Olivier Vernon

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CRIOS, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Any thoughts as to how well Olivier Vernon performed in his rookie season?

2. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Well worth his third round selection.

3. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Had decent season but don't know if he can be that 2nd tormenting Pass Rusher we have been searching for since like forever and ever and ever....

Another case of Good but not great?

4. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

This. He seemed to be in the right place a lot. I'm definitely happy to have him. You can never have enough pass rushers. I'll give him another season before I make any judgements.

5. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

He´s young...remember what age CamWake was when he got his 1st NFL sack? Well, Vernon is over that, and made plays ALL OVER THE PLACE in STs....Great future hopefully!!!

6. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

I will eagerly watch his development.

7. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

I have high hopes for this boy. I honestly would love to be in a situation like the Colts are with Freeney and Mathis with Wake and Vernon

8. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 and had 15 sacks, 87 total quarterback "disruptions" (sacks + hits + hurries), 3 forced fumbles, 3 tackles for a loss, 1 pass defense, and 53 total tackles. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, and having little regard on any other pass rusher on the team. Wake IS the standard and not just for the Dolphins.

Vernon, this season, rushed the QB 289 times, with 3.5 sacks, 7 hits, 11 hurries, 1 FF. This isn't anything even average for a pass rusher, but for a slow footed rookie playing in limited snaps, who is still learning his position - he did well enough for where he was picked. He is still learning behind Wake and if he drops some weight to improve his speed, he could be a beast with his strength and "heavy" hands, which is above average. Also, he was a highlight reel on Special Teams by himself and was selected to the Pro Football Focus ALL AFCE Team for special teams.

I like Vernon and think he will be much improved as a pass rusher in the next few seasons. I still think we add more pass rushers regardless though...

9. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Vernon also missed a season of college ball before being drafted. His effort was there all year, now he just needs to add technique and experience and he'll be a solid contributor. I like him.

10. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Absolutely! No question.

11. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

What I'm really interested to see is if they work him some at Linebacker in camp/preseason. I do think there's a skill set there that could be exploited/developed in the backer area and at times late in the season he did line up in the 2nd level.

12. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I thought he was a real reach at the time of the pick he was so green plus had been injured in college already. Not a good sign but he showed up way past my expectations. You see so many Miami players palying at a high level throughout the leaque and few over the many year playing for Miami I say its about time we grabbed a couple last year and hope there are a couple more like them this year to grab.

13. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

I love the kid. The best ST player we've had in a very long time. Hopefully he sheds that tweener status and grows into a substantial role on the D, but even if he just remains a dynamo on ST he'll still be well worth the pick.

14. Sunny Fish

Sunny Fish FinHeaven VIP

And HOLDING him EVERY play as well!

15. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Vernon was just another one in a really good rookie class for us. The question is can he transform promise/potential into consistent onfield production?

16. doubleg4

doubleg4 Member

too early to tell.. good but does he have the ability to be an every down player. we will know by year two.

17. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

He's Cam WAKE's backup. We need Cam Wake's fellow starter on the other side.

18. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

a better version of Crowder.i did like Crowder and he got a lot of heat from this sight.perhaps being a gator didnt help him either

19. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Exactly what I'd expect from a 3rd rounder. A decent situational player with good ST play that could develop into a solid full time starter within a few years.

20. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

He was a hell of a lot better than our other 3rd round pick.

21. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

i was miffed by the pick.

i think he did well considering.

hope he is in the weight room as we speak. most players take few yearsto shine. jason taylor was very raw coming out. this is how i think of ansah. i think he could be huge in 3-4 years but willing to wait for that at 12?

thats my take

22. DudeWithSwag

DudeWithSwag Member

He hit the rookie wall.

23. doubleg4

doubleg4 Member

He needs to work on a spin move and upper body strength. We will know more about how he develops after next season.

24. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

I think he has a high motor, and loves to get after the football. Thats the kind of aggressive players we need on defense. He will shine next year.

25. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Just read in Barry Jacksons update that Cam Wake is going to be teaching him some more pass rush moves this offseason. :up:

26. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

I don't think his strength is/was a problem...he just has no moves...he's very basic. Hopefully, Cam can help him with that (or JT can come back and school him a bit).

I think he could be a baller for us by Year 3.

27. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

There are absolutely NO similarities between Olivier Vernon and Channing Crowder, and that's not knocking either guy. Entirely different positions/players.

28. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Olivier Vernon has been miscast by the Dolphins' front office and coaching staff. I thought he might be a little bit better as a pass rusher from end than he ended up being but I think anyone watching him in college should have been able to figure out that he was more of a strong handed run defender as a defensive end, a guy that could be used in a variety of roles yet acquit himself well because of his athleticism. Coming out I thought his best bet in pass rush would be moving inside to play over a guard a la Pernell McPhee/Wallace Gilberry. Otherwise he's a run defending DE/OLB on run downs and that's what he showed in 2012.

I'm not holding my breath on him ever becoming a good pass rusher from end.

29. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

OV had a couple great games in a row blocking kicks , scoring a TD and added a few sacks then I hardly heard his name the rest of the season. The thing he's best at is setting the end with his strength and quickness. i'd like to see them draft a 1st or 2nd round big time pass rusher and use OV to spell Wake and the new guy and on run downs.. He's a 5 or 6 sack guy which is good but not the answer opposite Wake.

30. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Does anybody think Vernon can play linebacker? I remember him dropping back in coverage during that Cincy game and he made an unbelievable recovery on a double move and broke the pass up.
    He looked like he can move in space pretty damn well.
    I'm just curious as to where his ideal position is.
    Is he pretty much a DE/pass rusher going forward?
    Or could it be more of a benefit if he can play one of the OLB spots and provide a pass rush from there?

Obviously we need another rusher opposite Wake.
    But our LB speed has been bothering me for a while too.
    I just wanted to hear some people's opinions on it.

31. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Just read your post after posting mine lol. Exactly the stuff I'm looking for.

If he cannot be the stud rusher we need opposite Wake, do you think he can play LB for us at a fairly high level?
    I didn't see much to be honest, but the times I have seen him in space/coverage, he looked quite natural.
    He seems like a guy with a nose for the football too, something we are lacking at our LB's.

Do you guys think he could step in at Misi's spot and do better?

32. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Bumped cuz I didn't wanna start another thread on Vernon but dude has been ballin of late. He made some big plays against SD our pass rush should huge on that last drive

33. Virginia99

Virginia99 Scout Team

He's in his 2nd season. I think he's been solid to good this year. Tough to tell sometimes on how he's doing against the run, though.

34. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

OV seems to have survived the harassment of teammates OK and is a very good long term prospect.