Omar Kelly: "Ryan Tannehill cannot throw-down the Middle?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ANUFan, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Listening to Dan Selio and on several other occasions this has been one of Omar's biggest criticism against Tannehill. Is he right? Someone, particularly with X's and O's knowledge(Tedd,Hoops, Ck?) can you explain what hes talking about because frankly I just dont see what Omar is claiming.

Sure I can remember him not being accurate to Bess, Clay and Hartline going across the middle.But on the other hand I recall him squeezing it into Clay between three defenders and ALOT more successful throws in the middle of the field to Bess and Hartline, than not. In addition, I'm not even going to entertain the WHO THE HELL ON THIS TEAM CAN EVEN GET DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE FEILD? question

So bottom line what is it Omar is seeing that I'm not?

Thanks

2. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

With the lack of a receiver that can get any seperation past 12 yards he must make a perfect throw. Sorry we don't know what Tannehill can or can't do yet. Let's see what he can do with a good receiver or two then we can decide.

3. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

i say sherman doesn't let him throw in the middle.

4. ANUFan

This is my thinking as well. But I don't know much about the X's and O's of the game so perhaps its a technical aspect that I'm not registering.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

That question was asked and Omars response was because "they" don't trust him!

5. DolfanGator

DolfanGator Rookie

I think he has the ABILITY to do so, but he is hesitant because he can't trust his receivers to make a play/fight for position/ etc.

Also, his balls down the middle look a bit low and off target because his footwork doesn't seem like where it should be. Is that because his short reads are usually his last option and by that time, the pocket is collapsing?

Would you through the ball down the middle, into the teeth of the defense, with Anthony Fasano being your primary target. (The "fast offensive tackle" at this point in his career)

6. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

Regardless, Omar Kelly is a jackass.

7. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Omar makes **** up as he goes to sound like he knows something.

8. ANUFan

I'm in agreement. However I didn't want to dismiss what he's saying, simply because he makes things up and truthfully I don't want the evaluation to be true about Tannehill. Now objectively as possible when I watch other teams make plays down the field usually the players are of the following type or combination:

1) They can win a jump ball
    2) They are very athletic
    3) They are fast

Please correct me if I'm wrong about that observation. If not, who exactly on our team fits that profile?

9. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

down the middle? does this clown ever watch the games?

10. bobw999

bobw999 A True Fan

I turned off Sileo's show when they said Omar would be on. Omar is a straight up clown.

11. Dick Pepperwood

Dick Pepperwood A True Fan

Michael Egnew is the only Clown on this page Dude.

12. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

There is a reason that Omar Kelly will always be a bottom tier local beat writer.

13. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Who's our seam threat besides Bess? None of our tight ends can even make plays at the seam so I don't fault Tannehill for not throwing there. Seems like each time he throws something inside the tight ends bat the ball up in danger for an interception.

14. spiral

spiral Starter

Now I'm not sure if he can't throw it between the hashes but omar is correct in noticing this particular problem with the passing game. I think Tanny still has work to do in a lot of areas, but that's the case with most rookies.

15. Shaman

Shaman Well-Known Member

One of the criticisms of Tannehill pre-draft was that he had some accuracy issues in the middle of the field. I think trying to rectify that is one of the reasons the coaching staff tends to shy away from moving him out the pocket too much. I've also noticed lately that he's sometimes not stepping into his throws or finding a proper space to throw. I'm not sure this is that big of a concern unless it's still occurring a year or two from now.

16. ANUFan

Can you give specifics besides "Omar is correct?" Can you name a "few" plays where the throw was their and Tannehill simple couldn't deliver!

I can only recall two throws he made across the middle that were Bad!

1) Buffalo game towards the end where he threw into triple coverage to Bess and it was behind
    2) Some game(Patriots?) where he lead clay to wide cutting across the middle

For every 2 additional bad throws he made or couldn't make across the middle of the field that were "clearly" his fault I will name you 3 throws that he made that were on the money! This should be pretty easy if you agree with Omar that he's so bad at this task...

Go....

17. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Egnew is a beast

18. ANUFan

Now I definitely agree about he needs to maneuver the pocket better, particularly just by stepping up! However, even you have to admit his pocket presence is night and day from his first game. I dare say at this early stage he already has a better pocket awareness than C.Henne ever did.

