Omar Jacobs, Devin Hester, etc to Declare

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Boomer, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

According to sources, Bowling Green QB Omar Jacobs is to declare. Huge mistake IMO. AWFUL mechanically, he had a mediocre season and could have done with staying at BG.

In what looks like a bad day for Miami U, Devin Hester, Baraka Atkins and WR Ryan Moore are all set to jump. Moore has been in and out, but apparently its a done deal. Hester is concerned that he won't win a starters CB job and isn't sure what sort of role he'll play on offense. Moore looked a future high 1st rounder as a freshman, but has struggled; Hester could be the most overrated player in the entire selection meeting. Sick return skills, very average coverman. I think he's in for a real shock come draft day.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along.
    Boom.

2. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

Hey Boom,
    What are your predictions about the other top QBs? Quinn & Young? Coming out or no? How do you feel about Cutler? God I am hoping for a QB for christmas!

3. Raekwon The Che

Raekwon The Che Check out the grill...

It's locked up that Moore is leaving, but that's a BIG mistake. I don't understand why Hester would be leaving, he'll be a receiver on the offense but I doubt he'll be a starting one.

If Omar Jacobs leaves, then there is the Dolphin's 1st round draft pick right there.

4. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Young will leave but shouldn't, Quinn will stay.

Jacobs WILL NOT be Miami's 1st round pick.

5. Raekwon The Che

Jacobs would have all that time to develop and he'll just have to work on his throwing mechanics. It can be changed...

Throwing for over 3000yards, 30TDs and 7INTs are mediocre?

6. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

Devin Hester will fail in the NFL.

7. Raekwon The Che

I'd take Jacobs over Cutler, but maybe Miami won't :D

8. dabadguy5937

dabadguy5937 Well-Known Member

wasnt omar jacobs hurt for awhile this season i dont even think he'll go in the first round he seems to have dropt on most peoples mock drafts i heard he was the 3rd best qb at one point and now i hear he's down under the 5th i dont really know to much about the college game but from what i hear i would rather be happy with jay cutler or vince young if we can get them if they come out

9. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

They could be very good undrafted FAs considering they are from Miami. Hester will be lucky if he gets taken in the 6th round. Sure he can return but what else can he do? His covering skills are very average at the college level. Unlimited potential because of his speed but I can't believ he'd come out. He'd be better to take the summer and train at becoming a better corner. Moore could be a good pick in the 5th round or later. He has the talent but the desire always seemed to be in question. Atkins is a pretty good player. Seems like a weird lot to annouce, they would all do better with an extra year in Uni.

10. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

All what time to develop?

11. Caps

Caps At the End of the Day

I think it's a bad idea for Ryan Moore to come out, he seems like a mid-rounder to me. Same with Hester, I don't think he gets his name called until the 2nd. Baraka could be a high pick if he improved and came back next year IMO. Right now I see him in the 2nd or lower. Omar Jacobs I'm not so sure about. I don't think he'll ever surpass his Soph. season with the talent he has around him, so it might be smart for him to get out now while he's still a Day 1 pick.

12. Kobe

Kobe Real as can be...

Hey Boomer, what are your Opinions on Tye Hill. I know the usual hes small and whatnot, but do you think he could be good in the NFL? If so, what round will he go in?

13. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Moore could be a player, but he has maturity and concentration issues. Hester will go on day 1 because of his ability to change field position as a return man. But as a corner.......uh huh. Not a dream that he's a starting CB in the NFL.

Atkins could have done with the extra year, but he can play.

14. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Hill's a good player who should go in the top 60. Some people say 1st round, but I think second as his size hinders him. But he can play.

Not a Miami player though

15. Raekwon The Che

Inside of the NFL :confused:

16. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Hey Boom,

What do you think are the biggest needs of the team and who would be the guy you'd like to see us pick? How about your top three players that we could pick at our current spot?
    I think a Db, LB, or OL. Landry I think because he would need the least adjustment to Saban's system. Greenway or Brooks at LB cause they are both really fast and have the size Saban looks for in a LB. At OL I take MacNeil, hasn't been credited with a sack in Three years playing in the SEC, monster. EDIT or Jean-Gilles, what we talked about on the other thread.What do you think? Left out QB on purpose cause I don't think any QB is worth the first round pick in our position. Cutler is reach, and all the other ones will be gone.

17. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

How long do you think the average 1st round QB gets to develop these days? How long do you think the Miami fans and media give him to develop?

To my mind he needs 3 seasons.

He won't get that.

18. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

Honestly Boom. What more could he do at BG? Hes losing his best WR, he has put up monster years last 2 years(down year this year compared to last), but his stock cant go up from here. No reason for him to stay IMO.

19. Retnuhrace

Retnuhrace Seasoned Veteran

Wow... I could've sworn that I saw about a week or two ago that Hester was thinking about leaving, but Coker convinced him to stay saying that he would have a greatly increased role on OFFENSE next year. Therefore, it was reported that he was definitely staying for his senior season. Hmmm....

20. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Our biggest needs are WR, OT, OG, C, DE, DT, LB, CB and S.

Landry is very undersized for a SS - 187lbs? Not in our system. Greenway and Hawk are great. Love 'em both. Youboty and Huff I like, Ngata, Baba Oshinowo at DT. Jean Gilles, Ferguson, McNeil, Joseph, along the OL. Thomas Howard, Daryn Collegde, etc.

Top 3 picks at 15 for me.....Greenaway, Jean Gilles, Huff.

21. Raekwon The Che

True.

He just a slightly down season AND he was hurt (on his non-throwing shoulder) so that can be accounted for. I don't think he'll need three seasons...

22. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I say we grab Omar if he is around 2nd round.

23. gravyfries

gravyfries Starter

24. Raekwon The Che

Saban drafting a linebacker in the first round when he NEED a QB to start developing to lead this team in the years to come isn't likely.

25. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

As usual mate, you make excellent points, I'd just like to see him go back and really work on the stuff that needs working on without the pressure that being a high round QB brings. He has the talent for sure, but it's frustrating to see him not take that step up.

26. Raekwon The Che

Doesn't matter. Sean Taylor and Winslow said they were staying for their senior season too :shakeno:

27. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

I'm happy in the knowledge of where this information came from.

28. gravyfries

gravyfries Starter

true, but as a cane fan i hope hester is different. i think he has tremendous upside(obviously) and i hope he gets to realize it. he could be an insane weapon if used extensively.

29. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Or reaching for a QB when you could grab yourself an instant starter at LB which is what AJ and Chad are.

30. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

First round pick?!?!? No way. He'll still be around in the second round, there are much better players to pick than Jacobs in the first round.

31. Bellson

Bellson Starter

raekwon, u need to stop hyping Omar Jacobs. Yea he's had half-way decent stats but he should not be coming out this draft. He lacks arm strength and still makes some very poor decisions. The guy is definitely a great athlete but another year of college ball is needed. It will help him develop and tone the necessary skills to play on a professional level.

32. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

You're right, REACHING for Jacobs in the first round would be a horrible mistake.

33. blackthought

blackthought Starter

Hester's going Day 1 based on the fact that he's just a return man, round 3 at least or maybe at best, whichever way you want to look at it. His speed is enough. And don't be surprised if Hester comes to Miami. We need speed like that in our return game. Furthermore, Saban loves big corners and doesn't necessarily ask them to press that much, again his speed in terms of acceleration and reaction would work here too because we play zone.

P.S. you can coach this kid, any team would take him in the third and one of the Super Bowl participants might take him in the second. He’s a project in the fashion of Manuel Wright, with big play potential once the balls in his hand.

34. tucker

tucker Perennial All-Pro

moore and hester should stay...moore came on well and the end of the season but i dunno if he will even be a first day pick...and hester? damn, thats not good...he could use the time to become a quality player on the offensive side...3rd rder for hester?

35. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

The fact that he's a mediocre cover corner who can't win a starting job for next season means more to me than anything. I agree that he'll go on day 1, but SOLELY for his return skills

36. sports24/7

sports24/7 Bleeder of Aqua and Orange

Boomer, I don't see any of these guys even sniffing the first round unless Atkins can really impress in workouts. This is really baffling to me. Where do you see these guys going and if Croyle and Jacobs are sitting there later on who do you take?

37. newlownorder

newlownorder Hoof Hearted

Nailed it on the head. Young will leave, Quinn should stay and will stay and will the #1 pick in the 2007 NFL draft.

38. blackthought

blackthought Starter

Think again. Hester's physical talents mirror the NFL game. Speed on speed, don't touch the WR. Hester is quick at reacting to the ball, and is probably one of the fastest at doing that. Couple that with the fact that he's a return man, he can't fail. Listen someone will coach him up enough to at least make a roster, will he ever get paid the amount of money he deserves for his skill set? Only time will tell. FS wouldn't be a bad position for him either, his speed will make up for his lack of recognition in his early years and eventually he'll learn the position.

39. sports24/7

sports24/7 Bleeder of Aqua and Orange

I love Hester, but I have to agree that he will never be a starter. He has some of the best athleticism I have ever seen, but he just doesnt have great cover skills. I know he tied for the lead in INTs a couple of years ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He tied with Threat and neither of them started for the Canes this year. There is a reason why he wasn't a starter and Marcus Maxey was.

40. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Interesting question on Brodie and Jacobs. I like Brodie, but I don't think he's going to get a great deal better. Good player, but his ability to improve hugely is less than Jacobs whose upside is large, but who has further to go. So with that in mid, I'd take Jacobs I think.

Moore - could go on day 1 if he works really well, but probably day 2, Hester in 3 because of his return skills, Atkins, probably/possibly/maybe day 1.

41. Raekwon The Che

Jacobs mechanics are horrible, but did someone say he doesn't have good arm strength :shakeno:

42. Outrider01

Outrider01 Pimp of the Year

What do you think about grabbing D'qwell Jackson out of Maryland. His stock has fallen maybe enough to snatch him in the second round. I've watched this kid for the past 4 years and he was/is better then Shawn Merriman who will most likely win Defensive rookie of the year.

43. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Super player, but he might be a bit small for us.

44. Dors156

Dors156 He's Backkkkk

first of all i would definately take jacobs rather than leinart.im just gonna get that straight.jacobs could be awsome in our offense with brown and williams and then cc and possibly a wide in the draft.our o-line is good so he wont have it bad.i wouyld take him.:dolphins::dolphins:

45. Dors156

Dors156 He's Backkkkk

nah i think he will be good in the special teams game right when he gets in the nfl. but i think hes a perfect slot corner,if you give him a few years he could be a starter:dolphins:

46. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Thank you #54...

I've said it before...if the Dolphins took Omar Jacobs anywhere before the 5th round I would not have time to start a "WE REACHED FOR JACOBS" thread because I'd be busy throwing myself off the Oak Street Bridge.

47. DorsalPhin

DorsalPhin Starter

A poster from LSU stated before this last draft that we should look for Saban to go after a playmaker in the first round. He took R.Brown.

If I were to guess the 1st pick based on that info, that would 'theoretically' rule out OL and DL in the first. That said, who's the bigger playmaker out of a choice of Huff, Greenway and Hawk?

48. Pocoloco

Pocoloco I'm your huckleberry

You're absolutely right about that. If Quinn or Young come out and are available, you take them in the first round. But if Cutler is there, you don't pass up better players for him. Alot of people are insisting we have to take a QB, any QB, in round 1. They're just plain wrong.

49. TakeIt2DaHouse

TakeIt2DaHouse Starter

what i've been reading if we dont get jay cutler in round 1 we will not get him in round 2 he isnt a secret anymore so lets hope we can get him if not then i really i will be concerned cause i doubt we will have a high enough pick to draft b.quinn next year

50. Pocoloco

Pocoloco I'm your huckleberry

I'd rather trade up to get a better QB, than take 2nd round talent in the 1st