Official Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by fishfanmiami, Feb 22, 2015.

1. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

[​IMG]

Post your best fishing pictures but the catch is there has to be a good story to go with it'

I'll start

[​IMG]

Fishing in a Dolphin Rodeo contest off of Fort Lauderdale we were not having much luck. The winds were up and there was no weed lines to be found. The contest was nearing an end and the biggest Dolphin we had caught the day before in the two day event was only 20 lb's so things were looking bleak. We were out about 10 miles in the shipping channels when we came across a bag of garbage probably thrown over board by a passing freighter. Noticing lots of small fish gathering under it we put out our lines. i lowered the down rigger with a google eye sporting a red skirt. The fish above was soon on and i hauled it in. We hurried back to the weight in at Miami Beach marina and just got there in time.
    Usually a 43 lb Dolphin would not be in the top grouping but because of the poor weather I did manage 3rd place :brewskis:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

Nice fish! I haven't been blue water fishing in about 10 years but did catch about a 20 lb black tuna last time I was out with my brother. We were trolling ballyhoo out Jupiter inlet. Got a few small kingfish that day as well on live greenies.

My brother just got a 32' SeaVee so I need to head back down and fish with him. He is always asking me to come down and I'm always working.

3. fishfanmiami

That's what I'm talkin about. Bet that Tuna ran around the boat three or four times before you got him in. Even the one's half that size fight like hell.
    It's been a while for me as well. I fished Savannah last year which is 3 hours away but didn't have much luck. There is a lady Captain there that I spoke to . Her name is Captain Judy and she has four decent charter boats. When I can get two or three others interested I'll give that a try for $600 a half day.
    Thanks for posting Buddy :up:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  4. Buddy

They have a charter here that does half a day duck hunting and half a day fishing. They catch some huge redfish and speckled trout in the flats here. I think it's $750 for up to 3 people. Not bad and sounds like fun.

5. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Great thread...I'll post some pic's mid march. I got an infraction for posting something someone thought inappropriate so I'm restricted for now. :lol:

6. fishfanmiami

For you fresh water guys

[​IMG]

When i get a minute I'll tell the story of how a drunk and high 20 year old snatched this fish from the mouth of a 6 foot gator in the middle of a moonless night in the Everglades.

7. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Being stuck out in Colorado for a period of time (and watching my fishing/scuba gear rot in the process) and then being blessed with raising my daughter for the past 2+ years here in Florida it's been a while since I've been out. That said, in a month I'm going out fishing with my brother and a few friends the third week of March before he gets married. I'm sure to bring home a few tales from that excursion.

8. fishfanmiami

Where were you at in Colorado ? i use to go to visit Boulder for two week every year. My friend lived about 3 houses down from where they filmed Mork and Mindy until he moved out to Clarksville. Night time skiing at Eldora was a blast.

9. Sons Of Shula

Parker for and Colorado Springs. I liked Eldora; it was nice and close. The traffic on 1-70 is almost always horrendous, but of course I visited quite a lot of the places out there when I could. Breck, Copper, Vail, Keystone, etc. I probably liked Winter Park the best for skiing as it was a little more off the beaten path. Beautiful place. I loved Colorado for about 3 maybe 4 months out of the year. I ****ing hate cold weather. :lol: Boulder was nice. The sidewalk salesman have kinda ruined the place but it's a very unique town with great food and beer.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  10. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I have a few fishing stories. I had a week of training in Hampton Beach area about 20 years ago. I took my wife and young daughter along for the trip. They played at the pool and beach while I was at training during the day. Then we did stuff at night. One evening we planned a fishing trip. It was Blue Fish time there and the one company offered a 3 hour trip for a decent price. We boarded the boat and they took us out several miles. No fish at the first spot so they moved us to another area further out. Finally there was almost a churn of Blue Fish in the sea. People were catching them left and right. The helpers on the boat could hardly keep up with pulling in fish. This was one of those trips where people were jammed elbow to elbow. I ended up bringing in a decent sized Blue Fish after a good fight. Wife and daughter were enjoying the trip. Then it came time to go back. The boat seemed to hit something or one of the 2 motors just gave out, not sure which. The boat started going in circles since it was a twin engine fishing boat. Smoke was coming out of the engine room. We were stranded. People on the boat started panicking. I was surprised that my young daughter wasn't scared at all. They eventually called the coast guard and got a tow back to mainland but we were 10 miles down the shoreline. So they had to send a bunch of vehicles down to pick everyone up and bring them back to the dock where we boarded. The 3 hour trip was supposed to be from 6-9 PM but when we finally got back to the hotel is was 3:30 in the morning. Needless to say I was tired the next day. But I'll never forget my daughters bravery on that trip and the 20-30 minutes when the Blue Fish were practically jumping into our boat.

