𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

Winter fishing (if you can call it winter) usually means rougher seas. We went out once on a charter in terrible weather. Windy and raining the whole trip. The graphite spinning rods were humming from all the static electricity in the air. The boat was tossing and turning and everyone else except me and one of my managers from Nashville who had never seen the ocean before stayed in the cabin. We had rain coats on and I was determined to get him a nice fish. A smoker King hit his pilchard and the line was buzzing. Soon everyone else was fishing disregarding the elements. King fish seem to like the rough seas if you can get a bait in front of them and we caught several nice ones and even a baby sailfish about 3 feet long. the weather cleared up and it turned out to be a fun trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haul from that day
2e68de578470033e388fd2c3efb9677f.jpg

Nice days haul :up:

I posted this in the lounge battle but it really belongs here.

bestdayever.jpg

The story is at one time i was operations mgr for a large telco company. It started in Miami only but soon had offices all over the country and these guys were my district managers. Every year i rewarded them with a weekend in Miami for meetings and then golf and fishing. This time we killed them. The picture pretty much says it all :brewskis:
The second guy from the left was the same one who caught the King fish in the other story.

fishsu6.gif

Here's another year I took them out but those big fish are just Jack's. Fun to haul in but that's it. We gave them all to the mate. If a charter boat is having a bad day off Miami usually they will park over a deep spot and just haul in jack's to make the customers happy.

Picture001.jpg

I skiied all those place except Vail plus Loveland. The pass was always closed when i got out there. Got a cool story about getting some under a blanket on the stage at Red Rocks about 6 am on the way to a trip skiing but that belongs in the lounge :)
Sorry i keep bring these stories back to my personal experiences but I'm older and settled now and don't get to do the fun things i use to. Shula I once timed a vacation in order to go skiing one day and be in the Bahamma's deep sea fishing the next (actually after travel it might have been two days later).

I've always thought would be a cool thing to do... Up in the mountains one day, beach the next, or vice versa.

The only got to see one concert at Red Rocks, Alice In Chains. Awesome venue.

bestdayever.jpg

The story is at one time i was operations mgr for a large telco company. It started in Miami only but soon had offices all over the country and these guys were my district managers. Every year i rewarded them with a weekend in Miami for meetings and then golf and fishing. This time we killed them. The picture pretty much says it all :brewskis:
The second guy from the left was the same one who caught the King fish in the other story.

fishsu6.gif

Here's another year I took them out but those big fish are just Jack's. Fun to haul in but that's it. We gave them all to the mate. If a charter boat is having a bad day off Miami usually they will park over a deep spot and just haul in jack's to make the customers happy.

Picture001.jpg

Holy ****. What a catch. I noticed your not wearing your Dolphins cap in the first picture. That is the only thing that detracts from the best fishing haul I have ever seen. :hi5:

bestdayever.jpg

fishsu6.gif

Picture001.jpg
Is that a little Cobia that you have in the second picture? I can't tell but the head and body shape says con is...yummy!

Holy ****. What a catch. I noticed your not wearing your Dolphins cap in the first picture. That is the only thing that detracts from the best fishing haul I have ever seen. :hi5:

That was amazing. The captian took the time to catch live bait at Fowey light house on our way out. Once we had a bite on the trolled bait just about every cast netted a nice fish. Faught a big one on light tackle and then just drank beer and watched the out of towners have a blast. i've caught tons of Dolphin but never seen a consentration of big ones like that.
It would have been over kill but we had a big fish fry with all the families that came along and none went to waste :)
A shark got a nibble out of the second one from the right. All the smaller schoolies on the deck went to the mate.

Is that a little Cobia that you have in the second picture? I can't tell but the head and body shape says con is...yummy!

Yea but that and the two kings where the only eatable fish so I was not impressed with the big dump trucks from the bottom. The guys had fun dragging them up but we had steaks for dinner. i had the Kings chopped into steaks and had them later. The mate cut up the Cobia and that went to my boss who did not make the trip out. I don't know how he cooked it.
Believe it or not the guy drove a red Ferrari just like magnum.

