Our schedule really works against us this year.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phintim, Jul 20, 2010.

1. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Reviewing our schedule this year and after the Buffallo game it is really stacked even much more so than the rest of the AFC east. We play the NFC and AFC North this year and their best teams are all stacked at the top half of our schedule. If our schedule was in reversed it would be much more to our advantage. Even with the Jets and Pats were on the road early it would give us a much better advantage later in the season. With such a
    young defense at the OLB, FS and NT positions along with a new defensive coordinator it should take some time to gell and this schedule throw us right into the fire. Much more so than the Jets and Pats who do play the same teams but have a better mix of easy hard games mixed in. Our easiest games all start happening in a row after the half way point. Look at the schedules between us the Jet and Pats and they have an advantage.

2. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Yea but you could also say that we have a great chance to finish strong being that our final games will be against worse teams..

Every game is going to be tough next year tho..unless were alot better than most of us think..and we stay healthy..

3. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Lets try not to start off 0-3 AGAIN this year and I feel things will work out.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I dunno. Maybe.

But look at last year's schedule. With just a little more talent on the roster, we would have beaten the two "unstoppable" teams that ended up in the Super Bowl in Weeks 2 and 7. We also beat in Week 5 a team that went on to the AFC Championship Game.

You gonna tell me we can't steal a couple of wins from the high end teams at the beginning of the schedules this year?

All things being equal, I'd rather have a softer second half schedule than first half schedule. Teams with momentum at the end go places in the playoffs, and at a time when everyone is hurting and injured, it's nice if you can get those victories and get into a rhythm.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah but that first 8 games on the sched is a whopper...i mean where's the cupcake...buffalo on the road in week 1 maybe...

at green bay
    at minnesota
    at baltimore

holy cow

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Gonna have to pull something out of their sleeves.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

this season could go horribly wrong in a hurry...it really could...better win at home cause the road is no joke...gonna have to steal a few

8. dolfan94

dolfan94 Scout Team

It depends on the way you look at it. If you play at the beginning, you're more likely to have a full team, and in the Fins case, that helps us.
    You also want to play the tough teams when they havent gelled yet, as they're much tougher later when getting ready for the playoffs.
    You also want to play the easy teams in the last couple of weeks as they might throw off the towel

Its a matter of perspective and people become conspiracy theorists over this

9. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

It's a great test for the Dolphins. If they do well, it means they are a top team in the NFL coming a long way from 2007. I'm looking forward to it.

10. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

can we for once not worry about the schedule? its up to our coaches to prepare the players, and the players to perform every week. winners win and losers cry about not winning.

11. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

If we were a veteran team or a surprise team like in 08 then then I would say OK but we are niether. What I do feel we have working for us is Tony Sporano who for the most part has us prepared much better than most coaches. Still take the Atlanta game last year one IMO we had a decent chance to win but we Tony at that point just had no idea how big the holes were we needed to fix. You could see him make the changes each game still when they are lined up like this year it is going to be very tough. The Jets and Pats are must wins and playing them both back to back early in the year down here when they are more used to heat and later in the season in the cold up there when it is cold clearly favors them. Then to get to play them right after the Minn road game up there is just yuky. The good thing is we have the bye right after that but we could easily be 1-3. Hopefully not. Green Bay and Cinci would be much more winnable at home. I guess you can say we get a break maybe with Pitt at home with their QB situation. Really starting with Tenn is when we are going to have to win out IMO for a playoff spot with the Pats and Jets standing in the way at home. Like I said earlier our defense has those 3 question marks and it is going to be very difficult to get them all answered right off the gun. Pre season will tell us a lot. Its the percieved compostion of our team plus the schedule that has me thinking it is going to be double tough. Here is to a few steals and winning against every opponent we should beat!

12. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This is a talented team. I expect us to compete with any team and have a strong chance of beating any team we play next season. The schedule scares me, but it also excites me. We'll know where we stand at the halfway point.

13. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Our team may be more talented this year but at the same time in those types of games it usually works against you to have so much young inexperienced talent in those types of situations. Last year lets face it our offence played their heart out with a solid game plan, plus we had Ferg to stop the run and Taylor and Porter for all their age and faults brought something to the table which helped. The secondary should be improved with just experience but that could be a draw as we had WIll Allen early and no telling how his knee recovery is coming. FS is a toss up. I will go on to say that those 2 games against Indy and NO at home IMO caused some of the injuries that we saw later along the offensive side of the ball. Of course in reality we did win the the NO game that the refs made the bad call on.

14. das8929

das8929 Starter

Yea, this is the most brutal schedule I have seen, seems even harder than last year. This is why we need to make a statement against Buffalo... our next 7 games are against legitimate playoff contenders, with potentially 5 Super Bowl Contenders in there (NE, NYJ, MIN, GB, and BAL). Wouldn't surprise me to start 2-6 or 3-5 :(

15. dolfan94

dolfan94 Scout Team

We need to beat the Bills. No matter what. And then from then Minn on the road, Jets at home, and Patriots at home. We can win at least 1 if not 2 or all 3 of those to be at 2-2 or 3-1 after a tough stretch, right?

16. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

We have the chance to finish strong. We have to maintain a good record in the first half. With this schedule we have a brutal start, but an easier finish that we need to capitalize on.

17. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Last year it was supposed to be the toughest schedule ever, and we could have won 10+ games. Those things we needed last year are in place today... So let the party begin!!!

