Offseason MLB rumors | Page 48 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

UCFinfan86 said:
The rumor du jour concerning the Mariners had the Giants, Red Sox and Mariners working on a three-team deal. The Mariners would wind up with Manny Ramirez to play left field, the Giants would get Richie Sexson to play first base and the Red Sox would get closer J.J. Putz and center field prospect Adam Jones, among others. Seattle would, under one scenario, also land starting pitcher Noah Lowry.

I've seen this on another site.

The Mariners would be raping everyone.

According to several industry sources, the Orioles have had serious discussions about a deal that would send second baseman Brian Roberts and pitching prospect Hayden Penn to the Atlanta Braves for power-hitting first baseman Adam LaRoche and second baseman Marcus Giles. The deal has "several hurdles," according to a source familiar with the trade talks, with a major one being Peter Angelos' preference to keep Roberts, who has long been a favorite of the Orioles' owner. As of late last night, a club source said it's very unlikely that the deal would get approved.

Casual interest in Jason Jennings has graduated to concrete proposals with the Rockies considering a three-way trade with the Cubs and Pirates involving young pitchers and outfielders Jacque Jones and Brad Hawpe. The Cubs offered Jones, who formally requested a trade at season's end, and pitcher Carlos Marmol or Angel Guzman for the Rockies' opening-day starter. Under one scenario, the Rockies, who prefer Marmol, would keep Jones and ship Hawpe to the Pirates for starter Paul Maholm. ... Jennings' situation remains fluid. The Astros - Taylor Buchholz likely would be requested by the Rockies, with outfielder Chris Burke unavailable - and Rangers (reliever C.J. Wilson is attractive) are in the mix.

The Red Sox are expected to meet soon with the Milwaukee Brewers to inquire about the availability of their former closer Derrick Turnbow. They also were expected to meet with the representatives for free agent reliever Doug Brocail. Epstein could not say when the Red Sox will have finalized their search for a new closer. “We’ll definitely have a closer by Opening Day, but we’ll likely have one before the month is over,†Epstein said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2006/12/04/1205braveswinter.html
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2006/12/04/1205braveswinter.html

According to someone who was at the meeting, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti told his people yesterday morning that a deal with the Red Sox for Manny Ramírez was "the longest of long shots." One Dodgers official rated the chances of a deal "at 5 percent . . . at best."

Dontrelle Willis isn't going anywhere. That's what the Florida Marlins are telling anyone who inquires about the personable and gifted lefty. The Yankees did call and so did the Mets and they were both told the same thing. At long last, the Marlins - this time with the direct involvement of commissioner Bud Selig - are making progress on getting a new stadium deal in downtown Miami, which would preclude any more payroll-dumping by them. Besides, Willis isn't costing them a whole lot right now and they have him under control for two more years.

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said yesterday that after tomorrow, a trade of Manny Ramirez is “not going to take much more of this team’s energy. We’ll strictly be listeners. We can’t spend all our time trying to trade our elite position players.†By Thursday, most, if not all, of the 30 teams who have gathered at these winter meetings will have begun to leave. As of last night, none made an offer for Ramirez that the Red Sox consider good enough to move one of the best right-handed run producers in major league history. “There hasn’t been anything on the 5-yard line (with Ramirez),†said Epstein. “After Wednesday, we want to have a clear purpose. (Ramirez trade talks are) not limiting our progress but we’ll flush out the major trade market by Wednesday and move on.†By publicizing that they are going from “explore†to “listen-only†mode, the Red Sox not only showed that they needed to proceed with other moves but they also sent a clear signal to teams they had better sweeten their offers soon, at least, if they are serious of landing Ramirez.

Dodgers manager Grady Little, the Red Sox-ex, had his comments from Santo Domingo filter north. In essence, Little said he wants the Dodgers to make a trade for Manny Ramirez. “I know how to handle Manny Ramirez,†said Little. “I respect him as a player and he was a marvelous ballplayer in Boston. There aren’t many like him and the Dodgers need a player of his stature. Manny would be a great Christmas present. Who wouldn’t want a gift like that?†The Angels have long been known to be a favored destination for Ramirez, and the Angels clearly could use his bat, not in the least for the protection it would provide Vladimir Guerrero. But there are indications that Angels owner Arte Moreno may be becoming impatient with the speed at which GM Bill Stoneman works and that Moreno may press for Stoneman to speak with the Red Sox about Ramirez. It is believed Angels manager Mike Scioscia, though, is not a proponent of acquiring players with questionable attitudes or work ethics.

mjwenz said:
I've seen this on another site.

The Mariners would be raping everyone.

