Official UFC/MMA Thread..Spoiler Alert..

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Findetta, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

Don't know if there already is an official UFC thread, I tried searching but came up with nothing. If there is please just merge them thanks.

UFC 96 is tonight starting at 10 Eastern time. Looks like a pretty good card.
    I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, usually I watch at Geronimo's in Davie but I may be flying solo so if anyone wants to come out or is watchin it anywhere else let me know. Anyone that likes the Dolphins is cool with me.

2. Dolfan3773

Dolfan3773 Bleeding 305 since 1987

nice event last night...

3. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

Very, the one were the ref should have stopped it 3 times was pretty interesting.

4. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Yeah we needed this thread in here. Shogun vs my boy Chuck next month. The battle of who's more washed up? lol. Also Leites/A.Silva on that card should be a pretty good show.

5. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

ya thats what I was thinking man, I've seen every other kind of thread on here and only came across separate UFC fights. So I figured why not make a general UFC thread.

anyway ya that fight should be interesting, I think Chuck is trying to surpass Couture in the oldest fighter league. my prediction, Shogun and Chuck KO each other at the same time. and whoever gets up first wins, lol maybe they will have the ref with the three knockdown KO rule. I'm still pullin for the Ice Man though.
    I love watching Silva fight, he's entertaining and amazing. he should just go up and try his luck in light heavyweight, I hear he cuts a lot of weight before fights.

6. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

Also, whether Rampage takes the belt back or Evans keeps it, it doesn't matter. Machida will have it the next fight. I'd say light heavyweight is the most stacked division of UFC. Heavyweight is getting more interesting to, hopefully Mir can outwit Lesnar again and take the belt. But Shane Carwin is a beast to. also more and more guys are popping up, a new wave is coming.

7. CUBANBADGUY

CUBANBADGUY AXIS LEADER

8. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

:confused: What are you questioning?

9. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

The Ultimate Fighter
    I'm not even looking at the match ups. If the U.S. losing I will be disappointed.

UFC 97 Fight card. April 18th
    http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.fightCard&eid=1921
    Silva VS Leites
    Leites may be a little competition but...Spider will defend his title again. I don't see anyone but himself stopping him. Unless they catch him sleeping which is rare these days.
    Liddell VS Rua
    Whoever loses has to look at retiring, whoever wins.. should look at retiring.
    Kongo VS Hardonk?? If Kongo doesn't win I don't know what to tell you, when he does though... How can he be denied a title shot?

UFC 98 May 23rd.
    http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.fightCard&eid=2001
    Lets not got too far but... Evans VS Machida?? I really thought Dana would give his boy Rampage the title shot. The Rampage snub is a surprise but Machida taking down Evans shouldn't be.

10. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

11. Dolfan3773

Silva VS Leites was prob. the worst fight ive ever seen, it was really boring. I know both fighters were playing it smart but damn it really was crap to watch. It was also sad to see Liddell retire like that...

12. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

very disappointing fights last night. ole' chuck needs to walk away before he hurts himself. silva and leites didn't even have a fight. they had a gay-off. they both won. glad i didn't spend the money to order that one.

13. Dolfan3773

LOL..yeah, I went to a local bar that never has a cover charge..it was a crappy eveny...BTW, that was Chucks last fight..sucked to see him go out like that

14. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

I'm not trying to see any results from last night, I couldn't watch last night but I already know the outcome of 1 thanks to friends posting it in their facebook status. Just wanted to say I'm glad this thread has come back up and hope it gets bigger. Also UFC Unleashed is on Spike right now for those that are interested.

15. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

i was also smart and went to the always trusty winghouse to watch it. i would have been have been super pissed if i spent the fifty bucks for that travesty. it was indeed very sad to see chuck go out like that.

hopefully the rashad/machida fight will make up for that entire card.

16. PhinsLakersFan

PhinsLakersFan Active Member

i think machida wins 2nd round TKO. whats your take? i know both like to wait and counter punch just hope that's not the case

17. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Anybody watch The Ultimate Fighter? It's kinda corny but it's a guilty pleasure. They're doing team USA vs team UK. I'm not shocked to say the US team is already making fools of themselves.

As for Evans vs Machida, I got Machida by TDO (Techincal Decision Out.) :chuckle:

18. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

i think it will be a real good fight. evans is always improving and machida is no joke. i think it will go into the fourth and rashad will gas and get caught with some good shots and that will be that. really looking forward to that card.

