Optimism for the Future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Optimism for the Future

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Watching consistently cursed teams like the Vikings and Eagles, as well as the Jags who have horrid for several years make it the championship games gives me a bit of hope for the Dolphins future. While there are several holes to be filled, none of them are so bad that there isn't hope.

For as much of the struggles that the Dolphins had this year, they were still in it in the 2nd to last week. With competent, more consistent QB play that Tannehill would have added, I'm confident the team would have been a wildcard team for the second consecutive year. I know many people are down on Gase, but he showed me enough year 1 to believe he has the ability to turn things around unlike prior Dolphin coaches...

What REALLY gives me hope for the future is the current state of the AFC. The old guard is on the way out.

After this year, the Patriots will be more vulnerable than ever with both coordinators on the way out, some internal strife between BB and Brady as well as Brady's advancing age which WILL eventually catch up to him sooner than later without a clear plan to replace him that they had with Jimmy G. BB is looking to bookend his legacy with 2 dynasties... If he wins this year, this could be the end of his final dynasty...

Looking at the other AFC teams, there aren't many elite QBs left at the beginning of their career to wreak havoc on the conference, and certainly not in the AFC East which makes it easier to advance into the playoffs.

Big Ben is at the tail end of his career, with probably only one or two seasons left. Andrew Luck may never recover to where he was. Rivers, who many consider a franchise guy, but has never really been a playoff factor is also in his final years. Of the young guns to take on the throne, only Carr and DeShaun Watson seem like legitimate threats to become consistently elite down the road. Thankfully both are out of the division.

And who are the great coaches in the AFC? BB obviously, but he only has a few years left too, and perhaps if things go sour he could choose to finish his career with another team. Andy Reid is a guy who wins a lot of games, but can't progress in the playoffs. Tomlin is a good coach but has made some questionable moves in the past few years. Gruden is back, but history doesn't bode well for retreads who were out of the game for a long time. Harbaugh might be the best AFC coach outside of BB.

So there is a definite opening in the AFC. The barriers that the Dolphins' have dealt with for nearly 2 decades are beginning to break... Sunny days ahead!

Need to draft good, so far this FO hasn’t shown that ability.

The drafts actually haven't been that bad during the Gase regime... It's FA that has been a problem... as well as wasteful trades.

2016 starters and contributors:
  • Laremy Tunsil (Starter)
  • Xavien Howard (Starter)
  • Kenyan Drake (Starter)
  • Jakeem Grant (Contributor)
2017 starters and contributors:
  • Charles Harris (Contributor)
  • Raekwon McMillan (Starter)
  • Cordrea Tankersly (Contributor)
  • Davon Godchaux (Contributor)
Asiata (2017) and Carroo (2016) or Isiah Ford (2017) could eventually become contributors as well depending on how the OL and Landry situation develops.

Any draft that produces at least 4 solid contributors is good IMO. The problem is they haven't drafted any stars yet... But these draft classes are still young and could develop.

Yeah they’ve drafted Starters but this teams lacks elite talent and haven’t gotten it from draft picks..until then Miami will be an average team.

Sure a few picks have elite potential, but it’s just potential.

I believe there is talent on both sides of the ball. I think the play calling lacked creativeness and timing. Wr screens are good once in a while but when that is what you'e relying on to move the football, 3 and out is going to be a regular thing.
I thought coaching on both sides of the ball regressed. Glad to see changes happening but Gase also needs to look in the mirror because I thought he held the offense back.

Yeah they’ve drafted Starters but this teams lacks elite talent and haven’t gotten it from draft picks..until then Miami will be an average team.

Sure a few picks have elite potential, but it’s just potential.

I agree, but what I'm saying is that the AFC is looking to be a pretty moribund conference for the foreseeable future, so simply having an above average team with good QBing and coaching could translate to more consistent playoff appearances.

This team does need to draft some elite players though...

To be honest, if Miami’s defense can clean up the miscommunications and play sounder in terms of their assignments, they should improve significantly. That 5 game losing streak and the 2 game winning streak against Denver and New England, showed just how bad and good they could potentially be, with better communication and coaching. I believe both Tankersley and Howard can develop into top 10-15 type CB’s. If they can draft some pass rushers to compliment the young DT’s the defense could make huge strides in 2018? The offense IMO, is a LG away from from fielding an above average unit. Getting more bang for the buck at TE and from Parker could push the offense to another level. Lastly finding a power RB to compliment Drake should improve production from the overall unit. I like the direction the team is going. All the coaching changes are revealing just how much bad coaching and distracted the entire team seemed to be all season long. Gase is doing what is needed to potentially develop this young core into a playoff contender. Let’s see how it all shakes out.

Not to take away the OP's positive vibes, but the AFC has some teams on the rise: Tennessee, Buffalo, Raiders, Indy with a healthy Luck, and Jacksonville.

I do believe we have some young talent (CB's, RB's and receivers). We need a little luck with staying healthy, and some key acquisitions to be home runs. A healthy Tannehill puts us in the mix. How Gase elevates the team from there will be the difference.

The drafts actually haven't been that bad during the Gase regime... It's FA that has been a problem... as well as wasteful trades.

