officially joining the mike wallace bandwagon....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fanfin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

been a big fan of Greg (still am) but I think I'm switching over to Wallace. Our offense has lacked explosive plays since I can remember... Younger, only missed 1 game in his career... and for those who say Wallace is a one trick pony... Wallace is a way bigger threat to catch a slant and go 70 then greg is.. with that said won't complain about either! GO PHINS PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME BABY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56aIsZ3hOo

2. Smith21

Smith21 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

heres an idea.. we have a Relatively Cheap QB the next few years. Lets use that extra money to sign both of these guys.

3. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

so what we sign Wallace, Greg, and Finley/ Keller and they dance around the 50 yard line? Dolphins big 3?lmao serious tho if it were possible I would be down but Wallace will want atleast 9-11 annually and Greg will want 8-10... so Wallace 5 year 60 million, Greg 3 year 24 million would leave us with 31 million available plus more if we cut/ restructure Carpenter, Marshall, Patterson.... not sure we can get both, others need a WR too

4. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

5. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

a big staple of the WCO is flanker drive.. for those unfamiliar the WR can either come in motion or not and runs a drive route right behind the defensive ends heels and keeps running vs man coverage and sits down vs zone... Wallace is so fast the thought of him running this play is almost a guranteed 1st down.. he is also a very under rated jump ball guy and comes down with quite a few 50/50 balls

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

6. King Dingaling

King Dingaling Well-Known Member

I think Jennings is the better fit for the offense, but the more I think about it, the more I think we should target Wallace first. I would love to sign both cause it would give us more options in the draft. It would allow us to draft other positions early instead of reaching on a WR at #12 or #42. If we only sign Jennings, we would still have to draft a WR early that can stretch the field. We would have our burner if we signed Wallace. This option allows us to draft a possession type WR with playmaking ability. I guess I would be fine with either scenario as long as it doesn't include signing Hartline!!!

7. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

If you read the whole article, the most troubling stat (and there are a few) on there is that less than half of his catches get first downs.

8. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

as much as I'm opposed to it.. I think we might be bringing Hartline back.... if Tavon Austin makes it to #42 we run our pick to the comish. I could live with Wallace/ Greg + Hartline + Tavon+ Bess but could u imagine Wallace + Greg + Tavon + Bess....

9. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

no I actually didn't, just don't have a whole lot of respect for Bleacher Report

10. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

Wallace should be the #1 taret. Draft Patterson in the 1st rd make him and Wallace, starting wr's with Bess in the slot. Then draft Terence Williams from Baylor and keep Matthews on board from last year. With those wr's, you add size and speed.

11. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

check out my mock titled "does it hurt to dream" on the main forum, you will love it

12. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

WHY GO AFTER ANOTHER SHORT WR in Austin /? THATS WHATS WRONG NOW , we need big fast WRs not short ones , a tall CB can blanket a short WR and theres noway to throw the football over the top of a tall CB when your WR IS SHORTER THAN THE CB THATS ON YOU. I SAY PASS ON AUSTIN . GET BIGGER ,FAST AND REAL SKILL WRs like a megatron tall or fritz with good speed , then we would be in business .

13. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

In this environment where 2/3rds of teams are cutting players, getting primed for the draft and get younger, and only 3 teams, one of which already has a star receiver in Green, will get Wallaces feelings hurt a little IMO.

The league is in salary cap stalemate here. So the two obvious teams are us and Cleveland IMO. Some team will cut players and maybe make a play. Thats fine, let those teams put up that kind of money. Philbin clearly stated he is not going to sign some guy looking for a big contract. So they will bring him in, say he is worth about 10 mil, he will walk, go to cleveland, they will be desperate enough to give this guy all he wants but then he is looking at brandon weedon or whoever the new regime brings. It stinks of a guy who is not really looking to better a football team, but is only looking out for himself. That is not a guy Philbin will bank on. key word being bank.

So Jennings, a humble man making money on old spice commercials, will be sitting close by with Philbin and they will be talking. So I think that Wallace will not be a dolphin in the end. He clearly has made himself to look selfish and today's market is ripe for unselfishness. Some players will get their feelings hurt.

Which is why anyone who balks at Hartline making 5 mil should rethink. He lacked TD's. yeah, but that can change with more power on this offense. Just like Tannehill needs more playmakers, so does Hartline.

14. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

I think Wallace's "struggles" in the west coast offense had more to do with how Ben Roethlisberger played in the west coast offense. Roethlisberger was clearly uncomfortable in it, openly criticizing Todd Haley most of the season. Roetlisberger and Wallace were also injured and different times during the season.

15. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I like Jennings

16. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Sign Wallace and draft Cordarelle Patterson. Then either sign Jennings or resign Hartline.

Wallace, Jennings, Patterson, Bess would be disgusting.

17. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

It's so intriguing that we can ALL see that if this coaching group makes the correct choices (no one knows what those are until it all plays out) that our team will be thrust into an "Era of Good Feelings" and we will become competitive once again.
    Jesus, don't ya'll just feel like we are right there at the tipping point?

18. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

Ben was an MVP candidate before missing those 3 games. 63%, 3200yds, 26td-8int. That's pretty good for 13 games of being 'uncomfortable'.

And this is not just 2012; Wallace was not productive in the second half of 2011 either. Over the last 8 games of 2011, he caught 29 balls for 393yds and 3tds; then in their playoff game he caught 3 (on 10 targets) for 26yds.

He has not been a reliable player in his last 24 games. He's had only 2 100-yd games in that stretch.

But yea, this is probably a case of: if you like Wallace as a phin, you'll blame his statistical falloff on other people; i'm not a fan of him as a #1 WR, so I blame his recent lack of production mostly on him.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  19. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

At first I thought they should get Wallace, but I have decided that Jennings is a better choice. He is a natural in this offense, there are no character concerns and he'll cost about $3 million less. The age doesn't bother me, neither do the injuries.

20. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

I am on the Jennings Bandwagon. Wallace is not worth $11-$13 Million

21. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

And you'd still have an offensive line that plays like crap

22. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Just Wallace + Hartline is just not going to cut it.

1) Grab Wallace (and/or Jennings)
    2) Grab Finley or Jared Cook
    3) Draft Patterson in the 1st
    4) Draft the best WR available in the 2nd or 3rd.
    5) Draft O-line and CB's with the other picks (2 - 4) (depending on Long walking or cutting Incgnito)

So we end up with Wallace, Patterson, Rogers/Bailey/Austin/Swope, Hartline (or not), Matthews, Bess, Binns....at WR.
    ...and Cook, Clay, Egnew at TE.

We basically need a whole new WR core. Let's stop playing around folks...we were 27th in scoring offense!

23. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

Look at Wallace beast on an end-around at 3:30.. stoked ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSOlJCoZmTI

At the end of the day I'm happy with any of the 3 WRs. All 3 are #1 talents in my opinion.

Some may argue that Wallace isn't, due to his production this last season but like I said in a post on another thread - The Steelers have been on a steady decline since the end of the 2011 regular season when they lost 3-4 and then put up the snoozer in Denver that I don't even want to think about. And 2012 was even worse with all of the injuries they suffered, they looked like **** to say the least...

They are old and injured at most positions and that affects the WRs. It's not fair to give Wallace a total pass but it needs to be taken into account. He's a #1 WR and not as one dimensional as some people here think. I've watched loads of highlight videos and he runs more than 2-3 routes like some here claim he does...

24. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Pass on both. Otherwise it will be severely overpaying for over-valued players. It'll just keep us down the path of mediocrity.
    Just say no to the path of mediocrity!

25. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

As I have said, I would have no problem with any of the big three (Even though I hear Bowe may never get to taste FA), but again, IMO the best scenario is to bring in Jennings, draft 2 receiver in the 1st 5 picks to slowly learn from Jennings, and try to sign Hartline to a sensible contract. Miami needs smart reliable receivers, not receivers that are explosive but not as reliable.

26. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

He finished this past year with 64 catches 856 yards and 8 TD that's not bad for a guy learning a new system.

27. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

The problem with Relying on two first young receivers is that they rarely make an impact in their first year, so fans will have to be patient and hopefully they develop into playmakers in the next year or two. And dolphins fans aren't patient.

28. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Very true, but I really think with Jennings, Hartline, and Bess, Miami would have enough talent to move the ball. Hopefully one of the receivers we take has very good speed, and could help stretch the field as he learns the position.

29. finsfan007

finsfan007 Member

Could all this mike Wallace talk be a smoke screen?

30. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Unless Todd Haley learned how to run the west coast offense during the 2012 off-season, the Pittsburgh Steelers did not run the west coast offense last season.