Yea but that and the two kings where the only eatable fish so I was not impressed with the big dump trucks from the bottom. The guys had fun dragging them up but we had steaks for dinner. i had the Kings chopped into steaks and had them later. The mate cut up the Cobia and that went to my boss who did not make the trip out. I don't know how he cooked it.
Believe it or not the guy drove a red Ferrari just like magnum.
I would have hijacked the Cobia and said to hell with the rest of it. That's some good eating and it caught my eye right off the bat. Any day I catch a Cobia is a good day. Also, I have heard that you can bleed those jacks and smoke them. Apparently, it's pretty good but I can't confirm that.

If the dude in the Ferrari ever pissed you off, you could have slid a chunk of one of those jacks behind his seat and let the sun take it from there! Hahaha

You are right about the Jacks and that's probably what the mate had in mind. Either that or use them for bait and chum. The really big ones get worms.
A few years after those fishing trips our company went public. Everything changed and I had to operate under a tight budget. Later after some bad business decisions by those azzholes i was forced to lay off several of those guy whom I had become very close to. I left soon after myself but we had a blast for a while. I still keep in touch with two of them.

You are right about the Jacks and that's probably what the mate had in mind. Either that or use them for bait and chum. The really big ones get worms.
A few years after those fishing trips our company went public. Everything changed and I had to operate under a tight budget. Later after some bad business decisions by those azzholes i was forced to lay off several of those guy whom I had become very close to. I left soon after myself but we had a blast for a while. I still keep in touch with two of them.
I didn't know about the worms, are they like brain worms? Maybe some of the people around here have been eating big jacks? It would explain a lot. :D

I'm sorry about the situation with your company. I swear that every time I get into the sweet spot with a company and get things just the way I want them through much blood, sweat, and tears, they either switch management structures or lay everyone off. So far so good with my current company but I don't want to get too comfortable!

In a corporate environment they toss around buzz words like synergy and economies of scale which are code for the guys on top get filthy rich while the real workers and dedicated employees get the shaft.

In a corporate environment they toss around words like synergy and economies of scale which are code for the guys on top get filthy rich while the real workers and dedicated employees get the shaft.

The real irony is when you hear the corporate brass bitch about how none of the employees have any loyalty these days. WTF did you expect when companies lost all of their loyalty to their employees and would slash the work force for a very slight marginal gain in profits. I am all about a profit but am too warm and fuzzy to forget that these are people that we are dealing with who have families and feelings.

This has nothing to do with fishing but you might get a kick out of it. Towards the end I had the unenviable job of being the axe man. In one case I actually had to layoff my bosses mother in law who was a sweet old lay with absolutely no marketable skills who was on the payroll just for obvious reasons. Her name was Rose.
Our corp headquarters in Miami had about 200 people working there mostly MS and accounting plus personell and the dispatchers and support guys for my group.
I made the terrible mistake of breaking the news to her after lunch in the middle of the week. She spent the rest of the day crying and hugging every single person that worked there going from floor to floor totally disrupting the whole office. Half the ladies there were in tears as well and the other half were just pissed at me for being a heartless bastard. My boss who was behind the idea was no where to be found.
It became an axium in my playbook that any terminations MUST be done on Friday at the end of the day.
Nothing to do with fishing but a valuable lesson in life for sure.

This has nothing to do with fishing but you might get a kick out of it. Towards the end I had the unenviable job of being the axe man. In one case I actually had to layoff my bosses mother in law who was a sweet old lay with absolutely no marketable skills who was on the payroll just for obvious reasons. Her name was Rose.
Our corp headquarters in Miami had about 200 people working there mostly MS and accounting plus personell and the dispatchers and support guys for my group.
I made the terrible mistake of breaking the news to her after lunch in the middle of the week. She spent the rest of the day crying and hugging every single person that worked there going from floor to floor totally disrupting the whole office. Half the ladies there were in tears as well and the other half were just pissed at me for being a heartless bastard. My boss who was behind the idea was no where to be found.
It became an axium in my playbook that any terminations MUST be done on Friday at the end of the day.
Nothing to do with fishing but a valuable lesson in life for sure.
Definitely good advice. I haven't had to fire many people, thankfully. I'll coach them out the door like a champ but don't fire unless I have to. I've never had to lay a group off but have been laid off a couple of times. It sucks but generally not too harsh feelings.

Back
Top Bottom