11. fishfanmiami

That sounded kind of like Gillian's Island " a three hour tour " :lol:
    It was probably tough with your kids along. I got a few engine trouble stories myself. That's one reason i was skeptical about Rob Konrad swimming story. We broke down out in the gulf stream off Miami and by the time the CG got to us the boat had drifted almost 20 miles north. I guess he wasn't out that far.
    Blue fishing is frantic if they are biting. Your description of a "churn" is perfect.They call them choppers because they'll basically bite anything you throw at them. They would hit a beer can if you toss it to them :hump:

12. fishfanmiami

I skiied all those place except Vail plus Loveland. The pass was always closed when i got out there. Got a cool story about getting some under a blanket on the stage at Red Rocks about 6 am on the way to a trip skiing but that belongs in the lounge :)
    Sorry i keep bring these stories back to my personal experiences but I'm older and settled now and don't get to do the fun things i use to. Shula I once timed a vacation in order to go skiing one day and be in the Bahamma's deep sea fishing the next (actually after travel it might have been two days later).

13. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Yep, that trip always reminds me of Gillian's Island. One of my favorite sitcoms growing up.

Got another story from the Miami Beach area. Years ago we were buying lots of servers that had AMD processors in them instead of Intel. The AMD reps wanted to pay for some executives to go to AMD briefing at South Beach. It was last minute and none wanted to go. So the trip was offered down the ranks of our company. When it got to me I jumped at the opportunity. The conference was a lot of high ups from other companies and the other engineer that i went with were kind of out of place at the conference. But it was free, and it was the Ritz-Carlton on South Beach. On the final day of conference 1/2 day was devoted to your choice, SPA at Ritz, Golf at Corral Gables or deep Sea Fishing. Since this is a fishing story I picked the Deep Sea Fishing. Only 10 or so people choose the Fishing due to high waves that day. When we got to the docks on the bus they split us up on 4 boats. I was on a boat with my co worker and one other guy. When we got out there they had 4 out riggers going and we each got turns catching whatever fish they hooked. It was a lot better than those crowded trips I had been on previously. So this is how the rich people live, nice. I ended up catching a decent sized Spanish Mackerel which put up quite a fight considering the wind and waves. My buddy got sea sick as did a lot of the other people on the other boats. Two of the boats when back early because the sea was so rough and people wanted back to mainland. We ended up staying out the whole 4 hours after my co-worker got his second wind. Never got seas sick but remember feeling kind of queasy on the flight back that evening after braving 8-10 ft waves.

14. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Haul from that day
    [​IMG]

15. Buddy

Nice!

16. fishfanmiami

Winter fishing (if you can call it winter) usually means rougher seas. We went out once on a charter in terrible weather. Windy and raining the whole trip. The graphite spinning rods were humming from all the static electricity in the air. The boat was tossing and turning and everyone else except me and one of my managers from Nashville who had never seen the ocean before stayed in the cabin. We had rain coats on and I was determined to get him a nice fish. A smoker King hit his pilchard and the line was buzzing. Soon everyone else was fishing disregarding the elements. King fish seem to like the rough seas if you can get a bait in front of them and we caught several nice ones and even a baby sailfish about 3 feet long. the weather cleared up and it turned out to be a fun trip.

17. fishfanmiami

Nice days haul :up:

18. fishfanmiami

I posted this in the lounge battle but it really belongs here.

[​IMG]

The story is at one time i was operations mgr for a large telco company. It started in Miami only but soon had offices all over the country and these guys were my district managers. Every year i rewarded them with a weekend in Miami for meetings and then golf and fishing. This time we killed them. The picture pretty much says it all :brewskis:
    The second guy from the left was the same one who caught the King fish in the other story.

[​IMG]

Here's another year I took them out but those big fish are just Jack's. Fun to haul in but that's it. We gave them all to the mate. If a charter boat is having a bad day off Miami usually they will park over a deep spot and just haul in jack's to make the customers happy.

[​IMG]

19. Sons Of Shula

I've always thought would be a cool thing to do... Up in the mountains one day, beach the next, or vice versa.

The only got to see one concert at Red Rocks, Alice In Chains. Awesome venue.

20. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Holy ****. What a catch. I noticed your not wearing your Dolphins cap in the first picture. That is the only thing that detracts from the best fishing haul I have ever seen. :hi5:

21. Buddy

Is that a little Cobia that you have in the second picture? I can't tell but the head and body shape says con is...yummy!

