Official Date For Supplemental Draft, July 13 And Miami Is Intrigued For Ahmad Brooks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Date For Supplemental Draft, July 13 And Miami Is Intrigued For Ahmad Brooks

BLITZKRIEG said:
As much as I'd like to have a player like A. Brooks, I don't want Saban giving up any more picks to do it. He needs to keep his hands out of the cookie jar, and stop using up all of our picks like he's been doing lately....

I have nothing against using "supp picks" on players who are worth adding, but at some point you have to look at the big picture{the real NFL draft}, and realize what's best for the future of the franchise. Taking risks on "Sup players" is fine when they have talent, but waiting it out until the entire crop of players is available to you on draft day, is the best way to get the most out of your pick. There's so much more available to you....

Maybe I'm overreacting some based on this years draft, but I don't want to go into the 2007 draft with no picks again. This year was a waste of time after our first two picks were off the board, and we need a draft where we've got picks in every round, where Saban can really work his magic....

So in my opinion, I say no to using any more picks. We need them, and using them up now only leaves us less to work with come draft day. Keep the picks...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

How dare we use a draft pick to draft a guy :shakeno:

BLITZKRIEG said:
No. The Supplemental Draft is for players who, for whatever reason, were not eligible for the college draft. Therefore, there are usually only a select few who are worth considering. The amount of talent the NFL Draft consists of, in comparance to the Sup Draft, is very large....

The point I'm making is that the NFL draft is the best way to get the most for your pick, basically because there's alot more talent to choose from. It's not ridiculous to keep those picks, and use them wisely on draft day, instead of rolling the dice on one player in the supplemental draft....

Either way it's just my opinion, ridiculous or not....

Thats right and you have all the rights to make your opinions...

But, if we get him, he would be better than Wilkinson, Edwards, Jason Babin or Peter Boulware?

jmorgan6977 said:
How dare we use a draft pick to draft a guy :shakeno:

It's not about using the pick in itself, it's about getting the most value out of that pick. If Brooks is worth the pick, then by all means use it....

Just remember that on draft day, when a "group of more talented players" are sitting right where we would have been drafting, you can't have that pick back...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Doubtfull that SABAN would use a 1st day pick on a supplemental player ... remember, Manny had the same ballywho last year ...

I have no problem offering a 5 for a supp player ... it's a stretch at 4 ...

Manny was well worth the pick last year ...

BLITZKRIEG said:
It's not about using the pick in itself, it's about getting the most value out of that pick. If Brooks is worth the pick, then by all means use it....

Just remember that on draft day, when a "group of more talented players" are sitting right where we would have been drafting, you can't have that pick back...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I think the trap you are falling into my friend is that you are attempting to evaluate a single talent against a whole pool of talent, and are using the wrong pool. By this I mean; if you were to look at Ahmad by NFL standards and rate him as an "NFL calibre LB" it should then be considered a no-brainer in giving up a 3rd round pick for this type of player. The trap of considering the rest of the pool as your measuring stick is that the whole pool can be lacking as NFL caliber. In which case he may be the best LB available per that years draft, but he's being measured against inferior players by NFL standards.
I think, you have to keep a consistent rating of players on a stand-alone basis year-to-year by NFL standards; first. As Saban would say: "It's relative to the NFL's overall talent by which we evaluate players coming out regardless of which draft they come out in" (that's my rendition of Saban -using the word "relative"):wink: And then apply the best talent available philosophy or best at his position philosophy per pool of players available from there.

It's not so much an either/or choice; as it is a prioritization thing.

To prove the point all one has to do is recall the number of times you've heard commentators mention that while a current player in the conventional draft is projected as a first round pick - in a previous draft he would have been a later round pick. It's relative to the talent around him at the time he comes out. And since he's being considered to being brought into the NFL, the prioritization should be how he compares to NFL talent at his position and what one team can reasonably expect to pay for such talent.

My final assessment: Ahmad is worthy of a 3rd round pick by NFL standards regardless of the means of entry.

As long as you get a quality player with your pick it doesnt matter whether its in the Sup. Draft, The Real Draft or a Trade

Brooks is a top 10 talent and you can get him with a 3, you DO IT

Based on pure talent and potentail Ahmad Brooks is worth consideration. For a 4th or 5th yes. A 3rd is stretching. How does he compare to others who are considered 'cant misses'? How can he be compared to others like say a Ray Lewis or Boulware when he hasn't even played a down yet in the NFL?

Not being argumentive but supp draft picks are like all picks when it is all boiled down; cost / value vs. risk / rewards. Other questions are; does the guy have a history of bouncing back from injuries? Is he injury prone or are we talking about an isolated event? Does the coaching staff think he can be 'coached up' to meet his potential? What are his relative strengths vs. weaknesses graded out in comparison to players who would be targeted in next year's regular draft?

All of these need to be considered regardless of who is being targeted. Gut instinct points toward taking a chance but not giving up anything higher than 4th round.

best news I've heard in over 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

postermaster said:
Dolphins eye Virginia LB
May 28
Miami Herald (registration required): "Last June, we told you in this space that Miami had interest in taking Manny Wright in the NFL supplemental draft. This year, we hear the Dolphins are intrigued by Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who is expected to be available in the July 13 draft. "

http://prosportsdaily.com/nfl/dolphins/

Complete Article: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14686322.htm

ey bro i have been having problems with Prosportsdaily all week long. have you? it just doesnt load. the site says the name but the entier page is blank.

I see both points of view here and usually I would agree 100% with blitz, however two things are in play here where I say go for it!

1 LB is a need, I know Saban has added 2 FA pick ups and many feel David Bowens can be the other rush backer and maybe so.
However if the reports are correct about Brooks talent then you have to IMO try and add him to your roster(now I freely admitt I am not familiar with Brooks so I have no personal feel for his talent)
2 value I think that if you consider you can get a player in the Supp. Draft with a lower rnd pick then he would go in the spring Draft you are ahead of the game.

I'll admit I don't know much about A. Brooks, but he sounds like a decent player when he's healthy. I'm not sure if he's worth using a 3rd round pick on, but if we could get him for a 4th or 5th, why not??....

I'm not trying to cause a debate here, but you have to look at both sides of the coin. If we're going to use a pick for Brooks, that's one less pick we have come draft day, I can only hope that Brooks is all he's being hyped up to be, and worth the gamble in the end....

We'll see where this goes, but seeing how much respect Brooks is being given in some of these articles, I'm sure Miami wont be the only team bidding for his services come the sup-draft. That may drive up the offer as well....

PHINZ RULE!!!

BLITZKRIEG said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that using a 3rd round pick on a guy with a 1st round grade is getting the most value out of the pick.

Unless you think he wouldn't have carried better than a 3rd round grade had he kept his nose clean and entered the draft. That's definitely debatable given his conditioning and record.

As long as we have our 1st & 2nd round pick next year, then I'm good with it.

Are you guys trying to tell me that we have a shot at getting better potential at the LB spot in the 3rd or 4th round next year? Sorry, but not a chance in hell. If we've got a shot at Ahmad Brooks and we'd still have our top 2 picks, then you take it.

How does the supplemental draft go anyways? How do you know where you're picking?

Back
Top Bottom