Official UFC/MMA Thread..Spoiler Alert.. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official UFC/MMA Thread..Spoiler Alert..

I would say don't underestimate Lesner. He's about as focused as they come. He's genuinely a mean, ill tempered person and really a machine.

As sort of outside looking in on MMA (Not really invested in it. Too many wannabe jack offs running around here with Tapout gear and bald heads for me to want to associate with it) I can tell you what Lesner did at the end of the fight helped MMA a LOT. I have never heard of an MMA even being discussed on national sports radio for ONE whole day, not to mention TWO whole days. Lots of that was due to Lesner's antics.

As he said; He is used to performing on VERY large stages and in the WWE he was generally a "heel", or the bad guy (As opposed to a "face", good guy). He just did what he was programed to do. The owner of MMA put a boot up his ***, and, rightly so, but Brock was just doing what he had to do. In the wrestling industry it's called "pop". "Pop" is crowd reaction. It can be cheers, or boos. Doesn't matter which. "Pop" is always good.

Think about it. MMA fans will either want to see Lesner fight and win, or fight and get beat...Sort of like Bisping. Lesner's stuff may well start to bring in the sideline and fringe fans that bring money into the sport, as well as exposure. That's how you get ESPN pimping your product.

I will admit I paid lots closer attention to MMA before and after this event. I'm paying closer attention now. I'm not on board completely yet, but, I can see myself edgeing closer.

While I agree Lesnar is good for the sport and helping it grow leaps and bounds, and the first part of your post is spot on, which is why I'd argue that Lesnar isn't playing a character. I'd argue that he's been more 'real' than most other fighters on the UFC roster.

Reason I say that is because during all of the pre-fight smack talk between himself and Mir, Brock seemed genuinely pissed off. And Mir kept antagonzing. To be honest I think Mir was just trying to hype the fight like many fighters do, understanding that it will increase interest and PPV buys, while Lesnar, still new to the sport was taking it all personally.

You could say, well Lesnar just played his heel character and was seeing it all the way through. Well, if I reflect on the Couture fight it says otherwise. Couture had little negative things to say about Brock, so Brock didn't sya to much to Randy. They just got in there and duked it out, far cry from the build up of Lesnar/Mir.

fedor - velasquez.
carwin would lose and then beat mir.
couture - couture.
silvia. herring is a complete joke.
gonzaga already beat cro cop with the most devastating kick basically ever. i'd take cro cop the second time around.
werdum.
arlovski.
vera.
barnett.
mccully but who knows.
sanchez.

thanks for answering too

While I agree Lesnar is good for the sport and helping it grow leaps and bounds, and the first part of your post is spot on, which is why I'd argue that Lesnar isn't playing a character. I'd argue that he's been more 'real' than most other fighters on the UFC roster.

Reason I say that is because during all of the pre-fight smack talk between himself and Mir, Brock seemed genuinely pissed off. And Mir kept antagonzing. To be honest I think Mir was just trying to hype the fight like many fighters do, understanding that it will increase interest and PPV buys, while Lesnar, still new to the sport was taking it all personally.

You could say, well Lesnar just played his heel character and was seeing it all the way through. Well, if I reflect on the Couture fight it says otherwise. Couture had little negative things to say about Brock, so Brock didn't sya to much to Randy. They just got in there and duked it out, far cry from the build up of Lesnar/Mir.

Oh completely I agree with lots of what you've said. Brock wanted that fight bad. While that rage and antagonism is part of him, it was pretty clear to me that he was kicking into showman mode after the fight. Lets tick the blocks....Insult major sponsor, flip off the fans and antagonize them...Yeah. That's Brock the mic trained pro wrestler.

The thing is; He's also just naturally that guy so it's hard to separate the two unless you've seen his WWE schtick which I have.

My Bouts I Want To See for HeavyWeight

Lol Some Are Probably Unrealistic But Tell Me Who Would Win Them

HeavyWeight Brock Vs Fedor KO Or vs Winner Carwin vs Valasquez TKO
HeavyWeight Mir Vs Valasquez Kneebar
HeavyWeight Cheick Kongo Vs Winner of Couture vs Nogueira TK0 (Both)
HeavyWeight Tim Slyvia Vs Heath Herring Decision Unanimous
HeavyWeight Mirko Cro Cop Vs Gabriel Gonzaga Rematch KO HEAD KICK
HeavyWeight Brett Rogers Vs Fabricio Werdum KO
HeavyWeight Andrei Arvlovski vs Junior Dos Santos TKO
HeavyWeight Brandon Vera Vs Mark Coleman TKO
HeavyWeight Josh Barnett Vs Jeff Monson Rematch Decision Split
HeavyWeight Antoni Hardonk vs Justin McCully Armbar
HeavyWeight Eddie Sanchez vs Ken Shamrock Heel Hook

LOL MY PICKS ARE ODD

Oh completely I agree with lots of what you've said. Brock wanted that fight bad. While that rage and antagonism is part of him, it was pretty clear to me that he was kicking into showman mode after the fight. Lets tick the blocks....Insult major sponsor, flip off the fans and antagonize them...Yeah. That's Brock the mic trained pro wrestler.

The thing is; He's also just naturally that guy so it's hard to separate the two unless you've seen his WWE schtick which I have.

Haha no doubt, I think with the booing crowd he had a flashback -- he was in the WWE again for a moment.

would love for ufc to sign lashley i think him and lesner would be an awesome fight down the road

http://mmamania.com/
video halfway down the page.

Floyd Mayweather bashes MMA (yet again) Says MMA is for beer drinkers - says there's no dominant white boxers so they had to go create something else(hi double standard.) -Suggests MMA takes no skill.

http://mmamania.com/
video halfway down the page.

Floyd Mayweather bashes MMA (yet again) Says MMA is for beer drinkers - says there's no dominant white boxers so they had to go create something else(hi double standard.) -Suggests MMA takes no skill.

Id love to see Kenny Florian or someone rip his leg off.

Affliction Trilogy cancelled.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/07/24/affliction.trilogy.canceled/index.html

Little late on this news but Fedor's opponent the supposed #2 ranked HW in the world, Josh Barnett as was mentioned, failed a steroids test and was denied a license to fight.

Too bad, I was looking forward to it.

knew that was coming. hard to find a replacement to fight fedor that quick. too bad, was also looking forward to that bout. maybe we'll see fedor in the ufc quicker than we thought.

Fedor will only fight in the UFC if they co-promote with M1-Global

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15640/fed...demise-opens-ufcs-door-if-terms-are-right.mma

"This the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about," Finkelchtein stated in a recent release issued by his company, M-1 Global. "Fedor and I are here in the States. If they want to come out and fly here, we are ready to conduct negotiations."

------

While Finkelchtein's latest statement seems to lend some hope for that result, the terms of a potential contract may still prove impossible for the UFC to consider.

"Of course, it still doesn't imply we are ready to accept any conditions they'll throw at us," Finkelchtein said. "We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global."

This is an absurd request to me. Basicly Fedor's management is asking the UFC to help a competitor in order for him to fight in the UFC. I can tell you now the UFC won't meet these demands.. so unless they cave we probably won't be seeing Fedor in the UFC.

that is so fugging gay. yeah - the ufc is gonna cave for some other mickey mouse fight league to promote their product. fedor's management needs to take their head out of their *** and get fugging real. this really upsets me because i've been waiting for fedor to showcase his talent on the big boy stage for a long time. now people will just argue in circles as to who would win the ultimate matchup - lesnar or fedor. very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom