Omar Kelly...does he know?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by fishypete, Mar 13, 2008.

1. fishypete

fishypete FinHeaven Elite

Also check out Dave Hyde's column on the trifecta's approach to rebuilding this team (CLICK HERE). They are clearly starting at the base, which is special teams and depth, and building through the draft. Things change daily, but right now if I'm putting money on who will be pick No. 1 I'm going 1. Jake Long, 2. Vernon Gholston, and 3. Chris Long based on what we're hearing.
    If the Dolphins address the holes on offensive line within the next month I think Long moves down the list. I just don't see them taking a gamble that someone they like and want will be available with the first pick in the second round, so Jake Long is the safety net.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/03/dancing-with-th.html

2. FinFanatic80

FinFanatic80 "In the tuna we trust."

I disagree ... i think Chris Long will be the pick.

3. fishypete

So you don't believe they hear stuff?

4. ajscar15

ajscar15 FinHeaven VIP

I get the feeling that if they are supposedly hearing who we'll be taking number one overall, then they should definitely be hearing whether or not "the Dolphins address the holes on offensive line within the next month."

That is like saying, "well if we cut all of our quarterbacks and don't pick any back up, it's most likely going to be Matt Ryan."

If they know so much about the very secretive number one, then I don't understand how "well, I think this might happen, soooo" can change anything. If they know something, they know sometime...if they're guessing, they're just guessing. I'm thinking it might be the latter.

Who knows though....I'm still hoping for Chris Long though. But, J Long and Gholston are the other two I'd be happy with.

5. fishypete

He states that this is what he's hearing today...things change. If the Dolphins don't address the O-line before the draft...then it appears J. Long will be the pick.

6. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Jake Long, Chris Long, McFadden, Dorsey, Gholston,Matt Ryan and Ellis
    in that order. Gholston may break into the top 5 but not the top 3.

7. ajscar15

ajscar15 FinHeaven VIP

All I'm saying is that we have known for weeks and weeks that we don't have many Offensive Linemen...what changed in the past couple days? He could have said this 3 weeks ago, and it would be no different than today.

We aren't going to find an All-Pro LT or RT in free agency in the upcoming weeks, so to me, it all depends on whether or not the FO feels that there are valuable tackles available with our next picks or not. Whether we go after 50 linemen or 3, this is what will determine whether or not we take J. Long, I think.

And, I really don't think anyone knows anything. We've heard "credible" people from every station and newspaper saying they know it's Ryan, Kiper says he's heard Chris Long, people on here say they've heard Gholston, some say Jake Long, other insiders say they haven't heard Jake long mentioned once, some say we'll offer Ryan and the Longs all contracts and whoever jumps first is the pick, Mort says we like Beck while others say we need Ryan, some even still think Dorsey. The point being that i don't think they'd give Omar Kelly special information that noone else has.

He also says that all these new signings point to us decreasing Ginn's use as a return man....when everyone else sees it as them hoping to get players who can block so Ginn can show off his talents. Who knows...

8. jdang307

jdang307 FinHeaven VIP

Does Omar know what? From what I hear, Omar knows diddley.

9. fishypete

I remember Diddley....:up:

10. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

Omar gets most of his stuff from the VIP.

11. Fingers

Fingers Scout Team

Are you kidding me? He doesn't have his own sources? That's funny....

If that is the case, do VIPers think J. Long will be the No. 1 pick? I still think it is going to be C. Long.

12. padre31

padre31 A True Fan

Well, if we consider that our Dline may be set for running a 3-4, with say Holliday, Ferguson, Starks and Wright as our starters, the question would then be:

Do we go with Lb's, the Olineman or the Secondary or Qb?

There are many "good" Db's this draft,but no Deon Sanders types, Qb looks thin, so it boils down to LB or OLine...

13. fishypete

Please Boomer....is he a card carrying member? :lol:

Me thinks...it may be the other way around...you know what I mean...:winkwink:

14. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Well we certainly need to draft a few o-linemen because we only have 7 players under contract!!

15. Finfanforever

Finfanforever Finfanforever

Pete what about some scouts that say J Long is too slow of foot to be a left tackle??? We need a LEFT tackle...No doubt the Tuna loves lineman and defense...I still think it will be C. Long.

16. fishypete

The problem with scouts are they all think differently...and you have to wonder...who's scout is he...does he work for a team that also is looking for a LT.

J.Long has enough footwork to be a LT...we shouldn't be looking for a ballerina...we should be looking for a road hog...mean SOB...Thats J. Long.

17. late again

late again Pro Bowler

I think they do. However, I think that anything anyone hears right now should be taken with a grain of salt. There is absolutely no way that Parcells (and/or company) is going to give the media any useful information concerning who we will draft. If he were going to do that, he would just call a press conference and come out and announce it himself.

18. fishypete

They know more than the are allowed to tell...I've read that much from them...do they know now what will happen on draft day..no...but thats another story. I have no doubts that many of the local media are in part, of the smoke screen that teams put out this time of year.

19. late again

late again Pro Bowler

What????? I'm sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous. They know more than they are allowed to tell??? Please explain to me this statement. The media enjoys 1st Amendment protection. So who could legally stop them? Or are you really saying that they have information that they are unwilling to share with the public? I would have to say that would be equally ridiculous.
    What would be the FO's motive for sharing pre draft information with the local media?

20. phinzfan21

phinzfan21 A True Fan

I have to agree that the media isn't part of the smokescreen. They will do anything to break a story first.
    Heck the media was giving away valuable info when we started the Iraq war. They went way too far with what they were broadcasting for just anybody to hear.
    I don't think they hold sports to a higher standard of respect.
    =)

21. fishypete

Perhaps you should read some of the local sports writers blogs. Life is a two way street...and their jobs are to acquire news...if they don't play the game this time of year...they will be shut out by the Dolphins...thats why.

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/03/dancing-with-th.html

22. late again

late again Pro Bowler

I must be missing something or else you believe that you're "reading between the lines". But I can't find the "I know something you don't know" part of these blogs.
    Again, the question I posed to you is - what purpose would it serve for Parcells and Ireland to provide any of the media with inside information as to who they were going draft #1 overall? Why would he do that?

23. fishypete

I never said that Parcells gave that away...but they get info that leads them to that point. Last year was the same thing...near the draft...they pointed out who...but they don't come out and say when they knew. If you read Omar Kellys and Armando Salguero's blogs...you'll see.