a great shooter like Redd. Villa can shoot fairly well, so I wouldn't mind him as the backup PF over Evans because Evans is quite uselss. Sure he might be "tough", sure he might be a good rebounder. Too bad he couldn't put the ball in the basket if his life depended on it. Not very good on D either.

36. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

im a uconn huskies fan and let me tell u villanueva is a joke. With all his talent he never worked hard at all. His attitude always sucked and palying defense for him is worse then evans, who i agree is a joke. We need players who can rebound and score here, i loved when brand was brought here but in retrospect i wondered how could he fit in a untempo offense like this- 16 and 10 aint cutting it and now he is gone for a month..i know josh smith would of bene matched by the hawks any money his way from the sixers but why spend it this year they could of out it off, for another year like some 2 said earlier chris webber part 2

37. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I agree. Villanueva is a joke. But the way I see it is:

Andre Miller and Dalembert < Michael Redd and Villanueva

Brand will turn out to be a great pickup for us. The time off will give him more rest for his Achilles. Not to mention I put alot of the blame on Maurice Cheeks for not using him correctly. We didn't use many Pick and Pops with Brand, which is one of the things hes best at. I've liked what I have seen from DiLeo so far, so we shall see.

38. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

dileo is not the answer to our problems i hate to say this but i rather end up in the lottery with a top 10 pick then make the playoffs again and be out in the 1st rd...as it stands they would be the 7 or 8 seed, no way they r beating the celtics,magic or cavs...

39. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

DiLeo may not be the answer to our problems, but I certainly like him as an answer to next years head coaching job. He's 3-0 as the coach, and I like what I've seen.

40. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

sure its great to win three in a row, but lets look at who they beat..the wizards twice and the bucks..beat boston twice and the cavs, then we will start talking how great Dileo is...i still say get in the lottery, there will be some good players in this years draft...they would be wise to lose some more games

41. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

3 in a row is impressive no matter who the Sixers beat, considering they can't shoot the ball at all. As for playing to get in the lottery, although that might be in our best interest, I will never want to that. Playing to lose is a joke in any sport imo.

42. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

who said athing about playing to lose, just keep up what they r doing when they play good talent and lose.. lol that simple...

43. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Did I mention Lou Williams is a beast :d-day:. Add Speights and Thad Young to that list. Congrats to Andre Miller on his Triple Double. A true PG, going to miss him being he won't be on this team next year :( Thank god the young talent on this team is amazing.

44. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

i love the 3 u mentioned..those r the future...speights looks to be like a good player...this injury to brand is a blessing in disguise...we need to add a true shooting guard in the draft...sam isnt going anywherre so lets face facts.....shooting is number 1 option...number two would be a center who isnt afraid to rebound eveyr night...sam plays hard but dissapears from night to night...young to me is more suited as a 3...that is why iggy signing didnt make sense...i love him but young cant play the 3, who knows what lays ahead

45. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Agreed. Lou will be starting at PG next year. I would love to have Andre Miller back though. He would be great coming off the bench or for small lineups with him at PG and Lou at SG. Miller is one of my favorite players on the team, he just always brings his all, and is a true PG. Thaddeous Young I don't see starting unless we deal Iggy, which is unlikely. However, I don't mind that at all. Ever since Thad was put on the bench, we have started playing alot better. While Thad was starting, our starters would always work up a nice lead, then the bench would come in and let the opponent right back in the game. But since DiLeo has taken over, our bench has played outstanding ball. What does every great team have? A great bench. Thad could be our Role Player, just like Posey was last year for the Celtics. He could come in at SF and play PF in our small lineups. Speights is just a monster. Dalembert's job is in jeapordy if Speights keeps up the great work. Dalembert is definately trade bait. People seem to be forgetting that theirs another big man on this team with tons of potential, Jason Smith. 7 footer with an all around game. Can rebound, block shots, and hit the mid range jumper. Coaching staff really likes this kid. Looked pretty good in Summer League too. Can't wait for him to recover from his injury so he can get some Playing Time. Last but not least, Royal Ivey I believe is being groomed to be the back up PG judging by the Playing Time he has been getting. He could use some work on his shooting, but this kid plays some great defense.

