Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting.

Wildbill3

Onion Fetish
Club Member
Reaction score
Well this should be a fun conversation.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Whos-been-doing-the-best-job-of-drafting.html

The biggest obstacle in doing an objective analysis is to select the metrics that do the best job of measuring performances. DRAFTMETRICS decided to use a weighted combination of four measures to measure each team’s draft success.

• Total number of games started
THE MEASURE: The number of games started by each player drafted in his NFL career
PRO: Simplest measure to understand
CON: Earlier years are weighted more heavily than later years because a 2003 draftee has the opportunity to start more games than a player drafted in 2012

• Number of players active for the 2012 season
THE MEASURE: The number of players drafted that were active for the 2012 NFL season; players who missed the entire season due to injury are NOT counted
PRO: Measures the depth of a draft class
CON: Gives more emphasis to later years (players are more likely to still be active)

• Average share of annual starts
THE MEASURE: This is calculated by averaging each team’s percentage share of total
annual starts over the study period
-For example, the Bears 2003 draft class started 520 games, representing 5.8% of the 9040 total starts by the 2003 draft. This calculation was repeated for each team in each draft year and the results were then averaged for each team
PRO: All years are evenly weighted
CON: It’s a pretty geeky metric

• Pro Bowl
THE MEASURE: The number of drafted players who were selected for the Pro Bowl as
original selections; injury and other replacements don’t count
PRO: Gives credit for drafting the best players
CON: Tends to be weighted in favor earlier years as those players have more
opportunities to be selected

I guess this puts a monkey wrench in the narrative of most of the fire Ireland experts here...I have always stated that Ireland has drafted well when it was HIS drafts. This more than proves it. Now those good drafts must turn into wins over the course of next two - three years...

Misleading. Just because a player starts doesn't make him good. It's not successful unless you're winning games.

misleading statement is misleading. Are you actually trying to shoot this down by penalizing Ireland/parcells for drafting guys who did start for us? Isn't that the whole point of the draft is to draft players who can start for you?
Misleading. Just because a player starts doesn't make him good. It's not successful unless you're winning games.

Seriously? Is this a real post? Starting for an NFL team, something only 264 people per year in the entire world get to say, doesn't make him good? Rationality has left this forum...

Seriously? Is this a real post? Starting for an NFL team, something only 264 people per year in the entire world get to say, doesn't make him good? Rationality has left this forum...
more like objectivity. but who's reasoning?

misleading statement is misleading. Are you actually trying to shoot this down by penalizing Ireland/parcells for drafting guys who did start for us? Isn't that the whole point of the draft is to draft players who can start for you?

I'm not penelazing them for drafting players... I'm penelazing them for not winning games. Shouldn't the 2nd best drafting team win games?

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

No it's a figment of your imagination.

I'm not penelazing them for drafting players... I'm penelazing them for not winning games. Shouldn't the 2nd best drafting team win games?

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

I don't know. who was our head coaches during the last five years?

Not when you don't draft a QB. It doesn't matter what the rest of your team looks like if you don't draft the right positions. It doesn't matter how good Ireland is at finding linemen and linebackers, running backs, and whatever else he drafted. He is obviously a damn good talent evaluator. If you came to this thread and said, "it doesn't matter because he is drafting the wrong positions", I could respect your opinion. But no, you said this nonsense about "just because they start doesn't make them good." That's weak. You don't like Ireland and you can't be objective. It's as simple as that.

And that isn't me defending Ireland. The guy can spot talent, but he seems to have no idea what positions to draft for the modern NFL. He didn't grab a QB for 4 years, and that was pretty much because Ross mandated it. He seems to undervalue drafting playmakers. That doesn't mean he can't spot them, because we don't know if he can or not. That means for whatever ass backwards reason, he values the trenches and front 7 more than other positions. Maybe having Philbin and Sherman in the mix can help straighten him out, who knows. But whining about Ireland in every thread like a little girl on her first period is beyond obnoxious at this point...

The NFL has and always will be a coaches league. Talent matters yes, but is a coaches league. When you have 50 moving parts, its more than players. Scheme's and game planning are CRITICAL.

The drafts were good when you think about it. We just haven't drafted players that will win games like QB or a dynamic play maker. This all won't matter after FA and the draft. We have a chance to erase the woes of the past with this off season.

What a flawed study. Not taking into accounts wins.

The top 5 of this terrible study...Chiefs, Dolphins, Cardinals, Browns, Eagles...

All 5 have sucked in the winning department.

Chiefs got the number 1 in the draft this upcoming April...

LOL.

If you suck, chances are you are going to have a lot of turnover and replace veterans with cheap draft picks...As you continue to suck, more draft picks will play as the existing veterans get booted...And check out the top 5...Teams that still stink, which means the draft picks aren't any good.

So they start alot of games, but suck...Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom