One bottom-feeder game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by oasis, Dec 15, 2009.

1. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Our schedule was projected to be the toughest in the league. I look at it another way - basically how many bottom-feeder teams did we get to play for so-called "freebie" wins? Sure, there is no such thing as a free win, but as we learned last year, it sure is easier to make a run when the teams on your schedule aren't so great.
    For the purposes of this comparison I am defining "bottom-feeder" by a team with 4 or less wins right now and more or less considering it a free win. There are 7 such teams currently: OAK, KC, CLE, STL, DET, WAS, TB

We got to play only one of them.

Chargers - SIX
    Bengals - FIVE
    Ravens - FIVE
    Broncos - FIVE
    Steelers - FIVE
    Jags - THREE
    Jets - TWO
    Texans - TWO
    Titans - ONE
    Pats - ONE
    Phins - ONE
    Colts - ONE

This seems to indicate that the Phins, Titans, Pats, Texans, and Jets *might* be significantly better than their record indicates.

It also shows how remarkable the Colts' undefeated record thus far is - they haven't drawn many freebie games either. Meanwhile, the Ravens have absolutely FEASTED, and may beat us out for a wildcard because of this. This might possibly work in our favor though - their SOV can't be terribly high assuming the bottom-feeders keep losing. So, you should root for the bottom-feeders (particularly the ones the Ravens have played - KC, CLE, OAK, DET) to keep losing, unless of course they're playing the Ravens in the final three weeks (OAK).

It also suggests that the best remaining team on our schedule is the Titans (plus that's a road game), followed by the Texans. The Steelers don't look too impressive considering they've been granted 5 bottom-feeder games and didn't even win all of them.

2. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

to make matters worse, we played most of our games against the teams when they were hot. San Diego and maybe the first Buffalo game are the exceptions.

3. 72TributeBike

72TributeBike A True Fan

Which brings up the question:

Which AFC and NFC division do we get to play next year? I know it's rotated...but is it rotated in advance so that we know?

4. greasyObnoxious

AFC North and NFC North

5. 72TributeBike

72TributeBike A True Fan

Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Minnesota, Chicago, Green Bay, & Detroit

PLUS our six divisional games.

2 potential "bottom-feeder" games (or more or less depending on how these team start off in 2010)

Wow...

Let's a get a legitimate #1 WR for Henne and a little more help for the LBs and secondary! Then perhaps we'll stand-out like Indy is doing this year in 2010!!!

6. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

Not to mention we played both undefeated teams and came the closest to beating both of them of anyone, except MAYBE the Pats with respect to the Colts.

7. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

whoever in the AFCS and AFCW finishes in the same position we finish this year. If we finish 1st AFCE, we play whoever finishes first in the AFCS and AFCW.

8. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Meaning we'll probably draw the Chargers and Colts again if we win the division. Or Broncos and Jags (?) if we finish second.

9. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

If we win the division we'll play the Colts and probably the chargers.. We finish 2nd and, yeah, Jags again and most likely Broncos... It would be nice to have an interconference rivalry like what the Colts and NE "used" to have... I say "used" to have because the Rats are done and wont be seeing the Colts as much anymore due to division ranking.. we take that spot now.. :up:

10. greasyObnoxious

time to get used to playing tougher schedules. i, for one, embrace the idea of playing against the best teams year in and year out.

11. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

Finally some Bears and Lions:up:, enough of this Colts, Chargers, Saints stuff.

12. greasyObnoxious

we still might end up playing the Colts and Chargers next year

13. AquaInferno

AquaInferno Pro Bowler Donator

Agreed! Playing 3 win teams every week will not do this team any favors come post season. If we can have a winning season against all winning teams then the rest is elementary!