Votes: 0 0.0%
  • United States

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Help me understand something.

How is it that any AMERICAN, born and raised in the USA, with no ties whatsoever to any other country, can root for another country in the World Cup.

It's way over my head to understand. I can't get past the fact that I know a couple of people who are rooting for Germany in the World Cup for no other reason than Germany is good and the United States is not.

How is it that any AMERICAN, born and raised in the USA, with no ties whatsoever to any other country, can root for another country in the World Cup.

It's way over my head to understand. I can't get past the fact that I know a couple of people who are rooting for Germany in the World Cup for no other reason than Germany is good and the United States is not.

The only reasons I can think of are:
1) gambling (reasonable)
2) they think they have a connection if their great-great g'ma was from there.

i could root for other teams once Germany is eliminated on the basis of Bayern players playing there, like Croatia (Mandzukic, and former player Olic), Spain (Martinez), Brazil (Dante) etc

Could go off favorite players too. Some people would rather see Portugual do good because of Ronaldo or Argentina for Messi. While others just stick with their home country (which is logical) I wouldn't mind seeing Uruguay or England play well just because of the Liverpool ties and would like to see those players on the teams do well. (Although I don't want England to win because my neighbor will never shut up) I of course will root for the USA and hope they win it all and watch every game with passion like I have but no one is expecting them to win it all. I usually tend to root for the Netherlands once US gets canned. But while the US is in it that is all I root for. All depends on the person I guess.

I root for the US all the way....I just don't think our chances are very good. But rooting for the Dolphins I am used to that.
:lol:

I'm an American soccer fan at heart, however with my father being German and him being a hardcore Bayern/German National fan (He used to play racquetball with Gerd Mueller all the time when he was down here with the Strikers), the influence clearly has affected me over the years. On top of that I was in Germany for the 2006 World Cup and the experience was unlike anything else. Those are the 2 teams I root for on the World Cup stage but when both teams play each other in the group round later in this tournament, I will be going for U.S. while my father will be going for Germany.

But yea, many people root for the countries of their favorite players, but I'd say the vast majority base it on the country they are from. A lot of people also just root for Brazil by default as well because of their history and style of play.

You get that a lot in South Florida. So many different nationalities, only 32 teams, and only 9 of those 32 represent the Americas/Carribbean so you will get several people from countries not represented rooting for a team that they rival against in qualification stage but then root for on the big stage. This is very true in South America.

Also remember that most Americans (unless you are native-american) can trace their roots back to Europe (Italians, Germans, British etc.) so it's no wonder that they latch on the European football powerhouses and root for them.

World Cup power ratings

http://soccer.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/06/11/world-cup-power-rankings?xid=si_topstories

WORLD CUP POWER RANKINGS
Ranking the 32 nations competing in Brazil by chances of winning the World Cup.
BRAZIL
Group A opponents: Croatia (June 12), Mexico (June 17), Cameroon (June 23)
Winning the Confederations Cup last summer showed what Brazil can do with home-field advantage. This should be where the host nation picks up its sixth World Cup victory.
ARGENTINA
Group F opponents: Bosnia-Herzegovina (June 15), Iran (June 21), Nigeria (June 25)
Argentina is on the opposite side of the knockout bracket from Brazil, which could set up an epic final. This team is much more than just Lionel Messi, and it should make it to the showcase match before falling to the Seleção.
GERMANY
Group G opponents: Portugal (June 16), Ghana (June 21), United States (June 26)
No matter the state of the German national team, it always expects a deep run in major tournaments. Group G will be challenging enough to set the Germans up well for the knockout rounds, but die Mannschaft should challenge for its fourth World Cup in Brazil.
SPAIN
Group B opponents: Netherlands (June 13), Chile (June 18), Australia (June 23)
For once, the pressure is off Spain, holder of the World Cup and previous two European Championships. La Furia Roja’s crop of aging stars aren’t expected to win this time — but it’s Spain, which means it’s still a distinct possibility.
BELGIUM
Group H opponents: Algeria (June 17), Russia (June 22), Korea Republic (June 26)
A couple years ago, Belgium went from being a team that could surprise in Brazil to a team that is widely expected to perform. A superior youth development system, aided by Belgium’s geography, has quickly brought the nation of 11 million people to the upper tier of world football.

Ha! Oh man. Better get guards to his house if they somehow lose this match.

Nah not Marcelo, that dude's a goon he'll be alright.

Brazil came out sloppy, especially on defense and Croatia isn't scared. Should be a fun watch through the rest of the match.

No **** Gonzo the citizens are already rioting over all the money spent on this. An early Brazil exit might really make things ugly and even threaten the Olympics. I would not want to be the player or referee that contributed to the loss. Your life would definitely be in danger.

Back
Top Bottom