Official Undrafted Free Agent Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Undrafted Free Agent Thread

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
This being such an unusual offseason it seems the undrafted free agents haven't been discussed much at all. Besides Pat Devlin I really don't know much about this group. I remember seeing writeups on each pickup last year and was wondering if I missed that or where I can find that information? Would also like to hear from anyone whose seen some of these guys play. My take on Devlin, by the way, is that his skill set is very similar to Chad Pennington. Smart, accurate, quick reads and delivery. Like his throwing motion. Didn't see him challenge deep much and appears to have an average arm. I imagine he could, in time, be a good fit for a Daboll type offense.

I can tell you what I know from watching every Nic Grigsby game in his 4 years at Arizona.

He's a little undersized (on the skinny side), but he is not at all shy about contact. He's a very adept pass catcher out of the backfield and has good moves in space. Lacked top line speed and typically was caught before reaching the endzone, but was definitely a 'chunk yardage' type of player. He ran crazy good at his pro day, but I think that might be a fluke. Not a 'fall forward' type of back due to his size, and so can be easily out-muscled by stronger tacklers. His blitz pick up needs work. Screens and draws are his bread and butter and he executes them very well. Shifty when in space and can definitely make people miss. Not an overly creative runner, if the line gives him a hole, he'll hit it hard, but if the play doesn't develop or develops too slowly, he's unlikely to make anything of it and will be tackled in the backfield. Turns the corner well to get up field quickly and is a weapon in goal line situations as he is not afraid to go between the tackles, but also has the speed to go wide and run towards the pylon. A little bit injury prone in college, but the coaching staff was also a little over cautious with him, especially his Junior and Senior season because they had Antolin and Nwoko as capable backups. If he comes ready to work and his pro day speed holds true, he's a lock to make the roster in my opinion. Definitely should beat out Kory Sheets.

Back
Top Bottom