18. FinFan 13

FinFan 13 A True Fan

To be the best, you need to beat the best. This schedule is awesome. I'd rather play all good teams than bad one's.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it better be at least .500 cause i'd say to have a realistic shot at the playoffs we'd have to finish no worse than 6-2 if that's how we start...

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i'll take 2-2 after the first 4 games going into the bye and 4-4 after the first 8 games...anything less and i think our playoff shots are very slim

and if we did lose week 1 in buffalo some how some way the roof may come off of this joint...

21. FinFan 13

FinFan 13 A True Fan

If we lose to Buffalo at home, yeah there is a problem. We won't lose though. Not only are we a better team, but being as it's the first game, game-planning can start a few weeks before and we should be uber ready to put a smack down on the Jills.

22. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Yeah lets play all of our games in sunny 80 degree weather against the 16 worst teams in the league. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. We have to play on the road against good teams and that's the way it must be if you want our Dolphins to be the best

23. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Why people feel the need to ***** and moan about schedules is beyond me.

Hell, with injuries, we don't even know who's going to be good by the week we play them anyway.

24. Ricky'sWeinerBong

Ricky'sWeinerBong Tony Jabroni

i see 9-7. i still think this team lacks another playmaker at wideout. for this franchise to have legit chances year in and out to win 10 games they need another wr to complement Marshall. too many questions at OLB at this point as well imo. i think the Phins are another draft and FA period to really having a team that can go 10-6 or better consistently. and at some point this regime has to get an athletic, mis-match at TE. have to.

25. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Sure you can say that and you can say the same thing if key members of your teams get injured. But it is still a fact. Who , when and where we play does make a difference especially in a tight conference like ours. Here are 4 key teams out side our conference that the Jets, Pats and Phins all play. Baltimore, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Greenbay. All 4 teams have a very big home field advantage. We play Pittsburg at home the rest on the road. The Jets and Pats play Pittsburgh on the road and the rest of teams at home. Advantage Jets and Pats to Phins 3-1. Take into consideration that we are playing most of these teams back to back on our schedule where the Pats and Jets have a Buffalo type games between playing those teams to prepare and rest up and that is even more to their advantage. Pats do have Indy and San Diego which gives an advantage to the Jets and to us for that consideration. Still though going back to our conference it is to our advantage to play the Pats and Jets down here in the winter but the schedule is just the opposite and we play those 2 teams early back to back down here early. Advantage Jets and Pats. Tony will have to be at the very top of his game at the start of the season!!

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

nowhere did i ***** and moan about the schedule...i just said the first 8 weeks it was really tough...and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there's 5 legitimate super bowl contenders in those first 8 games...

but it does take someone with some appreciation for the talent in the league outside of south florida...

27. Lilseb93

Anything can happen. Didn't we all think the Panthers were going to beat us in Carolina, and didn't we think the Bucs were going to be tough last year. We also thought NO wouldn't be that great. Nobody knows what's going to happen.

28. hoops

hoops exited stage left

you may have thought the bucs were gonna be tough last year...although i have no idea why

29. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

look how easy sandiego's schedule is! we do have a very tough schedule

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  30. Lilseb93

I was just coming up with examples. They always play us tough. You get the point.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

And that's why they will go 13-3 and lose in the playoffs because they weren't tested. Rivers has yet to sniff the SB.

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i'd get the point if it was worded a little differently originally...anyways...i got it now

32. Lilseb93

Sorry about that. I wrote it too fast. Anyways, I meant that anything can happen and we don't know who is going to be good or who is going to suck.

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

thats what i thought...lol...tampa is gonna suck my friend

34. Lilseb93

Well history says they make the playoffs this year. Since 2002, every team that has gone last place in the NFC South has gone to the playoffs the following year. I'm not a Bucs fan, but I'm just saying.

35. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

The thing I like about this regime is that every year we make moves that make us better. The schedule should never worry a great team. With Nolan aboard even with our young guys, I do not see a problem, in fact, I see more sacks coming this year and in a hurry.

We play three divisional games in the first four weeks. I do not care so much about the non-conference games even though they will be tough. We win those divisional games with a more potent offense, then things will open up because the wildcat will keep coming except with more deception from Marshall. The key for us is injuries. That is the only way we have a downfall IMO because the QB position is going to be good-great along with Marshall opening things up making big plays. There are no such things as easy schedules because eventually, you have to face the best anyways.

I am more afraid of Oakland on the road than I am the Jets quite frankly because we will let down for someone like that and they will be a good team.

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

so oakland and tampa will be good teams this year...got it

37. Lilseb93

No only the NFC South. There's something weird about it lol.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

for tampa to somehow win the division josh freeman has got to make the leap to elite like now...i don't see it...and where's the real talent??? i like styles white i think his name is that dude can play but as long as you got sabby piscatelli starting at safety you're gonna have issues stopping anyone...ronde barber may well be 200 years old too

40. Lilseb93

I'm not a Bucs fan, but this is a cool stat.

Carolina finished last in 2002 (7-9) and finished first in 2003 (11-5)
    Atlanta finished last in 2003 (5-11) and finished first in 2004 (11-5)
    Tampa Bay finished last in 2004 (5-11) and finished first in 2005 (11-5)
    New Orleans finished last in 2005 (3-13) and finished first in 2006 (10-6)
    Tampa Bay finished last in 2006 (4-12) and finished first in 2007 (9-7)
    Atlanta finished last in 2007 (4-12) and finished second with a wild-card berth in 2008 (11-5)
    New Orleans finished last in 2008 (8-8) and finished first in 2009 (13-3)

Also, no team in the NFC South has earned back-to-back postseason appearances since the division's creation in 2002