Our Blitz Packages are Atrocious, Why?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Blitz Packages are Atrocious, Why??

FinsGonnaRock06

Club Member
Reaction score
Are we so BAD AT BLITZING, How many times do we have to watch 8 or 9 men Blitz right up the middle only to get BLOCKED INTO A BIG GAGGLE. Is it Scheme or Are our Players just not good at Blitzing??

Good observation and a good question. I notice that when we blitz, it's usually a joke. We still don't get anywhere near the QB. It's like we're not even blitzing. It's actually quite embarrassing. When other teams blitz against us, Culpepper is running for the hills right away.

I also notice too that our blitzers are plain running past the play. Are we blitzing too much? The best running plays against us are on blitz packages. I think we get good enough pressure from our line.. i would like to see our linebackers ball hawk a little more

I agree completely. It is amazing when I watch some of the other top teams in the league - Steelers, Jaguars, Eagles, etc., even the Bills had a better Blitz package.

I think it's a matter of ingenuity and understanding what the other team likes to do. Our blitz packages seem very predictable to the other team.

The one area it does work is when we have a corner blitz - especially when Jeremiah Bell is in the game.

The other thing that is troubling, is that when we are blitzing and the DL's have one on one situations - they aren't getting to the QB - other than Kevin Carter who had a good game against the Bills. He was the only consistent defender, imo.

FinsGonnaRock06 said:
Are we so BAD AT BLITZING, How many times do we have to watch 8 or 9 men Blitz right up the middle only to get BLOCKED INTO A BIG GAGGLE. Is it Scheme or Are our Players just not good at Blitzing??

we dont have the right personnel on the squad plain and simple. Capers defense always has no problem blitzing..its the players we have. i love zach but he doesnt fit the mold for saban/capers scheme.

Sabans hybrid needs big LB's that can blitz from any angle.

AquaAssasin said:
we dont have the right personnel on the squad plain and simple. Capers defense always has no problem blitzing..its the players we have. i love zach but he doesnt fit the mold for saban/capers scheme.

Sabans hybrid needs big LB's that can blitz from any angle.

Exactly! Blitzing Zach up the middle is pretty useless because he can never really get through to the QB. Why dosen't Channing Crowder blitz more? On Capers' defenses you see guys like Kevin Green and Greg Lloyd coming on the blitz. Bigger linebackers that can go through linemen. Even J.T. dosen't get through when he rushes all of the time.

PhinFan0202 said:
Exactly! Blitzing Zach up the middle is pretty useless because he can never really get through to the QB. Why dosen't Channing Crowder blitz more? On Capers' defenses you see guys like Kevin Green and Greg Lloyd coming on the blitz. Bigger linebackers that can go through linemen. Even J.T. dosen't get through when he rushes all of the time.

yep yep... its our personell.... i believe that we have to mix it up and not be predictable but honestly zack is not a blitzing LB....

several times when Seau played he was able to blitz priety good... he realy disrupted plays...

bringing in green was a great idea... but they should leave zack in coverage..
if they do blitz him it needs to be on a delay

PhinFan0202 said:

Totally agree!!! I would use a 3-4 with Bowens or Taylor blitzing and a 4-3 with Spragan or Crowder and maybe even Tillman or Hill, every team expect Zach to blitz but it is time we give them a surprise blitz package!

exactly. We all agree we love zach but he doesnt blitz well. Hes a tackling machine. Some kind of delay but dont send him on a goose hunt.

FinsGonnaRock06 said:

Good question, I have actually wondered for years now why its seems like everytime we blitz, especially ZACH it seems like no one ever gets to the QB but our regular pass rush always gets good pressure.....

Guys this thread doesnt deserve a 1. Its true were not good a blitzing.

Back
Top Bottom