Official Game Thread: Czech Republic vs Ghana | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: Czech Republic vs Ghana

Prime Time said:
:tongue: No, because we don't control what the other teams score in their other games.

Actually, I think we actually did control our own destiny. Why? In theory, the US could rack up any goal differential it wants. Let me do this formally.

Suppose we let x=the goal differential for the Czechs over Ghana (which could be anything, since I was assuming US controlled its destiny before this match.)
Thus, at this point, the Czechs have a goal differential of 3+x.

The next game is the US vs Italy, where US racks up a goal differential of y. Let's say for argument sake y=x+7 (anything is ok as long as y>x+6). So, US goal differential is now x+7-3=x+4. Italy now has 2-x-4=-x-2 goal differential.

Now, the last two games are played simultaneously. So, if Czechs and the Italians are to go through, Italy has to get more than a total of x+7 goal differential (at least) since US controls Ghana match in this scenario. So, Italy MUST score at least x+2+x+8 =2x+10 goals MORE than the Czechs.

So, Czechs then MUST have lost by at least 2x+10 goals. Thus, the Czechs have 3+x-2x-10 = -x-7 goal differential.

As you see, there is NO way the Czechs and the Italians can go through if the US controls its matches!!

So, technically, the US was in control of its destiny before this match.

ckb2001 said:
Actually, I think we actually did control our own destiny. Why? In theory, the US could rack up any goal differential it wants. Let me do this formally.

Suppose we let x=the goal differential for the Czechs over Ghana (which could be anything, since I was assuming US controlled its destiny before this match.)
Thus, at this point, the Czechs have a goal differential of 3+x.

The next game is the US vs Italy, where US racks up a goal differential of y. Let's say for argument sake y=x+7 (anything is ok as long as y>x+6). So, US goal differential is now x+7-3=x+4. Italy now has 2-x-4=-x-2 goal differential.

Now, the last two games are played simultaneously. So, if Czechs and the Italians are to go through, Italy has to get more than a total of x+7 goal differential (at least) since US controls Ghana match in this scenario. So, Italy MUST score at least x+2+x+8 =2x+10 goals MORE than the Czechs.

So, Czechs then MUST have lost by at least 2x+10 goals. Thus, the Czechs have 3+x-2x-10 = -x-7 goal differential.

As you see, there is NO way the Czechs and the Italians can go through if the US controls its matches!!

So, technically, the US was in control of its destiny before this match.

:tongue:

I think that Ghana winning put Italy in a very good position, winning today they will clinch the first place going in to the next level. I'am not sure about the USA beating Ghana tho.

MARINO1384 said:
It'll be veryyyyyy difficult.They'll have to bring thier A game and even with that it'll still be very hard. I still think they lose. They don't have enough star power. Until the untied states gets some players to the better premier leagues across seas the us won't succeed in the World Cup. Taking players from the MLS isn't going to work. You could prolly take players from the english divison 2 premier leage and still get higher quility players then the US has now.

Half of the US Squad that is in Germany plays in Europe...

The Czechs are lost without Koller. His ball holding, aerial play and finishing are unparalleled. He makes that side work. Against the US, Rosicky's individual efforts and the Czechs clearly superior midfield pushed them through but as Ghana showed today, that won't be enough against a good team. They need him back and better play from the flanks if they want to have a chance. Jankulovski, Poborsky and Plasil are all better players than they showed today. Age is also factor, especially in Poborsky and Galasek's cases. They looked old.

That was a beat down by Ghana over Czech Republic...why is Brent Mushburger talking soccer?...I guess he is the U.S. soccer expert now. :lol:

Roman529 said:
That was a beat down by Ghana over Czech Republic...why is Brent Mushburger talking soccer?...I guess he is the U.S. soccer expert now. :lol:

It gives the sport a bit of credibility (to those who don't know soccer), so I think ABC did a good thing there. He's actually doing ok with his obviously little knowledge of soccer.

The US announcers are in general still not where they need to be, but if you guys remember the infamous Ty Keough or others even a few years back, you'll notice the improvement in our announcers. Maybe in 4 years they'll finally get to a level where we won't be attacking the announcers..

Back
Top Bottom