19. So Be

So Be A True Fan

For the record, here's what RT has done down the middle.

Over 20 yards- 2-4 for 45 yards.

10-19 yards- 25- 39 for 423 yards, with 2 picks and no TD's.

0-9 yards- 75-110 for 733 yards, with 5 picks and 2 TD's.

His completion percentage and yardage are VG but, there are the picks, although some were not on him.

20. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I saw RT make all kinds of throws down the middle yesterday. WTF Omar. How would Omar know anyways? I thought he was watching line play?

finomenal likes this.
  21. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

For the life of me , I cannot figure out why omar is not sitting in a barber shop somewhere , looking at the classified ads for a job.

22. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

For those that have access to tape or the whole game, there was a part in the game wehre it was a goal line situation 2 weeks ago where it showed RT from the LT angle and you see Bess in the slot and his route was to run a slant across the middle and when I get teh chance ill tell yo guys which part of the game it was so you can see it yourself because I was in awe when I saw it.

It LITERALLY took Bess 3 seconds to get off his line and run to his left at most half a yard NO DAMN JOKE I PROMISE. It total he probably traveled 3 yards MAX in those 3 seconds it was unreal how slow he was to get off the line and the best part was the CB was ahead of him the ENTIRE way and the worst part is when i think RT got sacked so lets asy total of 4 seconds game time, Bess at the end of the sack was still in the same 3 yards. Then I rewinded it to see Hartline to compare it to Bess and he probably went 3 yards off the line 1 sceond faster than Bess. I wondered to myself as a QB if i saw my slot man travel only 3 yards in 3 second I would literally question how I signed a contract with this team.

23. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Its hard to throw down the middle of the field when your best option is Anthony Fasano. We must have the smallest most unathletic receivers in the entire NFL. People are talking about that Bess overthrow, it would have been a TD if Bess didn't have 5 second 40 speed. Tannehill threw to the open spot, its his receivers job to get there. If he had put less air under that throw it probably would have been intercepted or batted down.

24. spiral

spiral Starter

First off I said the passing game has trouble exploiting the middle of the field. Which includes all members of the offense, including Tanny. I will say that there seems to be a lack of emphasis on attacking the middle of the field. It seems that 70% of all throws are outside the hashes. This would be a great stat to compare against, btw. I know that Fasano isn't going to get a single Pro-Bowl vote, but he was serviceable when Chad Pennington was our QB. Matter of fact, he was good then partly because we utilized him in the middle of the field. I'll also say that until we can figure out a way to start hitting this huge space of real estate up for consistent yardage, we're not going to improve as an offense.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

omar dropping more ignorance...

26. So Be

So Be A True Fan

20+ yards- Left- 3 for 16, middle- 2-4, and right- 12-23

10-19 yds- Left- 11 for 18, middle- 25 for 39, and right- 13 for 29.

0-9 yards- Left- 23 for 34, middle- 75 for 110, and right- 33 for 45.

Combined- 37 for 68 to the right, 102 for 153 in the middle, and 58 for 97 to the right.

So, RT has thrown 165 time to both sides, and 153 to the middle, not counting the throws behind the line.

27. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Thanks for the research. The 4 attempts 20+ yds down the field in the middle is alarming. This is where Gronkowski, Graham, Hernandez, Finley, etc make their money. Unfortunately Fasano is just too slow and unathletic that he can't do anything. Whatever athleticism he had when he first got here seemed to be zapped and he is now strictly a blocking tight end. This has to be our top need in the offseason. Finding either a big bodied receiver or fast tight end.

