Our Blitz Packages are Atrocious, Why??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinsGonnaRock06, Sep 19, 2006.

1. FinsGonnaRock06

FinsGonnaRock06 A True Fan

Are we so BAD AT BLITZING, How many times do we have to watch 8 or 9 men Blitz right up the middle only to get BLOCKED INTO A BIG GAGGLE. Is it Scheme or Are our Players just not good at Blitzing??

2. bigmiamifan

bigmiamifan Perennial All-Pro

I wondered the same thing, we were always a step late. That led to a lot of open receivers.

3. dw10

dw10 Well-Known Member

Good observation and a good question. I notice that when we blitz, it's usually a joke. We still don't get anywhere near the QB. It's like we're not even blitzing. It's actually quite embarrassing. When other teams blitz against us, Culpepper is running for the hills right away.

4. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I also notice too that our blitzers are plain running past the play. Are we blitzing too much? The best running plays against us are on blitz packages. I think we get good enough pressure from our line.. i would like to see our linebackers ball hawk a little more

5. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins FinHeaven VIP

I agree completely. It is amazing when I watch some of the other top teams in the league - Steelers, Jaguars, Eagles, etc., even the Bills had a better Blitz package.

I think it's a matter of ingenuity and understanding what the other team likes to do. Our blitz packages seem very predictable to the other team.

The one area it does work is when we have a corner blitz - especially when Jeremiah Bell is in the game.

The other thing that is troubling, is that when we are blitzing and the DL's have one on one situations - they aren't getting to the QB - other than Kevin Carter who had a good game against the Bills. He was the only consistent defender, imo.

6. AquaAssasin

AquaAssasin Pro Bowler

we dont have the right personnel on the squad plain and simple. Capers defense always has no problem blitzing..its the players we have. i love zach but he doesnt fit the mold for saban/capers scheme.

Sabans hybrid needs big LB's that can blitz from any angle.

7. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

Exactly! Blitzing Zach up the middle is pretty useless because he can never really get through to the QB. Why dosen't Channing Crowder blitz more? On Capers' defenses you see guys like Kevin Green and Greg Lloyd coming on the blitz. Bigger linebackers that can go through linemen. Even J.T. dosen't get through when he rushes all of the time.

8. eric-in-tx

eric-in-tx long time reader

yep yep... its our personell.... i believe that we have to mix it up and not be predictable but honestly zack is not a blitzing LB....

several times when Seau played he was able to blitz priety good... he realy disrupted plays...

bringing in green was a great idea... but they should leave zack in coverage..
    if they do blitz him it needs to be on a delay

9. Canadianfishfan

I still think zack is a great LB... But let Crowder blitz and leave Thomas to ball hawk.

10. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

Totally agree!!! I would use a 3-4 with Bowens or Taylor blitzing and a 4-3 with Spragan or Crowder and maybe even Tillman or Hill, every team expect Zach to blitz but it is time we give them a surprise blitz package!

11. AquaAssasin

AquaAssasin Pro Bowler

exactly. We all agree we love zach but he doesnt blitz well. Hes a tackling machine. Some kind of delay but dont send him on a goose hunt.

12. TPD1479

TPD1479 Seasoned Veteran

Good question, I have actually wondered for years now why its seems like everytime we blitz, especially ZACH it seems like no one ever gets to the QB but our regular pass rush always gets good pressure.....

13. Canadianfishfan

Exactly!

14. Joneal7

Joneal7 Heheheheheheheh

yeah as it was pointed out above..its our personel

15. Majpain

Majpain Giants GM

Guys this thread doesnt deserve a 1. Its true were not good a blitzing.

16. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

We could be if we had the right personel for it. I have a strong feeling that the defense is going to see alot of work in the offseason. Adding some more linebackers that fit the system a little better than the ones that we have now. Also the NT position and the defensive line. What i want to know is who is going to take Taylor's spot after he retires. I'm greatfull for all that J.T. has done but he's not getting any younger.