19. Dolfan3773

UFC 101 will be Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin....really looking foward for this and hoping Griffin kicks his ***!

20. LibertineOneThree

LibertineOneThree English Fin

Hey guys. Only just noticed this thread so thought I'd say hi.

I'm a big UFC fan and echo a lot of your opinions from last time out. Chuck pretty much got me into the sport and to see him vanish like he has over the last 18 months is so sad. I thought he'd showed he still had a little in the tank vs Wanderlei Silva but I guess that was an exception.

Looking forward to Machida vs Sugar. Bout time someone stopped Evans, he's a heck of a fighter but he's a bit dull for me, I'd like to see someone shock him and bring him back to Earth.

Anderson Silva vs Forest seems like a bit of a wasted headliner to me. I don't think there's any doubt Anderson will wipe the deck with Forest, they guy is just so strong with his all round game. He doesn't have any holes. I'd sooner have seen him fight a dominant 205 lbs guy, Chuck 2 years ago or even Rampage.

21. KDog13

KDog13 "I See No Changes" - Tupac

Evans is the man i hope he wins

22. BARF

BARF ...FOR ME TO POOP ON

has anybody played the demo for the ufc game its awesome

23. KDog13

KDog13 "I See No Changes" - Tupac

um hell yea its straight fire

24. Dolfan3773

Yeah man...its good stuff, def. getting the game

25. moe

moe Scout Team

I watch it. I'm actually a fan of the show especially when they do two fights in one show. There's only so much of the drama crap I can take tho. I don't mind a little sh** talking here and there, just not 45 minutes of it.

I'm pulling for the US team just because... but they seem to be either old, bitchy guys with a chip on their shoulder or immature guys with attitudes (who cry a lot). I think the UK will probably win both weights because they seem more focused....and Hendo pretty much sucks as a coach.

I hate michael Bisping and I hope hendo pulverizes him. (prolly won't happen:()

26. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Really? You don't give Forrest much credit then, or you give Anderson too much credit, either way.

Forrest beat Shogun and Rampage to become the LHW champ. He was also tooling Rashad for 2.5 rounds but got caught. He is still a top 5 LHW.

27. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Evans has a puncher's chance, but he's not the KO expert people have made him out to be. The two big KO's he's been praised for have been against fighters who have questionable chins. Chuck used to have a good chin, but a fighter can only take so many hits, and Griffin got KO'd by Jardine, and Jardine doesn't KO ANYONE. I see Machida getting the KO in round 3 or 4. Dominating the fight throughout.

I also think Silva should kill Griffin.

Griffin beat an out of shape Shogun recovering from a major injury. Shogun was winning the fight before he gassed. He could barely stand up for the majority of the 2nd - just out of exhaustion. Rampage wasn't prepared for the fight with Forrest. He thought it'd be an easy KO, and I still had Rampage winning the fight pretty clearly. I think Griffin benefited from being the UFC's golden boy, and they were going to give him the win in any fight remotely close.

Also, Griffin can't hurt anybody. He has no advantages over Silva save for size, and if he tries to take Silva to the ground, he's nowhere near Silva's grappling level. On the feat, it's clear Silva is one of the two best strikers in MMA - maybe the best. Silva was playing his last fight smart. When Leites would take a nap in the middle of the ring, hoping Silva would engage, Silva knew he was dealing with a world champion Brazilian Jujutsu expert. In Griffin, he has NOTHING to fear. Forrest can't finish good fighters. He can only point them to death or hope they gas.

28. LibertineOneThree

LibertineOneThree English Fin

Wow. Just completely on the mark.

I wouldn't say Griffin is overrated because I don't think anyone really rates him. His little run to the title was fairytale stuff, he caught the right guys on the right nights (or wrong nights, for his opponents). He's a good fighter but most of his Ws seem to come from heart and persistence. The Jardine fight was just awful from his persepective and he made Evans look a much better fighter in the title fight.

Shogun looked so out of shape in the Griffin fight, and even against Coleman, he was gassed early in the second. Griffin will always entertain and be a fan favourite but I think as long as he is genuinely a top five fighter, the 205 class is too weak.