22. fishfanmiami

That was amazing. The captian took the time to catch live bait at Fowey light house on our way out. Once we had a bite on the trolled bait just about every cast netted a nice fish. Faught a big one on light tackle and then just drank beer and watched the out of towners have a blast. i've caught tons of Dolphin but never seen a consentration of big ones like that.
    It would have been over kill but we had a big fish fry with all the families that came along and none went to waste :)
    A shark got a nibble out of the second one from the right. All the smaller schoolies on the deck went to the mate.

23. fishfanmiami

Yea but that and the two kings where the only eatable fish so I was not impressed with the big dump trucks from the bottom. The guys had fun dragging them up but we had steaks for dinner. i had the Kings chopped into steaks and had them later. The mate cut up the Cobia and that went to my boss who did not make the trip out. I don't know how he cooked it.
    Believe it or not the guy drove a red Ferrari just like magnum.

24. Buddy

I would have hijacked the Cobia and said to hell with the rest of it. That's some good eating and it caught my eye right off the bat. Any day I catch a Cobia is a good day. Also, I have heard that you can bleed those jacks and smoke them. Apparently, it's pretty good but I can't confirm that.

If the dude in the Ferrari ever pissed you off, you could have slid a chunk of one of those jacks behind his seat and let the sun take it from there! Hahaha

25. fishfanmiami

You are right about the Jacks and that's probably what the mate had in mind. Either that or use them for bait and chum. The really big ones get worms.
    A few years after those fishing trips our company went public. Everything changed and I had to operate under a tight budget. Later after some bad business decisions by those azzholes i was forced to lay off several of those guy whom I had become very close to. I left soon after myself but we had a blast for a while. I still keep in touch with two of them.

26. Buddy

I didn't know about the worms, are they like brain worms? Maybe some of the people around here have been eating big jacks? It would explain a lot. :D

I'm sorry about the situation with your company. I swear that every time I get into the sweet spot with a company and get things just the way I want them through much blood, sweat, and tears, they either switch management structures or lay everyone off. So far so good with my current company but I don't want to get too comfortable!

27. fishfanmiami

In a corporate environment they toss around buzz words like synergy and economies of scale which are code for the guys on top get filthy rich while the real workers and dedicated employees get the shaft.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  28. Buddy

The real irony is when you hear the corporate brass ***** about how none of the employees have any loyalty these days. WTF did you expect when companies lost all of their loyalty to their employees and would slash the work force for a very slight marginal gain in profits. I am all about a profit but am too warm and fuzzy to forget that these are people that we are dealing with who have families and feelings.

29. fishfanmiami

This has nothing to do with fishing but you might get a kick out of it. Towards the end I had the unenviable job of being the axe man. In one case I actually had to layoff my bosses mother in law who was a sweet old lay with absolutely no marketable skills who was on the payroll just for obvious reasons. Her name was Rose.
    Our corp headquarters in Miami had about 200 people working there mostly MS and accounting plus personell and the dispatchers and support guys for my group.
    I made the terrible mistake of breaking the news to her after lunch in the middle of the week. She spent the rest of the day crying and hugging every single person that worked there going from floor to floor totally disrupting the whole office. Half the ladies there were in tears as well and the other half were just pissed at me for being a heartless bastard. My boss who was behind the idea was no where to be found.
    It became an axium in my playbook that any terminations MUST be done on Friday at the end of the day.
    Nothing to do with fishing but a valuable lesson in life for sure.

30. Buddy

Definitely good advice. I haven't had to fire many people, thankfully. I'll coach them out the door like a champ but don't fire unless I have to. I've never had to lay a group off but have been laid off a couple of times. It sucks but generally not too harsh feelings.

31. fishfanmiami

The golf course was closed when we got there and it was to late to try somewhere else so we had oysters at Jim Shaw's instead

32. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

We just had another 5-10 laid off this week. Price Water House is in the top level of company providing recommendations. And you know what that means. When they tell management they need to cut cost the normal plan is to cut worker bees. We have been cutting for years but I can't name more than 1 or 2 managers that have been cut. They just keep cutting the workforce and forcing us to work with people in Manila that get paid by every ticket they handle. It looks like they are saving money but in the end it is costing the same or more and the service level is lower. But to management the average cost of employee is going down and that looks good to management. But yet management continues to grow. It is the good old boy network.

I have been working in it long enough to know you can't beat it. You might as well join it. But i'm an engineer at heart and my best skills are troubleshooting computer problems and not managing people so i have stayed where I am and not try to climb the management ladder. If i can milk this for a few more years I'll be set and no need to even think about enter the management chain.