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Perennial All-Pro

Zach Thomas is a good pass rusher. Linebackers who are blitzing up the middle simply dont put up big sack numbers, as the speed advantage is neutralized that outside rushers have, and usually there is a Guard or failing that, a runningback waiting to pick it up. You dont see linebackers who play backed off the LOS often get sacks there, besides Brian Urlacher, who won out big on delay blitzes on a penetrating D-line.

Zach Thomas also is one of the best run-blitzing linebackers in the league. He had 12 tackles for a loss last season per ESPN. Jeremiah Trotter, who is probabaly the best in the league, had 11. Brian Urlacher had 8. None of the other blitz-heavy linterior inebackers did any better that I saw.

18. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

the only time we have sucess is really when we blizt members of our secondary. think about it we dont have the personnel. thats why we made a push for arrington, and thought about brooks in the suppl. we really need to find a linebacker that can flat out get after it. i dont remeber the last one we had maybe cox very early in his career?

19. Kadiddlehopper

Kadiddlehopper Charter Member of the Dolphin's Fan Club

20. SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega Starter

id really like to see blitzs go to the side of an opposing teams OL. Have a DE, LB and maybe a CB Blitz all at one side

21. Louis Oliver

Louis Oliver FinHeaven VIP

We were 2nd ( or tied for first in the league ) last year in sacks. So I wouldn't say we are that bad.

I think we need to upgrade Donnie Spragan ( He doesn't scare anyone coming of the edge ). Teams can focus on JT and not worry about the other side.

Let's face it, most of our front 7 is gonna call it a career in 2-3 years. Saban will need to invest heavily in the draft on the front 7 in the next 2 years.

22. MiamiDolphins34

MiamiDolphins34 A True Fan

And we didnt draft a single LB :rolleyes2

23. Louis Oliver

Louis Oliver FinHeaven VIP

Look at how Pitt used Polamalu all over the field ( blitz, nickel corner, run litz, safety ) he was killing us.

Look at how the Ravens use Ed Reed, Skins use Shaun Taylor, etc..

If we hit on Jason Allen ( holding breath ) we may have acquired a good blitzing safety ( Saban's comments after the draft were to this effect ) and if we pair up w/ Yeremiah ( who is a good blitzer if you ask me ) we could do some tricky things.

24. Disgustipate

Except they signed two, tried to get Lavar Arrington and apparently Julian Peterson.

Did you see any high quality strongside OLB canidates in that last draft?

25. MastR_EvaluatoR

MastR_EvaluatoR Well-Known Member

the only time we have any success with the blitz is when we run #37, a safety off the edge.. Blitzing to the middle of the line is suicide for this defense..

I am always shocked how 5 guys can block our 8 in the middle.. Maybe we just need to spread them out a bit.

26. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

then you look and our 5 or 6 cant block their 5 or 6, let alone pickup the blitzes

27. FinsGonnaRock06

FinsGonnaRock06 A True Fan

They seem to block our 2 with one, kinda a Double team Block Reversed.
    Crazy Huh!

28. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins FinHeaven VIP

There were several - Manny Lawson, OLB/DE NC St., 6'5, 240 - at SF he has 2 sacks already; Bobby Carpenter OLB OSU - Dallas; Chad Greenway OLB Iowa St.

I realize we needed DB's but we could have re-signed our safeties and had the corners we have now - and had a big OLB who could rush the passer or at least be a bigger force on the outside.

29. PhinsPhan

PhinsPhan Pro Bowler

Last year we were second in sacks. But I also remember being compeletely useless blitzing early season. I am not sure if it is still some adjustments needing to be made but it started off the same way and look where we ended up.

In fact it was when we started getting to the QB that we started winning games.

30. Disgustipate

This thread doesnt deserve one gold star, it deserves one brown star.

It's doubtful Lawson could play strongside linebacker short term, or even if it'd be worth it long term. Strongside linebacker is not a mirror image of what Jason Taylor does. It is a much more coverage and dirty-work oriented position.

Bobby Carpenter was about one of the only ones that really reasonably fit.

31. ASCII

ASCII FinHeaven VIP

Open. Closed. Point on here CFF. :yes: Zach is not, IS NOT, a blitzing linebacker. Why Capers believes this to be the case is beyond me. I'ld much rather see Crowder blitz then Zach..any day of the week.