On a lighter note-Top Five Greatest Miami Dolphins of All Time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On a lighter note-Top Five Greatest Miami Dolphins of All Time

Didn't remember ever getting that one.

I was in a different place though.

Jim Jensen always has defined football for me.

ETA; And Dannica Patrick defines sexy.

Other than Mrs Goon.

ETA2; I love the card with him with his helmet tilted back and the beard.
the guy always seemed to have a handle on the entire game of football.

If you're so inclined, you're still welcome to grab/use it considering I made it expressly for you. It's just sitting there in the back of the archives gathering dust. :idk:

And what's this about Danica? I thought Alyssa Milano was your ultimate squeeze?

If you're so inclined, you're still welcome to grab/use it considering I made it expressly for you. It's just sitting there in the back of the archives gathering dust. :idk:

And what's this about Danica? I thought Alyssa Milano was your ultimate squeeze?

Two words; Threesome.

Marino
Dwight. ( best center ever )
Zonk. ( best fb ever).
Little
Langer

Last edited by a moderator:
Ricky individually meant more for his team than any anyone other than Marino. It's hard to put him on because all the issues but its hard to keep him off too.

Not enough love for the hall of fame fullback that was MVP of Super Bowl 8 in the first few posts. For shame.

1. Marino
2. Csonka
3. Griese
4. Stephenson
5. Langer

Left out the dancing queen for quitting on us, Zach Thomas because it's hard to put him ahead of hall of famers, Shula because he's not a player, and Warfield because his best years were with Cleveland, and they were mostly a running team during his time.

Ricky individually meant more for his team than any anyone other than Marino. It's hard to put him on because all the issues but its hard to keep him off too.

Ricky quit on the team, and kept getting suspended. He's not now, nor will he ever be in the hall of fame, so it's VERY easy to keep him off the list.

1. Marino
2. Larry Zonka
3. Jim Langer
4. Killer Bee's
5. Marks Brothers

Some of my favorite "Non HOF" candidates
1. John Offerdahl
2. AJ Duhe
3. Jason Taylor
4. Manny Fernandez
5. Keith Jackson

IMO, there has only been one meaningful period in franchise history -- the wondrous early '70s -- so no chance I'm picking anyone outside that era.

Csonka
Griese
Warfield
Little
Stanfill

Those were the 5 best players during our championship run, with apologies to Anderson and Scott and Fernandez and Buoniconti and Langer and Keuchenberg, all terrific in their own right.

That group of players was so dedicated that losses were not tolerated, and in the rare occasions they happened the post game radio show was all but silent on WIOD. Henry Barrow would be hard pressed to find anyone speaking above a whisper in the locker room. I'll never forget it. Contrast to these days, with Sean Smith celebrating a fluke interception while down 24-7, or Vontae Davis taking over the mindless grin role from Ronnie Brown. Jason Taylor would have fit well on the early '70s teams but otherwise its been difficult to find anyone equally passionate as that group, or as pained upon failure. One of the reasons I supported the Reggie Bush acquisition was because he's that type of team oriented guy, witnessed by shoving Matt Leinart into the end zone against Notre Dame in 2005. Not exactly surprising he smashed his helmet to the ground on the sideline late during an agonizing defeat.

Marino was undeniably talented but those years were an insult after experiencing the '70s teams. As a stats guy I could look at a handful of numbers and realize we were masochistically eliminating ourselves by finesse and imbalance, since too much passing naturally softens your own defense and team identity. Shula somehow gets credit for adapting to personnel when all he really did was forfeit a dozen or more years by pretending he was playing under rules and application that wouldn't be adopted for another 25 years. The defining moment was the San Diego game 1984, when we dropped our rushing attempts by severe amount, never to return. The 1983 team maintained a stubborn hold on a physical approach but by playoffs 1984 we were a pantyhose passing team, doomed to be crushed. Other than isolated spots to dependably bet against the Dolphins, the Marino years were an incomparable waste. Luckily the Canes surge was parallel. When in doubt, bet against the Dolphins and with the Canes. It was incredible how often that simple two-team parlay worked during those years.