On a side note Price Water House came up with an Aaron Rodgers like recommendations after a bad last year. You should change your tried and true Publishing name from Reed Elsevier to REL-X to update with the times. it will make you much more profitable. Just R E L X

33. fishfanmiami

I dealt with Price Waterhouse auditors when we were going public. Mindless bean counters if you ask me.
    That recommendation they gave you guys was actually better than the one's they came up with for us.
    Middle management is usually the last to go because they don't carry high salaries and you can increase their work load to compensate for employee loss.
    Upper management cuts are usually negotiated because there are employee contracts to deal with and the guy bails on a golden parracute most of the time.

Good luck guy I hope it all works out.

snapper (fishing thread :))

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  34. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Back on topic,

My best fishing trip ever was when I was 15 years old and living in Michigan. My dad planed a week long trip to Canada with me and my older brother. We drove several hours into Canada and then had to board a train. You could not reach this lake by car. We road the train North for about an hour and then it stopped by a lake. They let you off and then the only way back was when the train came back by in the 2 days. Awaiting at the train stop were boats that took up to and island in remote area in Canada. On the island there were primitive fishing cabins but the island was gorgeous. Cliffs, rocks and beautiful clear water all around. Fishing was incredible. We caught our limits in both walleyes and northern pike and then chose which to keep each day. Very fun fishing. I can remember times trolling in Michigan where i was bored as hell. This was nothing like that. Constant action if you were willing to put your line in the water.

One of the funniest things about the trip was the train ride to the lake. With each passenger fair you were allowed to transport a couple of cases of beer without paying extra. The trip included several of my dads co-workers so when we boarded they had a whole cart full of beer. it was larger than our luggage and fishing gear. By the end of the week my dad ran out because me and my brother kept swiping his portion. We also met a Canadian worker on the island that like to party that was our age. While the adults were partying my brother and i would grab a few beers and head over to the Canadian's cabin. He had some pretty good weed and my older brother had just got me interested in it prior to the trip. So we had some pretty interesting nights partying with total stranger from a different country and wonderful fishing.

My biggest regret is that I did not schedule a repeat of that same trip with my father before he died to pay him back for that wonderful experience. I thought about it several times in the last 5 years but never executed. Now it is too late. Live and learn.

35. fishfanmiami

Too bad you didn't get to repeat the trip with dad one more time. My early childhood fishing trips to the keys with my father are great memories as well.
    That sounds like a truly great fishing trip. i've never caught any of those yankee fish like pike or walleyes :(
    I've seen videos and it looks like they fight like heck.

36. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Unfortunately, walleye don't really put up much of a fight. Fortunately, walleye are de-****ing-licious!!! :eat:

A trip some buddies & I took to Lake Erie a few years back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Not pictured are my other two friends who were still "sea sick" from being out on Erie. :chuckle:)

37. Buddy

My FIL swore that walleye was the best eating fish that there was. I've never even seen one.

38. fishfanmiami

Excellent bump :up: Me either Buddy

Yea Bump I think i was talking about pickerel or maybe they are the same fish . I really don't know any of those personally.
    I do know Pike and Muskie can get huge. I saw Csonka fishing for them in Alaska on american sportsmen.
    In the big lakes down here it's crappie , lg and small mouth bass and strippers. Big cats in the river especially around the dams and huge gar which try to steal your catch.

I knew you would break out some great pictures bump. You posted a big bass and some cats before.

Here's a monster grouper I fought for hours before hauling in.

[​IMG]

:chuckle: Using the gaff to hold him up was a joke.

poor fella. We were fishing for big tarpon and he just happened to get in the way so he and a few of his buddies ended up in our ice box. He was barely legal but tasted great fried.
    The story is the two bridges you see behind are the 7 mile bridge down in the Key just past Marathon. The old bridge is just used for fishing now. If you remember the scene in True Lies where Arnie saved Jamie Lee as the car went off the bridge that's it. There are still remains of a third bridge that was destored in a hurricane in the 30's I beleive.

[video=youtube_share;eUV2P_Beeq8]http://youtu.be/eUV2P_Beeq8[/video]

During May HUGE tarpon up to 150 pounds congrugate around the two and can be had on any tide changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  39. fishfanmiami

Here's a couple cool pics from member AGFins who took his son down to Miami to see the Fins and Canes play and also managed to snag a few nice Kings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's Miami Beach in the back ground. This is typical fall and winter fishing in S. Fla. Lots of Kings to be had. Sailfish time as well. The Dolphin start showing up in number come May or June although you can snag a stray one any time of year in the right conditions.

40. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Yeah, Bump is right. Walleyes don't put up much of a fight but taste Delicious. Now Northern Pike can get very large and I've seen them put up a fight.
    Have to dig out some old photo's and scan them in. Pretty sure I have a picture of a 4 ft long Northern pike that one of my dad's co-workers caught up in Canada. My Buddy at work like to fish for Muskies which get very large. I have never caught one of those.