Anderson Silva is arguably the most talented fighter in the world. The guy hasn't been touched for like two years and has dismessed some classy guys, Hendo and Franklin to name just a couple with consomate ease. I'd really like to see GSP jump up and fight him. Now that would be a hell of a scrap.

Meanwhile, Michael Bisping is somewhat of a cult hero over here for obvious reasons. I don't see him getting anywhere near the Spider but if Franklin, Hendo and a couple of others could come though, that would be an amazing rotation to battle underneath Silva.

29. j-off-her-doll

I'd love to see the GSP fight Silva. While I'd favor Silva, I'd give GSP a legitimate shot. GSP is the most dynamic take-down/ground-and-pound fighter in the UFC, and while Silva's very good off his back, his take-down defense is just pretty good. GSP would have a real shot at pounding him out on the ground. While Silva would have the clear stand-up advantage, GSP's quite good there, too.

And if Bisping takes out Henderson (tall order), he'd deserve a shot at Silva.

You on Sherdog? I have an account, but I never post there - too much noise.

30. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Lol. Pleaaase. Shogun was never winning that fight. It's a convenient excuse that he was coming off an injury -- who cares. You step in the cage your healthy enough to fight. Was Shogun's injury also hampering him fighting Coleman cause he looked terrible in that fight.

Ok, the Shogun part was bad enough, but saying Jackson lost cause he took Forrest lightly doesn't even deserve a response.

You're welcome to believe Anderson will beat Forrest, but to discredit a fighters wins is pretty sad IMO. It's not like Forrest went in the cage and ran from these marquee names. He got in there and exchanged and earned victories.

31. Dolfan3773

For UFC fans who live in Vegas:

Come meet UFC fighter RAMPAGE JACKSON Friday, May 22nd at the Best Buy on Maryland Pkwy!!!!
    He will be there from 6:00pm to 7:30pm to sign autographs and promote the new UFC Undisputed 2009 game being released May 19th.
    Don't miss your opportunity to meet him!!

Best Buy Store 289
    3820 S. Mayland Pkwy
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    702-732-8283 ext. 2180

32. j-off-her-doll

Did you see Shogun KO Chuck? I don't think Shogun was fully back for that fight, but there's not way in Hell Forrest beats THAT Shogun. So, yes, I think Shogun was still recovering during the Coleman fight. I think he's still getting back to where he once was. I'm not taking anything away from Forrest - simply stating facts. He beat Shogun because Shogun was out of shape - probably due to his injury. Shogun was also MUCH slower in his first two UFC fights. And Rampage won the fight. He didn't knock him out like he should have, but he still out fought him. Forrest won the fight because the UFC lurrrves them some Forrest.

He can't finish people. He's not threat. He can only hope to point people to death - aka win a decision. Against fighters like Anderson Silva, that doesn't work. Silva will know that Forrest can't finish him, so he'll be aggressive.

33. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Chuck is pushing 40. He's lost 4 of his last 5 fights. He was knocked out two other times in that span(Rashad, Rampage) and was also knocked down by both Wanderlei and Jardine(He's been on his *** every fight for the last 5.) You expect me to be impressed by Shogun doing the same? Forrest is a better fighter than Chuck is right now by a landslide. Really shows your bias with how you praise him for that, and discredit Forrest's wins.

That's weird, you must think Machida really sucks. He's a 'out-pointing' expert. Most people think he will mop Rashad and win the belt.

34. j-off-her-doll

Machida has finished Franklin and Thiago Silva. He's a very capable finisher - by both KO and submission. What quality fighter has Griffin KO'd or submitted? And, the Shogun fight obviously doesn't count. Shogun gave his back just so he could stop fighting. He was that tired.

Also, Chuck was winning the Evan's fight before he got caught, and Rampage is one of the best light heavy weights in the game today. I think Chuck would be Griffin 4 out of 5 times. To beat Chuck, you have to threaten him. Griffin isn't a threat to anyone - save for an out-pointing threat.

If you've actually seen Machida fight, you'd know that he's a very capable finisher, and if you've seen Griffin fight, you'd know he's not.

35. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Machida has finished one fight by KO in 3 years, his last, and 4 KOs in 14 fights why try and twist it? He's a point fighter.

There is no fight that 'doesn't count.' Shogun stepped in the cage he was healthy to fight. Shogun gave his back because Forrest was tooling him on the feet and the ground.

