Our defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our defense

rustydowell

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I look at our defense, and at every position, why isn't this group dominating offenses?

Miami was able to stop the run before, and then Coyle changed the Front 7 scheme and Ireland swapped out two LBs. Now, they struggle against the run. The same thing happened on offense; Philbin and Sherman changed the blocking schemes, and Ireland went with Miller over Bush. And again, now the o-line is bad and there is no running game. This is why I don't like Philbin and his offensive and defensive schemes. If the pre-Philbin team had received upgrades at certain positions, they would be a lot better than this current team.

I understand that bringing in a new offense/defense requires time to replace all of the players with skillsets that don't fit the new system, but this will takes YEARS. I don't want to wait 4 or 5 more years to see results. This regime has had two years, and all they can do is look good for maybe 30 minutes per game since they can't make adjustments in the second half. Why give them any more time? Am I the only one who thinks that Philbin and company are bad for this team? They're not improving with time and additional talent; they're regressing!

Because players like randy starks are getting old, our lbs arent good and chris clemmons sucks.More good players wasted just like jason taylor,pat surtain,zach thomas, etc.

Im saying Wheeler is bad. Ellerbe has underperformed, and Koa Misi isnt good.

So basically... yes.

If you think Misi isn't good you're misinformed. He's not flashy but playing the strong side the backer rarely is. He is very good at what he does. Especially in comparison to wheeler.

Or D isn't playing with a lead as much as they need to be. They are a really good squad and playing well, but playing from behind causes more risks to be taken to try to get off the field.

In Pts allowed per game, the only thing that really matters, we are tenth. The Ds above us are

Carolina
KC
Seattle
San Fran
NO
Cincy
Baltimore
AZ
New England

Pretty solid company. Amazingly they are doing this is done with spending the 4th most amount of time on the field.

Don't freak about our D....they are playing well. Freak about our run game and 2nd half scoring.

Or D isn't playing with a lead as much as they need to be. They are a really good squad and playing well, but playing from behind causes more risks to be taken to try to get off the field.

In Pts allowed per game, the only thing that really matters, we are tenth. The Ds above us are

Carolina
KC
Seattle
San Fran
NO
Cincy
Baltimore
AZ
New England

Pretty solid company. Amazingly they are doing this is done with spending the 4th most amount of time on the field.

Don't freak about our D....they are playing well. Freak about our run game and 2nd half scoring.

I wonder how much higher on that list our D would be if [STRIKE]Tannehill[/STRIKE].... I mean our offense, didnt turn the ball over so much. I wonder what the average amount of turnovers on offense the teams ahead of us on this list have as compared to what ours is.

This is one of the best defenses in the league. They could be better at stopping the run, but all in all its a solid group. Too bad our offense is one of the worst in the league. We could be a legit championship contender if we had a good[STRIKE] QB[/STRIKE].... I mean good offense.

Misi as strong is a solid 2 down backer ellerbe is get by able at mike with a better wolb next to him...wheeler is awful

This d would be getting people off the field more if the damn lb play vs the run especially the clean to the ball flow laterally and fill wolb wasn't such a disaster...

Either your mike or your wolb needs to have solid instincts...wheelers are as bad as gets unless you insert our depth at the position

The reality is we haven't been able to finish games on offense this year, but we have finished some games on defense, so that's good. Our run defense has been terrible at times though, so that is a concern, definitely. And we've given up too many 3rd and longs. That's also been frustrating.

Obviously our defense is not perfect, but the main problem this year has been on the offensive side. We'd probably be 7-4 or better if our offense could finish games this season. You score more points in the second half after gaining a lead in the first, and you win those games. Unfortunately, we haven't.

LB is probably just as much of a pressing need as OT at this point. Its awful watching these guys.

The defense has been solid. My problems with the D so far has been:
1. Underutilize Jordan. He played more last week so hoping thats a good sign...he can play
2. Terrible LB play- Thus we cant get off the field on 3rd and long
3. Patterson cant stay healthy and while other guys have played okay at times...its a big drop off
4. Run D hasnt been dominant

My biggest complaint is probably the issue with how out of sync our O and D are. Offense scores Defense gives points right back. Defense gets a stop then the offense can't score. We can never get ANY momentum which is why so many of our games are so close at the end.

Im saying Wheeler is bad. Ellerbe has underperformed, and Koa Misi isnt good.

So basically... yes.

Ellerbe is not the problem, Wheeler, Misi, Clemons, Starks and Soliai are. Hopefully we let both (Starks and Soliai go next year) and substitute them with cheaper same quality players until we hit one solid DT on the draft. I believe on Ofense we only need a power running back and a good RT. But on defense we need lots of help; SS, 2OLB, 2DT and a healthy CB.

Our LB's are in large part the reason we are struggling vs the run. Misi is ok. Ellerbe has been below average, but may be salvagable. If we benched Wheeler tomorrow, and had Jordan and Jenkins split time at his position, I don't think we'd be any worse, and would possibly be better. You have to keep in mind that we wanted blitzing linebackers, and as a result, we've sacrificed instincts, coverage ability, and tackling.

The idea behind making the switch was that it would help against Brady, and maybe it does. But it hurts us in too many other games.

The other big issue we've got is in the secondary. Our draft picks aren't playing at corner, and so we've got Carroll on the field, when he really should be a dime back/ST only. Jones is under performing, and Clemons is the average complimentary player we though he was.

This thread is so off base... our defense has been pretty damn solid this season. We are CONSTANTLY playing from behind and CONSTANTLY having to attack on the defensive side of the ball. Imagine if we even had 1-2 games where our offense was getting a nice lead and the defense was allowed to pin their ears back?

Every single game we are putting pressure on our D to have to make a big stop instead of getting anything done on offense. Just look at last week... in the first half the defense set up our offense on Carolina's side of the 50 THREE times... and we got 6 total points from it... that game shouldn't have come down to the final drive, our defense had given up 13 points all game AND put our offense in a position to score a lot of points...

This defense has been causing turnovers, been great against the pass, and strong up front. If we had even an average offense, you'd see how much better our defense would look.

Back
Top Bottom