Our free agents and unrealistic expectations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Billk78, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

Today on Rotoworld it's reported that Sean Smith is seeking 6 years 43 mil (Jason Mccourty $). Hartline wants 5-6 million per (less than Jordy Nelson makes). Long wants a boatload too.

Im wondering what in the world these guys are basing the asking prices off of? Does Sean Smith, as well as his agent really think he is as good as Mccourty? Is this just a part of the bargaining process to get more money? Is it because we have a lot of cap space?

But cmon. I love to keep our players but they have to be realistic about what theyre worth. I still havent read anything about what reggie wants.

Honestly, let Smith and Hartline test free agency. I doubt they will get half of the amount they think theyre worth. Those numbers are extremely high.

2. Phins89

Phins89 Well-Known Member

If Hartline wants that $$$...then **** him. I'd rather bring in Devery Henderson and Mike Wallace.

3. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

If I was Ireland I would seriously start laughing in Sean Smith's face. Then I would walk over to the door, still laughing, and hold it open for him to walk out.

4. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

this is where I miss players like Jason, Zach and Sam. They we're always willing to redo their contracts to bring in more talent. Seems like these guys see how much money the team has and feel they deserve it.

5. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Jordy Nelson scored more TDs this past season than Hartline has in his 4 year career and Jordy Nelson missed 4 games and parts of two others with injuries.

6. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I was expecting this from Hartline, based on his inflated numbers, and Long, based on his inflated reputation...but Sean Smith don't let the door hit you on the way out.

7. PHAZINPHINZPHAN

PHAZINPHINZPHAN Seasoned Veteran

Although I think there asking prices are high, I feel they will probably get the numbers they are asking for or more.

8. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

All of these players are asking for way too much money, and I wouldn't miss any of them if we replace them. I mean we're acting like these guys helped lead us to the playoffs. This is a losing team. Nobody is safe.

9. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

You have to start somewhere, and you don't start negotiating from the bottom up. All three will fond out their market value through this process and if we can make them a deal I'm sure they will. Smith is the one that worries me. There is such a need at corner that he might be over paid elsewhere... and that while creating yet another hole, and that might not be all that bad.lol

10. Phins89

Phins89 Well-Known Member

Starks, Bush, and Clemons. The only ones coming back.

11. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

This

Also where did armando/miami herald/ rotoworld come up with these numbers? Have the agents of smith and hartline or the players said what they are seeking or is armando guesstimating?

12. adrianbello360

adrianbello360 Active Member

Well you also have to think that the players are shooting for the stars, trying to get as much money out of the organization as they can.

Eventually once the times boils down they will budge from their first viewpoints and have realistic demands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Well, to be fair, they didn't lower their salaries. They re-did their contracts and got money later on or got more guarantee money. It helped the team that particular year but they didn't get less money.

Ozzy rules!!

14. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

as far as sean smith and hartline.... this could be their one chance to make some serious dough in their career. that's how they and their agents view it. these two both have never really been paid by this organization. you're talking about a late 2nd and a 4th round pick. I don't blame them they've both started for a while, and this year they absolutely were our #1 corner and receiver. but the problem is those 2 areas sucked on our team.... catch 22 really. not good enough to be our starters but were, and now wanted be paid like they are. Now is probably the time to replace them. As much as I want to see Starks, Hartline, Bush, Smith, Long back... This draft and free agency have wideouts, corners, and offensive line, and runningbacks too. We also have young guys behind some of them chomping at the bits (Odrick for Starks) (miller/Thomas for bush) (maybe martin for long)

15. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

Im not so sure letting them test the market is so bad. If someone pays them a fortune, so be it. They arent worth that much. But most likely seeing their market value will be a huge reality check and they may come crawling back to Miami.

16. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Hartline will be resigned imo.

17. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Everybody is replaceable and many in house replacements are already on hand. Let them hit the market and see what is there.

18. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

The best way to figure out their worth is let them test the market and come back to allow us to match. If not bye-bye. The only guys we should be signing now is guys that want a deal done for long term security giving contract value to the team.

19. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

how are his numbers inflated when he cant score?

20. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

And your point? Don't think for a moment if Nelson was a FA he wouldn't be commanding money. He would ask for more than Hartline so your comparison is mute. If Hartline is asking 5-6 then Nelson would be in the 8-9 area.

21. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

Add Long to this list now Reports are that he wants 11 Mil....price of a top tier LT. No way Miami pays that with his injury history and bad year. IMO he is the least likey of our free agents to come back.