We have alot of young talent on this team, which is always a great thing. I'm pretty sure some trades involving a true Shooting Guard are being discussed. And it's already a guarantee we look for shooters in Free Agency and a SG in the draft. Future looks bright though.

46. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

I was just looking at a list of 2009 Free Agents to see who I'd like to see on this team :
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

Ben Gordon would be an amazing acquisition. I do think the Bulls resign him though. Bulls have Heinrich and Sefolosha stashed on their bench as well, wouldn't mind giving the Bulls an offer for either one.

Wally Szczerbiak is set to be a free agent. Another one I wouldn't mind.

Gerald Green of the Mavs, he can shoot fairly well, not to mention would work great in our up tempo offense.

Marquis Daniels of the Pacers could be available, as could be Damon Jones from the Bucks.

Rodney Carney is a FA :d-day: Sorry, I was a big Carney fan when he was here :lol:

Keith Bogans and Anthony Parker could both be available. 2 very good shooters right there.

Last but not least... Kyle Korver :wink:

I'd still prefer somekind of trade for Michael Redd. I will gladly take Villanueva and his contract off their hands as well. He has had some very good games this year, and I would love to have him coming off the bench.

Just imagine this lineup.

Starters:
    PG - Lou Williams
    SG - Michael Redd
    SF - Andre Iguodala
    PF - Elton Brand
    C - Mareese Speights

Bench:
    PG - Royal Ivey/FA/Rookie
    SG - Willie Green/Rookie
    SF - Thaddeous Young
    PF - Charlie Villanueva
    C - Jason Smith
    Give or take a few players via Draft, Free Agency, Trade. I would love that lineup.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  47. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

gordon was 1 of my all time favorites at uconn, he is a game changer...i doubt the bulls let him walk..he is usually good for anywhere from 15-22 a night..he can point and the shooting guard spot...as far as wally world, green and every 1 else goes, no thanks..this team spent a lot of money on useless guys during the free agent period and looks where it has gotten us..ivey is a bumb and im not sure why rush doesnt play more...daniels i like but who knows...carney..yikes thought thatw as another terrible pick by king....parker was drafted by us and never given the chance to play, he is a good outside shooter...korver i cant see coming back...i wonder how much $ they will have come the off-season.

48. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Possibly 15 million or so. Andre Miller and his big contract will be gone. Add to that, Theo Ratliff, Donyell Marshall, doubt re resign any of them. Miller maybe, if he's willing to come in as Lou's backup, and for alot cheaper of course. Kareem Rush and Royal Ivey are both Free Agents. Not sure if they'll be resigned or not.

Gordon will get resigned I'm sure, but if he somehow hits Free Agency, there is no way how you can't throw a nice contract at him. Daniels and Parker are my next 2 favorites. I would give anything to have Korver back. Could he come back? You never know. I'd take Wally in a heartbeat as well, if the price is right. Gerald Green will get resigned. Was kidding about Carney though, he's like a poor man's Thad Young, would still take him back though for cheap :beer1:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  49. SpaceMountain16

I could see them trading Miller at mid-season. Where that would leave them in the off-season cap wise is beyond me.

50. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

1 thing about redd is that he is a free agent after the '09 season...r u sure u wanna trade for him...having redd,young,iggy all together..i think more or less speights is more a 4 then a 5 and young is more a 3...unless iggy goes which i doubt...young at 4 and speights at the 5 doesnt make sense and wouldnt work....bigger, physical teams would kill them on the boards....i like redd but i know it wont happen also if it did u need to get redd to agree to a new contract if and when he comes here i dont want some 1 hear for a yera and half thats not wroth it