OLB's / Pass Rushers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OLB's / Pass Rushers

Elliott 1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Could Quentin Coples play OLB in a 3-4??

What about Cam Johnson and some of the other bigger DE's in this year's draft??

Why is Andre Branch all over the place? I have seen him projected from the 1st to 4th round?

What do you see as the best moves the Dolphins could make to improve the pass rush?

It all depends on who the coach is and what defensive scheme he wants to run.

after reviewing a good amount of coples tape and the bowl game if you hear steps its me moving away from coples as a candidate for our top pick...

i'm definitely not seeing coples as a 34 fit...not seeing enough explosion and burst to warrant a top 10 pick even as a 43 end...things he should be getting to if he was that caliber athlete and short area burst player he's not...and he looks awfully straight linish to me and has some real stiffness in his hips...slow with his redirect...to me he looks like another guy who's gotten too damn big...like daquan bowers last year and lost some of his explosion...he's listed at 6 ft 6 and 290 lbs...

if we're talking top 10 pick edge pass rusher show me some high end rush tools...you need to pop off the tape for me...when he gains the edge on the tackle he's too stiff to turn and open his hips and straight line to the qb he has to make a very wide turn...power player but lacks explosion...i don't see aldon smith or jpp level athlete here

Re: Branch. Good question on why he is all over the board. I suspect he is being underrated as he was coming out of high school. He was a 2 star by most recruiting services, but has lit it up in college. I'd take him in the 2nd rd without hesitation. He can bring it from the edge. He has the skills and size to be the strong side LB in a 3-4 and play every down. He would upgrade our D in a major way. Why round 2 then? Because I think we can steal him there.

I wouldn't touch Coples where the Phins will be drafting. He doesn't have a great motor and from what i've seen he doesn't show great change of direction or explosion. I don't see him being an elite pass rusher like Peppers or Mario Williams or being able to play OLB and playing in space. To me, he only fits the 4-3 teams. I think quality left tackles in the NFL will handle him and whoever drafts him should move to him to LDE position.

branch is buyer beware imo...

"imo". I think that says it all. Have you watched the guy play? Do you know his size and speed? I have watched him extensively. He is 6'4", 260lb, 4.6-4.7 speed. He has 16 TFL and 10.5 sacks this year,73 total tackles. I think he translates to a 3-4 strongside OLB just fine, but the speed at the combine matters, of course.

"imo". I think that says it all. Have you watched the guy play? Do you know his size and speed? I have watched him extensively. He is 6'4", 260lb, 4.6-4.7 speed. He has 16 TFL and 10.5 sacks this year,73 total tackles. I think he translates to a 3-4 strongside OLB just fine, but the speed at the combine matters, of course.

branch has one year of high end production...his senior year...thats called a red flag...and yeah i've seen him plenty...he wore out the va tech tackle in blacksburg

i don't think he's the uber explosion athlete you make him out to be either...he's not someone i'm looking at with my high 2nd round pick i know that

branch has one year of high end production...his senior year...thats called a red flag...and yeah i've seen him plenty...he wore out the va tech tackle in blacksburg

i don't think he's the uber explosion athlete you make him out to be either...he's not someone i'm looking at with my high 2nd round pick i know that

He played behind Ricky Sapp his 1st two years at Clemson.

Again, I say the combine is the big issue him. There aren't many in college who would project to Stongside OLB 3-4 in college. Only a very few can meet the size and speed requirements. Misi meets the size numbers but is a little slow and can't bring pressure. There aren't many Lawrence Taylors out there. I think Branch will not be an NFL AllPro, but he could bring everything Misi does and provide pressure from the other side to balance Wake. Vinny Curry of Marshall is the only other player that I would look at in the 2nd round to fill that spot. Either in the 3rd rd is a no brainer to me.

oh yeah ricky sapp...who has been trash in the pros...and no thanks on vinny curry...

And I was not in favor of drafting Ricky Sapp, so I don't get your point there. If we don't get an OLB to replace Taylor we are in trouble. Like it or not, one will be drafted if we don't sign one in FA.

fair enough...i'm just not much of a fan of the edge pass rusher class options period...don't like curry don't like branch...i like bruce irvins tools don't like his size don't like coples in a 34 period

i like the depth better elsewhere...

What about Sammy Brown in the mid-rounds??

Has anybody seen Jake Bequette play?

They are going to have to have to pick up some depth at least. I like the idea of adding FA Kroy Bierman. With Taylor retiring and Trusnick being worthless and Ike Francis being clueless, this is an area that is going to need some serious attention.

I would expect our division rivals to eat up all the good prospects in the first three rounds. Bills,Jets, and Patriots all need pass rushers.

kroy bierman has got some pass rush talent...he's underrated imo...not sure i like him though as a 34 olb but i do think he could help us in 4 man pass rush fronts...

Back
Top Bottom