Hell ya, Adam Jones is a good prospect, but not the elite type. Plus JJ Putz had one good year where he took over as closer half way through the year

How the hell does Seattle plan to trade Sexson, Jones, and Putz as the main pieces and end up with Manny and Lowry, i thought it was ridiculous as well

UCFinfan86 said:
Hell ya, Adam Jones is a good prospect, but not the elite type. Plus JJ Putz had one good year where he took over as closer half way through the year

How the hell does Seattle plan to trade Sexson, Jones, and Putz as the main pieces and end up with Manny and Lowry, i thought it was ridiculous as well

Jones and Putz have a lot of value on the open market. Jones is a stud prospect and Putz is a cheap, effective closer. Sexson, well, he puts up big numbers.

As far as the Bannister-Burgos deal, I know the Mets have some arms to replace, but for a team starving for starting pitching, this doesn't seem to make the most sense.

RWhitney014 said:
Jones and Putz have a lot of value on the open market. Jones is a stud prospect and Putz is a cheap, effective closer. Sexson, well, he puts up big numbers.

As far as the Bannister-Burgos deal, I know the Mets have some arms to replace, but for a team starving for starting pitching, this doesn't seem to make the most sense.

Jones isn't a stud prospect. Putz is overrated.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Yankees need to keep A-Rod and stay out of this ridiculous market. Aside from getting Pettitte, I'm content with going into next season with what we got. Call me crazy but I am!

Yep. And I have no problem with Andy Phillips playing 1B also.

No need to get anyone by April. Let's give Andy Phillips half a year, if he fails. Get a 1B at the trade deadline.

Ray Finkle said:
Just using it as leverage. One of the starters will be traded by Opening Day.

Javier Vazquez to the Mets if the Mets don't land Zito.

BANK ON IT!

unifiedtheory said:
I heard something about the Blue Jays offering Ted Lilly $40 million over 4 years and Lilly's agent called it "competative".

If giving Lilly $10 million per is "competative", what the hell is Zito going to get?

Zito is getting $17 mill.

The Rangers will give him 7 years. Which for a pitcher is a joke on every level. Only an idiot owner would do that.

The Mets will match the $17 mill, they just won't do 7 years and I don't blame them. They will do 4 or 5 years.

And if Pettite backs out on the Yanks..........Lilly will wind up in NY most likely. That is why Lilly's agent is keeping all the doors open. He is waiting for the Yanks to bust open the vault.

I just came across this:

3-way involving Seattle, Atlanta and San Francisco.

Seattle gets:
Tim Hudson
Adam LaRoche

SF gets:
Richie Sexson

Atlanta gets:
Rafael Soriano
Armando Benitez

mjwenz said:
I just came across this:

Seattle gets:
Tim Hudson
Adam LaRoche

SF gets:
Richie Sexson

Atlanta gets:
Rafael Soriano
Armando Benitez

Never a good idea to swing a deal in which you give up a good MLB starter and a 30 HR 1B for an over-the-hill reliever and a very good set-up guy. Soriano's great and would be a nice acqusition for the Braves, but he's not worth Hudson and LaRoche.

I don't think Putz' .92 WHIP, 11.35 K/9, 1.49 BB/9, 104/13 K/BB, and 2.30 ERA are overrated. But that's just me. And his career minor league ERA is 3.47. His career major league ERA is 3.47. He's consistent, reliable, has good stuff, no major injury history, and just gets the job done. And when he doesn't, the insult for a blown save is built into his name.

As far as Adam Jones goes, I tend to pay attention when a 21 year-old is posting an .800+ OPS in AAA. He's a freakish athlete who hits for power, average, has speed, has a strong glove and a good arm. This is what we call a 5-tool player, and he's going to be a good one.

In fact, add in Jeff Clement, and Jones, Clement, and Putz or Soriano is the only possible deal left on the table of possibilities that I would trade Dontrelle Willis for. One-stop shopping right there.

mjwenz said:
I just came across this:

Seattle gets:
Tim Hudson
Adam LaRoche

SF gets:
Richie Sexson

Atlanta gets:
Rafael Soriano
Armando Benitez

Just my opinion but that looks like a GREAT deal for the M's if Huddy can stay in one piece.

MikeO said:
Zito is getting $17 mill.

The Rangers will give him 7 years. Which for a pitcher is a joke on every level. Only an idiot owner would do that.

The Mets will match the $17 mill, they just won't do 7 years and I don't blame them. They will do 4 or 5 years.

And if Pettite backs out on the Yanks..........Lilly will wind up in NY most likely. That is why Lilly's agent is keeping all the doors open. He is waiting for the Yanks to bust open the vault.

Your'e right....7 years for ANY pitcher, I don't care who they are is insane. Even though Zito has never missed a start he is one curveball away from Tommy John...hell, any pitcher is...

Back
Top Bottom