One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet

MarinoEqualsGod

The man, the myth, the legend
Reaction score
The last time (and only time IIRC) that the Dolphins didn't have a bye week and had to play 16 consecutive games, was the last time they played in the AFC Championship. Just sayin'. This doesn't doom our season. If we're good enough, we will be there towards the end. If we're not, we won't.

220f1ea0-8014-4a8f-8fc5-1913fd7825b0_800.jpg

For me its not the fact of playing 16 straight, its the fact that everyone else (except the Bucs) get a break so that for me is an advantage to them. They are coming to the UK this year also which I know adds a burden with no bye week after. The other thing is we go to LA next week and having not played a game take on LA who will have already played a Reg season game so again I feel that's an advantage to them.

For me its not the fact of playing 16 straight, its the fact that everyone else (except the Bucs) get a break so that for me is an advantage to them. They are coming to the UK this year also which I know adds a burden with no bye week after. The other thing is we go to LA next week and having not played a game take on LA who will have already played a Reg season game so again I feel that's an advantage to them.
So glad you pointed that out. The starters didn't play last week and won't play this week. They will have played less than a half of football in 3 weeks when they take the field vs the chargers. With tackling only being allowed in practice a few times a year most all teams are terrible tackling the first week. Add in the long 3 week layoff and you can expect to see a sloppy defense taking the field next Sunday. If you want some easy money take the chargers in the first half. On the other hand we should be well rested and not banged up or injured. But not many teams are after just one week. This sucks on so many levels. Week 5 before our first home game. So much for home field heat advantage.

Interesting factoid for sure.

While having a week 1 bye certainly has more disadvantages, one potential advantage is having 2017 tape on all 16 games. And as far as this week being our "bye", getting Maualuga in shape is a plus - so it's not a total loss. Let's not forget Cutler is still new to this team.

Again, certainly not a good thing, but there are some silver linings.

Here's a question for you all: If you're Gase, do you still treat Week 11 like a bye week? That is, play all your backups to give the starters some much needed rest in this NON-Divisional game. I say if we have a record of at least 7-3, I would do this. Anything worse than that record, and we would need to get the win.

Here's a question for you all: If you're Gase, do you still treat Week 11 like a bye week? That is, play all your backups to give the starters some much needed rest in this NON-Divisional game. I say if we have a record of at least 7-3, I would do this. Anything worse than that record, and we would need to get the win.
Have you seen the back end of our schedule? I would never ever consider doing this. This may be one of the more winnable games the rest of the way. Play your backup's and you are 7-4 with 2 vs. NE still? No way, no how.

It would also hurt the product that the NFL would put out that week if backups were playing a regular season game, and quite frankly, if I were Gase, I would have said I would do as much if the NFL didn't relocate the game, rather than move it to the bye week.

Lock up playoffs early and take week 17 as a bye!!
I wasn't confident in the Dolphins making the playoffs this year anyway but now while most teams are getting in shape, since it takes a good 4 or 5 weeks before we start seeing good football, Miami is a week behind. They have to travel to Los Angeles and then two weeks later to London with no bye. 7-9 would look pretty good right now.

I hope Ross doesn't volunteer the Dolphins for any more games in London any time soon....or ever. We've played in London a bunch of times while I don't think the Cowboys ever have.

I wasn't confident in the Dolphins making the playoffs this year anyway but now while most teams are getting in shape, since it takes a good 4 or 5 weeks before we start seeing good football, Miami is a week behind. They have to travel to Los Angeles and then two weeks later to London with no bye. 7-9 would look pretty good right now.

I hope Ross doesn't volunteer the Dolphins for any more games in London any time soon....or ever. We've played in London a bunch of times while I don't think the Cowboys ever have.

Packers have never played in London either. Living in Wisconsin as I currently do, I'm just waiting for the $---storm that would come from the fans if their precious Packers lose a home game. I guarantee you that there would be petitions galore. It would be a glorious thing.

Hopefully the Chargers pull out a hard fought emotional victory at the end of the game in week 1 and it takes everything they've got.

Back
Top Bottom