1. Cecil "The Diesel" Collins
2. JJ Johnson
3. Rob Konrad
4. Orande Gadsden
5. John Avery

My real list since I started watching in 1995

1. Marino
2. JT
3. Zach Thomas
4. Patrick Surtain/Sam Madison
5. Jake Long (too soon?)

Hypothetical Question:

Special Note*

Ricky Williams recently topped the 10,000 yard mark for rushing yards. Had he stayed on track, miami would have never drafted brown, and williams would easily post 1200 yards seasons in 04',05',06',07'....... (he wound up accumulating 758 yards in that PRIME 4 season span, making appearances in two of them.) Just hanging around posting average YPC would have catapulted him to the 15000 yard club, the HOF, and maybe even #2 on this list !

I've always wondered if Ricky never retired to live in a tent, who would we have drafted in that 2004? draft. My money would have been on Aaron Rodgers or Braylon Edwards. His decision to retire may have had franchise-changing implications that most people don't fully realize. Remember, Rodgers was expected to go very high in that draft, some people even saying he could be number one overall. Although, we did just sign AJ Feeley, so I'm sure Spielman thought we had that position covered...

IMO, there has only been one meaningful period in franchise history -- the wondrous early '70s -- so no chance I'm picking anyone outside that era.

Csonka
Griese
Warfield
Little
Stanfill

Those were the 5 best players during our championship run, with apologies to Anderson and Scott and Fernandez and Buoniconti and Langer and Keuchenberg, all terrific in their own right.

That group of players was so dedicated that losses were not tolerated, and in the rare occasions they happened the post game radio show was all but silent on WIOD. Henry Barrow would be hard pressed to find anyone speaking above a whisper in the locker room. I'll never forget it. Contrast to these days, with Sean Smith celebrating a fluke interception while down 24-7, or Vontae Davis taking over the mindless grin role from Ronnie Brown. Jason Taylor would have fit well on the early '70s teams but otherwise its been difficult to find anyone equally passionate as that group, or as pained upon failure. One of the reasons I supported the Reggie Bush acquisition was because he's that type of team oriented guy, witnessed by shoving Matt Leinart into the end zone against Notre Dame in 2005. Not exactly surprising he smashed his helmet to the ground on the sideline late during an agonizing defeat.

Marino was undeniably talented but those years were an insult after experiencing the '70s teams. As a stats guy I could look at a handful of numbers and realize we were masochistically eliminating ourselves by finesse and imbalance, since too much passing naturally softens your own defense and team identity. Shula somehow gets credit for adapting to personnel when all he really did was forfeit a dozen or more years by pretending he was playing under rules and application that wouldn't be adopted for another 25 years. The defining moment was the San Diego game 1984, when we dropped our rushing attempts by severe amount, never to return. The 1983 team maintained a stubborn hold on a physical approach but by playoffs 1984 we were a pantyhose passing team, doomed to be crushed. Other than isolated spots to dependably bet against the Dolphins, the Marino years were an incomparable waste. Luckily the Canes surge was parallel. When in doubt, bet against the Dolphins and with the Canes. It was incredible how often that simple two-team parlay worked during those years.

Shula was always impressed by Coryell and Dan Fouts. They could score at will against anyone. The game was changing. In the playoff game against the Chargers, we fell behind 24-0(if my memory is correct) and we had to abandon the running attack game plan led by David Woodley. Enter Don Strock, and 410 passing yards later, a near miracle comeback was ruined by 2 missed field goals by Uwe Von Schamen. Shula had seen the light. In the next draft Dan Marino fell to us and there was no going back to the ground and pound.

Marino
Dwight. ( best center ever )
Zonk. ( best fb ever).
Little
Langer

Regarding the best center ever
You might want to check out Mike Webster

Stephenson only started 87 games ...8 years

Webster started 217 games...17 years
His career ended after the 1990 season, with a total of 245 games played at center.
"Iron Mike" anchored the Steeler's offensive line during much of their run of four Super Bowl victories from 1974 to 1979 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_NFL_seasonand is considered the best center in NFL history.

Webster was proven to have been disabled before retiring from the NFL. After retirement Webster suffered from amnesia, dementia, depression, and acute bone and muscle pain. He lived out of his pickup truck or train stations between Wisconsin and Pittsburgh, even though his friends and former teammates were willing to rent apartments for him. In his last years Webster lived with his youngest son, Garrett, who though only a teenager at the time, had to act as the parent to his own father. Webster's wife divorced him six months before his death in 2002. He was only 50 years old.

After death, Mike Webster was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neuro degenerative disease.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Webster#cite_note-2[/SUP] It has been speculated that Webster's ailments were due to wear and tear sustained over his playing career; some doctors estimated he had been in the equivalent of "25,000 automobile crashes" in over 25 years of playing football

Back
Top Bottom