28. ANUFan

wow

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the kid threw dimes over outstretched dropping zone lbs on in breaking crossing routes in front of the safeties it's not his fault we have no wr who can give us any run after the catch...how bout the first rive of the game throws a ball against a blown coverage where hartline catches has no one but the safety to make miss and it's 6 points and he's got plenty of time and space to make a move and he gets shoe stringed tackled by air pretty much...is that the qbs fault???

how bout having to run vertical fade routes with hartline who can't even win a hand fight down the field with the oppositions nickle damn corner and go up and get the ball...the criticism of tannehill on here is getting rediculous...hell the only td we did have the kid only had one option and that play takes forever to develop it takes stones against that d to stand in there and wait for fasano to come all the way across of the back of the end zone after being in line...stones...on the what 2 yard line...with aldon smith and the fastest lbs in the league ready to kill you....not to mention the most physical safety combo in football also...

and take a look at the personnel groupings in the red zone...there's not a true win option among them...anywhere...no physical force mismatch high point the ball guy or run after the catch break tackles guy...hartline is on the ground after a catch more than any starting wr in the league maybe...he's always going to ground it seems...bess gets stampeded the second he goes north and south...marlon moore is too soft and runs crappy routes pretty much for a guy with that kind of speed...bush runs a vertical boundary route and has goldston draped all over him tanny reads the over the top leverage and throws back shoulder bush doesn't read it right and the balls 5 yards behind him and everyone says the qb screwed up...no it's called option route based on db leverage and coverage and that throw should have been what it was a back shoulder but bush didn't read it right...

this isn't a one read pretty much passing game like that stuff the skins are running this is a very difficult offense for a qb especially with less than a year of working with the wrs heck the best one he has didn't even practice during camp there is gonna be some confusion and some missed throws when you consider the qb and wr is not always gonna see it the same way and heck we don't have a real win option period...this board i tell ya

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  30. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Yeah, last year Gronk averaged 14.7 with Brady with Hernandez at 11.7. Graham was at 14.2 with Brees, and Finley was at 11.5 with Rogers.

What the hell did we have with that slow, over the hill, blocking TE with a backup in Moore throwing to him?

Only a 14.1 average, when he did not have to block for the good of the team. Who woulda thunk it?

31. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

All the other starting WR's of team with rookie qb's house that. Every single one...Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Santana Moss, Pierre Garcon, Sidney Rice and Golden Tate..everyone of them makes that play.

32. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

On 32 catches, he has 30 this year.

33. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

The most annoying part is we had these EXACT conversations a few years ago when we had Ginn and Camarillo as our WR. They were our #1 and #2's and once they left OUR team they were #5 and #6 since then in their careers YET for FIRELAND they were 1 and 2s.

We have the SAME issue again under him, 4 and 5s running as 1s and 2s and Ross thinks there is hope and chagne in this man? **** why did we become Fin Fans.

34. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I have been hammered for my thinking on Fasano. But game tape shows the complete waste of space that is Fasano. 5 year starter, 4 QBs, and still can't hit the 40 rec mark. Henne was handicapped having Fasano as a starting TE. Now its Tannehill who is being handicapped by not having a seam threat at TE.

35. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

No Omar is an idiot. Tannehill had two nice bullet strikes down the middle against SF. Omar is such a deuchbag

36. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

:wrongforum:

37. DolfanDuBbZ~

Keep defending the bum. He hasn't been a weapon in 5 yrs. And only starts in MIA. The arguments you are giving right now, are the same I got from the Chowder people. About how solid he was, how he set up the defense. With all that solid play and knowledge you would think Chowder and his crowd here would be dreading the day MIA would face him in a game. But then those that seen this 'solid' player for what he was, see him, or hear him on radio now. He is a nothing in the NFL today. Something Fasano will soon find out himself.

38. DolfanDuBbZ~

After the last 5 weeks. Fasano is on pace to be what he is. His numbers over 5 years here are proof positive. He has yet to hit the 40 rec plateu.

Since WEEK 8:

8 rec 57 yards 2 TDs And this is what the Fasano people on this board consider 'solid'.

39. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Some of Tannehill's most accurate throws have been over the middle. Not just decent throws, either. I'm talking about the type of throws that lift you off your seat and make you say WOW! He made me a believer after that Arizona game where he threaded the needle over and over, most of those throws being OVER THE MIDDLE.

Once again, Omar proves he's a moron. Good job, Sun-Sentinel.

EDIT: For those who don't remember Tannehill's performance during the Arizona game, PM me and I'll hook you up so you can see it for yourself.

40. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

To call him ignorant is offensive to ignorant people. Lets just say he's dropping more Omars.