Chuck was winning the Shogun fight before he got caught too, what's your point? Chuck doesn't defend punches, and he's much slower to react in his old age, thus he always gets caught, it's inevitable. What part of 4 losses in his last 5, 2 KOs and 7 knockdowns is not registering? Chuck is one of my all time favorite fighters but facts are facts, and your arguing with pure bias.

I don't know what your obsession is with finishing fights, a win is a win. Sure finishes are more exciting but it doesn't mean a fighter is less skilled or accomplished in the sport. You talk as if Forrest just punches and runs. No, Forrest gets in the pocket and exchanges, the only difference is he lacks KO power. Which is more, not less of a testament to his ability because he still wins fights without good power.

Once again, I don't care who you root for, or think is better, but trying to cheapen Forrest's achievements and overall ability is quite sad to me. Reeks of bitter Shogun fanboyism.

36. j-off-her-doll

Almost everything you're saying is blatantly wrong.

He was not healthy to fight. He looked like an old-man version of himself. Shogun was winning the striking game before he gassed. He gassed and then couldn't even hold his hands above his waist. If you couldn't see that - couldn't hold his hands above his ****ing waist - I don't know what you are capable of seeing.

Chuck was NOT winning the fight before Shogun caught him - not even close. He is not the fighter he was. That much is clear. That said, the primary difference is the competition level. When he was dominating, there was no one in his weight class that posed a real threat - save for Randy, but even Randy had a bad match up against him. When the UFC expanded and started bringing in some great strikers, Chuck found himself primarily outclassed. Rampage is one of the best boxers - not the most complete striker - in the class, and before Shogun blew out his knee, many people had him as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He beat Wanderlei Silva, and he looked very sharp in the win. The loss to Jardine I attribute as a hangover loss. Jardine's an awkward fighter anyway, but I don't think Chuck had recovered from the loss to Rampage. Until that fight, he had been untouchable for a few years (in the UFC). I attribute his loss to Evans as a stupid mistake. Up until that point, Evans hadn't shown a good deal of punching power, so I don't think Chuck feared him at all.

Forrest fights to the best of his ability. He utilizes what he has as much as anyone in the UFC. I actually like him - not as much as most people, but I find him to be a generally amiable character. The issue is not that Forrest does not finish fights. It's that he isn't capable of finishing fights against good fighters. This has nothing to do with how much I like him. It has everything to do with his chances of beating a fighter like Anderson Silva. When you fight a striker as dynamic as Silva, you had better give him something to keep him honest. There is no area of Griffin's game that Silva has to take into account. Silva's last fight was boring because he had to worry about Leites' submissions. Forrest has no aspect of his game to keep Silva honest in that way.

MMA is too transient in nature for me to attach myself to one fighter. I enjoy watching certain fighters more than others. One of the best things about the sport is that the most dynamic fighters tend to be the best. Though Machida doesn't always finish people, I find his fights very dynamic. If Shogun can get back to where he was, he will be Machida's greatest competition at LH.

37. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Your right, he didn't look like he did in Pride. Too bad they didn't continue to let him juice up in the States as he did in Japan huh?

Lol, i'm not going to get into an argument whether Chuck was winning or not. It wasn't even a full one round fight. But that round was close in landed strikes until Chuck was knocked down, I don't know where you get 'not even close.'

But in the end, your basicly just making the case for why Chuck is washed up, thus re-enforcing my point that Shogun winning this fight wasn't very impressive.

Forrest is the number 3 ranked LHW in the world. He has plenty of ability. What he doesn't have is KO power. Now, as well rounded as he may be, he prefers to strike. So on paper, yes Anderson has the advantage. But then again so did Rampage right? Obviously Page had way more power. And it was a 5 round fight. Forrest got caught a few times but persevered in the end. Few can contend with Forrest Griffin's heart. That's what makes him a top fighter more than anything else.

There was nothing dynamic about Shogun's last fight, or any he's had in the UFC really. Sounds like your living on passed glory my friend.

38. Findetta

Findetta Super Fan

Decent card tonight guys. My prediction, Machida will take it.

39. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Machida over Evans armbar 3rd.

Hughes over Serra TKO 2nd via ground n pound.

Sherk over Edgar decision.

40. j-off-her-doll

Predicted Machida would KO Evans in the 3rd or 4th. Got him a little quicker than I expected, but I'm not shocked.