2016 starters and contributors:
  • Laremy Tunsil (Starter)
  • Xavien Howard (Starter)
  • Kenyan Drake (Starter)
  • Jakeem Grant (Contributor)
2017 starters and contributors:
  • Charles Harris (Contributor)
  • Raekwon McMillan (Starter)
  • Cordrea Tankersly (Contributor)
  • Davon Godchaux (Contributor)
Asiata (2017) and Carroo (2016) or Isiah Ford (2017) could eventually become contributors as well depending on how the OL and Landry situation develops.

Any draft that produces at least 4 solid contributors is good IMO. The problem is they haven't drafted any stars yet... But these draft classes are still young and could develop.

I agree, although, McMillan hasn't played a down. I swear the love fest for him is sickening when Cunningham, who I wanted and was picked one pick later is pretty good.

Tank is more of a starter.

I think Caroo will do very well in Landry's role.

I don't think we own Ford's rights anymore unless we signed him back into the PS after we cut him injured in pre-season and paid him an injury settlement.

Not to take away the OP's positive vibes, but the AFC has some teams on the rise: Tennessee, Buffalo, Raiders, Indy with a healthy Luck, and Jacksonville.

You stole my theme. There is little upside to pretending the rest of the conference will recline closer to your level. The most relevant stats like YPPA Differential and Passer Rating Differential remain in the same range season after season.

The Dolphins need to find a way to climb toward the top of categories like that. The conference is not going to triple bogey every hole until allowing you to play through.

I wish I could be as optimistic. We still have more holes to fill than a cannoli bakery in southern Italy at 6am.

Brady that asshat is still good and looks like he can play another 2-3 years. Roethlisberger still good and perhaps 1-2 more. DeShawn Watson will be a stud again when he comes back. I like Ryan but he’s coming back off major surgery. Can’t believe Brady is in his 8th SB in 16 seasons. How is this good for the NFL?

Watching consistently cursed teams like the Vikings and Eagles, as well as the Jags who have horrid for several years make it the championship games gives me a bit of hope for the Dolphins future. While there are several holes to be filled, none of them are so bad that there isn't hope.

For as much of the struggles that the Dolphins had this year, they were still in it in the 2nd to last week. With competent, more consistent QB play that Tannehill would have added, I'm confident the team would have been a wildcard team for the second consecutive year. I know many people are down on Gase, but he showed me enough year 1 to believe he has the ability to turn things around unlike prior Dolphin coaches...

What REALLY gives me hope for the future is the current state of the AFC. The old guard is on the way out.

After this year, the Patriots will be more vulnerable than ever with both coordinators on the way out, some internal strife between BB and Brady as well as Brady's advancing age which WILL eventually catch up to him sooner than later without a clear plan to replace him that they had with Jimmy G. BB is looking to bookend his legacy with 2 dynasties... If he wins this year, this could be the end of his final dynasty...

Looking at the other AFC teams, there aren't many elite QBs left at the beginning of their career to wreak havoc on the conference, and certainly not in the AFC East which makes it easier to advance into the playoffs.

Big Ben is at the tail end of his career, with probably only one or two seasons left. Andrew Luck may never recover to where he was. Rivers, who many consider a franchise guy, but has never really been a playoff factor is also in his final years. Of the young guns to take on the throne, only Carr and DeShaun Watson seem like legitimate threats to become consistently elite down the road. Thankfully both are out of the division.

And who are the great coaches in the AFC? BB obviously, but he only has a few years left too, and perhaps if things go sour he could choose to finish his career with another team. Andy Reid is a guy who wins a lot of games, but can't progress in the playoffs. Tomlin is a good coach but has made some questionable moves in the past few years. Gruden is back, but history doesn't bode well for retreads who were out of the game for a long time. Harbaugh might be the best AFC coach outside of BB.

So there is a definite opening in the AFC. The barriers that the Dolphins' have dealt with for nearly 2 decades are beginning to break... Sunny days ahead!
Pitt and NE, because they understand how to have sustainability, will draft replacements soon, and keep doing that until they find the next qb to give them sustainability. Miami? eh not so much. Everyone loves one year playoff runs and then finds excuses why they didn't make it the next year. Posters here still talking about 2016, as if that means anything. Go get a qb, keep drafting one, until you have the sustainability

Pitt and NE, because they understand how to have sustainability, will draft replacements soon, and keep doing that until they find the next qb to give them sustainability. Miami? eh not so much. Everyone loves one year playoff runs and then finds excuses why they didn't make it the next year. Posters here still talking about 2016, as if that means anything. Go get a qb, keep drafting one, until you have the sustainability
Sustainability isn't just about the QB.....it's about allowing a plan / system to mature and not over reacting to every thing that doesn't go your way.

I do believe we have some young talent (CB's, RB's and receivers). We need a little luck with staying healthy, and some key acquisitions to be home runs. A healthy Tannehill puts us in the mix. How Gase elevates the team from there will be the difference.
I cannot say 100% that Tennessee, Buffalo and the Raiders are officially on the rise. All 3 of those teams have flaws, Raiders regressed this year and 2 of the 3 are getting a new HC.

Back
Top Bottom