Omar Kelly: "Ryan Tannehill cannot throw-down the Middle? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Kelly: "Ryan Tannehill cannot throw-down the Middle?

ANUFan

Club Member
Reaction score
Listening to Dan Selio and on several other occasions this has been one of Omar's biggest criticism against Tannehill. Is he right? Someone, particularly with X's and O's knowledge(Tedd,Hoops, Ck?) can you explain what hes talking about because frankly I just dont see what Omar is claiming.

Sure I can remember him not being accurate to Bess, Clay and Hartline going across the middle.But on the other hand I recall him squeezing it into Clay between three defenders and ALOT more successful throws in the middle of the field to Bess and Hartline, than not. In addition, I'm not even going to entertain the WHO THE HELL ON THIS TEAM CAN EVEN GET DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE FEILD? question

So bottom line what is it Omar is seeing that I'm not?

Thanks

With the lack of a receiver that can get any seperation past 12 yards he must make a perfect throw. Sorry we don't know what Tannehill can or can't do yet. Let's see what he can do with a good receiver or two then we can decide.

With the lack of a receiver that can get any seperation past 12 yards he must make a perfect throw. Sorry we don't know what Tannehill can or can't do yet. Let's see what he can do with a good receiver or two then we can decide.

This is my thinking as well. But I don't know much about the X's and O's of the game so perhaps its a technical aspect that I'm not registering.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

i say sherman doesn't let him throw in the middle.

That question was asked and Omars response was because "they" don't trust him!

I think he has the ABILITY to do so, but he is hesitant because he can't trust his receivers to make a play/fight for position/ etc.

Also, his balls down the middle look a bit low and off target because his footwork doesn't seem like where it should be. Is that because his short reads are usually his last option and by that time, the pocket is collapsing?

Would you through the ball down the middle, into the teeth of the defense, with Anthony Fasano being your primary target. (The "fast offensive tackle" at this point in his career)

Omar makes **** up as he goes to sound like he knows something.

Omar makes **** up as he goes to sound like he knows something.

I'm in agreement. However I didn't want to dismiss what he's saying, simply because he makes things up and truthfully I don't want the evaluation to be true about Tannehill. Now objectively as possible when I watch other teams make plays down the field usually the players are of the following type or combination:

1) They can win a jump ball
2) They are very athletic
3) They are fast

Please correct me if I'm wrong about that observation. If not, who exactly on our team fits that profile?

There is a reason that Omar Kelly will always be a bottom tier local beat writer.

Who's our seam threat besides Bess? None of our tight ends can even make plays at the seam so I don't fault Tannehill for not throwing there. Seems like each time he throws something inside the tight ends bat the ball up in danger for an interception.

Now I'm not sure if he can't throw it between the hashes but omar is correct in noticing this particular problem with the passing game. I think Tanny still has work to do in a lot of areas, but that's the case with most rookies.

One of the criticisms of Tannehill pre-draft was that he had some accuracy issues in the middle of the field. I think trying to rectify that is one of the reasons the coaching staff tends to shy away from moving him out the pocket too much. I've also noticed lately that he's sometimes not stepping into his throws or finding a proper space to throw. I'm not sure this is that big of a concern unless it's still occurring a year or two from now.

Back
Top Bottom