on the right path | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

on the right path

cltchperf

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just wanted to bring some optimism here, becuase I like how things look for Miami except for one thing. That one thing is the secondary, mainly the corners, especially Howard. I usually don't care for early byes because it's good for a team to have one in like week 7 or 8, hopefully Miami won't wear down from the long stretch after the bye. Anyway, the good thing about this bye week is that Ronnie will be able to heal, and Saban will have time, to tweak the secondary, and schemes which I'm sure he will focus on. I think the secondary played awful, but it can do much better with some tweaking, becuase the secondary stopped Denver's talented receiving corps. Just think about this though, Miami has played 3 tough teams, and is 2-1, the o-line is blocking well and is improving week to week, the groung game is starting to get in gear, Gus Frerotte and the receivers are starting to get on the same page now,and he is connecting more, and making better throws, he has made some nice throws, too, some weren't good, but overall throwing good. We knew it would take time to gel, but things are starting to gel already. Ricky will be back for the Tampa game I guess even though I thought he'd be back in the Buffalo game. It seems like each week Miami's a "gear" is clicking well for Miami. Like I already said about winning games against tough teams, and this is early in the season where postion issues are just starting to gel. I seriously think Miami could contend for a playoff spot,even though it's early. Each week they are improving, and beating good teams, so I wonder how they will look by mid season, when running on all cylinders. Miami will be a team to reckon with, they are now, but especially down the road this season. The Afc will be in for a surprise.

cltchperf said:
I just wanted to bring some optimism here, becuase I like how things look for Miami except for one thing. That one thing is the secondary, mainly the corners, especially Howard. I usually don't care for early byes because it's good for a team to have one in like week 7 or 8, hopefully Miami won't wear down from the long stretch after the bye. Anyway, the good thing about this bye week is that Ronnie will be able to heal, and Saban will have time, to tweak the secondary, and schemes which I'm sure he will focus on. I think the secondary played awful, but it can do much better with some tweaking, becuase the secondary stopped Denver's talented receiving corps. Just think about this though, Miami has played 3 tough teams, and is 2-1, the o-line is blocking well and is improving week to week, the groung game is starting to get in gear, Gus Frerotte and the receivers are starting to get on the same page now,and he is connecting more, and making better throws, he has made some nice throws, too, some weren't good, but overall throwing good. We knew it would take time to gel, but things are starting to gel already. Ricky will be back for the Tampa game I guess even though I thought he'd be back in the Buffalo game. It seems like each week Miami's a "gear" is clicking well for Miami. Like I already said about winning games against tough teams, and this is early in the season where postion issues are just starting to gel. I seriously think Miami could contend for a playoff spot,even though it's early. Each week they are improving, and beating good teams, so I wonder how they will look by mid season, when running on all cylinders. Miami will be a team to reckon with, they are now, but especially down the road this season. The Afc will be in for a surprise.
I actually have been very impressed with Daniels' play. Yes he looks like a rookie at times with respect to consistency, but he has shown some special talent. He's a keeper that we'll all be proud of over the next 5 years, much like Madison and Surtain, IMO.

Alarge part of the problem is not the CB's but the scheme being a little overused on the blitzes. you cant send 6 and 7 people in and expect 4 guys (one being a LB) to cover all that ground. Its a trade off. You get to the QB most of the time or rattle the Qb into a mistake, but you pay the price when they run the nice route over the middle and take it to the house. This is more scheme related and them getting it put together to the point where there is no problem anymore.

That's the problem with blitzing alot, becuase if you're linebackers don't make it to the qb in time, get ready for a 50 yard touchdown.

With regards to the secondary, smiths 58 yarder would have been only 15 yards had schulters and sam not gotten tripped by each other, and crowder and howard had not tripped each other.

Anyone notice that TE's have been doing little against us? Well you can put that all to Crowder. He has been covering the secondary pretty well.

yeah, that's what I though when I saw that play, I think it's not necessarily coverage but tackling that needs work too. Madison is not good at tackling, The guys looked like stooges out there, when they tripped over each other, one setting a pick on his own team mate./

I would much rather have a bye week prior to a division game. Those teams know your personnel and your tendencies. Even with a new regime we're kidding ourselves to think the Bills don't know what to expect from our holdover players. With added time, especially since the Bills do play this week, Saban may be able to anticipate and counterprepare.

Also, again it's never mentioned by the mainstream media but NFL teams tend to play subpar on the road one week following a victory. I'll give the betting oriented reference point: 45% of road teams coming off a win cover, while 54% of road teams coming off a loss cover. That holds up remarkably consistent. It demonstrates you generally get a more focused and intense effort on the road if the team is coming off a loss. If we were playing at Buffalo this week that satisfied mindset could work to our disadvantage, similar to at the Jets. One week removed and things tend to even out.

Back
Top Bottom