Olivier Vernon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olivier Vernon

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts as to how well Olivier Vernon performed in his rookie season?

Had decent season but don't know if he can be that 2nd tormenting Pass Rusher we have been searching for since like forever and ever and ever....

Another case of Good but not great?

Had decent season but don't know if he can be that 2nd tormenting Pass Rusher we have been searching for since like forever and ever and ever....

This. He seemed to be in the right place a lot. I'm definitely happy to have him. You can never have enough pass rushers. I'll give him another season before I make any judgements.

He´s young...remember what age CamWake was when he got his 1st NFL sack? Well, Vernon is over that, and made plays ALL OVER THE PLACE in STs....Great future hopefully!!!

I have high hopes for this boy. I honestly would love to be in a situation like the Colts are with Freeney and Mathis with Wake and Vernon

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 and had 15 sacks, 87 total quarterback "disruptions" (sacks + hits + hurries), 3 forced fumbles, 3 tackles for a loss, 1 pass defense, and 53 total tackles. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, and having little regard on any other pass rusher on the team. Wake IS the standard and not just for the Dolphins.

Vernon, this season, rushed the QB 289 times, with 3.5 sacks, 7 hits, 11 hurries, 1 FF. This isn't anything even average for a pass rusher, but for a slow footed rookie playing in limited snaps, who is still learning his position - he did well enough for where he was picked. He is still learning behind Wake and if he drops some weight to improve his speed, he could be a beast with his strength and "heavy" hands, which is above average. Also, he was a highlight reel on Special Teams by himself and was selected to the Pro Football Focus ALL AFCE Team for special teams.

I like Vernon and think he will be much improved as a pass rusher in the next few seasons. I still think we add more pass rushers regardless though...

Vernon also missed a season of college ball before being drafted. His effort was there all year, now he just needs to add technique and experience and he'll be a solid contributor. I like him.

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 and had 15 sacks, 87 total quarterback "disruptions" (sacks + hits + hurries), 3 forced fumbles, 3 tackles for a loss, 1 pass defense, and 53 total tackles. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, and having little regard on any other pass rusher on the team. Wake IS the standard and not just for the Dolphins.

Absolutely! No question.

What I'm really interested to see is if they work him some at Linebacker in camp/preseason. I do think there's a skill set there that could be exploited/developed in the backer area and at times late in the season he did line up in the 2nd level.

I thought he was a real reach at the time of the pick he was so green plus had been injured in college already. Not a good sign but he showed up way past my expectations. You see so many Miami players palying at a high level throughout the leaque and few over the many year playing for Miami I say its about time we grabbed a couple last year and hope there are a couple more like them this year to grab.

I love the kid. The best ST player we've had in a very long time. Hopefully he sheds that tweener status and grows into a substantial role on the D, but even if he just remains a dynamo on ST he'll still be well worth the pick.

Vernon, this season, rushed the QB 289 times, with 3.5 sacks, 7 hits, 11 hurries, 1 FF. This isn't anything even average for a pass rusher, but for a slow footed rookie playing in limited snaps, who is still learning his position - he did well enough for where he was picked. He is still learning behind Wake and if he drops some weight to improve his speed, he could be a beast with his strength and "heavy" hands, which is above average. Also, he was a highlight reel on Special Teams by himself and was selected to the Pro Football Focus ALL AFCE Team for special teams.

I like Vernon and think he will be much improved as a pass rusher in the next few seasons. I still think we add more pass rushers regardless though...

And HOLDING him EVERY play as well!

Vernon was just another one in a really good rookie class for us. The question is can he transform promise/potential into consistent onfield production?

Back
Top Bottom