*** OFFICIAL JAGUARS @ DOLPHINS GAME THREAD *** Week 15 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** OFFICIAL JAGUARS @ DOLPHINS GAME THREAD *** Week 15

Sunday is the 40th anniversary of the final regular season game of 1972. I remember it well, particularly the frustrating end to the fourth quarter. You would think the fans would have been elated to complete a perfect regular season but that was hardly the feeling in the Orange Bowl as the game ended. We never doubted we would win. Baltimore was weak that year, by far their worst season in memory. But they were surprisingly tough in the finale, particularly on defense.

Miami spent the fourth quarter determined to get 1000 yards for Mercury Morris, which would mean the first team with two 1000 yard backs in the same season. Csonka was already there. Rick Weaver provided the countdown on WIOD. You could hear those pocket radios everywhere in the stands. Frustration mounted in Weaver's voice and throughout the Orange Bowl as the Colts shut down one Morris rush after another. We'd pitch it to him and the Colts swarmed to the ball, stuffing the play for virtually nothing. Frankly, it was difficult to believe. Everything broke positively for the Dolphins in 1972 and 1973 with very rare exception. This was one of them.

Morris ended up with a then-career high 26 rushing attempts. Only one time in his career did he match or surpass that 26 attempts. But against the Colts he managed barely 3 yards per carry, and he finished 8 yards shy of 1000. I'll never forget the down mood as everyone filtered out of the stadium.

Then days later the NFL discovered 8 missing yards from an earlier game, pushing Morris to exactly 1000. Those missing yards were mocked by fans and media alike. One wag found hundreds of yards needed by a different running back. But I tell you what, it was legit. The play in question was a major screw up by the statistical crew. It was obvious at the time. Earl Morrall threw a quick pass to the left that only traveled a foot or so before being swatted by a defensive lineman. The ball ricocheted deep into the backfield, where Morris alertly fell on it. This was in the Orange Bowl, I believe against Buffalo. Everyone in the crowd howled at the call, wondering how the referees missed that it rightfully was an incomplete forward pass, not a lateral. At the time we were livid at the 8 yard loss but it came in handy at season's end.

That was the first major statistical change I can think of, long after the fact.

Thank you for that. Boy, that there is what I am talking about our history and pride our fans have. Yes, the current team and franchise is not what it was was but, we can BUILD it back up to that once again. Thanks for sharing. GO DOLPHINS!!!!

This game reminds me of the Tennessee game. EVERYONE. I mean everyone from national media pundits to the local guys are picking the Fins. Even the local Jacksonville guys. I got the same gut feeling now that I did vs. Tennessee.

I really want a Fins a win today. Come on man...step up against these guys.

Flew in from the Poconos for this one...staying with a cousin. First time at Sun Life. We're apparently going to the game with a former Hurricane and Dolphin.

First things first, tho. Where the heck is the coffee?

I don't want to see no ugly ass 13-10 win. I want Tannehill and the rest of the offense to have a big game or go the eff home.

I don't want to see no ugly ass 13-10 win. I want Tannehill and the rest of the offense to have a big game or go the eff home.

There is no way they can light it up. No explosive weapons to begin with or 3rd down game changer in Bess. Might be able to work the TE's this week. Run the ball. Take the ball away. Score on D and win ugly.

Jeff DeForrest is so ****ing bad. Doesn't the station have someone else? He is not funny nor does he have **** for insight.

Will Armon Binns be active do we think? Any thoughts on what he may be able to bring today?

Why are we doing this again? Someone remind me why I keep following this team please..

What hurts is this is the type of game that Miami comes out and plays like they did in the Raiders and Jets road game with nothing on the line and looks like a playoff contender with no chance of being in them.But in this case,Im Ok with it because this was a rookie team season in so many ways.

Miami 31 Jags 20

Jaguars inactives: Quan Cosby, Rashad Jennings, Jordan Todman, Aaron Ross, Maurice Jones-Drew, Andre Branch, George Selvie.

Fins inactives: Koa Misi, Pat Devlin, Davone Bess, Michael Egnew, Kyle Miller, Kheeston Randall

Back
Top Bottom